PN-G vs. Nederland Game Thread

90NDN

500+ Posts
While sometimes I don't understand why we are calling a certain play, I have no business calling plays as I'm just an armchair qb. Just a few yrs back, most were praising BF and now we we have those who are saying we got out coached etc. I'm sure he had a reason for doing what he was doing and I for one have faith in BF. We are a very young team and we are going to make mistakes...so the key is to learn from them. I defense has really stepped up this year. We just need to win out (which we should definately do) and see where we are at..but the key is one game at a time. Go NDN's

NDN06

100+ Posts
I'm really glad i made it to the meeting tonight. After seing a play unfold, it's really easy to sit back and question why a certain call was made, but i always feel rather "enlightened" after going to these Monday night meetings and listening to Coach Faircloth explain all the "why"s. I will say this-- I think we have some really smart and sharp coaches and we should consider ourselves lucky at the Reservation. What's even better is that these coaches have the best interests of the kids very close to their hearts. It really sucks losing to Nederland, but you have to appreciate what our team accomplished Friday night. We weren't supposed to hang that close but we did, and our defense played an awesome game (haven't seen that in a while)! :clap: Lucky for us, the season doesn't end with Nederland. I think this team has played in a lot of tough games this year, and when we get into the playoffs I think we'll have the edge :helmet:

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Good points 06'. I, too, was questioning the play calling, until I heard him explain. And his explanation makes perfect sense.
I'd encourage everyone within distance to attend those meetings. They are very enlightening and exposes you to the insight and the decision processes.
After listening to BF tonight, I'm even more impressed with him and his staff. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bruiser

Someone tell png fan for life to attend these Monday night meetings so he/she will stop making stupid comments concerning play calling. None of us have any idea what goes into planning for these games from our coaches. If we make the first down on 4th and 2, it's the best call BF has ever made. Just shut up and support our coaches and young men! That's your job! Play calling is the coach's job!

modmouse78

100+ Posts
In these Monday meetings can you ask him questions, or does he just go over the game and the plays he knows people are questioning?

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I am a PN-G ABC member, but cannot attend meetings from my home in Houston. All I know from watching the video online at the www.pngindians.com message board is PN-G had 4th and 2 yds and we were stuffed. I've watched it 3x and the result did not change. Maybe the call was a pass with an audible for a run if the right gap was open...I don't know...what I do know is nederland stuffed our run game all night long and we needed a score...throw the ball...stick with what worked for PN-G...roll the QB out and give him a run / pass option. I'm as big a BF supporter as you will find, but I am tired of losing to nederland. Two out of the last four years PN-G had a 4th and short situation and our run game was stuffed. Yet, we throw the ball all over the field and had some success against everyone we played, including nederland. PN-G should never lose to nederland in anything...not academically and not athletically...and explanations at a ABC meeting will never change my mind on that topic. I'm proud of the coaches for having a good game plan and preparing our kids to compete for the W. I'm proud of the PN-G kids who played hard and gave great effort to get a W. Great game...I just PN-G to win and everyone we play to lose, especially nederland.

Moving on to vidor. Stomp the mess out of them...get the bad taste of nederland out of Indian mouths.

Go Indians. Peace.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
modmouse78 said:
In these Monday meetings can you ask him questions, or does he just go over the game and the plays he knows people are questioning?

I've been to two meeting in four years. Both after PN-G wins. The two I attended, Coach Faircloth was very accessible and willing to answer anything asked. He did not "spin" things or hide. He went over highlights, illustrated what our kids did well, praised our kids for effort and execution, reviewed things on the video you might have missed while watching the football at the ball game, i.e., instead of watching the ball carrier or a pass, he illustrated a great block or a blitz pick-up, and he pointed out where the Indians could have executed things better. Afterwards, you can walk up to him, shake his hand, and ask questions. Like I said, I've only been to two meetings. It was a positive all the way around. I encourage everyone to go when you can. Support PN-G.

Go Indians. Peace.

akifan94

500+ Posts
We had 20 plays that went for 0 or negative yards. When Nederland knew run was coming and played it that way we were not getting it. I know it is easy to second guess but there have been instances this year where I as well as others are left scratching their heads. No amount of explaining is going to change that.

Did he address the reason we were going after the punt on 4th and 2 with a lead late in the fourth quarter and Nederland pinned back inside the 20?

NDNThunder

Not all of us can attend the meetings on Monday nights. Those who attend say they understand the play calling after BF explains but they never tell us fellow posters what he said. I support the coaches & I know they work hard & have a great understanding of the game, but running up the middle against 2 300 pounders over & over with minimal positive results is questionable to say the least. So please enlighten those of us who can't go to the meetings & tell us what he said so that we can understand too.

hookem14

100+ Posts
akifan94 said:
We had 20 plays that went for 0 or negative yards. When Nederland knew run was coming and played it that way we were not getting it. I know it is easy to second guess but there have been instances this year where I as well as others are left scratching their heads. No amount of explaining is going to change that.

Did he address the reason we were going after the punt on 4th and 2 with a lead late in the fourth quarter and Nederland pinned back inside the 20?
We did not go after the punt...A player simply jumped offsides!

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
Time to move on the game is over and no matter what I or anyone else says Hookem will quote "Simply Amazing". So guess myself and the 100 other fans within a ear shot of me are not as smart as him.

hookem14

100+ Posts
It may be a few years, or maybe many many years, but at some point BF will no longer be our coach. When that day comes, our school board will have to look no further than this message board for our next coach. There is obviously an over oboundance of overly qualified coaches in waiting that will make the correct calls for our team if just givin the chance!

akifan94

500+ Posts
hookem14 said:
It may be a few years, or maybe many many years, but at some point BF will no longer be our coach. When that day comes, our school board will have to look no further than this message board for our next coach. There is obviously an over oboundance of overly qualified coaches in waiting that will make the correct calls for our team if just givin the chance!

I want Saban money so get ready for your taxes to go up.

hookem14

100+ Posts
akifan94 said:
hookem14 said:

I want Saban money so get ready for your taxes to go up.
That's pretty good!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
After watching the video replay, and reviewing the 4th and 1 play a few times, here are my thoughts.
This perspective is strictly as a fan who understands the game. As I said before, I'm not a paid strategist so my analysis is far from perfect. Just repeating what I saw in the video.

Summary: It was a well designed and well executed play with a couple of costly exceptions that swayed the outcome.

PN-G brought out a heavy formation and overloaded the left side with Mangini #56 playing left guard, Hanratty #61 at left tackle, Hanley #76 at tight end, Lane #32 in a tight flanker position, and Wardlow #36 in the backfield as a blocking back.

Nederland recognized the heavy formation and lined up with the strength of their defense on that side including the two tackles Malveaux and Washington. The Indians had them where they wanted them.

For the most part the offensive line and backs did a tremendous job of blocking.

For PN-G On the strong side Lane #32 lined up at TE and blocked the opposite side DE Stewart #8. Hanley #76 at left tackle got enough of a block to slow #6 Washington's pursuit from the opposite DT position, but could have maintained a wider base and held that block longer. Hanratty #61 and Mangini #56 stood Malveaux #5 up and drove him off the line of scrimmage. Benoit #52 at center pancaked #64.

On the weak side, Orozco #70 crushed and walled off the inside, #55 Soriano picked up the LB/SS that slid over when Wardlow went into motion, Wardlow #36 sealed off the DE #88 Hughes, and fullback Milan #49 picked up one of the backers that was moving in for the tackle.

Everyone was blocked and a 1 to 2 yard gain or more was there for the taking. Malveaux #5 and Washington #6 were lined up on the strong side and were basically non-factors in the play, although Washington's pursuit could have blown up the play if PN-G's left tackle had not gotten as much of a block as he did.

The running back #27 just didn't make the adjustment and cut to either the inside where the hole was, or bounce it out to the outside where he may have had enough speed to go the distance. He ran into the back of the blocking fullback #49 Milan and the pursuit tackled him.

That's not a slam on #27. To be fair, the entire play took place in about one second and it's chaos on the field. And these are high school players. I've seen NFL players make even worse quick decisions.

I think this came down to the play just not executing to perfection. Given the way Nederland adjusted to that formation, which the coaches had probably seen, it was not a bad call.

It was a high percentage play. If they had spread out and tried a pass or even a run to the outside, the defensive pressure would have blown up the play before it started. Malveaux, Washington and Stewart were making stops in the backfield all night. They were not even a factor. PNG neutralized Nederland's defensive strength very well on that play but it just didn't work out.

It's football. It doesn't always work out as planned. Beat Vidor next week, win out, and it's a new season in the playoffs. These players and coaches have what it takes. :helmet:

png fan for life

Automo 65 you are the one making stupid comments. If running up the middle hasn't worked all night then you have to change. Dang try anything!!! Anyway another year down and we lost to Nederland again. Getting sick of it!!!

NDN06

100+ Posts
I LOVE it IndianFan! :clap:

BF didn't go over this play, because it obviously wasn't one of the "highlights" of the night, but your still shot shows a clear hole (which I'm sure closed up rather quickly after this shot). Execution just wasn't all there. But again, they are high school kids, and I think their overall performance was outstanding!

(BTW, for those that can't make it, these are the kinds of things BF shows in the meetings. If this play would have gone as planned, I'm sure it would have been on the highlights and his break down of the blocking, etc. would have been similar to IndianFan's analysis. He is always quick to praise the kids who executed well and made the play happen)

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores