MCM, Bum Phillips Bowl

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Not feeling comfortable about this one, especially after last week. Maybe MLC was not all that after all, but they sure gave us a run for the money. I believe PNG wins, but by 1 score... which makes it that much more exciting. Gonna be a battle, no doubt. #PNGPround

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
Not feeling comfortable about this one, especially after last week. Maybe MLC was not all that after all, but they sure gave us a run for the money. I believe PNG wins, but by 1 score... which makes it that much more exciting. Gonna be a battle, no doubt. #PNGPround
I hear ya…I’m not sure how I feel about this one…lol! I just don’t think MLC was able to rebound from 2 losses back to back cause they haven’t looked the same since! Has Nederland improved…ABSOLUTELY, but that was also a very humbled and beat down MLC team!! You just never can tell with MCM but I fully expect Coach Joseph and McDaniel will be READY for them!!

19PNGndn68

It's in that kid's head.
I won't say which, but there's a PNG receiver that caught his first pass last Friday night, if I'm not mistaken, and hopefully will now have turned a corner.
And similar to the Nederland punt game, I've held my breath on every PNG extra point this season. All of these things are as much mental as anything of course, just like my golf swing.

Monday DCTF update has us favored by 26 points.
Matt Stepp said 11 PNG on Monday. But is backing up like a craw dad seeing the pot boiling. Now he and Greg Tepper are saying it’s a toss up on Tuesday. They did give MCM it’s due on their Tuesday Podcast.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
One of the state’s best rivalries gets renewed in the Golden Triangle with first place in 8-5A Division II on the line, so get your tickets now as there’s no doubt there will be a capacity crowd on hand.

Nederland has been a pleasant surprise under first year head coach Scott Rich. A big reason for the Bulldogs success has been their offense, which is averaging 48 points per game during district play. In last week’s 43-35 win over Montgomery Lake Creek, RB Hubert Thomas, III was sensational by ripping off four touchdowns on the ground and topping the 200 mark; his 90-yard touchdown run combined with an interception return for a touchdown proved to be key blows for Nederland who avenged a playoff loss to Lake Creek a year ago.

Top ranked PNG upped its winning streak to 22 games last week with a 37-0 shutout win over New Caney West Fork. It was the second straight lopsided result for the Indians after they had a pair of one score wins to open district play.

Texas OL commit Jackson Christianleads one of the best offensive line groups in the country and the Indians offense features balance with junior QB Connor Bailey, WR London Nunley and RB’s Tyson Henry and Blair Chatagnier. The defense for the Indians, which has been so good the last couple of years, has seen their share of struggles, but it appears they are rounding into form with consecutive strong performances.

This will be the final exam for that unit. If PNG wins this one, the district title can be clinched next week. At home in this atmosphere you’ve got to lean to the championship pedigree of Jeff Joseph’s squad.

Stepp’s Pick: Port Neches-Groves by 11

cal81

We have seen plenty of good backs this year. Considering the whole body of works, this game is not a toss up, rival game or not.

PN-G will win this game comfortably, similar to last year.

Each season is a little different. PN-G’s 7-0 this year has more substance than Nederland’s 6-1, so they are not very close if trying to compare the two.

PN-G offensive line has beat every opponent it has faced this year and that will not change with this game.

Rez

We have seen plenty of good backs this year. Considering the whole body of works, this game is not a toss up, rival game or not.

PN-G will win this game comfortably, similar to last year.

Each season is a little different. PN-G’s 7-0 this year has more substance than Nederland’s 6-1, so they are not very close if trying to compare the two.

PN-G offensive line has beat every opponent it has faced this year and that will not change with this game.
Nederland feels confident, as they should, but I think there’s an assumption that we’re about good as Lake Creek. I think we’re significantly better right now than what LC has become. I don’t think LC is the same team they were at the beginning of the season - They’re missing four defensive starters (d-line, lb, corner, and safety). That’s huge. They’re also demoralized. When LC played us they were thinking deep playoff run and a district championship. When they played Nederland they were fighting for their lives, injured, frustrated, and needing to do something they haven’t had to do in the three seasons they’ve been a contender : Get better after a loss (their only losses the last two seasons were in the playoffs). Basically, Nederland had to play their best game of the past three seasons to beat LC, and we beat LC playing our worst defense in three seasons.

But, I have to give Nederland their flowers: They played very well last week. They didn’t win just because of LC mistakes - They won because they’re playing good football and doing a lot of things the way they should be done. They might be covering the run better than Huntsville right now - If they do, that’s a problem. We need to have gotten consistently better in all phases of the game, because that’s what Nederland is doing.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I can see Nederland selling out to stop the run early and Nunley having a field day. He’s a very good receiver who runs good routes and can go up and get the ball in tight coverage. Nederland will have that to contend with in addition to the Chatagnier-Tyson Henry nightmare.

As much as everyone wants the Indians to keep it on the ground, it’s necessary to loosen up the defense. That will be even more important in the playoffs.

19PNGndn68

Matt Stepp said 11 PNG on Monday. But is backing up like a craw dad seeing the pot boiling. Now he and Greg Tepper are saying it’s a toss up on Tuesday. They did give MCM it’s due on their Tuesday Podcast.
MCM received good coverage on DCTF women talking football on today Wednesday noon podcast. Editors Ashley Pickle and Mallory Hartley cohosts. Said it was on their bucket list to attend the game. Can PNG NDN Press set up an interview with them on MCM?

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (7-0)
vs.
Nederland Bulldogs (6-1)

Friday, Oct. 25, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium, Port Neches, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores