Next Game: 5A Division II State Championship

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
I'm not taking anything from the 2022 Indians. That was a team that took time to adjust to a new system and really came into its own after we got to the playoffs.

The 2023 Indians are better at this point in the season than the 2022 Indians were. They're more accustomed to the system, more seasoned, and more disciplined. All in all, they're better prepared for the championship than last year.

We're going to win this, folks.
ABSOLUTELY!! Last years team left a HUGE mark on PNG HISTORY, set the bar HIGH and paved the way for “…such a time as THIS!”

Chief1987

I'm not taking anything from the 2022 Indians. That was a team that took time to adjust to a new system and really came into its own after we got to the playoffs.

The 2023 Indians are better at this point in the season than the 2022 Indians were. They're more accustomed to the system, more seasoned, and more disciplined. All in all, they're better prepared for the championship than last year.

We're going to win this, folks.
Yeah Liberty Hill only scored 14 points last year and scored 35 this year. Them 22 boys were pretty good. I do hope your right about the win though.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah Liberty Hill only scored 14 points last year and scored 35 this year. Them 22 boys were pretty good. I do hope your right about the win though.
7 points bad decision by coaching staff to leave a hole in the middle
Wide enough to drive a car through on the punt coverage formation.
7 points on a fluke play that was an interception 99 out of 100 times.
LH did have their top backs this year and they were as advertised.
Otherwise this ‘23 defense played a great game against LH. The 35 points given up is misleading.

#1 NDN FAN

On Saturday, December 16, 2023, PN-G has a shot to:
  • Win a state championship in football, which hasn't been done since 1975 - 48 years ago.
  • Win 15 games, the most wins ever in a single season. The current high mark is 14 games (1975, 1977, and 1999).
  • Have a 15 game win streak, which would be the second longest streak since the 1975-1976 Indians reeled off 25-games in a row. 14 in a row is currently tied for second with the 1977 Indians.
Is it Saturday, yet? Go Indians.
Here is a trivia fact: the last time PN-G won the state championship in football we were the home team and wore Purple uniforms. The three years since then when we lost in the finals, we wore White. This year, we are the home team, wearing Purple. I think that is a good omen for this Saturday!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Dallas Morning News is picking SOC to win 38-14. Not surprising as they don’t think good football is played anywhere else.

Usedtocould

1,000+ Posts
I do remember the PI that was very questionable and that scoring there really turned the momentum. But as for the personal foul I don't remember that. Either way, though, a PF after the play was over should be adjudicated as Unnecessary Roughness or Unsportsmanlike Contact. That comes with an automatic first down.
On the left side of the play their WR CHASED DOWN our CB
they called the PF
But repeated 3rd and long long
But they made a completion over the middle
Should
Would been a punt.

Xcrystalbeachbum

100+ Posts
Dallas Morning News is picking SOC to win 38-14. Not surprising as they don’t think good football is played anywhere else.
If I'm coach each and every player gets a copy....

Last edited:

bandkid

Staff member
Here is a trivia fact: the last time PN-G won the state championship in football we were the home team and wore Purple uniforms. The three years since then when we lost in the finals, we wore White. This year, we are the home team, wearing Purple. I think that is a good omen for this Saturday!
I’m glad you pointed this out. I suspected this because I knew we were in white in 1999 and 2022, and I knew we were in purple in 1975, but couldn’t find anything specifying either way for 1977.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Now that you further refreshed my memory (I have for the most part tried to forget this game until recently), I knew at the time that the penalty was huge. I also think we would have stopped that drive, and the TD before halftime gave them momentum when they were getting the ball to start the second half. It then became critical to get a stop on their first drive and we were only partially successful as they got a field goal. The SECOND safety on the botched punt then allowed them to tie the game. Avoid those types of mistakes and we bring back the trophy this time. We have had some problems with bad snaps at times this season, so the coaching staff should devote extra practice time to long snaps in preparation for this game.

Upon looking at the replay I could not see whether the PF was before or after the play, but the PI looked bogus to me. Would have at least held them to a FG. I think at the time I thought the PF was after the play and should have stopped the drive, possibly even giving us the chance to scores more points before halftime. In any case, this sequence of events shows how just a few plays in that game turned the tide against us.

Last edited:

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
I’m glad you pointed this out. I suspected this because I knew we were in white in 1999 and 2022, and I knew we were in purple in 1975, but couldn’t find anything specifying either way for 1977.

I remembered we were visitors because I remember Plano being solid maroon jerseys.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
I do remember the PI that was very questionable and that scoring there really turned the momentum. But as for the personal foul I don't remember that. Either way, though, a PF after the play was over should be adjudicated as Unnecessary Roughness or Unsportsmanlike Contact. That comes with an automatic first down.

The PF was against the SOC offense and therefore would have brought up a 4th and long for SOC if after the play. Instead it was 3rd and long and they converted it to keep the drive alive for a subsequent PI against us on 3rd and 7.

Last edited:

Usedtocould

1,000+ Posts
Upon looking at the replay I could not see whether the PF was before or after the play, but the PI looked bogus to me. Would have at least held them to a FG. I think at the time I thought the PF was after the play and should have stopped the drive, possibly even giving us the chance to scores more points before halftime. In any case, this sequence of events shows how just a few plays in that game turned the tide against us.
Had to be after the play or it would have just been a block

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Had to be after the play or it would have just been a block

Good point, in which case the refs botched the call. I could not really see the foul itself on the replay I watched (players involved not in camera) but upon further review #81 must have kept “blocking” after the play was blown dead. Should have brought up a SOC punt.

Usedtocould

1,000+ Posts
Good point, in which case the refs botched the call. I could not really see the foul itself on the replay I watched (players involved not in camera) but upon further review #81 must have kept “blocking” after the play was blown dead. Should have brought up a SOC punt.
Yes he chased him down almost into the end zone Our DB was just in pass coverage

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I remembered we were visitors because I remember Plano being solid maroon jerseys.
White or purple uniforms, Indians just didn’t bring their A game that day, whatever the reason. Plano had a very tough defense on top of that with Billy Ray Smith dominating in that game. Also Justin Eicher was injured in the game which was a big blow.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores