But that it’s a coin flip
We have a very good chance

We’re better tacklers than most of the team SOC has faced
Their RBs don’t just fall down they keep trying to escape and often do
They won’t against us (I hope)

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Armchair coach stuff below. Oak cliff’s defense appears to be very good at playing off of blocks, and their linebackers can cover a lot of ground very quickly. They’re not huge (220~225) on the line but are quick and play with good strength and leverage. Running game will require our backs to hit the line fast and hard and with some power into the second level for consistent 3-4-5 yard gains and movement of the chains. No dancing in the backfield, that will get you a tackle for a loss. One cut max, go hard and protect the ball. Otherwise they will have time to recover and minimize the gains. Chatagnier is best equipped for that but Nguyen can hopefully remind everyone that he has nearly 2000 yards this season. Nguyen will need to keep driving with his legs when he’s hit as he has done so many times in the past. Both backs are going to have to lay it on the line. Fight through the tackle. Also, it’s imperative that #33 and #15 block when assigned to pass protection.

SOC players have a mentality that the game is a fight with rules. And they believe that they will win any fight. That’s a mental state that has to be countered to win a game. Not sure how the PN-G coaches can flip that switch with the Indians mental state, but it’s a key to the game as much as physicality.

bandkid

Staff member
Remind me again, what were the predictions from DCTF at the start of the playoffs? I know I’ve seen the graphic here but I can’t find it.

bandkid

Staff member
Thread 'Nov 8 DCTF Playoff Predictions'
https://forums.pngindians.com/threads/nov-8-dctf-playoff-predictions.5351/

We beat two of the teams picked to win it all, FBM didn’t make it a second game with us, and SOC beat two.
… and it confirms exactly what I suspected. Matt Stepp started out as the only DCTF analyst picking SOC to win it all, though he picked us to win our region. Now he’s picking us over SOC in the championship.

Makes me wonder what he’s seen that changed his mind.

Worth noting that Stepp’s regional title predictions were the most accurate of any of the DCTF analysts.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Would anyone have guessed 5 years ago that we’d be here going to our second consecutive finals ?
I’ll be honest I didn’t expect it.
Usually not but I put placeholders in the schedule and playoff history for all 6 games after last season was over. The prospects for this year felt different. Doing the same on the site for next year and planning to be in Arlington.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
This cannot be overstated. Coach Todd and the SOC staff are masters of halftime adjustments. We saw that in the title game last year, and we’ve seen it throughout SOC’s playoff run this year. This team can flip the scoreboard on a moment’s notice.

Be ready to make adjustments of your own at every stage of the game. We’ve played conservatively when we get up big throughout our playoff run, to mitigate injury risks and avoid playing all of our cards on game film. That was sound strategy then. Not this time. Put the pedal to the metal and don’t let up until the clock runs out. Be ready to empty the bag of tricks if you have to. If we’ve got secret weapons that are still secret, now’s the time to whip them out. We can’t play the second half not to lose, we have to play the whole game to win it. I don’t care if we’re up, we’re down, or how big the margin is. Do not hold anything back. This one’s for all the marbles.

Aligns exactly with my thinking. We need to maintain a calm intensity throughout the game, regardless of the score, and adopt a flexible game plan that can shift a bit with the flow of the game. Without being reckless, this is a game where we may need to take some measured and carefully calculated risks. We need to avoid turnovers and capitalize on any turnovers they make on their end of the field by scoring points, hopefully 7.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Aligns exactly with my thinking. We need to maintain a calm intensity throughout the game, regardless of the score, and adopt a flexible game plan that can shift a bit with the flow of the game. Without being reckless, this is a game where we may need to take some measured and carefully calculated risks. We need to avoid turnovers and capitalize on any turnovers they make on their end of the field by scoring points, hopefully 7.
Calm and intense mentally, but intense physical effort during the few seconds of contact.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
PURPLE and WHITE OUT at Jerry’s World! We should send SOC a nice THANK YOU card for that!! :pIMG_1981.jpeg

Last edited:

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
They’re trying to get DeSoto and Duncanville to show up early in white to compete with our crowd.
Since it’s only 16 miles from their hood, shouldn’t be very tough to draw a crowd. Tiny SE Texas towns 300+ miles away competing with Dallas area.

Sounds like PN-G folks need to reach out and invite and encourage folks to go. Statewide alumni, we need you there. I am bringing 6 extra people from the Dallas area.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Calm and intense mentally, but intense physical effort during the few seconds of contact.

I was trying to figure out how to describe a calm, focused mentality coupled with intense physicality during contact (until the whistle blows needless to say), both of which are sustained for 4 quarters regardless of the score. So I think we are on the same page. I spoke with several players on the 75 team a few days prior to their SC game, and i’ll never forget how calm, focused, and confident they were, while at the same time being extremely respectful of their opponent.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I was trying to figure out how to describe a calm, focused mentality coupled with intense physicality during contact (until the whistle blows needless to say), both of which are sustained for 4 quarters regardless of the score. So I think we are on the same page. I spoke with several players on the 75 team a few days prior to their SC game, and i’ll never forget how calm, focused, and confident they were, while at the same time being extremely respectful of their opponent.
Just saying, SOC plays at a different level than most teams we have faced. Very active. Very fast. Very intense. Runners need to work hard to gain every yard and maintain drives. O-line needs to protect Bailey like their life depends on it. SOC linebackers will be a load.

Lonestar JR

To Indian Fan and all. Statewide Alumni are active. I am having special purple and white shirts made and are to be ready for pick up on Wed at a local tailor. The shirts say:
PNG TRIBE
TOP OF TEXAS
(BOOKER}

JIM & ANN

It is 486 mile from my house to ATT stadium. We will be traveling on Fri. We will make a number of stops on the way and we will proudly show off the "Purple and White" at every stop.

Over two weeks ago we made our reservations at the Arlington Hilton. So, we will get up early and get over to the stadium as soon as the parking gates open.. When the information is available, will someone direct me to the site that gives the parking lot gate where we need to park.

The parts of my family that will be at the game:
Niece from Argyle
Nephew and his wife and family (6) from Groves
Brother and his wife from Houston

I am also contacting our Class of '59 events coordinator to get out the message that the band kid's and all other auxiliary members can have adequate funds for food.

PS: Booker is the most northern incorporated community in the great state of Texas.

God bless PNG

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores