PN-G doling out green for new turf

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
http://panews.com/local/x1968174473/PN-GISD-buys-new-turf

May 29, 2012

PN-G doling out green for new turf
Brandon Janes
The Port Arthur News The Port Arthur News Wed May 30, 2012, 09:50 AM CDT

PORT NECHES — On Tuesday, the Port Neches-Groves ISD school board spent almost $400,000 on a new turf field for Indian Stadium, after FieldTurf, the company currently being sued by the district for installing a defective turf, offered to replace the field for free.

The district will pay a new company, Hellas Construction, $379,289 for the new synthetic turf field.

PN-GISD school board president Rodney Balsamo declined to comment on the major purchase, which is to be taken out of leftover funds from the 2007 bond, and referred all questions to the district’s attorney Lance Bradley.

“I think (the PN-GISD school board) lacks confidence in FieldTurf based on prior dealings with them,” said Bradley, during a telephone interview Tuesday. “They want a safe bet.”

FieldTurf’s offered to replace the four-year-old field but would not grant a new warranty to the replacement turf, according to Bradley.

“Do we want the field if they don’t have enough faith in it to give us a warranty?” said Bradley.

Four months ago PN-GISD entered into a lawsuit with FieldTurf, the company which installed the turf in 2008, after several evaluations reported premature deterioration of the nylon fibers in the synthetic grass surface of the field.

According to previous statements from the PN-GISD superintendent Rodney Cavness, FieldTurf was refusing to recognize their end of the contract.

“It started breaking down when Dr. (Lani) Randall (superintendent until August 2010) was here and we’d really only played 10 games on it,” PN-GISD trustee Lana Parker said at the Tuesday school board meeting.

In March of 2011, FieldTurf filed a lawsuit against TenCate, the company who supplied the nylon fibers, just two months after the turf installation company sent a letter to PN-GISD saying that the wear and tear on their field was normal, according to court documents and comments from the PN-GISD attorney.

Both PN-GISD and TenCate’s lawsuits with FieldTurf are still pending.

According to the court papers from the TenCate lawsuit, FieldTurf built more than 100 fields using defective fibers that degraded prematurely.

As of March 2011, FieldTurf had spent $4 million on repairs to defective turf fields as well as was facing “future claims of tens of millions of dollars as a result of failures of TenCate supplied fiber,” the document said.

FieldTurf’s total projected losses due to the defective turfs are estimated to be $30 million, according to the document.

“Do they have the ability financially and practically to replace 100 fields?” said Bradley. “And where does PN-G fall as far as priority on their list?”

Hellas Construction, PN-GISD’s new turf company, will begin installation of the new heavier-grade nylon field beginning on June 29.

According to a Hellas Construction spokesperson, construction is expected to take three weeks and comes with a with an eight-year warranty.

“It’s definitely an upgrade from what they currently have,” said Bradley. “The main two things are the quality of the product and the confidence in the company.”

bjanes@panews.com

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
hookem14 said:
I for one would hope all did

After reading the article, I agree as well.

I guess it's too much to ask that we get our nice Indian head logo in the center of the field instead of that lame looking PNG...

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
If my work schedule lines up well, I'll try to get pics of the turf going on and post them like I did last time.

Squaw1

A lot of people want a large Indian head in the middle of the field as we always used to have, but it will cost an additional $14,000.00 for it and could affect the lawsuit against the original turf company as we have to replace it with what we already have. On the other hand, if the booster club wants to donate the $14000.00, I understand most, if not all, of the board would reconsider having the Indian head in the middle of the field. I, for one, loved the Indian head logo in the middle of the field instead of the PNG. Speaking of that, why didn't they place the P and G lower than the N? It would make the PNG much better looking than straight across. JMHO Hopefully, we will have the Indian head logo, OR they will make the PNG more attractive.

hookem14

100+ Posts
Squaw1 said:
A lot of people want a large Indian head in the middle of the field as we always used to have, but it will cost an additional $14,000.00 for it and could affect the lawsuit against the original turf company as we have to replace it with what we already have. On the other hand, if the booster club wants to donate the $14000.00, I understand most, if not all, of the board would reconsider having the Indian head in the middle of the field. I, for one, loved the Indian head logo in the middle of the field instead of the PNG. Speaking of that, why didn't they place the P and G lower than the N? It would make the PNG much better looking than straight across. JMHO Hopefully, we will have the Indian head logo, OR they will make the PNG more attractive.
How can we be obligated to replace it with what we have when we are getting a Completely New and Entirely Different Style Turf? That doesn’t make any sense to me AT ALL.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The original turf was over 1 million. But that probably included the field prep and new drainage system.

Any idea if they will be able to use the existing foundation? That might explain the lesser cost for the better quality turf.

attakapandn

100+ Posts
if i remember right when the guy from the turf company said they will take the sand out and replace it with something else.. and they offer the distrit to relocate the sand to somewhere elee and level it etc. at part of hte deal..

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I thought that the Indian Head was a done deal. Maybe I saw that on FB. I'll go look for it.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores