PN-G vs. Texas City Game Thread PN-G 20 Texas City 22 FINAL

wacape

100+ Posts
The no call that got me was toward the end of the game....the TC QB went back to pass...fell to one knee and then threw the ball for incompletion. Ball was placed back at the original line of scrimage instead of where his knee touched in the backfield. Didn't know TC's QB's were so good they can setup from the kneeling position....LOL. Interesting how officiating fell apart AFTER the TC coach had that long discussion with the officials after the safety call was reversed....just sayin'. :huh:

Layingemdown

I agree, if the DC feels that it is not the scheme that is getting them in trouble, then changes to personel should be made. The thing I dont understand is that the short routes are open cause we are playing off of them. Somehow, at the same time, the middle of the field is open, and even worse than that, with this soft coverage, receivers get behind our safeties constantly with deep routes.....how is that possible with the soft coverage we are playing. I don't get it. It may be time to put your best athletes back there, regardless if they have to go both ways.

attakapandn

100+ Posts
to me our secondary is to soft.. should bump the reciever on the line and a nice pop if ball is not caught to let them know we are there.. got to get more physical with the recievers the front 7 are doing their mob containing the run and short game. need more blitzes from the LB

and when we had the ball for the last 2mins all we did is run. .after the first two was shuted down then on 3rd we should have did a short pass for the first. Doty to me is a good punter when he has to kick a short kick from the QB position.. but need a long punter .. that short punt killed up and i agree tghe refs were not calling the flags evenly.. too many uncalled pentalies..

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Texas City is a quality team from a tough district. Playing them will ultimately help the Indians improve for district play.

Looks like TC had a lot of speed and quickness in the backfield. And their QB looks to be a better passer than expected. That game could gave gone either way but the breaks were on TC's side. They also stayed with it and played tough.

The Indians will come back strong in 2 weeks.

bandkid

Staff member
PN-G may be 1-2, but no other team in this area has played opponents of the same caliber as ours has in pre-season. Both of our losses were close ones settled in the fourth quarter and both were to very good teams from tough districts. There is no doubt in my mind that PN-G will once again be a force to be reckoned with in this district and do well and the playoffs.

We were sitting where we always do...at the top on the 50, which was right in front of the box holding the scout coaches from three district rivals. At the end of the game the coaches from at least one them was commenting on the disparity in the officiating. You know that for them to say it was biased against us, it really must have been. I agree that there were plays we should have made that would have kept the game from being so close but hopefully what was learned in the loss will make us better for the district run where it really counts. I was really proud of the crowd participation there in the last minute or so....if we could keep that type of noise going all the time there would be no doubt that we are PNG.

PNGfan

100+ Posts
Central played WB and Memorial, I think those teams are light years better then the ones we've played. GP was a decent team, but let that one slip away. TC isn't that great and might not make the playoffs in that district. That game I feel was poor game management at the end of the game with 2 minutes left. Doesn't matter though because the one's that really count are the one's coming up through week 10. Still think NDNS make the playoffs, but don't know about winning district as of right now. Maybe they turn some things around.

NDN79

500+ Posts
We all know that our coaching staff will make the necessary changes to improve the teams play. I disagre with a couple of comments about playing some players both ways--I think when you do that too much then your key player is tired when it really counts in the 4th quarter. All of the mistakes, blown coverages, etc. are things that can be corrected. As far as bad official's calls--if you put a beat-down on a team and put some distance between you and them on the scoreboard, then you don't have to worry about officials deciding the game for you. IMHO!!

NDNThunder

Well said NDN79. I totally agree. One thing that has concerned me for a while is Doty being the punter. I like the pooch kicks with the possibility of a fake, but why is he punting the other times? If somebody hits him, we've not only lost a punter but we've lost the QB! Not good. With over 150 boys wanting to play ball, surely someone has the ability to punt. The poor guy has braces on both knees & he's expected to punt like TC's punter. We need a consistent, strong kicking game & that's an area that hasn't been developed. The last time we had one was in '99. Hmmm..... just sayin'.

purplewarrior

Chief Touch The Clouds
Two losses of less than 3 points? Come on if we would be 3-0 all the talk about officiating would be water under the bridge.Indians didn't get beat down or smashed. NDN79 is right if officiating is the cause of a loss you didn't play much better than your opponent.We will get better! And the mental mistakes can take down the best of the best.Keep watching cause this is a very good team in the making.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
Don't forget, our scrimmage against PAM was far more game than scrimmage and we looked far better against them than Central did. I'm just sayin' . . .

H

HC-NDN

The last time we won state in 77' we were not nearly the biggest or the fastest. Coach Doug Etheridge made us believe we could win and gave us confidence in ourselves. The team was on fire to win games for 4 quarters. We did not have to have the crowd to help us get into the game. We were there when we showed up to play.! These boys need the FIRE to win! PNG has the best football fan base of any HS team in the state! i:helmet:

PNGROW4650YRDLN

100+ Posts
purplewarrior said:
Two losses of less than 3 points? Come on if we would be 3-0 all the talk about officiating would be water under the bridge.Indians didn't get beat down or smashed. NDN79 is right if officiating is the cause of a loss you didn't play much better than your opponent.We will get better! And the mental mistakes can take down the best of the best.Keep watching cause this is a very good team in the making.
I have to disagree. I realize that the refs. can't see everything, but Friday night against TC was horrible. It doesn't matter if it affects us or our opponent. It doesn't matter if you are 3-0 or 0-3, collage or pro. Poor officiating is poor officiating.

purplewarrior

Chief Touch The Clouds
Yes poor offficiating is a problem but this is exactly what I mean about adversity and overcoming all the things that don't go our way in life.As a young person playing football these are the things they have no control over and hopefully they can use this attitude in daily life.Question if the officiating would be reversed and all the bad calls went in our favor would we still be motivated to bring this to light? This is just my opinion not intended to insult anyone.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
purplewarrior said:
Yes poor offficiating is a problem but this is exactly what I mean about adversity and overcoming all the things that don't go our way in life.As a young person playing football these are the things they have no control over and hopefully they can use this attitude in daily life.Question if the officiating would be reversed and all the bad calls went in our favor would we still be motivated to bring this to light? This is just my opinion not intended to insult anyone.

Agreed, we could've easily been 1-2 last year at this time. No need to hit the panic button yet. The coaches will have them ready for district.

badndn

500+ Posts
PNGROW4650YRDLN said:
purplewarrior said:
I have to disagree. I realize that the refs. can't see everything, but Friday night against TC was horrible. It doesn't matter if it affects us or our opponent. It doesn't matter if you are 3-0 or 0-3, collage or pro. Poor officiating is poor officiating.
The officiating was not poor...The official was poor. This is what really bothered me. It was one offical and he was on the TC Sideline! Same guy that called the Safety that was clearly not a Safety and overulled by the other 4 officials. the crazy thing about that call was that the play was run to his side of the field. Also the non-interference call on our 3rd down pass on his side of the field, followed by the PI on our defense on their 3rd down were our guy almost picked it off that was on his side of the field, if anyone interfered on that play it was the TC offensive guy. followed by the PI on the last drive on a ball that was clearly out of bounds on his side of the field, but 35 yards down field from where he was. Question: Why didn't the back judge that was standing 5 yards from the play throw a flag and why did they deliberate for two minutes? One thing TC did that you don't see anywhere else, And I thought it was a UIL rule, they replay everything on the scoreboard.
I have a friend that coaches at WOS and he does the video break downs for each game. He told me that last week against FWood (which uses the same officiating organization) they got robbed. He said that before he reviewed the video and then just confirmed it after the video review. Sounds like something is rotten in Galveston County!

So much for my rant.
Now, we played poorly against a 2-0 team from one of the, if not the toughest districts in the state and still should have or could have won! Did anyone watch Central and Ball high Saturday on TV? WOW, That was the worst football I have seen on TV, ever! So all those in our district that doubt PNG based on the record, GOOD LUCK! ;D

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I went to the game ... agree with badndn ... 1 official on the TXC sideline, not the back judge official - the side judge on the TXC side, made what I think were 2 questionable calls. The last PI call where the ball was not catchable (out of bounds) was a bad call ... if the TASO graded officials, then that guy gets a D- or F on that call alone; notwithstanding his terrible call our our DB fighting for an INT. Also, what happened to the notion of officials conferencing and making sure that the right call is made? On the last PI call the side judge and back judge did not conference and the back judge was the closer official to the play, yet the side judge threw the ridiculous flag. Oh well, Texas City is in the rear view mirror. PN-G played hard, but turnovers and our inability to get off the field after 3rd and long gave TXC a chance to kick the winner.

PN-G can feel good about its OL, DL, QB, and WRs. Although we miss a big/physical WR ala DeRon, the Indians have a collective group of pretty good WRs. I like #10 ... quick, catches the ball with his hands, and he gets north and south in a hurry. We do miss a big power back at RB, but #26 runs hard and churns out some yards. I think our RB will continue to get better and better. He runs hard and hangs on to the ball. What more can you ask for? The running game is there and coming along. PN-G needs to find a secondary. We've made 2 running QBs look like all-state candidates (GP and TXC) throwing the ball. Neither GP or TXC is all that good when you think of the big picture, i.e., Brenham, Aledo, Lake Travis, Stephenvill, Highland Park. We can't play zone and still get beat deep. If you're going to give ground underneath and keep everything in front of you, then you can't give up the long ball. We miss #8 from last year. Need some leaders in the secondary to emerge. LC-M, Ned, Lumberton, Ozen will throw the ball and we've got to stop them. We should be 3-0, but stand 1-2. In district, everyone starts 0-0. The Indians are a good team. Once a few kinks get ironed out, they can be really good. And, regardless of the scoreboard, the kids are playing hard with enthusiasm and they are having fun. One example of that is our LB #47 ... not the biggest guy in the world, but he plays hard and fast. He runs to the ball and sticks his helmet in the middle of things. I like his "get after it" and "want to". And, #33 at DE/OLB is a playmaker. On short yardage, when we need just 1 more yard, we should put #47 and #33 in the backfield with #26 and let those guys "get after it".

Proud of our Indians. Go Indians. Peace.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores