PN-G @ Fort Bend Marshall

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Offense has been very disappointing. Had very high expectations
Initial takeaway, the strength of the offense has not performed as needed. Blocking and passing. A lot of open receivers are not getting the ball delivered. The run game has been decent but with Reed out it's more of a challenge to keep the running back fresh. And the RB needs a hole to run through.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
Seemed very ill prepared gameplan. Seems Crippen has regressed under new QB coach. Need to make several adjustments on offense. If we’re going to try and pound the ball we need more size. Just my opinion and just mine. Couple defenders need to spend more time studying game film.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
OC not very impressive. But loss of Reed cannot be overstated. Running game anemic this game, and passing game has never really came together like in recent seasons. Part of problem undoubtedly due to FBM defense and continued mistakes, but offense was still not playing up to what they should be capable of.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Seemed very ill prepared gameplan. Seems Crippen has regressed under new QB coach. Need to make several adjustments on offense. If we’re going to try and pound the ball we need more size. Just my opinion and just mine. Couple defenders need to spend more time studying game film.
+1

Last edited:

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Need to address special teams…giving away points. Last year’s offense is in SS.
ST is indeed a problem relative to years past, at least in terms of the return teams. However, kick coverage has been pretty good. More botched punt and kickoff returns than I can recall going back many years.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Don’t remember the numbers, but we returned quite a few. Definitely points to coaching weakness in some form or other.
Scheme changed to more of a ball control
oriented offense with occasional passes. But that only works if your 280-305 pound linemen can make their blocks every play. Same with the protection. And when Crippen is under pressure he has struggled with mobility and throws the ball away. Surprising for an athletic 4.6 40 kid. Of course some credit is always due to the opposing defense.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
A ball control offense only works if you CAN successfully run the ball. If not, everything falls apart unless you have a backup plan. We do not seem to have much in the way of a backup plan.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Great effort by the players. They gave 100% effort and represented well. Tough loss. Kudos to Marshall and their effort. Those Marshall kids were taking a physical beating. And kudos to Marshall high for playing a clean game with no extra shenanigans. Looking like Marshall is the team to beat in 9-5A.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Great effort by the players. They gave 100% effort and represented well. Tough loss. Kudos to Marshall and their effort. Those kids were taking a beating. And kudos to Marshall high for playing a clean game with no extra shenanigans. Looking like Marshall is the team to beat in 9-5A.
Agree on all points. Next week will go a long way towards determining our chances for a successful season. At least we do get them at the reservation. Looks like we will need every edge we can get.

pngfan316

100+ Posts
Need Todd Dodge to come in!

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
I could see PNG running the table in district from here on out. Next week will be the toughest game I believe and of course MCM is always a toss up no matter how good whichever team is or is not. Its ok to t take a loss when the other team is a better stocked team. Even with that if it weren't for a few mistakes the Indians made it a game of it. You never know Crosby beat Marshall and has lost its last two games in a row. We definitely missed Reed and wishing him well.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
I could see PNG running the table in district from here on out. Next week will be the toughest game I believe and of course MCM is always a toss up no matter how good whichever team is or is not. Its ok to t take a loss when the other team is a better stocked team. Even with that if it weren't for a few mistakes the Indians made it a game of it. You never know Crosby beat Marshall and has lost its last two games in a row. We definitely missed Reed and wishing him well.
We need a lot of work and was probably over ranked. We have a lot of open holes.

100+ Posts
Tough day today, especially for the offense, and for #11. He's a great kid as far as I can tell, (I don't know him), but he really had a hard day today, and seemed to be throwing with weight on his back foot, falling backwards, all day. When he came off the field holding his shoulder I was thinking ok that's it, he won't be back in, but he did, 4th qtr. I would have thought they'd just go ahead and leave Adams at QB.

STs had been doing good as far as I could tell, especially kicking team, but there are some key players missing, that I'm aware of.

Defense did ok, but got wore out with the QB scrambles, short passes, and, I can't fail to mention, the holding. I've said, and I still say (only slightly tongue-in-cheek) that PNG offense line really needs to start holding. Everyone's doing it, and the refs aren't throwing flags probably 90-95% of the time.

Can't say enough about how this team will miss Reed's tough running. (Not taking anything away from #33 and others.)

Anyway, it was pretty hard to climb out of that early 14-0 hole we found ourselves in. I know it's part of the game, but I swear, I'd let every punt just drop wherever it will, and don't try to field it.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Don’t give up on this coaching staff yet. They have some good experience and a winning background. The ISD decided they wanted a coaching change and that’s what we have. It takes time for new systems to be perfected and of course it was always going to be different with Faircloth not here. Pro and con. We see a better defensive trend and the offense is now different. Joseph, McCrary, McDaniel and the rest of the staff will build a winner. This current team is going to win a lot more games.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (5-0)
vs.
Splendora Wildcats (2-3)

Friday, Oct. 11, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium, Port Neches, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores