IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
From Beaumont Enterprise
PN-G ready for another playoff round
By RYAN S. CLARK
May 19, 2010
Posted: May 19, 2010, 10:13 PM CDT

Traveling 1,000-plus miles while trying to outrun bad weather during the second round of the playoffs is sure to be a story that Port Neches-Groves baseball coach Jay Stone and his team are sure to remember.

Another story they remember is what happened last year when PN-G lost to Magnolia in the second round of the playoffs. Magnolia ended PN-G's season with a 1-0 win in 13 innings at New Caney in a one-game series. If PN-G had won the series, it would have faced Mid-County rival Nederland in the next round.

Losing to Magnolia did more than just rob local fans of baseball's version of Mid-County Madness. It gave PN-G's seven returning players an idea of how wild the playoffs could be.

They will get the chance to apply that lesson tonight at 7 p.m. when PN-G hosts Magnolia.

"What happened last year is in the past but we'd like to have another shot at them," Stone said. "We are just looking forward to competing with them and going from there."

Stone said last year's exciting yet disappointing game helped prepare his team for this season and the playoffs.

That was certainly the case when it came to PN-G's second round playoff series with Magnolia where Game 2 spanned four days and went into extra innings before PN-G won the game 3-2.

Stone said last year's Magnolia series paid off because his team knew what to win a one-run playoff game.

"There were several times (on Monday) where San Marcos would have easily pushed a run across the plate," Stone said. "But the defense made some great plays and our kids were not afraid to step it up and go beyond the norm."

After Magnolia defeated PN-G last season, it was swept by Nederland in a best-of-three series.

This year, Magnolia finished second in District 18-4A and recorded playoff wins over Del Valle and Little Cypress-Mauriceville in a one-game series.

PN-G (22-9) finished second in District 20-4A and opened the playoffs by winning a best-of-three against Galena Park. Then it swept San Marcos in a best-of-three series that finished Monday.PN-G is the area's only Class 4A team remaining in the playoffs.

"We're not going to complain about the way last week went because we came out with a win and we'll travel anywhere for a win," Stone said. "Playing at home is going to be nice and I expect a large crowd. Those types of game at home are going to be a lot more fun than traveling and playing them on the road."
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/pn-g_ready_for_another_playoff_round.html?showFullArticle=y

pngmom4

500+ Posts
I did not attend the game, but was out and decided to drive by to check out the score. Man, I went at the right time. Down 5-3 in bottom of 6 when the 2 run home run was hit to tie the game. PNG went up 8-5 for the final. What a finish.

Great win!!!!!

NDNband69

500+ Posts
What a GAME ! ! ! ! We were down 5-1 after 5 innings but never gave up. The crowd was HUGE and ELECTRIC. What an atmosphere for PNG High School Baseball. That home run was a towering blast.....everyone knew it was gone on contact. Way to go Indians!

A pic from the game.....the crowd!
PNGvsMagnoliabaseball5-20-2010.jpg

squaw

1,000+ Posts
We saw the game last night and it was awesome! Another example of Indians never giving up! We were unable to go to Magnolia today and we lost 3-1 and will play in Baytown tomorrow night. If Bartosh pitched for them today, we will not have to play against their best pitcher tomorrow (Bartosh). Does anyone know pitched for Magnolia today? Anyway, we will be there tomorrow, God willing, with purple on and a big mouth! lol Magnolia beat Brenham 4 out of 5 times this season so if we can win tomorrow the road to the state championship will be achievable.

cub1322

Actually Magnolia only beat Brenham one time this year in come back fashion such as yall did to them. But if you combined this year and last Magnolia has beaten Brenham 3 out of 4 times and this years team is a lot better than last years!!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Magnolia and Brenham both have outstanding baseball programs, and have had for years.

PN-G and LC-M are the equivalent programs in SE Texas.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
cub1322 said:
Actually Magnolia only beat Brenham one time this year in come back fashion such as yall did to them. But if you combined this year and last Magnolia has beaten Brenham 3 out of 4 times and this years team is a lot better than last years!!
Sorry, I took the stats from their local paper. Now it makes more sense---I was wondering how you played them 4 times in one year. Guess you can tell who we really want to play this year!! ;D I know I'm prejudiced, but I KNOW that if the Indians are hot, they can beat Magnolia. And, we're gonna be awesome in football this fall.

cub1322

Any stats on the game tonight? Tough loss 2-1!! But yea we only play them twice a year due to district and every game has been a good one except one in which we lost 13-0 and also lost our starting catcher in a play at the plate in which he was illegally ran over and broke his nose. But good luck in game 3 go get'em Kirkland and Barosh are their 1 and 2 decent pitching after that but nothing too special!!

NDNband69

500+ Posts
Info on game 3. Jalali had a 3 run homerun off the left field foul pole. Update after 5 complete innings 5-0 Indians.

bandkid

Staff member
This is a great win, but I hope they annihilate Friendswood. There's nothing I would love to see more than a shutout against the Mustangs.

PNGfan

100+ Posts
What's crazy is the baseball team is the most consistant team at PNG year in and year out and can barely get anything. I know they just got the concession stand, but can we get some better bleachers. Good Luck against Fwood!!!!!!!!Scalp'em

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Is the biggest problem:
1. the configuration of the bleachers
2. they are wooden and 30+ years old?
3. Or both?

squaw

1,000+ Posts
We went to the game tonight and there was an excellent crowd of purple-clad fans there. The boys played with skill and class. I was surprised it went so easily. Everyone was so proud of the boys!! Next opponent is Friendswood. Cub1322, did your team play them this year and what do you think? Anyone out there have info to share? If so, please cough it up!

OldEagle

500+ Posts
IndianFan said:
Is the biggest problem:
1. the configuration of the bleachers
2. they are wooden and 30+ years old?
3. Or both?
Number 2 - wooden and very old.
Funny thing about the Magnolia stands is that the stands were new but the one behind home plate were behind the press box and you couldn't see the field from most areas of the stands. They planned on installing the stands and then elevating them. The original cost to raise them was $9000 but when it came time to do it the price was $20,000 and they couldn't afford to do it. At least you can see the field from our old wooden stands! So I guess we are in better shape then Magnolia.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores