PN-G Indians 37, West Fork Gators 0

Rez

So how does our offense do against them next week? Can we stop Thomas and Sunday?
Our offense will move the ball, but we have to be smart. Nederland has an opportunistic, hungry defense that flies around and gang tackles really well. Their defensive line is very quick. Probably quicker than ours. I don’t think their d line is better than ours, but they are good and more than capable of getting to the backfield. Based only on the MLC game, I’d argue Nederland has better linebackers and a better secondary than us. Their secondary covers better, is more aggressive, and makes tackles in the open field better than us. That means we need to be a stubborn anaconda - Hold the ball, run in short yardage situations, and don’t try any unnecessary deep balls that might result in interceptions. Just strangle them from the first play.

I’m not “too” worried about our defense against Nederland. Our run defense has improved, and we have a way better d line than LC. If we force Nederland to try to win through the air, I feel good about our chances. Nothing against Sunday, but he’s not an extremely accurate passer. If he gets loose, he’s got some good wheels. That’s been a weakness for us - A qb that breaks containment is a massive problem for us. So we have to sniff it all out early. Overall, our secondary just needs to be good next week, not great. The real key will be leaving no room for Thomas. If there’s a tiny patch of green he can turn it into a runway. He’s also a lot stronger than his skinny frame might suggest. I’m guessing he squats at least 400 lbs? Doesn’t go down at first contact, and one of the smoothest runners I’ve ever seen. No one on our defense is fast enough to run him down, and he can outrun safeties who look like they have an angle on him. So we need an extremely disciplined assignment-based showing.

I think Lc’s o-line and d-line got tired in the second half. There was a stretch in the 3rd where it looked like Nederland was getting overpowered and Lc was bullying them, but the Nederland had more in the stretch. LC is not deep and it showed. Maybe 35-40 guys suited up. PNG doesn’t have that problem.

Nederland is far more disciplined and focused than last year. Last year they gifted us like three interceptions and they barely made a showing on defense. Sunday is still inclined to throw INTs, but the coaches are better about giving him passes he can complete, and Nederland overall has been better about protecting the ball.

We have to protect Bailey, and that means either avoid passing or only throw to fast-developing routes. Ned’s defense got to LC’s qb all night, especially in slow-developing pass plays. Nederland hit Marcos once where he was very slow to get up. This d-line is fast enough to get through our o-line if we make Conner sit in the pocket too long. We need to win and we need Conner healthy down the stretch. Nederland is dangerous on defense, and I’m actually concerned about them getting to the qb.

But, overall Thomas is their Roschon Johnson. They have a couple other weapons, but none can match him. If we keep keyed on him while not allowing Sunday to tuck it and get to the open field, I like our situation.

WarDance

Our offense will move the ball, but we have to be smart. Nederland has an opportunistic, hungry defense that flies around and gang tackles really well. Their defensive line is very quick. Probably quicker than ours. I don’t think their d line is better than ours, but they are good and more than capable of getting to the backfield. Based only on the MLC game, I’d argue Nederland has better linebackers and a better secondary than us. Their secondary covers better, is more aggressive, and makes tackles in the open field better than us. That means we need to be a stubborn anaconda - Hold the ball, run in short yardage situations, and don’t try any unnecessary deep balls that might result in interceptions. Just strangle them from the first play.

I’m not “too” worried about our defense against Nederland. Our run defense has improved, and we have a way better d line than LC. If we force Nederland to try to win through the air, I feel good about our chances. Nothing against Sunday, but he’s not an extremely accurate passer. If he gets loose, he’s got some good wheels. That’s been a weakness for us - A qb that breaks containment is a massive problem for us. So we have to sniff it all out early. Overall, our secondary just needs to be good next week, not great. The real key will be leaving no room for Thomas. If there’s a tiny patch of green he can turn it into a runway. He’s also a lot stronger than his skinny frame might suggest. I’m guessing he squats at least 400 lbs? Doesn’t go down at first contact, and one of the smoothest runners I’ve ever seen. No one on our defense is fast enough to run him down, and he can outrun safeties who look like they have an angle on him. So we need an extremely disciplined assignment-based showing.

I think Lc’s o-line and d-line got tired in the second half. There was a stretch in the 3rd where it looked like Nederland was getting overpowered and Lc was bullying them, but the Nederland had more in the stretch. LC is not deep and it showed. Maybe 35-40 guys suited up. PNG doesn’t have that problem.

Nederland is far more disciplined and focused than last year. Last year they gifted us like three interceptions and they barely made a showing on defense. Sunday is still inclined to throw INTs, but the coaches are better about giving him passes he can complete, and Nederland overall has been better about protecting the ball.

We have to protect Bailey, and that means either avoid passing or only throw to fast-developing routes. Ned’s defense got to LC’s qb all night, especially in slow-developing pass plays. Nederland hit Marcos once where he was very slow to get up. This d-line is fast enough to get through our o-line if we make Conner sit in the pocket too long. We need to win and we need Conner healthy down the stretch. Nederland is dangerous on defense, and I’m actually concerned about them getting to the qb.

But, overall Thomas is their Roschon Johnson. They have a couple other weapons, but none can match him. If we keep keyed on him while not allowing Sunday to tuck it and get to the open field, I like our situation.
Excellent analysis! Thank you. Looks like a tough week of practice incoming.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
PN-G v. WF...the Indians played a lot of kids. One of the top OL suited out but did not play. PN-G rotated several kids on the OL in the 3rd and 4th quarters. On defense, the coaching staff rotated DL and DBs all night. The Indians could have scored 50+ on WF. What good does that do? 37-0 in the 3rd quarter and playing everyone but the bus drivers is just fine. #25 is a fire cracker at RB. He runs north/south and does so in a hurry. I think he's earned more playing time. #27 and #15 played, but rested the entire second half. I think #27 is still nursing some type of injury from the physical Huntsville game. I don't know what WF's stats were, but they can't be much. PN-G's ones and twos on defense completely shut down WF. The OC's play calling gave away a TD in the second quarter. Just run the ball. Positive notes, the OL dominated WF and how about the kicker drilling a 45-yard FG that was right down the middle and would have been good from 50 yards out. Nice kick. KO coverage was much bettter vs. WF.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
PN-G v. WF...the Indians played a lot of kids. One of the top OL suited out but did not play. PN-G rotated several kids on the OL in the 3rd and 4th quarters. On defense, the coaching staff rotated DL and DBs all night. The Indians could have scored 50+ on WF. What good does that do? 37-0 in the 3rd quarter and playing everyone but the bus drivers is just fine. #25 is a fire cracker at RB. He runs north/south and does so in a hurry. I think he's earned more playing time. #27 and #15 played, but rested the entire second half. I think #27 is still nursing some type of injury from the physical Huntsville game. I don't know what WF's stats were, but they can't be much. PN-G's ones and twos on defense completely shut down WF. The OC's play calling gave away a TD in the second quarter. Just run the ball. Positive notes, the OL dominated WF and how about the kicker drilling a 45-yard FG that was right down the middle and would have been good from 50 yards out. Nice kick. KO coverage was much bettter vs. WF.
Wf 92 yards

Rez

The OC's play calling gave away a TD in the second quarter. Just run the ball.
I’m still so confused by the pass plays we’ve called this season. That interception yesterday was thrown on a 1st and 5 in the red zone with plenty of time on the clock. We don’t need to try to throw a td pass there. We could have simply kept running.

I’d be ok with the idea of just trying things out against WF because it’s a game we can win with our eyes closed, but we’ve been doing it all season and in closer games.

HomeTown99

I’m still so confused by the pass plays we’ve called this season. That interception yesterday was thrown on a 1st and 5 in the red zone with plenty of time on the clock. We don’t need to try to throw a td pass there. We could have simply kept running.

I’d be ok with the idea of just trying things out against WF because it’s a game we can win with our eyes closed, but we’ve been doing it all season and in closer games.
I thought the same thing, like they were treating that situation and a couple others like it was a scrimmage. Was a weird game that felt kinda like that all night.

Reactions: Rez

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
We do miss OC Charlie Feller. He could game plan, he was creative, and when he got into a flow like he did last season @ Texas City, vs. Rouse, early vs. MLC, vs. Huntsville at NRG, and early vs. Liberty Hill, the Indians offense was unstoppable. This season, the OC needs a better understanding of down, distance, and flow of the game. When you have a 1st down in the red zone and your OL is demolishing the WF DL, just run the ball. You don't need a play action pass to #11 when he was in double coverage all night long and the other WRs can't catch the ball if you hand it to them. Whereas, our TEs have proven they can catch and run with the ball, yet we have forgotten them. Asking the QB to thread the needle perfectly into double coverage to #11 is not smart football.

Reactions: Rez

bandkid

Staff member
Glad the defense preserved the shutout. West Fork (who I keep wanting to call Wake Forrest) may not do the best job of running the Wing-T, but it’s still a run-heavy offense that uses a lot of misdirection and trickery. Good for the defense to get that experience early in the season, and to get that confidence booster. Have a feeling it will be key next week.

Rez

We do miss OC Charlie Feller. He could game plan, he was creative, and when he got into a flow like he did last season @ Texas City, vs. Rouse, early vs. MLC, vs. Huntsville at NRG, and early vs. Liberty Hill, the Indians offense was unstoppable. This season, the OC needs a better understanding of down, distance, and flow of the game. When you have a 1st down in the red zone and your OL is demolishing the WF DL, just run the ball. You don't need a play action pass to #11 when he was in double coverage all night long and the other WRs can't catch the ball if you hand it to them. Whereas, our TEs have proven they can catch and run with the ball, yet we have forgotten them. Asking the QB to thread the needle perfectly into double coverage to #11 is not smart football.
How did we lose Charlie Feller? Did Duncanville just make him a better offer?

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I don't know the answer. He's not here. We've moved on. I'm just stating that we miss his game planning, creativity, and play calling as an OC. Those skills can be learned by the new OC. It takes time and experience. Any other issue regarding Coach Feller--none of my business and I trust the judgment of Chief Joseph and the PN-GISD.

Last edited:

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Wf 92 yards
19 of those yards came on one busted assignment where the CB didn’t contain. He ran towards the middle and the QB pitched it.

One of the keys to winning next week, and the rest of the year is to fix that containment issue. Fundamental football.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
The defense was excellent last night. WF did a lot of chop blocking on our DL. They adjusted and, voilà, problem solved--WF was shut down. The PN-G DL is not the biggest, but they are quick off the ball and they play 100 mph with some fight. #94, #49, #99, and #45 present problems for the other teams. They play hard and they get after it in the trenches.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
T
Glad the defense preserved the shutout. West Fork (who I keep wanting to call Wake Forrest) may not do the best job of running the Wing-T, but it’s still a run-heavy offense that uses a lot of misdirection and trickery. Good for the defense to get that experience early in the season, and to get that confidence booster. Have a feeling it will be key next week.
The second and third string defensive players did their part to preserve the shutout in the second half. They played great while they had their turn on the field.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know the answer. He's not here. We've moved on. I'm just stating that we miss his game planning, creativity, and play calling as an OC. Those skills can be learned by the new OC. It takes time and experience. Any other issue regarding Coach Feller--none of my business and I trust the judgment of Chief Joseph and the PN-GISD.
McCrary and Gizzi also took part in the game planning last season. Feller was the primary offensive line coach.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (6-0)
vs.
West Fork Gators (2-4)

Friday, Oct. 18, 7:00PM

Randall Reed Stadium, New Caney, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores