Next Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsCowboy

Torino,

Yes and no. Katy will bring a lot of pressure. Gary is continually criticized for his OC and lack of imagination on offense. Consider Memorial - wealthiest school South of Mockingbird Lane, no expectations, be competitive, beat Stratford more than you lose to them. TOTAL pay may be highest in Houston (principal makes $185 a year base). Nobody expects you to live "in the neighborhood.

Katy has lower costs but higher demands - beat Northshore every year; beat Westlake and go to JerryWorld; winning district is foregone conclusion since Gary has only lost one game to another Katy school in a decade.

Gary was handed the keys to the AMG/GTR and turned it into a 650 HP Bentley. His has far exceeded what Mike set up for him. BTW, for you youngster's the HS team Mike Johnston played on beat PNG three times in two years.

Do you want to try to do more and better than Dad, or provide well for your family, have your kids go to Memorial, and have time to watch them grow up?

Torino

500+ Posts
Torino,

Yes and no. Katy will bring a lot of pressure. Gary is continually criticized for his OC and lack of imagination on offense. Consider Memorial - wealthiest school South of Mockingbird Lane, no expectations, be competitive, beat Stratford more than you lose to them. TOTAL pay may be highest in Houston (principal makes $185 a year base). Nobody expects you to live "in the neighborhood.

Katy has lower costs but higher demands - beat Northshore every year; beat Westlake and go to JerryWorld; winning district is foregone conclusion since Gary has only lost one game to another Katy school in a decade.

Gary was handed the keys to the AMG/GTR and turned it into a 650 HP Bentley. His has far exceeded what Mike set up for him. BTW, for you youngster's the HS team Mike Johnston played on beat PNG three times in two years.

Do you want to try to do more and better than Dad, or provide well for your family, have your kids go to Memorial, and have time to watch them grow up?
From what I've seen, and I'm a retired professional educator, Spring Branch Memorial HS and District are far from what we remember from the 60s and 70s--academically and athletically. I guess if a family didn't purchase a house in SB they might be OK. Property values, I'm told, are in flux.
But, coaching to low expectations is a plus.

PatsCowboy

Torino,

You are correct. The district is now officially a "minority district". I have two grandchildren in the district & I live in the district. My ex went from first grade through graduation in SBISD. So damn many "fur-in-ners" moved in with goofy ideas about public education. That's why Kinkaid, St John's, Episcopal, and Strake have gone sky high on tuition and have waiting lists. Those are also helped by the total destruction of Lee. I don't feel that my grandkids got the education that their parents got. While PNG was very limited on electives, my core courses were far better than what they are getting.

Athletically, they are competitive for the most part, and excel in tennis & swimming. Soccer & lacrosse have taken a toll on football. Gary Koch is a good coach, as is Allen over at Stratford. They get a few prospects, but the big boys aren't hanging around the two schools like they used to. In the last decade, they might win district, but then get destroyed by CyFair in bi-district. Under the new alignment, SBISD schools will get HISD schools in bi-district, so they should get one or two wins before bowing out.

You know Memorial's favorite cheer - "We've got money, yes we do, we've got money more than you".

Memorial has virtually no student parking, so there is a lottery for parking. A couple of years ago, a Hispanic girl, who had no driver's license much less a car, won a parking spot. She and her mother auctioned it off for over $20,000. Today that young lady is using that money plus scholarship funds to go to A&M-Corpus.

How do I know? The buyer is one of my son's best friends.

I tell my grandkids that PNG had a student parking lot, but there wasn't a single new car in it. They can't believe it since they will go to a school full of BMWs, MBs, Audis, F150 & 250s.

bark

1,000+ Posts
Just curious BUT why the sudden interest in PNG? I’ve been posting about 12/14 years live here, kids went here, some teach here

my grandparents went here, parents, me and wife,in-laws went here too played on ‘75&76 teams
Point is I have several dogs in the hunt. How bout you‍♀️

PatsCowboy

I never knew the site existed. My aunt found it through one of her friends who told her about it. She was at PNG for the great teams of 53, 54, 55. I have always followed PNG and occasionally attend a game when it is convenient. Listen to them on the computer when I am free on a Friday evening. Now, I can sometimes watch a game on my computer. While I followed, my interest waned when Faircloth was hired because I thought it was a bad hire, and still do.

In fact, my son and I had the pleasure of taking the president of the FSU Alumni Association and the president elect to the 1999 Kendall Briles Bowl in the Astrodome. One of the most fun experiences of my life, since I have been a member of The Florida Foundation since 1984. I got to know Coach Bowden through my good friend Rick Lantz. FWIW, Coach Bowden had his number listed in Tallahassee information. A direct quote - "If a man is willing to spend his time and his dime to call me, I'm not too damn good to talked to him"

Their reaction to the PNG contingent was hilarious and amazing. Two quotes from that game:

"My God, this is a religious experience"

"We have a guy on a horse carrying a flaming spear. When he rides out and plants his spear near midfield, all our fans give him a polite golf clap. You have a 17 yr old kid that raises his spear in the air and 35,000 people rise and start singing. Can we borrow about 25,000 of these people for the National Championship game?"

As I said before, I lived through what I consider two of the worst decisions in Texas HS football history. I'd rather not see a third. The Beaumont Surprise and the PA News won't let you read anything online without paying. Seldom, but occasionally, one of them will have something of interest that I can't read. I thought that this site might have some of the answers. I don't know why Faircloth was fired or who orchestrated it. When I found it, I started reading comments assuming that these are people "in the know". I truly want to see a homerun hire, like Etheridge was, Malone might have been, Danaher definitely would have been.

PNG is a special place and is known as such across the Great Republic. It's time that the elected officials and educrats get serious about getting PNG back to its rightful place among the elites of Texas HS Football.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
It occurred to me that it would be an interesting package deal if Scott Joseph (Houston Aldine Davis HC) , Blake Joseph (OC and QB coach) and Jeff Joseph (DC) were to end up here. Certainly some family coaching pedigree there in Gary Joseph (Katy HS). And Blake was a good QB. Problem is none of those 3 have a winning record as HC but that could be more of an indicator of where they are, or were coaching. During this wild time of speculation, it makes as much sense as anything else.

IndianTaxPayer

100+ Posts
Just curious BUT why the sudden interest in PNG? I’ve been posting about 12/14 years live here, kids went here, some teach here

my grandparents went here, parents, me and wife,in-laws went here too played on ‘75&76 teams
Point is I have several dogs in the hunt. How bout you‍♀

Because the school district is hiring a new AD/HC to replace one that I will say I respected and know. 'Some' school board members I respect, and I know they ALL read these threads.

Last edited:

IndianTaxPayer

100+ Posts
It occurred to me that it would be an interesting package deal if Scott Joseph (Houston Aldine Davis HC) , Blake Joseph (OC and QB coach) and Jeff Joseph (DC) were to end up here. Certainly some family coaching pedigree there in Gary Joseph (Katy HS). And Blake was a good QB. Problem is none of those 3 have a winning record as HC but that could be more of an indicator of where they are, or were coaching. During this wild time of speculation, it makes as much sense as anything else.

If a new hire has never been a HC but has had success as an DC/OC while working with winning records then that indicator of HC records does not matter. If the best assistant coaches are hired by the new HC for DC and OC without regard to family choice first (nepotism), then there should be no issues.

bandkid

Staff member
I never knew the site existed. My aunt found it through one of her friends who told her about it. She was at PNG for the great teams of 53, 54, 55. I have always followed PNG and occasionally attend a game when it is convenient. Listen to them on the computer when I am free on a Friday evening. Now, I can sometimes watch a game on my computer. While I followed, my interest waned when Faircloth was hired because I thought it was a bad hire, and still do.

In fact, my son and I had the pleasure of taking the president of the FSU Alumni Association and the president elect to the 1999 Kendall Briles Bowl in the Astrodome. One of the most fun experiences of my life, since I have been a member of The Florida Foundation since 1984. I got to know Coach Bowden through my good friend Rick Lantz. FWIW, Coach Bowden had his number listed in Tallahassee information. A direct quote - "If a man is willing to spend his time and his dime to call me, I'm not too damn good to talked to him"

Their reaction to the PNG contingent was hilarious and amazing. Two quotes from that game:

"My God, this is a religious experience"

"We have a guy on a horse carrying a flaming spear. When he rides out and plants his spear near midfield, all our fans give him a polite golf clap. You have a 17 yr old kid that raises his spear in the air and 35,000 people rise and start singing. Can we borrow about 25,000 of these people for the National Championship game?"

As I said before, I lived through what I consider two of the worst decisions in Texas HS football history. I'd rather not see a third. The Beaumont Surprise and the PA News won't let you read anything online without paying. Seldom, but occasionally, one of them will have something of interest that I can't read. I thought that this site might have some of the answers. I don't know why Faircloth was fired or who orchestrated it. When I found it, I started reading comments assuming that these are people "in the know". I truly want to see a homerun hire, like Etheridge was, Malone might have been, Danaher definitely would have been.

PNG is a special place and is known as such across the Great Republic. It's time that the elected officials and educrats get serious about getting PNG back to its rightful place among the elites of Texas HS Football.

Bobby Bowden was a great coach and a better man. I had the pleasure or meeting him when I was in undergrad at Alabama, and again when I spent a summer at Florida State. I hated it when he passed. I thought very highly of him.

In these absurdly political times, I wish we could get a relationship set up with Florida State and the Seminole tribe. Could potentially be another home run for the school and community.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
If a new hire has never been a HC but has had success as an DC/OC while working with winning records then that indicator of HC records does not matter. If the best assistant coaches are hired by the new HC for DC and OC without regard to family choice first (nepotism), then there should be no issues.
It all depends. If I was king for a day and had a fantasy pick, I wouldn't think twice about needing to avoid an Art+Kendall Briles, or Todd+Riley Dodge combo just because they were related. But you are correct, skill over relation. Sometimes you can have both. I was just speculating that the Joseph factor could have interesting side notes.

VegasNDN

If we don't seriously consider Coach Kline of the The South Central Louisiana State University Mud Dogs, then we deserve to never win again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores