Our great offensive strategy

badndn

500+ Posts
Indian99 said:
I agree that with careers come pressure, that' a fact of life. I was thinking more on the lines that Burnett has thousands of people every year critique his every move. Most of us do not have that kind of pressure in our jobs.
He is paid very well (by the tax payers of PNG) to handle the pressure and make adjustments in his teams playcalling and his staff if need be! I think that is all that is being asked.

On the Long at Kelly thing, didn't Kelly have a very good season last year when they had talent. IMO Long would do well with our talent base, but I don't think it is necessary to call for Burnett's job, just that he adjust to the talent level. It is not 1974 anymore. I like Matt as a person, as a defensive coach and I really appreciate that he holds his players accountable for their actions on and off the field and I really want him to succeed, just not sure he can change his ways. I sure hope so.

pngbax20

100+ Posts
Can anybody tell me how many losing seasons has he had since he became the headcoach.also most png fans have unreal goals set for the team every year.sometimes and im not saying this year but sometimes ur not going to win it all.everybody talks about our talent but in the same breath they talk about how our defense is undersized.sometimes the talent isn't there.that's way some kids start both ways.to be honest im more upset the the so called fans. Leaving in the 3rd to get home because u had the kindness thing to do or u live so far away all the way in port neches or groves,showed support the kids real well.everybody on here talks about its all about the kids but really most are bandwagon or front runners there when its good but the moment it goes bad they leave.its bs.I stayed to the end it hurt to watch them lose but I stayed to support.and if u stayed then this isn't went to anybody that stayed.im just tried of everybody thinking we're going to win state every year its not fair to the kids because they didn't meet the fans standards and anything less was a failure. My two cents like or hate.

tribesman

100+ Posts
Man, I really didn't expect this type of reaction from this game. My opinion does not mean much, but I'll give it anyway. Did Nederland seem like they were a little more prepared ? Maybe. Did they totally get us out of our routine and away from what we like to do too early ? Maybe. But I was pretty damn impressed with what I saw from Nederland, especially offensively. They have a really good QB, a hoss RB, and some really athletic receivers. I think we got beaten by a really good team. On the other hand, I saw some things about us that get me excited for the rest of the season. Deron may be a force if he keeps this up. We have proven that we do not have to be one dimensional and that we can hurt you in multiple ways. Before you say it, I totally understand that the person calling the plays has to utilize this diversity. That being said, it was one game and we have a long season to go. I personally think that when people come unwound on this board after one loss when lots of things didn't go our way, then it makes us all look bad. Regardless of what anyone says, coaches do look at this board and it's fairly easy to determine the "headhunters" from someone with a more objective and constructive opinion. I know for a fact that Burnett has done a good job in adjusting some offensive gameplans this season. He also realizes that we can throw the football effectively. Don't start jumping ship, we will be there at the end, so will Nederland. We are getting better. Our entire special teams need help, but hopefully we can get those problems corrected. It's a long season, let's win next week and start a streak !

EX79NDN

100+ Posts
Hey I have an idea. Since everyone seems to be unhappy with the coaching staff, why don't we locate Coach Ethridge and get him to come back as HC. We know he has a winning record and can get the job done!!! :helmet: :woot:

Personally I think the ref's sucked!!!! They sure did not help us...

pngbax20

100+ Posts
I would agree that the refs were bad but most of their calls did make a difference just admit we got beat by a better team and move on.

EX79NDN

100+ Posts
pngbax20 said:
I would agree that the refs were bad but most of their calls did make a difference just admit we got beat by a better team and move on.
That's true and I agree. Nederland was just better prepared this week than we were, but the ref's did not do us very many favors. We would have lost this week even if the ref's had not shown up. Not saying our boys are not good, it is just that for "THIS" week Nederland was better prepared. Whether it was in the department of coaching or playing it does not matter. The game is now history and the better prepared team won that round. We just need to pick up our big boy panties and move on!

pngbax20

100+ Posts
Maybe this is the wake up call they need to get them to focus on the road ahead.u learn more from a loss then a win.

PNGfan

100+ Posts
This is going to sound like an excuse, but has anybody thought about this game being the fourth road game in a row this year. This team has played all away games. It's crazy to think that every year PNG is going to win state. 9 years ago was the last time we made it to the final game. I have high expectations every year too, but come on people let's think logical, your not going to be undefeated every year. When was the last time PNG went undefeated? That's what I thought, keep faith. They turned it around last year and they'll do it again this year. The fans weren't very good for MCM, I seen people mad because others were standing during the game. If you want to watch football sitting down, stay at home and watch it on television.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
Indianman You can do with what talent you have who says that Mike Long is loaded with it at Kelly first of all. Say what you want the reason he looks so good to Indian fans is he is the opposite of what we have had here for so long ( not that Im against it). He is an offensive minded coach with a pretty good track record right here in Port Neches. PN-G is well known for hiring coaches who have been assistants here also. So you can have your opinion (that I will respect) but if you call me out then I will reply. So I say again coach Mike Long would be a good candidate for replacing coach Burnett in the future(not that I want to see that). He was an excellent OC here(IE 1999) and I would give him the chance to prove himself.

NDNalways

Having been a PNG fan for over 40 years I can say that I'm a little embarrassed by some of your complaints. I know several coaches, players, teachers, etc. You do not see that these coaches work 7 days a week 15 hours a day. They miss their kids b-days, dances, soccer games, dinners, etc., so that they can put together plans and work with our kids to make them successful. You sit at a game for 2 hours and sum up the whole season in 2 hours. Does every NFL team where players who make millions of dollars every year win every season? NO! Does the same team get to State or the Superbowl every year? NO! These PNG players are KIDS. They do not get paid to play. Add up the hours that these coaches and cheerleader directors, indianette directors, etc., make for after school activities and trust me, they do not make nothing. You are wrong to treat these people like this. You should never criticize these kids or the ones that are coaching them. Not only do coaches, teachers, etc. have to put up with our kids, but they have to put up with all of us as parents. Parents who demand that their kids make the team or get to play whether they deserve it or not. I could never work at a school and that is why I appreciate even more the teachers, coaches, etc. that do. Think before you speak!!!!

NDNalways

modmouse78 said:
Anyone that is in a career has the same pressure. Your boss is not going to come in and say do the best you can and that is good enough. No, it is to be done the way they want it done, and done right. If not, they will find someone better qualified and better capable to do the job. This is the real world. Where your actions are judged and consequences occur when things are not done right. They know what comes with the job when they took it. And how do you know we don't know what they go through. Maybe that is why i am so critical.

Yes, but does your job depend on your performance or the performance of 15-17 year olds? There is a huge difference.

pngbax20

100+ Posts
Well put most fans don't know what's going on with the prep time it takes to get each game ready.most fans don't know about the scout coachs that travel to every game to watch the next weeks opp.flat out most PNG fans don't even know who calls the play quick to judge without the facts.frankly I don't see I reason to change who the HC usually u have to have lossing seasons to get the boot not making it to state every year.if that was the case every year thousands of coachs would be fired.

akifan94

500+ Posts
NDNalways said:
Having been a PNG fan for over 40 years I can say that I'm a little embarrassed by some of your complaints. I know several coaches, players, teachers, etc. You do not see that these coaches work 7 days a week 15 hours a day. They miss their kids b-days, dances, soccer games, dinners, etc., so that they can put together plans and work with our kids to make them successful. You sit at a game for 2 hours and sum up the whole season in 2 hours. Does every NFL team where players who make millions of dollars every year win every season? NO! Does the same team get to State or the Superbowl every year? NO! These PNG players are KIDS. They do not get paid to play. Add up the hours that these coaches and cheerleader directors, indianette directors, etc., make for after school activities and trust me, they do not make nothing. You are wrong to treat these people like this. You should never criticize these kids or the ones that are coaching them. Not only do coaches, teachers, etc. have to put up with our kids, but they have to put up with all of us as parents. Parents who demand that their kids make the team or get to play whether they deserve it or not. I could never work at a school and that is why I appreciate even more the teachers, coaches, etc. that do. Think before you speak!!!!

As a person that helps pay the salaries, I feel I can voice my opinion anytime I please. Kids should be off limits to any slanderous comments. Coaches are fair game. I can PROMISE you I put in more hours a year than the coaches do at my job. Part of their job is to prepare these kids to win. After all, that is why they play. Winning cannot be expected every week. And no, I have not heard one person on here say that they expect to win state every year, or every 10 years. Nederland is not 20+ points better than us. That is where the problem lies. Not the road games, not Hurricane Ike, not the hours worked or missing a kid’s soccer game. (I missed one last weekend, anyone feel sorry for me?) It is all about having our kids prepared to play and giving them the best chance to win. Our coaches did not do that Saturday. If you think they did you are wrong. These coaches chose a profession that puts them in the public eye and they are judged by their performance. No one is forcing them to coach, work long hours, or whatever. So they should be able to take the praise with the good and the heat with the bad. I have no problems with the coaches. The play calling, yes. Maybe they are giving all they got and doing the best they can. Sometimes the fans expect more and that should be expected when you get your butt SPANKED by your biggest rival.

akifan94

500+ Posts
NDNalways said:
modmouse78 said:
Anyone that is in a career has the same pressure. Your boss is not going to come in and say do the best you can and that is good enough. No, it is to be done the way they want it done, and done right. If not, they will find someone better qualified and better capable to do the job. This is the real world. Where your actions are judged and consequences occur when things are not done right. They know what comes with the job when they took it. And how do you know we don't know what they go through. Maybe that is why i am so critical.

Yes, but does your job depend on your performance or the performance of 15-17 year olds? There is a huge difference.

While it might not be 15-17 year olds. It is people with the mentality of 15 to 17 year olds. Hell, modmouse78 works for me. Talk about pressure. :ha:

NDNalways

Burnett's salary was in the paper awhile back. Break down every hour that man works and I guarantee he is probably making about $1.00 per hour if that. Most of you get overtime. He does not nor does any of his coaches. Burnett and his coaches are judged on the actions of 15-17 year old kids. Think about that if your job was based on that and not on your work. Just remember, a coach is a coach and a teacher is a teacher because they have a passion for the game and their kids. It surely is not for the money they make. While you have 1-2 supervisors, these coaches have hundreds from administrators, parents, etc. When you criticize their kids you are criticizing them and vice verse. If you are concerned about your tax payers dollars then pick up a rack and broom and go to Bridge City and help out for a day and stop putting down these hard working individuals.

badndn said:
Indian99 said:
I agree that with careers come pressure, that' a fact of life. I was thinking more on the lines that Burnett has thousands of people every year critique his every move. Most of us do not have that kind of pressure in our jobs.
He is paid very well (by the tax payers of PNG) to handle the pressure and make adjustments in his teams playcalling and his staff if need be! I think that is all that is being asked.

On the Long at Kelly thing, didn't Kelly have a very good season last year when they had talent. IMO Long would do well with our talent base, but I don't think it is necessary to call for Burnett's job, just that he adjust to the talent level. It is not 1974 anymore. I like Matt as a person, as a defensive coach and I really appreciate that he holds his players accountable for their actions on and off the field and I really want him to succeed, just not sure he can change his ways. I sure hope so.

akifan94

500+ Posts
NDNalways said:
Burnett's salary was in the paper awhile back. Break down every hour that man works and I guarantee he is probably making about $1.00 per hour if that. Most of you get overtime. He does not nor does any of his coaches. Burnett and his coaches are judged on the actions of 15-17 year old kids. Think about that if your job was based on that and not on your work. Just remember, a coach is a coach and a teacher is a teacher because they have a passion for the game and their kids. It surely is not for the money they make. While you have 1-2 supervisors, these coaches have hundreds from administrators, parents, etc. When you criticize their kids you are criticizing them and vice verse. If you are concerned about your tax payers dollars then pick up a rack and broom and go to Bridge City and help out for a day and stop putting down these hard working individuals.

You are going off the deep end, but OK. There are only 8760 hours in a year. The man makes close to 80,000 a year. He would have to put in 75 hours a week YEAR round to even be under 20 bucks an hour. That does not happen. I work on salary myself so once again there is no sympathy there. Enough with those excuses. What the hell does Bridge City have to do with this and our taxes? Me taking a position not in tune with one of the coaches is not me knocking the kids. You are starting to push this issue a little too much and should probably step away from the board before you really make a stupid comment. This is a message board for Indian fans. Being pissed does not make me or anyone else less of a fan. Everyone is free to voice there concerns here. If you do not like it, fine, don't read it or voice your own opinion (like you have). Just don't expect to come on here and have everyone bow down to you and how you feel.

NDN4Life

Scalp Em Indians
NDNalways said:

Well since you like to talk about Burnett working all these long hours explain something to me then...Do you think when he went to go get his coaching degree that he was thinking that he was going to work 8 hour days? An I'm willing to bet that he get's paid a little better then $1 an hour. And please tell me what going to BC and working has anything to do with coaching or offensive strategy?

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
PN-G fans can make a case for and against MB. He runs a clean program, teaches young men to be accountable on the field and in the classroom, he talks the talk and walks the walk when it comes to discipline and being an outstanding role model. He is an Indian from womb to tomb. The thing that bothers most Indian fans is his 5 (W) and 10 (L) vs. Nederland. Granted, most of the games between PN-G and Nederland have been close games during the past 15 years ... and a play here or a play there could have made a difference. For the first time in the history of the PN-G v. Nederland rivalry, Nederland will win a decade series (from 2000-2009). Even during the 1980s when Butch Troy fought the good fight for PN-G, the Indians won the decade series (mostly thanks to Coach Ethridge in '80-'83 and Coach Malone '89). Still, PN-G fans expect to beat Nederland 6 out of 10 years ... most fans do not accept a 5 (W) and 10 (L) ledger vs. our Mid-County neighbors. But, it happens.

I don't have a dog in the fight. I do not have kids in the PN-GISD, and I will not have any kids in PN-GISD. Personally, I like MB. Again, he runs a good program ... and, he was a good man and asst. coach at PN-G when I attended school at PN-G during 1986-1989. He cared about kids, got kids excited to play for PN-G, etc. I just wish he would beat Nederland at a better rate than .33333333. Then again, as I get older and fatter, I undestand that winning and losing is cyclical. MB, or any coach for that matter, can only work with the talent he has year in and year out. And, yes, I do wish PN-G would get rid of the old Plano Wildcatt 1970s and 1980s offense (balance the line of scrimmage and run the toss right, toss left, and 3-step drop passing game). I'm a fan of the spread or a pro-style offense ala SLC, Stephenville, Katy, North Shore, etc. Still, I can't see PN-G letting go of MB until MB is ready to go. In my opinion (not that it matters), MB has earned the right to call his own shot. He's paid his dues, he's been good to many kids in the PN-GISD, and he seems to still have a passion for coaching and teaching young men to play hard, have fun, and work as a team.

I'm 1989NDN and I approve this message. Back to your scheduled programming. Go Indians. There is a lot to play for in 2008. Play hard, have fun, and enjoy high school. Fans and alumni, it is time to rally around MB, the coaching staff, the players, and enjoy the 2008 season. The Nederland game is over. Move on and kick the snot out of everyone else in the district. MB is a good coach ... he will get the kids ready to rebound and play hard for a playoff spot.

Peace.

NDNalways

I think you took care of the stupid comments. Indian fans SUPPORT their team. You want your voice heard so why can't I? You seem to the be the one that wants everyone to hear YOU. PS You should not use profanity. You can always apply at the PNG Adminstration building for a coaches application.

akifan94 said:
NDNalways said:

You are going off the deep end, but OK. There are only 8760 hours in a year. The man makes close to 80,000 a year. He would have to put in 75 hours a week YEAR round to even be under 20 bucks an hour. That does not happen. I work on salary myself so once again there is no sympathy there. Enough with those excuses. What the hell does Bridge City have to do with this and our taxes? Me taking a position not in tune with one of the coaches is not me knocking the kids. You are starting to push this issue a little too much and should probably step away from the board before you really make a stupid comment. This is a message board for Indian fans. Being pissed does not make me or anyone else less of a fan. Everyone is free to voice there concerns here. If you do not like it, fine, don't read it or voice your own opinion (like you have). Just don't expect to come on here and have everyone bow down to you and how you feel.

akifan94

500+ Posts
1989NDN said:
PN-G fans can make a case for and against MB. He runs a clean program, teaches young men to be accountable on the field and in the classroom, he talks the talk and walks the walk when it comes to discipline and being an outstanding role model. He is an Indian from womb to tomb. The thing that bothers most Indian fans is his 5 (W) and 10 (L) vs. Nederland. Granted, most of the games between PN-G and Nederland have been close games during the past 15 years ... and a play here or a play there could have made a difference. For the first time in the history of the PN-G v. Nederland rivalry, Nederland will win a decade series (from 2000-2009). Even during the 1980s when Butch Troy fought the good fight for PN-G, the Indians won the decade series (mostly thanks to Coach Ethridge in '80-'83 and Coach Malone '89). Still, PN-G fans expect to beat Nederland 6 out of 10 years ... most fans do not accept a 5 (W) and 10 (L) ledger vs. our Mid-County neighbors. But, it happens.

I don't have a dog in the fight. I do not have kids in the PN-GISD, and I will not have any kids in PN-GISD. Personally, I like MB. Again, he runs a good program ... and, he was a good man and asst. coach at PN-G when I attended school at PN-G during 1986-1989. He cared about kids, got kids excited to play for PN-G, etc. I just wish he would beat Nederland at a better rate than .33333333. Then again, as I get older and fatter, I undestand that winning and losing is cyclical. MB, or any coach for that matter, can only work with the talent he has year in and year out. And, yes, I do wish PN-G would get rid of the old Plano Wildcatt 1970s and 1980s offense (balance the line of scrimmage and run the toss right, toss left, and 3-step drop passing game). I'm a fan of the spread or a pro-style offense ala SLC, Stephenville, Katy, North Shore, etc. Still, I can't see PN-G letting go of MB until MB is ready to go. In my opinion (not that it matters), MB has earned the right to call his own shot. He's paid his dues, he's been good to many kids in the PN-GISD, and he seems to still have a passion for coaching and teaching young men to play hard, have fun, and work as a team.

I'm 1989NDN and I approve this message. Back to your scheduled programming. Go Indians. There is a lot to play for in 2008. Play hard, have fun, and enjoy high school. Fans and alumni, it is time to rally around MB, the coaching staff, the players, and enjoy the 2008 season. The Nederland game is over. Move on and kick the snot out of everyone else in the district. MB is a good coach ... he will get the kids ready to rebound and play hard for a playoff spot.

Peace.

Nice post. As I stated in a different post, my problem is lack of creativity in the play calling. That is all.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores