nelson to LU ??

lu cards

100+ Posts
bark said:
lu cards said:
bark said:
bamakid said:
I heard something about Neslon looking at Sam Houston State. Can anyone confirm?
\*********************************************************************
That would be a much better opportunity for him. They have a great program and showed lots of class in calling of the 1st team in the 3rd Qrt and allowing the 3rd team in the 4th.

Score could have been 166 to 0.
lamar has the nicest stadium and athletic facilties in the conference.they also have by far the best fan support.with lamars current leadership theres no doubt lamar football will be the class of the southland in a few years.so i dont see any other fcs school as a better opportunity.lamar also has made it public it plans to move to fbs in the next 2 to 3 years.lamar first game next year is in honolulu versus hawaii.nice little carrot to dangle.
If past performences are an indication, they have never been at the top football. Better than SFA,SHSU and MeNeese? I know from your post you are a big LU fan and that's great but really? SHSU is # 4 or 5, you must be kidding.
you cant go by past performance because football has been gone for 20 years.you have to look at the leadership of the university and there commitment to football.the money being put into the program.the intent of the university to go fbs.the quality of the facilities.the continued improvement of the campus and tougher standards to get in lamar.the university is dead set on having a quality football program.thats the bottom line.lamar has completly run mcneese out of setx and mcneese is struggling.sam hasnt been good till this year since duston long was there.point is i see no reason why lamar cant be a dominant fcs program or an average fbs program in the near future.will it happen ?who knows but everyting is there for it to happen.except maybe the coach.jury's still out on him but you got to give him another year.i expect to see some veteran assitants to be hired this off season.

bark

1,000+ Posts
lu cards said:
bark said:
lu cards said:
bark said:
bamakid said:
I heard something about Neslon looking at Sam Houston State. Can anyone confirm?
\*********************************************************************
That would be a much better opportunity for him. They have a great program and showed lots of class in calling of the 1st team in the 3rd Qrt and allowing the 3rd team in the 4th.

Score could have been 166 to 0.
lamar has the nicest stadium and athletic facilties in the conference.they also have by far the best fan support.with lamars current leadership theres no doubt lamar football will be the class of the southland in a few years.so i dont see any other fcs school as a better opportunity.lamar also has made it public it plans to move to fbs in the next 2 to 3 years.lamar first game next year is in honolulu versus hawaii.nice little carrot to dangle.
If past performences are an indication, they have never been at the top football. Better than SFA,SHSU and MeNeese? I know from your post you are a big LU fan and that's great but really? SHSU is # 4 or 5, you must be kidding.
you cant go by past performance because football has been gone for 20 years.you have to look at the leadership of the university and there commitment to football.the money being put into the program.the intent of the university to go fbs.the quality of the facilities.the continued improvement of the campus and tougher standards to get in lamar.the university is dead set on having a quality football program.thats the bottom line.lamar has completly run mcneese out of setx and mcneese is struggling.sam hasnt been good till this year since duston long was there.point is i see no reason why lamar cant be a dominant fcs program or an average fbs program in the near future.will it happen ?who knows but everyting is there for it to happen.except maybe the coach.jury's still out on him but you got to give him another year.i expect to see some veteran assitants to be hired this off season.
Absolutley nothing personal but I disagree, last (and only) good moment was when Mike Marlow kicked a FG to beat Baylor. Lamar has always found a way to screw up football. Time will tell -till then it's all about opinions.

bandkid

Staff member
All things been equal, either would be a good opporunity. At LU, Nelson would have the opportunity to make a name for both himself and a fledgling program that has yet to really establish itself and earn respect. That gives him the chance to shine and set his own sets of traditions and precedents, as well as be a part of something from the beginning. At SHSU, Nelson would be joining an excellent team and a program that constantly fields first rate, nationally ranked teams.

With that said, I hope he gets a shot at a DI school. Wouldn't that be something?

bark

1,000+ Posts
lu cards said:
no worries.i enjoyed the debate.
Same here. I also realize my views aren't in the Majority but thanks for engaging me Really enjoyed it

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
As much as I love LU, I wouldn't recommend any athlete going there until they get a fix on their horrible coaching situation. LU is in the same shoes we were in 4+ years ago.

90NDN

500+ Posts
I don't understand how UTSA was able to get someone like Larry Coker who was at Miami before he got fired? I really don't know much about the current LU coach. What's wrong with the current situation?

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
Lack of game planning is evident. They find something that works, then. Mysteriously switch away from it mid game. The OC is horrible. SHSU literally threw a party when we took him. They feel that he almost killed their football program. By the way, SHSU is now undefeated on the season with a deep playoff run a la Dustin Long era in sights.

The head coach has favorites that are really horrible FCS level players, but they came with him from a JUCO so he is loyal to them regardless of failure to perform.

I could go on and on...

bark

1,000+ Posts
pngfan93 said:
Lack of game planning is evident. They find something that works, then. Mysteriously switch away from it mid game. The OC is horrible. SHSU literally threw a party when we took him. They feel that he almost killed their football program. By the way, SHSU is now undefeated on the season with a deep playoff run a la Dustin Long era in sights.

The head coach has favorites that are really horrible FCS level players, but they came with him from a JUCO so he is loyal to them regardless of failure to perform.

I could go on and on...
Totally agree with the JUCO statement. SHSU, SFA, McNeese etc... are light years ahead of LU and all have had success in FB - LU NEVER has had ANY thing good about Football (other than beating Baylor once)

lu cards

100+ Posts
woodard will have a lot pressure on him next year.im not going to judge him and his staff till after next year.rome wasnt built in a day.cant say ive been impressed but you have to give the guy more than 2 years.shsu,sfa and mcneese have had success and theyve all had some down years.lamar has brought back football in a first class way.everything has been done with the mindset it will jump to fbs in a few years.the money is there and in most cases wins follow the money.before it was dropped the university didnt care about football and the product reflected that.simmons is dead set on having a top notch program(including band).when the president of a university has that mindset the coach better win.lamar is a totally different university than it was 10 years ago for the better.i think we can all agree on that?

bandkid

Staff member
lu cards said:
woodard will have a lot pressure on him next year.im not going to judge him and his staff till after next year.rome wasnt built in a day.cant say ive been impressed but you have to give the guy more than 2 years.shsu,sfa and mcneese have had success and theyve all had some down years.lamar has brought back football in a first class way.everything has been done with the mindset it will jump to fbs in a few years.the money is there and in most cases wins follow the money.before it was dropped the university didnt care about football and the product reflected that.simmons is dead set on having a top notch program(including band).when the president of a university has that mindset the coach better win.lamar is a totally different university than it was 10 years ago for the better.i think we can all agree on that?

Lamar is definitely improving. Simmons, in my opinion, has been a very good president for Lamar. The university is making strides and I think a successful football program will do a lot to restore school pride.

As for the Lamar coach... well, we'll just have to wait and see. I think the jury's still out but the verdict isn't far away.

badndn

500+ Posts
Purple Runs Deep said:
Maybe I'm wearing purple blinders...but with a few lb's I think he could play in the Big 12 somewhere I really do.
Definetely Sunbelt (ULL or UNT) or CUSA (UH, SMU)

bandkid

Staff member
Purple Runs Deep said:
Maybe I'm wearing purple blinders...but with a few lb's I think he could play in the Big 12 somewhere I really do.

Nah, get him to the SEC. That's where real college football is played. ;D

And cue the UT fans.... ;)

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
p-49936-university-of-texas-longhorns-college-football-dynasty-banner-hf-8119.jpg

bandkid

Staff member
Come on, IndianFan. You had to know this was coming when you posted that. ;D

Alabama13NCLogo.jpg

Notice the "2009" in large font. ;D

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores