Not Loud Enough

itybityndn

I started this thread, and in no way was I trying to criticize the kids in the band. I just want to actually HEAR Cherokee from where I am sitting, also I want the people in section F to act like they are at an INDIAN football game and get excited, sing cherokee, stand up, and clap. I think the band does an awesome job, but I can't hear them from section F. The stadium is much bigger now and I wish we could make Cherokee more powerful for everyone to hear.

Also what about the video opening on the scoreboard. I was really disappointed in it. I really had high expectations for what the opening on this huge jumbo tron. I can't believe Nederland can do a better job at their video than we can. When they hear that "dong" the fans go crazy.

itybityndn

NO offense, but I could also care less about what rating the band gets. I go to football games to get pumped up and feel the excitement of Friday night and the band plays a huge part in that along with the cheerleaders, Indian Spirit, players, indianettes, and fans.

badndn

500+ Posts
I gotta agree with one thing, the folks in the far end of section E and all of sections F and G are dead. It's like it's just a social event. I was appauled when our defense was facing 4th down and those sections hardly even realized it. I felt like a loner standing and trying to make noise to distract the BH offense. My family and other friends have been in those seats for 15 years and it wasn't always like this. Section E as it used to be before the renovation was full of knowledgable and hardcore fans that knew what their role was. It sickens me when our boys on the sidelines have to beg us to stand and make noise.

PRIDE in our part as fans.
HONOR the program.
TRADITION like no other.
Don't let it slip away!

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Ya know, all the band reall needs to do is turn their little heads to the left some, and the sound would resonate to the North end of the field. Simple really.

Proud Band Mom said:
Quote from: squaw on Today at 07:39:28 AM
OK, Bandkid, you asked for it. We've sat on the 30 yd line (by choice) for almost 40 years and we are still in the same area. I did get goosebumps when the drums began and I could hear them, but that changed quickly when the rest of the fight song began. It was slow and low. Not many people standing where we were. I used to get goosebumps the first few times I heard Cherokee, but haven't in several years now. The band during the glory days (the 70's) was absolutely awesome. Personally, a lot of fans don't care if the band gets a 1 or a zero at contest--we want to be proud of them every week at the game. We enjoyed watching a different performance at every game, too. Now all we see is the same thing time after time.

Posted on: Today at 03:58:16 PMPosted by: squaw
Proud, you know I luv ya, but I think you may have misunderstood why people are griping. Us die-hard fans want Cherokee played the way it used to be because ALL the fans got involved and excited. Not so with this band. And, yes, the money from concessions should go to the student activity fund. I am going to email this to the superintendent. I've already discussed this with some board members. I, and many others, do care about the Reservation and everything going on. It's the people who care who complain when they see things that are not right.

I copied this from my response on the Indian Band thread. I believe it is appropriate here as well...................

I vehemently disagree with Squaw's comments about the fans not caring if the band gets a 1 or 0 at contest, but only their performance at the games. Please understand that my child is in band. I am biased. However, the number of fans from our Church, work, school staff, and community whom are so supportive is amazing and validates my opinion! Squaw, I do not believe, or do not choose to believe, that you are correct. I think many PNG fans are happy anytime our Indian students are successful. They are not callous people, but care about all of the many successes representative from our students and district. I know I am thrilled when a youth exceeds in UIL, soccer, Relflections contests, HOSA, theater, etc. Their success also reflects the caring staff, the district, the community as a whole and not just the football game. I think most people feel that way.

I'm sorry that this isn't reflective of your glory days of the 70's but this is their glory days. We can all be proud of this band in all they do........and for much more than the games! If you are that upset because things aren't done the way that is was done in the 1970's, that is regretable for you.

That said - keep up the good work band! Bring home 1's from contest and scream Cherokee at the games. Many of us are proud of our band! Don't let the detractors from inside this district or outside take away your joy!

Thank you Proud Band Mom for stating your opinion very well!!! I am tired of reading all the negativity about our band and our kids!!! Our band is slowly but steadily growing !!!
Our kids work very hard to perfect their halftime shows and reach their goal of making a 1 at the UIL Marching contest at LCM. This year is a State year and wouldnt it be awesome for our band to bring home a 1 and advance to state competition level !!! This is similar to football advancing to Playoffs !!! But, our band doesnt get the recognition it well deserves like other sports!

If all of our band kids were to read all the ugly negataive comments left about them on this message board, how discouraged do you think they would get for all their hard work and effort they have put into their show/music? It's NOT all about just football!!! Our band students are one of the least recognized organizations at our school!! The students feel unappreciated !! How sad to go thru your last 4 years of school and have soo many people complain about you as a band member..

We love you PNG Purple Pride Band !!

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
PNG Proud said:
Ya know, all the band reall needs to do is turn their little heads to the left some, and the sound would resonate to the North end of the field. Simple really.

Ya know Proud, I think the end zone stands being gone has A LOT to do with this! I don't remember this subject being as heated until last year, and that's the first year without the endzone stands. You know as well as I do, that if there is nothing for the sound to bounce off of, it will just vanish into the night. Maybe all those years when I was in band, it really wasn't that we were THAT loud...our sound was just bouncing off those stands...lol! Really though, I do think that has quite a bit to do with it, and I agree with you on the band turning slightly to the left to project the sound that way...it just may work, oh, and like someone else said, the brass should stand on the bleachers.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
I have to make one last comment. How can these band parents say they are so supportive of other organizations when they haul their butts out of the stadium after halftime??? People around me were asking "where are all these people going?" The response was "these are band parents." Also, does anyone else remember a couple of years ago when band parents were complaining when the district made them buy a ticket to get in the gates? They wanted to come at halftime (free) and leave when its over. Maybe the band parents on here who disagree so vehemently with me should look around their own organization? We want to enjoy the band along with the football game and a lot of you cannot say the same. Case closed. I will not comment on this topic. Hopefully, some of you get my point.

itybityndn said:
NO offense, but I could also care less about what rating the band gets. I go to football games to get pumped up and feel the excitement of Friday night and the band plays a huge part in that along with the cheerleaders, Indian Spirit, players, indianettes, and fans.

So, the band obviously means NOTHING to you!!?? Which is your perrogative!! I often think, what would really happen if the band was NOT to show for a game?? OO, would just be something else for you negative grippers to have to complain about! And sadly, at the expense of the students.

Well, unlike you, the band students have feelings and PRIDE !! All their hard work they do for themselves, the school district and the band supporters~and to be 'cared less' for by a PNG INDIAN fan !!! Again, I hope the kids do not frequent this message board !!!

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
PurplePrideBandRulez said:
itybityndn said:

So, the band obviously means NOTHING to you!!?? Which is your perrogative!! I often think, what would really happen if the band was NOT to show for a game?? OO, would just be something else for you negative grippers to have to complain about! And sadly, at the expense of the students.

Well, unlike you, the band students have feelings and PRIDE !! All their hard work they do for themselves, the school district and the band supporters~and to be 'cared less' for by a PNG INDIAN fan !!! Again, I hope the kids do not frequent this message board !!!

Squaw has a legitimate question, why do the band parents leave right after halftime? I sit by around 10 or 15 and they always leave right after halftime.

Do the band parents not support the football team??????? This works both ways.

Proud Band Mom

100+ Posts
Squaw,

Your assumptions are erroneous. You don't know that those are band parents are not. You simply asked and were told that they were. You were given misinformation. First, observing the number of persons who leave the stands, there is no way that they are all band parents. We do not have that many students in the band! Free admission? Never heard of that item. Wouldn't think of it, nor would many others. The majority of band parents have been in those stands for years and will remain in them when our kids are grown.

The number of band parents, and Indianette parents, who remain for the entire game are the majority of the band parents. Most would not leave after half time because they enjoy the game and stay to the end or because they want to see the band's third quarter traditions in the stands. Our kids are doing another performance with the housequake tradition, teapot, the chicken, etc. We cause a small jam all trying to videotape our kids from the aisles.

I realize you stated that you wouldn't comment on this again. I do believe you will read our comments. My point is this. There is a positive, proactive way to state your concerns, compliments, complaints. There is a negative way that hurts the feeling of a committed group of students who choose to participate rather than just attend school. They do have pride, honor and tradition as well as the rest of us. You can choose to state your opinions in a way that is part of an effort to rebuild or you can rip them apart. This is true for football, sports, UIL, band or Indianettes. The meanspiritedness of your communications goes too far. It's NDN's - all NDN's - and I don't doubt your passion for them at all. Don't doubt ours either.

Oh and if you would like to attend, our "organization" meets Tuesday night in the band hall. You are more than welcome. I would love to meet you.

phetonb

All of this griping and complaining is really not good for PN-G.

Some facts about me. I was in the Band from 82-85 Football years. Class of 86.

I have had season tickets since I graduated. My son is now a Jr. and in the band.

I seldom leave games early. I now live in Lumberton. I drive 35 miles for HOME games.

I sit on the PN-G side when we play in Lumberton.

The folks I see leave early in my area, are not Band Parents. They are usually folks with little kids, who bring their kids to the game to instill Indian pride at an early age. Then at 9:00 or so, they leave so their small kids can go home and not be out late.

Enough about all that....

WE ARE INDIANS....weather we live in the district, or travel in from farther than me to see the Indians Play football, and watch the cheerleaders cheer, the Indian Spirit Dance and the Indianettes and Band perform. That is PN-G FOOTBALL. It is more than just the game, it is the total experience.

Stop griping and just enjoy the experience. I bet the PN-G vs. Ned game this year will be electric!

Pngrick72

Why don't we invite the middle school bands to join the band in the stands only. Every year they do it for 1 game and I always noticed how loud they sounded then. I'm sure everyone could hear Cherokee then.

itybityndn

When I said I didn't care what rating the band gets, it's because It doesn't matter when they are playing Cherokee. That is my concern, THAT I CANNOT HEAR CHEROKEE FROM SECTION F. I have nothing against the bands performances, I think they are great. I would not want to imagine a football game without them. That is why I WANT to hear them from where I am sitting. I can hear them great when they are in the marching I, that's what I would love to hear from my SEATs during the game." I applaud the band for all their hard work and dedication.

I have an idea, everyone from Sections EFG lets go sit on the visiting side, then we will be able to hear it. :clap:

Proud Band Mom said:
Squaw,

Your assumptions are erroneous. You don't know that those are band parents are not. You simply asked and were told that they were. You were given misinformation. First, observing the number of persons who leave the stands, there is no way that they are all band parents. We do not have that many students in the band! Free admission? Never heard of that item. Wouldn't think of it, nor would many others. The majority of band parents have been in those stands for years and will remain in them when our kids are grown.

The number of band parents, and Indianette parents, who remain for the entire game are the majority of the band parents. Most would not leave after half time because they enjoy the game and stay to the end or because they want to see the band's third quarter traditions in the stands. Our kids are doing another performance with the housequake tradition, teapot, the chicken, etc. We cause a small jam all trying to videotape our kids from the aisles.

I realize you stated that you wouldn't comment on this again. I do believe you will read our comments. My point is this. There is a positive, proactive way to state your concerns, compliments, complaints. There is a negative way that hurts the feeling of a committed group of students who choose to participate rather than just attend school. They do have pride, honor and tradition as well as the rest of us. You can choose to state your opinions in a way that is part of an effort to rebuild or you can rip them apart. This is true for football, sports, UIL, band or Indianettes. The meanspiritedness of your communications goes too far. It's NDN's - all NDN's - and I don't doubt your passion for them at all. Don't doubt ours either.

Oh and if you would like to attend, our "organization" meets Tuesday night in the band hall. You are more than welcome. I would love to meet you.
Again, Proud Band Mom, well stated!! I was only able to attend 2 games last year due to my health. I left crying both times after halftime. I was unable to sit and watch my son who was a jr. The Lord has been great to me this year with my health. I pray I will be able to come way before the game and be one of the last to leave the stadium. I know all the parents/people sitting around me do not leave after halftime! The band parents are too supportive of their own child and the whole band together to leave!

Sqaw, please attend our BAC meeting this Tuesday September 1 at 7pm at the bandhall!! We would love to have you and your opinions stated!

PNG Purple Pride Band Rulez <3

squaw

1,000+ Posts
I would love to go. All the fans want is to hear Cherokee louder and better so everyone will stand up and support both the Indians and the band. I am sure not everyone leaving at halftime are band parents, but I do know that a large number of them are. I apologize to the ones who stay to support the team--I didn't mean them. As for your meeting, you can share my posts and discuss them if you so choose. Please tell Mr. Wells to make changes in a manner that will bring Cherokee to ALL fans (maybe even the other side lol). We cannot hear it in Section E. The beginning was better this week, however, then it got slower and quieter. I cannot attend your meeting as some of you have already heard, I am going to Italy. Keep the home fires burning until the 20th! Scalp 'em, Indians.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
This is getting a bit ridiculous. How many times has it been stated that the band is smaller than 30 years ago. And current band members have already said that Mr. Well's told them to blast Cherokee. What else do you expect the band to do?

bandkid

Staff member
squaw said:
I have to make one last comment. How can these band parents say they are so supportive of other organizations when they haul their butts out of the stadium after halftime??? People around me were asking "where are all these people going?" The response was "these are band parents." Also, does anyone else remember a couple of years ago when band parents were complaining when the district made them buy a ticket to get in the gates? They wanted to come at halftime (free) and leave when its over. Maybe the band parents on here who disagree so vehemently with me should look around their own organization? We want to enjoy the band along with the football game and a lot of you cannot say the same. Case closed. I will not comment on this topic. Hopefully, some of you get my point.

My parents have never left the game early. In fact, I can't think of a single band parent who has left the game early. Most of them sit somewhere near the band, so we would notice if they left.

That being said, just what is your point? Is it really that the band parents are "leaving after halftime" and that because of this they have no right to comment on this matter or dispute the claims of a "true" Indian fan, or is it something else?

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
When I was in band, my parents stayed until after te end of the game. The band played Cherokee as the players were leaving the field, and ten played another number as fans were leaving the stands. My parents were usually some of the last to leave. They did so as the band was exiting.

Proud Band Mom

100+ Posts
Squaw,

Thank you for your response. If you wish to have your information conveyed to the BAC or Mr. Wells, please feel free to do so. The comments are yours to convey and not mine. I don't agree with the mean spiritedness you convey but do agree that Cherokee will continue to get louder. I prefer to offer suggestions in a more positive frame.

Perhaps we can see you at a future meeting, schedule permitting. Have a safe and fantastic trip to Italy. It's a wonderful country.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores