PN-G @ Fort Bend Marshall

Torino

500+ Posts
Initial takeaway, the strength of the offense has not performed as needed. Blocking and passing. A lot of open receivers are not getting the ball delivered. The run game has been decent but with Reed out it's more of a challenge to keep the running back fresh. And the RB needs a hole to run through.
Is Reed out for the season?

100+ Posts
Heard he was. Not knocking Nguyen, but we need a larger strong back between the tackles if we’re going to pound the ball and ball control.
Who else carried the ball today, beside 33? I think I saw #31 once. I don't remember seeing #15, and he's not listed on the roster.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Two different types of runners that complemented each other very well and allowed us to keep teams off guard. Thus a big loss losing one of those two dimensions. I do agree that we need a back more similar to Reed’s style for the type of offense they seem to want to run.

1990NDN

They've been running Chatangier in practice quite a bit. I suspect he'll have his breakout moment soon enough. He's going to be special. They've been running Droddy some at practice as well.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The score got out of hand but the offensive yards gained were very close for both teams. And the Indian D had a lot of stops for zero or less yards. It was a strong defensive effort and the offense showed flashes of even outrunning one of the fastest teams
In the state. Under different circumstances, the majority of which the Indians can control and improve on, it was a much closer game than the final score indicates. The scoreboard is all that counts but there are positive takeaways to be made too.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
The score got out of hand but the offensive yards gained were very close for both teams. And the Indian D had a lot of stops for zero or less yards. It was a strong defensive effort and the offense showed flashes of even outrunning one of the fastest teams
In the state. Under different circumstances, the majority of which the Indians can control and improve on, it was a much closer game than the final score indicates. The scoreboard is all that counts but there are positive takeaways to be made too.
Could not agree more. Its just so hard to say because so many negative outlooks. We played an outstanding team. The #3 ranked team in the state and if not for a few timely mistakes we would and could have easily been in this game.

100+ Posts
We stopped at Buc-ees in Baytown on the way home and the place was packed, and probably a third of the crowd had on purple. Good turnout for PNG even in the heat. FBM turnout was small, for a school that hasn't lost a district game in 3 or 4 years.
Anyway I agree with the last two posts, we got in a hole too quickly. IMO we gave them the first one, and the refs helped them out on the second one. The refs haven't liked PNG this season for some reason. For a few secs I didn't think they were going to flag targeting when #10 lost his helmet even. The ref had to think about it.

1990NDN

Yes. I agree the refs were definitely not on their A game. I can recall 3-4 pass interference calls that were flagrant that I was dumbfounded that they weren't called. Several holding calls as well. Not to mention the kick that bounced off of their player which we recovered.

I agree with IndianFan and Prepball ... We were a few bad breaks from being right in this game. I definitely think the score was deceiving.

FB Marshall was a talented, big and fast team though. Not taking anything away from them. But, we played a tough physical game.

100+ Posts
Yes. I agree the refs were definitely not on their A game. I can recall 3-4 pass interference calls that were flagrant that I was dumbfounded that they weren't called. Several holding calls as well. Not to mention the kick that bounced off of their player which we recovered.

I agree with IndianFan and Prepball ... We were a few bad breaks from being right in this game. I definitely think the score was deceiving.

FB Marshall was a talented, big and fast team though. Not taking anything away from them. But, we played a tough physical game.
I didn't see the ball hit their player, on that punt. The ball bounced up high, the PNG player grabbed it in the air, and immediately placed the ball on the ground to down it, and walked away. The whistle blew, and PNG fans began yelling that the ball had touched a FBM player. Some of the players were pointing, indicating PNG possession, but the refs obviously didn't see it. Can a downed punt be advanced? If the punted ball hits a receiving team player, and the kicking team player simply grabs it and puts it on the ground, which team gets possession?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't see the ball hit their player, on that punt. The ball bounced up high, the PNG player grabbed it in the air, and immediately placed the ball on the ground to down it, and walked away. The whistle blew, and PNG fans began yelling that the ball had touched a FBM player. Some of the players were pointing, indicating PNG possession, but the refs obviously didn't see it. Can a downed punt be advanced? If the punted ball hits a receiving team player, and the kicking team player simply grabs it and puts it on the ground, which team gets possession?
That scenario would be a fumbled recovery. Possession to the kicking team if they ball touches a player on the return team.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Looked like the ball hit the turf inches from the FBM players leg and bounced forward. So close…
I do agree on the multiple PI calls missed. Some bounces in the right directions and a few penalty calls here and there and that’s a tied up ball game. A lot of positives to take from that game. Tighten up the ship and you will win those next time.

Another positive is the Indians were the better conditioned team in that contest.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Take away the muffed punt, which resulted in 7-points for FBM and say PN-G converts the blocked FG (3-points), and the score would have likely been 28 - 17 in favor of FBM, which is about right. The Buffs were the better team for the ~40 minutes I watched live. Yes, I am a bad fan...I left early in the mid-4Q. PN-G did not play poorly. The Indians made some mistakes, and they missed some opportunities. FBM got off the blocks and closed down the run game outside of #19's long 45 or 50 yard run for a TD. FBM had a stout defense. They had size and speed on the DL and at the LB level. FBM's #4, the DE was tall and he could move. The other DE, I think it was #6 or #44, he looked the same as #4...tall and rangy with some lateral speed. The Buffs had some dudes and they had a lot to do with PN-G's offense being stuck in neutral. PN-G did not fold on the line of scrimmage. Our kids competed, but FBM controlled the trenches. I say #19 at QB gives PN-G a dual threat. That kid is a ball player. A lot of good things happen when has the ball. FBM noticed it. They doubled and tripled him when he played WR and after he broke loose for the long QB TD run, they had LBs shadowing his every move. #33 ran hard. No quit in that kid. The defense was not swiss cheese, but the QB scrambles and toss to the flats put us some difficult one-on-one situations. Still, our kids competed and did the best they could. #48, #6, #2, #3, and many others all played hard. What else can you ask? Need to rebound and get ready for a tough Texas City team. It will be another difficult test and PN-G needs to clean up the mistakes...no muffed punts, no penalties, and play with some fire from the opening kick-off. That was missing vs. FBM. PN-G started out with no energy. Maybe it was the long early morning bus ride, noon start, or something else, but the Indians started with low fuel. The Indians got some mojo and whip ass in their system before the half, but the start was slow motion. Need that whip ass mentality from the opening kick vs Texas City. Go Indians.

Last edited:

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Where it would have gotten interesting is better calls of those pass interference instances. That stopped a few drives. But it was going to be a challenge to win regardless.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (4-0)
vs.
Huntsville Hornets (3-1)

Friday, Oct. 4, 7:00PM

Huntsville ISD Stadium, Huntsville, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores