Other Team's Noise Makers

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
Well then...off with their heads! Also, we need to cut the arms off all the tomahawk choppers..they copied that from Florida State. Let's kill or maim anyone that does something that wasn' a tradition when we were in school or when our kids played. Let's cut the tongues out of the mouths of those who spell out CONQUEST. Matter of fact, let's put our team out there in all white uniforms since the reason we chose purple was because of the Beaumont Purples. From now on, we need squaw to write a rulebook on what we can and can't do and how she deems someone to be a real Indian fan. I love our traditions and want to see them preserved, but there will be things that BECOME part of our tradition. I have tried to bite my tongue at some of squaw's post, but this is just ridiculous. Yeah, let's punish some poor girl that spent her time and money to make something to support her team. Incredible!

squaw

1,000+ Posts
ndnrocks44 (or whatever your fake name is), I am NOT ridiculous! You have no reading comprehension skills. I have said repeatedly that fans should yell, make noise, stand for Cherokee, etc. The issue is MECHANICAL NOISEMAKERS!!!!! Everyone has a right to support their team however (including yelling woo who) but NO ONE has the right to blow air horns in other fans ears. This is just rude. I don't care if you like me or not, but don't misrepresent what I say and I'll show you the same courtesy. I think we should all get along as we're all supposed to be Indians fans and bleed purple. I even hope no one blows a horn in your ear. Another fan called me wanting me to do something about this man sitting by her who "sneaks" in an airhorn and ruins the game for them.

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
Squaw. You have been on this site and been critical of so many things that you don' t like or think is PNG tradition. You even made a big deal about people singing" to THE purple and white". Guess what? That is how a LOT of people sing it. Every time someone calls you out for saying something, you deny that is what you meant and act like you are the victim. A LOT of people have had a problem with you on this site, so we must all have reading comprehension deficiencies. My response was not only to your response on this topic, but just a general commentary on how you think you are the only real PNG fan on this site. I comprehend that because that is the attitude you portray on this site. I don't like fighting with you either, I just thought what you said was ridiculous. Do you really want to punish a young woman for her way of supporting PNG? I have no doubt that you"bleed purple and white." I am sure you and your husband are great, longtime fans and I commend you for that. I hope that I live long enough and have good enough health to go to as many games as you have. I have been to almost every game PNG has played, except when I was serving my country, for over 30 years, so I should eventually catch you. As far as my fake name....I don't know what that means...I am pretty sure your given name is not squaw, so I don't get your point...maybe it's my poor reading comprehension skills again. I don't know most of the posters on this board and I don't know you, so it is not personal.

ingainerYYZ

100+ Posts
ndnsrock44 ................ you are right on the " addition to " our traditions. Through the years various things have been added to the core traditions that make up our purple & white pride. The one that comes to mind for me is the tomahawk chop. This has only been done in the last 10 years ( or so ) that I can remember. As long as we don`t take away from the tradition then all should be OK. I generally agree with your post`s and you have an uncanny ability to hit the nail on the head without going overboard. And I must say that once again .................. you are right ! :woot: :) :) :) :) :)

NDN79

500+ Posts
Ok folks--I"m sorry. I started this topic to get your opinions on visiting schools bringing in fake train horns,air horns and other noise generating devices to OUR STADIUM. It was not my intent to create controversy or animosity among the PN-G faithful fans. I feel our home crowd should be able to encourage, cheer,and make noise to fire-up the Indians. I was only speaking out against the visiting team having an advantage in our home stadium.

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
Thanks ingainer. NDN 79 you have nothing to apologize about. A lot of threads get hijacked on this and other sites. You had a valid point. I also agree with those who brought up the safety issues involved with those horns. I was watching that UofH game when that happened and it was not pretty.

gpwildcat

As said before, I'm not a big fan of air horns, ball bearing cans, clappers, or other noisemakers beyond clapping, cheering and stomping of feet. I hate it when somebody sitting behind me makes that sort of racket. Unless of course it drowns out the "football expert" that is sitting within earshot, decribing in excrucitaing detail why a play did not work.

I would be in favor of a UIL rule of no noisemakers. But I think it would be wrong for any stadium to only allow thier own team to have them, and ban visitors from having them.

PNGROW4650YRDLN

100+ Posts
I don't have a problem with noise makers. Not ours, not opponent's. An opponent could bring a dang cannon to the RESERVATION and couldn't drown out the chant of the INDIAN NATION if the fans are all in to the game. If you don't like noise you probably don't want to sit by me, but that's ok. I won't be offended and neither will you.

The proximity of the location of an opponents train horn cart/wagon to the playing field is a safety issue and should be addressed by the coaches or refs. prior the beginning of the game.

Bring whatever noise makers you got and let's go make some N O I S E at Pirate Stadium ! GO INDIANS !! WOOOO WHOOOO !!

attakapandn

100+ Posts
I do not understand all the fuss about noise makers! TThis is FOOTBALL! not ballet! The day that noise makers are not allowed at a game is the day the game of football dies!

yankeedawg

500+ Posts
IMO as long as the noisemaker does not interfere with the game or the players (too close to sideline/endzone for example) or is capable of causing injury to others (an airhorn being blasted in someone's ear for example) I have no problem with them. I think it just adds to the excitement and spirit of the fans supporting their team. However, I respectfully disagree with NDN79 - my opinion is that BOTH visitor and home fans should be allowed to use them as long as they meet the safety considerations mentioned.

purplewarrior

Chief Touch The Clouds
Sitting in the stands on the PN-G side you really don't get the full effect of how loud it is until your on the field or on the other side very intimidating. Bring the noise!!!

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
Basically, the game/stadium administrator sets the policy for on noisemakers, so Indian fans are concerned about a visiting team bringing an artificial noisemaker to the Rez, the game administrator (typically a administrator from the host school) can inform the visiting schools of this restriction before the game and then enforce it. The game/stadium administrator can also set policies on outside food/drink, the use of umbrellas etc.

UIL/NCAA rules prohibit the use of the PA system to interfere with the visiting teams playcalling/execution. We have discussed this topic in the band forum as well. The rules are clear on this subject. Having said that, officials are not likely to strictly enforce it unless a coach makes it an issue of it.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
For the record, I remain opposed to mechanical noisemakers for anyone. This may be because someone blew an airhorn in the left ear and I now have acute hearing loss in that ear. I would also support people making lots of noise AT APPROPRIATE TIMES!!! Noise for noise sake is ridiculous, and no one can cheer louder than I do for our team! Anyone who knows me can attest to that.

musicguy_84

I just wanted to step in and correct a factual error and provide some accurate rules information. As far as I can tell, noisemakers of any type, including the air-horns on trailers, are NOT a violation of UIL rules. The rules guidelines quoted earlier from the UIL website were taken from the BASKETBALL manual. The Constitution and Contest Rules section on Athletic Regulations (http://www.uiltexas.org/files/constitution/uil-ccr-section-1207-1210.pdf), which applies to all sports, simply says:

MASCOTS, FIREARMS, PYROTECHNIC DEVICES, BALLOONS. Live animal mascots, cannons, firearms, fireworks, etc. are prohibited at League athletic contests. Except in their normal course of business, emergency vehicles shall not flash lights or sound sirens during the course of a game. Noisemakers are prohibited at League athletic events held in field houses and/or gymnasiums. Releasing balloons is prohibited at League athletic events held outdoors. [Section 1208(n)]

Based on that, since football is not held in a field house or gymnasium, hand-held air horn, propane tanks filled with ball bearings, and even air-compressor driven air horns on trailers are all allowed. Only emergency vehicle sirens are prohibited, and then only during the course of the game (I've seen ambulances at Vidor flash lights and turn on their sirens as their team enters before each half).

There are two football playing rules (http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/FR09.pdf) that could have an effect, both of which have already been mentioned. One has to do with safety:

RULE 1-2-8 - Markers or Obstructions
a. All markers and obstructions within the playing enclosure shall be placed or constructed in such a manner as to avoid any possible hazard to players. This includes anything dangerous to anyone at the limit lines. The referee shall order removed any hazardous obstructions or markers located inside the limit lines.
b. Any markers or obstructions within the playing enclosure but outside the limit lines constituting a hazard shall be reported to game management by the referee. Final determination of corrective action shall be the responsibility of game management.

Note that the "limit lines" are are the dashed lines around the sidelines that create a 12-foot border around the field, or at least 6 feet if space won't permit the full 12 feet (example, due to a track). I'm not sure the dimensions of our field and how the limit lines are marked.

The other rule has to do with noise:
Rule 9-2-1-b-6
Persons subject to the rules, including bands, shall not create any noise that prohibits a team from hearing its signals (Rule 1-1-6).

Rule 1-1-6-b
All players, substitutes, replaced players, coaches, trainers, cheerleaders in uniform, band members in uniform, mascots in uniform, commercial mascots, public-address announcers, audio and video system operators, and other persons affiliated with the teams or institutions are subject to the rules and are governed by the decisions of the officials.

Fans are considered "affiliated with the team or institution" and are subject to the rules. For instance, the home team can be penalized for fans entering the field prior to the game having been declared ended (surely some of you have seen that in college football). The penalty for violating Rule 9-2-1-b-6 on noise is a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. However, I've NEVER seen that enforced.

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
Musicguy84, are you saying that the host school does not have the option of determining what (if any) noisemakers are permissible in the stadium, or simply that this is not covered in UIL football rules? Is it a rule set by the district committee? The reason for asking is because I know that other stadiums have this policy (Waco ISD, for example).

Thanks for the clarification on the basketball rulebook.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores