New Student Events Center

NDN79

500+ Posts
Did anyone see the article about tonight's school board meeting and what one of the items on the agenda was? An indoor student events center to be used by all the sports teams, band,cheerleaders,indianettes, etc. The funding is to come from all private donations. Sounds great to me--what does Indian Nation think?

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Thank you NDN79 for sharing this ... sign me up as a private donor. I do not have much, but I can give something. This is long overdue and can be used by many, many different student groups: athletics, band, cheerleaders, indianettes, theater, indian singers, or other groups, perhaps academic groups, that need a place to meet indoors. Private donors = the way to go. That is basically how many other schools fund such buildings, i.e., Lake Travis, Westlake, Odessa Permian, Highland Park, Midland Lee, Southlake Carroll, Euless Trinity, etc. Once again, PN-GISD can lead the pack in SETX for a state of the art facility. I hope the school board goes forward with a study or survey to see if enough private donors will be interested. I would imagine that alumni far and wide would contribute something ... a dollar here or a dollar there, or perhaps more. I like the sound of this news ... we are moving into the 21st Century for ALL of our students. Good times to be an Indian.

Go Indians. Peace.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to dig up my earlier post about the same topic. I removed it soon after posting because it sounded too far fetched.
But maybe not...

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
Port Neches-Groves Independent School District
Board Document
MEETING DATE: April 13, 2010
AGENDA ITEM: Consider Approval to Construct Multi-Purpose Student Activities Building on PN-G High School Property
The athletic department is interested in the building of an all-purpose facility for the students of PNG ISD. The building would be 31,000 square feet and contain a 50 yard football field and a 50 yard net. The building will not be air-conditioned and will contain space heaters in the corners. The facility would be used by the band, soccer, golf, baseball, softball, and football. The building would be funded from private donations made to the athletic booster club. There would be no cost to the district for construction of the building. The all-purpose facility would be located behind the field house next to the new academic wing. The current plan for this location is to be a grass practice field. The cost to the school district (after the building is finished) would be liability insurance and electricity. Liability insurance is estimated at $300 to $400 a month and electricity would be minimal. A building of this caliber has the ability to impact PNG students for years to come.
Recommendation: It is recommended that the Board of Trustees approve construction of a multi-purpose student activities building on PN-G High School Property.
Resource Personnel: Brandon Faircloth, Athletic Director/Head Football Coach

NONS81

All the Board was asked to consider was the use of the property, the District would own the building once it was built and maintenance would be the districts responsibility, but not much to maintain, cinder block building, no AC or heat to maintain, but it helps keep the kids out of the elements for practices. I would like to make this part clear to everyone, this will be done with PRIVATE DONATIONS AND NOT DISTRICT FUNDS!!! The only costs that are known for sure at the moment are the price of the turf (approx. 150,000 and I think the lighting was approx. 50,000) Nothing else has been quoted yet - Ballpark figure was 600,000 total but Coach Faircloth said he thought that was a little high...so maybe around 4 to 5 hundred thousand. The building will be located behind the fieldhouse.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
I fully support this building (so long as it doesn't raise taxes or put the district in financial straits). The lot across from the bus barn is slated to become a parking lot which is needed for our visiting teams. Did this pass last night or what---we went to the Indian baseball game in Nederland and couldn't go to the meeting. Does anyone know what happened?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
It wouldn't make sense anyway to have kids crossing the street to reach it. An ~70 yard practice field was already planned in the campus renovation plands for the area between the street and new building.

Costs for Permian to build an indoor facility with a 26,000 SF field and 9,600SF weight room was $1.5M in 2007. So this sounds like a scaled down version. Regardless, an indoor, 50 yard + end zone turf field sounds nice. Large fans built into the sides of the building would be a nice feature to mobve the air.

NDN NATION

100+ Posts
IndianFan said:
It wouldn't make sense anyway to have kids crossing the street to reach it. An ~70 yard practice field was already planned in the campus renovation plands for the area between the street and new building.

Costs for Permian to build an indoor facility with a 26,000 SF field and 9,600SF weight room was $1.5M in 2007. So this sounds like a scaled down version. Regardless, an indoor, 50 yard + end zone turf field sounds nice. Large fans built into the sides of the building would be a nice feature to mobve the air.

We are talking 14-18 year olds not 5 year olds. I mean if they can't cross the street then they shouldn't be driving either.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The point is convenience and the fact that a misguided, 4,000+ lb. vehicle doesn't care if they're 5 or 50. It's a pointless discussion anyway. It makes more sense to have it near the field house.

NONS81

Overhead doors and fans were mentioned by Coach Faircloth as well as space heaters...this is just a facility to get out of the elements and still be able to practice. Nothing fancy, but it will be well used by most sports...boys and girls. Also, allows for another place to practice if another team or sport is on the football field during good weather. As far as I know, the funds have not been raised yet, so not sure when this will actually come to fruitation.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
And, any practice that doesn't take place on the actual stadium field, is less wear and tear on the stadium.

I LIKE it!

NDNfan#1

100+ Posts
squaw said:
I fully support this building (so long as it doesn't raise taxes or put the district in financial straits). The lot across from the bus barn is slated to become a parking lot which is needed for our visiting teams. Did this pass last night or what---we went to the Indian baseball game in Nederland and couldn't go to the meeting. Does anyone know what happened?
The Board approved the use of the property. Coach Faircloth said that now that the use of the property is approved we can start the ball rolling.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Topic I started in January that will help visualize the proposed location.

Now the deep pockets need to step up...

lu cards

100+ Posts
im all for it but another project that needs to be on the radar is baseball/softball bleachers,scoreboards and some type of canopy over the bleachers.

OldEagle

500+ Posts
It would be great if the new parking lot for baseball/softball could be enlarged. If you don't go early for a game, you may not find a parking space. There is room to expand the part of the parking lot closest to the street. Hopefully this will be done eventually. Don't get me wrong - the new parking lot is very nice and to be able to walk all the way to the baseball field on a sidewalk is also very nice. Just wish the parking lot was bigger.

pngmom4

500+ Posts
I just wish these people would learn how to park. I think we need to hire an officer to wave the cars inot their spaces. Did ya'll notice the Lexus parked in the driving lane? An another blocked the sidewalk, prompting a call to the PNPD.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Just a hypothetical for fun ... we need to raise $1M for PN-G to build a Multi-Purpose Student Activity Center ... we need 5,000 PN-G graduates/fans to each donate $200. I'm in. 4,999 more alums/fans to go. Tell you what, I'll double-up to $400, so now we need 4,998 to go get started. This is doable. This project can be done. Have the PN-G Booster Club and the PN-GISD form a committee and tell me where I should send my check. I say raise more than $600K ... raise $1M ... and install an A/C and heating unit in that building. Throw in a couple of bathrooms, too ... in case 2 or 3 students can't hold it until he/she reaches the main school building or the athletics field house complex. It is a good time to be an Indian. It's about time we start leading SETX again. Let the outside world love us or hate us, we are the INDIANS.

Go Indians. Peace.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores