NEXT GAME: PN-G (13-1) vs Liberty Hill (10-4)

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
I feel like we ll fit even if some of us have to sit on the visitors side

I think LH packed their side last time, but I don’t know if some of that was PNG fans. In any case, there may not be much room on the LH side. Will be a sell out for sure. I hope NDN press is able to broadcast.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Capacity at Legacy Stadium is much better with the grass berms able to handle overflow. FCU Stadium has no such options. Field level is street level. Have to think that Cypress was Liberty Hill's preference.

Usedtocould

1,000+ Posts
Each side seats 5,500. Identical layout on each side. Subtract probably 500 for the band and Indianettes.

But I agree with Usedtocould, it is probably the nicest high school stadium in the Houston area. Great facilities to watch a game. The Berry Center facade on the south end is classy and the stadium staff is usually top notch.
Parking is also easy (easier)

bandkid

Staff member
I think LH packed their side last time, but I don’t know if some of that was PNG fans. In any case, there may not be much room on the LH side. Will be a sell out for sure. I hope NDN press is able to broadcast.
If I recall correctly, ~3,500 tickets were sold on the Liberty Hill side at Legacy last year. I’d expect LH to bring around 3,000 fans this year. There should be plenty of room for extra PN-G fans - and I expect we’ll take it up.

100+ Posts
Last season FBM tried the same ploy by selecting Galena Park Stadium, which (on-line) lists a seating capacity of ~11,000. IIRC we were home, and there were plenty of seats. The FBM crowd that appeared sparse in the FBM stadium was more concentrated and appeared to be larger when seated on the visiting side of GP stadium.

100+ Posts
The thing that’s been bothering me the most is our punt coverage and return

They seem disorganized

A group of 7-8 defenders going to an imaginary spot while the ball hits 10 yards behind them with opposing players potentially capable of fielding the ball or the bounce and having an easy TD

THEN
on the other side
How many times have I held my breath PRAYING the ball doesn’t hit one of us on the head -turnover-
We’re not the only team that does this but it boggles the mind

Worst case was when our punter shanked that one and it went straight up in the air

Everyone acted like the play was over and all of our players are running forward (ahead of the ball) to me you have to have some players “finding” the ball in the air instead of blindly running downfield

The punter didn’t even run to down the ball he was just upset with himself for having a bad punt.
These things can catch up and bite you someday
I know what you're talking about. The punt coverage down field appear to be keying on the punt return guys, rather than the ball, until the ball either hits the ground or is fielded. There've been a couple of close calls, although I presume that if the ball hits one of the kicking team then the ball is considered downed.

Punt returns bother me a bit more, and one or more coaches are often on the sidelines yelling and waving their arms, for return team members to get out of the way of the bouncing ball.

It's been many many years since I was involved in punt coverage or returns in HS, but I don't recall it being much different then, than it is now.

bandkid

Staff member
Last season FBM tried the same ploy by selecting Galena Park Stadium, which (on-line) lists a seating capacity of ~11,000. IIRC we were home, and there were plenty of seats. The FBM crowd that appeared sparse in the FBM stadium was more concentrated and appeared to be larger when seated on the visiting side of GP stadium.
We sold out Galena Park stadium for that game. The stadium staff were redirecting PN-G fans to the FBM side 30 minutes before kickoff. That was confirmed by the Port Arthur News.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts

We are reportedly visitors in this game. However, there are roughly equal numbers of seats on both sides and we will likely be on both sides in any case. On the other hand, the game is highly likely to be a sell out given that the larger Katy Legacy stadium game last year was a sell out.

100+ Posts
All I know is that I plan to do my best to get tickets. I had to watch on Texan Live last season.

Torino

500+ Posts
That stadium is too small for a PN-G playoff crowd. Especially a state semi-final game. The teams that are playing PN-G are trying their best to limit our fans who can sit in the stands on the PN-G side.

No matter what the size of the stadium, PN-G will always have the largest crowd in our games. Whether it's 12,000 on our side or just 5,000, we will always have more than our opponents.
I just remember the huge crowd in 1999 at the state semi-final in College Station.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
30,000 at that game. Vast majority on the PNG side.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
PNGs defensd will have to play hard and very smart. RB Long is a hoss. We know what to do we just have to execute it.

Never easy to defend a good option team, given most players have never seen it. Fortunately our coaches, and some of our players HAVE seen it last year. Additionally, we seem better at defending the run than the pass, and they won’t be passing much (however, we still need to be ready for it, as a few strategic bombs can be very effective when you are not expecting any passes). By the same token they will probably not be able to stop our offense at all, so the very worst that could happen is probably a shoot out. They reportedly do have one or more great backs that were injured and could not play in the game last year. However, I feel fairly confident that even if stopping their offense might be more difficult than last year, we can still do it often enough to get the job done. But we still have to execute and, as usual, avoid turnovers and other major mistakes.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores