PN-G vs. Texas City Game Thread PN-G 20 Texas City 22 FINAL

bark

1,000+ Posts
I agree, we need to improve the play of the secondary. I know the coaches feel the pressure as well as the players. You can bet that Faircloth is cutting the defensive film down and putting the heat of the Def. Coor. and secondary coaches.

As I have always said, I know they are doing what they think is best and the effort of the players can not be questioned. Hopefully, with the week off we can regroup, if we don't it could be a long season. The good side is we were in every game. Fans need to stay positive and let BC take care of business.

badndn

500+ Posts
As far as Bertrand is concerned his numbers are actually comperable/better than Harmons at this point were last year.
Yds YPA TD
Harmon 361 6.01 4
Bertrand 391 5.43 3

And remember the passing game was not near as good as it is this year after the first three last year.

PNG goes 7-0 in District!
Playoff matchups will be a problem if we don't shore up the secondary.

carzan

500+ Posts
I have to agree with badndn! I have been to all three games and what I have seen is a team that is farther along at this point in the season than last year's team. They just happen to have played two tough games that came down to the wire and we didn't get the breaks. I am VERY PROUD of all of the kids and coaches! I think their hard work is about to pay off next friday when we finally get into games that actually count. Bertrand is doing a GREAT JOB in my book as is Doty and our OL and recieving crew. On defense it seems like we have the fewest returners from last year. So try and remember just how confident were you last year at this point in the season? Our secondary will be fine. For everybody that wants to get onto those kids in the backfield remember that a good pass defense starts with pressure on the QB. So please don't blame everything on the guys in the secondary. It takes a lot keep a decent team from moving the ball. We have what it takes.

PNG 7-0 in district play 2010 season! :woot: :woot: :woot: :woohoo:

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Last year the offense rode the coat tails of a more expereinced defense. This year it's the other way around. That's the case almost every year with any school.

Given time they'll come around.

pngfan66

500+ Posts
NDNTime said:
Last year out D was very opportunistic at creating turnovers. Haven't seen much of that this year...yet.
I know they work on turnover drills alot in practice. Even my son says they do it almost every practice.

badndn

500+ Posts
NDNTime said:
Last year out D was very opportunistic at creating turnovers. Haven't seen much of that this year...yet.
Great point.

And the three teams we started off with last year were nowhere near as good as the three this year (maybe with the exception of Crosby). GP is twice the team BH was and TC is much better this year after returning a lot of kids from last year. Least we forget that we almost lost to BH and TC last year! I see big things for PNG in district again.

badndn

500+ Posts
carzan said:
Our secondary will be fine. For everybody that wants to get onto those kids in the backfield remember that a good pass defense starts with pressure on the QB. So please don't blame everything on the guys in the secondary.

Yeah that goes both ways. I think if our DB's played a little tighter coverage it would give our DLine more time to put the pressure on. Look, if I'm gameplanning for PNG, I would throw quick hitters to keep the best part of our deffense (our DLine) off my backs!

Our boys have also faced some pretty stout QB's so far (Fishbeck, Merka, Harper are all returning starters, I think all three started as Sophs). Gonzales & Hughes are both three year starters and Forney can sling it.

pngfan66

500+ Posts
badndn said:
carzan said:
Our secondary will be fine. For everybody that wants to get onto those kids in the backfield remember that a good pass defense starts with pressure on the QB. So please don't blame everything on the guys in the secondary.

Yeah that goes both ways. I think if our DB's played a little tighter coverage it would give our DLine more time to put the pressure on. Look, if I'm gameplanning for PNG, I would throw quick hitters to keep the best part of our deffense (our DLine) off my backs!

Our boys have also faced some pretty stout QB's so far (Fishbeck, Merka, Harper are all returning starters, I think all three started as Sophs). Gonzales & Hughes are both three year starters and Forney can sling it.
Your right. If the Secondary could give the D line more time to penetrate that would cause alot of probs for the opposing qb. Another one to think of. How about putting DJ at a inside linebacker and blitzing him almost every down ?

NDN79

500+ Posts
I know our Indians will be ready to rock and roll next Friday. Our coaches will have the team prepared and ready to defend their district crown. I think being undefeated last season made us think it could be easily repeated. We will get it done.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
Faircloth said it at the meeting. If what you really want is to be 3-0 right now, we'll schedule Hardin Jefferson and Sabine Pass. However, we won't be ready for district play. None of the teams in our district are as good as GP and TC. 7-0 in district is far more important than 3-0 right now. 10-0 years will be few and far between because of what it takes to get ready for district play.

carzan

500+ Posts
pngfan66 said:
badndn said:
carzan said:

Your right. If the Secondary could give the D line more time to penetrate that would cause alot of probs for the opposing qb. Another one to think of. How about putting DJ at a inside linebacker and blitzing him almost every down ?

My statement was not meant to be directed at the defensive line, I merely want to point out that folks need to back off our kids in the secondary! They are working hard and in my book they are doing a good job! And that's all I have to say about that!

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
caran...You are right and it is no insult to the d-line. Everyone needs to realize that we have played very vanilla defense in non-district play. I can count on one hand how may times we have blitzed a linebacker this year. Just like Kroeker did last year, he will dial up some blitz packages, line stunts and zone blitzes. Watch what we do with DJ in district games. The secondary will be OK once we bring the heat up front. The only concern I have is that we have shown some poor tackiling early in the season. I think some of it is inexperience at LB and DB. We have taken some bad angles and too severe of angles and I think that will get better as some of our newcomers get used to the speed of Varsity football. Our coaches and players have two weeks to make the appropriate adjustments. We are going to fine

bark

1,000+ Posts
If memory serves me correctly, last year Brandan and Ryenga stepped up from nowhere - I don't remember them playing football before. I believe someone will step up this year too. A couple of good wins will cure all. These are the same coaches as last year and we should have faith in them. The bad thing is they are 16 & 17 year olds playing a game and who knows what's going on with their world.

ingainerYYZ

100+ Posts
BF and his staff will make the right adjustments. indians will do fine in district play. we had two tough opponents in non-district.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores