PN-G vs. Nederland Game Thread

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Oh well, a lot of questions after this game. Nederland has to know they got lucky on this one.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
But great effort by the Indians. They outplayed the favored team in their own stadium, but as usual this game came down to turnovers and penalties.

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
IndianFan said:
But great effort by the Indians. They outplayed the favored team in their own stadium, but as usual this game came down to turnovers and penalties.

Which is something we continue to struggle with week end and week out.

NDN79

500+ Posts
This was the most disappointed I have been in the results of a game, since Coach Faircloth has been here. Not very impressed with the game plan. Why oh Why do you run the ball on their 4 yard line, 4th and 2, and you have not been able to even get 1 yard all night long? If you had to run it, how about trying the left side? Just do not understand the continued ties at running to the right side!
In the 1st half we did not really try to throw the ball until that last drive before the half, we looked like we were scared to throw in the 1st half.
Then the killer....off sides on the punt deep inside Nederlands 15 yd line, then add 3 other stupid penalties and give them 7!
A lot of questions???

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
NDN79 said:
This was the most disappointed I have been in the results of a game, since Coach Faircloth has been here. Not very impressed with the game plan. Why oh Why do you run the ball on their 4 yard line, 4th and 2, and you have not been able to even get 1 yard all night long? If you had to run it, how about trying the left side? Just do not understand the continued ties at running to the right side!
In the 1st half we did not really try to throw the ball until that last drive before the half, we looked like we were scared to throw in the 1st half.
Then the killer....off sides on the punt deep inside Nederlands 15 yd line, then add 3 other stupid penalties and give them 7!
A lot of questions???

Don't know... Odds are low to be able to pick up 2 yards running that play. That was the game right there.

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
They were double and triple teaming Rose. They dedicated one safety to him EVERY play. It left the middle of the field wide open. It was noticeable from the first drive of the game. Why it took until the 3rd quarter for us to take advantage of this is beyond me.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I wasn't that impressed with Nederland. Were were moving the ball at will... except for when we ran up the middle. Which begs to question why we would attempt it 3 plays in a row, then punt.....FLASHBACKS!
Any kind of misdirection play would have been better than another try up the middle, especially against those monsters.
Bad enough to lose to a better N team, but even worse when you hand them the game (like on their last drive).

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
PNG Proud said:
I wasn't that impressed with Nederland. Were were moving the ball at will... except for when we ran up the middle. Which begs to question why we would attempt it 3 plays in a row, then punt.....FLASHBACKS!
Any kind of misdirection play would have been better than another try up the middle, especially against those monsters.
Bad enough to lose to a better N team, but even worse when you hand them the game (like on their last drive).

That's the one thing that is inexplicable. The penalties and turnovers were killer, but young players make mistakes on both sides of the ball. But to be on the verge of scoring twice and have the drive stopped because you ran low percentage plays... tough to digest. I'll reserve full comment/opinion until I see the video to get a better feel for the level of competition.

Disclaimer: I'm no football strategist, but have a pretty good understanding and instinct for the game after a few decades of being a 'fanatical' consumer of the sport. And like the rest of us, the displeasure of losing this game can cloud objective thinking in the short term. :)

attakapandn

100+ Posts
2 things that why we lost the game when we should have won. 1. the offside on the 4 and 2 in the 4th qtr. with 5 plus mins left. we get the ball and we score and win.. 2. all night we ran the ball on first dwwn. we were getting lost yards or maybe 2 yards . they knew we was running on first down and stopped us.. gotta mix it up some and throw on first sometimes to keep the def. guessing. othere than that we should have won that game!

hookem14

100+ Posts
To the posters that only seem to make negative posts, (and you know who you are), it must be hard work doing so, I applaud your effort!

newindianfan

If I remember right 2 year ago at "THE RESERVATION ", BF called the same play on forth down and a few yards for first down . Didn't work then and it did not work yesterday. Bad play calling at a very important time of the game. My call is coaching cost us the game. You can only do the play the coach calls. The boys played a good game!

badndn

500+ Posts
Alot of good stuff last night mixed in with the mistakes. I think this young team bucked up last night and showed us that this team can compete with the best in the area and we should be excited for the next several years. Very proud of our guys last night. If they cut out a few mistakes and play with the fire they did last night on both sides of the ball I see them winning out and going 7-3 and in the playoffs. Who thought we would be in that position before the season?

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
badndn said:
Alot of good stuff last night mixed in with the mistakes. I think this young team bucked up last night and showed us that this team can compete with the best in the area and we should be excited for the next several years. Very proud of our guys last night. If they cut out a few mistakes and play with the fire they did last night on both sides of the ball I see them winning out and going 7-3 and in the playoffs. Who thought we would be in that position before the season?

Excellent point. After the way last season transpired, it seemed that we were going to be in for another long season with this young, but experience gaining, team. This team has grown up fast and we saw that last night. The sky is the limit the next few years.

For all of the negatives we are pointing out, we were the recipients of a few good bounces as well. We didn't capitalize on the muffed punt at the end of the half. If we could have put some points on the board there, it's a whole different ball game. Also, there is another key possession in the game that no one is talking about. In the 3rd quarter with the score tied at 7-7, we punted the ball out of bounds at the 20. Giving Ned that short of a field is unacceptable. That play was huge for Ned.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
You're right badndn. There are still a lot of positives even after last night.

Nederland was touted to be the best team and program in the area. The Indians stood tot to toe with them and were close to a knockout. The underclassmen won all their games. There are still a lot of young starters on the current varsity squad. And all the players dug in and took it to the favored Bulldogs. They demonstrated heart and talent.

The Indians can win out and be a force in the playoffs. They just need to learn from this and work hard to try and avoid it in the future.

Coach Faircloth is a great coach but is working with a lot of new coaches. He made adjustments at half time that made a difference which is something past coaches could not do. And who knows, maybe those runs were not intended to be the garden variety pound it between the guard and tackle. Maybe it was going to be some type of counter play that was blown up at the line of scrimmage.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Game Stats finally published:

Nederland 21, Port Neches-Groves 17 - Final
Port Neches-Groves Overall: 4-2 District: 2-1
Nederland Overall: 5-1 District: 3-0

BOXSCORE
Friday October 18, 2013 7:30pm

1 2 3 4 Total
Port Neches-Groves 0 0 14 3 17
Nederland 7 0 7 7 21

Scoring summary
NED -- Marcus Barton 4-yard run (Tanner Noel kick), 8:27, 1st.
PNG -- Kaleb Sparks 14-yard pass from Ky Walker (Dylan East kick), 8:08, 3rd.
NED -- Sage Seay 8-yard run (Tanner Noel kick), 3:55, 3rd.
PNG -- Kaleb Sparks 30-yard pass from Ky Walker (Dylan East kick), 0:43, 3rd.
PNG -- Dylan East 35-yard field goal, 11:30, 4th.
NED -- Preston White 5-yard run (Tanner Noel kick), 3:37, 4th.

Team Stats
Port Neches-Groves Nederland
Total yards 325 261
First downs 16 13
Rushes/Yds 33/42 38/195
Average rush 1.27 5.13
Comp/Atts 15/37/2 7/13/0
Pass yards 283 66
Comp pct 40.54 53.85
Punts 7 8
Punting Yards 219 213
Punting Average 31.29 26.63
Fumbles/Lost 1/0 0/0
Penalties-yards 6-65 4-40

pngfan66

500+ Posts
We need to win out to make it in. Ozen, Vidor and Livingston are still on our schedule so its by no means a walk in the park. If we win out and LCM wins and Central gets into the playoffs then we go D2 #2 seed. I think that puts us up against Crosby. If LCM looses some games and we win out we could go #1 seed I think. Lots of ifs.
On another note: We shot ourselves in the foot to many times last night. Couldn't get into the endzone when the opportunity provided itself. But, the boys played their hearts out. Proud of them and they left it all on the field. Have to get control of the personal fouls though. Last nights foul hurt the team bad. Overall I would love to have beaten Nederland, but the team still has their own destiny before them. If they want the playoffs then they have to go get it. It won't be given to them.

png fan for life

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Yes our kids played hard and I am proud of them. But once again we have lost to Nederland and I question the same calls of trying to run up the middle or between the gaurd and tackle. It did not work folks all night long. Our coach praised their defensive line the week leading up to the game and we still kept running that play. I don't understand it at all! Even the 4th and 2 on Nederlands 5 or 6 they freakin loaded the box. If you don't believe me watch it again. Why Why Why do you still try that play? I'm sorry but our kids were not put in the best position to win that game and once again we have lost to Nederland. Pitiful!

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores