PN-G vs West Orange-Stark

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The Indians continue their quest to prepare for district competition. What are your thoughts on the game?

Last edited:

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member

2022 West Orange-Stark Preview (DCTF)​

Coach: Hiawatha Hickman. Lettermen R/L: 23/13. Starters returning O/D: 7/8. 2021: 11-2 regional finalist/6-0 district. Key losses: Carmello Jones (Baylor), Demetrius Hunter (Houston).

Players to watch: RB/DB Jamaal Shaw (6-2, 190, 4.5), WR/DB Dakarion Judge (5-7, 155, 4.5), WR/DB Jailen Brown (5-11, 180, 4.6), OL/DL Andrew Wilson (5-10, 255), QB/DB Keyshawn Robinson (5-8, 165, 4.6), OL Davin Heard (6-3, 300). Top juniors: WR/DB Nicholas Crosson (5-9, 160, 4.5), RB/LB Jalen Lewis (5-9, 165, 4.7), Top sophomore: RB/DB Raymond Mallett (5-6, 150, 4.6).

Other prospects: RB/DB Isaiah Thomas, WR/DB Darren Anderson, OL Ja’kalen Jenkins, TE/DE Clayton Whatley.

2022 notes: It’s a new era for the Mustangs as Hiawatha Hickman is elevated to head coach and he inherits a veteran team that brings back eight starters on both sides of the ball. A trio of two-way playmakers grab headlines for the Mustangs as RB/DB Shaw (287 yards, 4 TDs rushing; 5 INTs), WR/DB Judge (6 INTs) and WR/DB Brown (12-183, 3 TDs receiving; 53 tackles, 7 sacks) all return. Judge had a pair of interception returns that were taken to the house a year ago. The strength for this team will be the veteran experience returning in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts

2022 West Orange-Stark Preview (DCTF)​

Coach: Hiawatha Hickman. Lettermen R/L: 23/13. Starters returning O/D: 7/8. 2021: 11-2 regional finalist/6-0 district. Key losses: Carmello Jones (Baylor), Demetrius Hunter (Houston).

Players to watch: RB/DB Jamaal Shaw (6-2, 190, 4.5), WR/DB Dakarion Judge (5-7, 155, 4.5), WR/DB Jailen Brown (5-11, 180, 4.6), OL/DL Andrew Wilson (5-10, 255), QB/DB Keyshawn Robinson (5-8, 165, 4.6), OL Davin Heard (6-3, 300). Top juniors: WR/DB Nicholas Crosson (5-9, 160, 4.5), RB/LB Jalen Lewis (5-9, 165, 4.7), Top sophomore: RB/DB Raymond Mallett (5-6, 150, 4.6).

Other prospects: RB/DB Isaiah Thomas, WR/DB Darren Anderson, OL Ja’kalen Jenkins, TE/DE Clayton Whatley.

2022 notes: It’s a new era for the Mustangs as Hiawatha Hickman is elevated to head coach and he inherits a veteran team that brings back eight starters on both sides of the ball. A trio of two-way playmakers grab headlines for the Mustangs as RB/DB Shaw (287 yards, 4 TDs rushing; 5 INTs), WR/DB Judge (6 INTs) and WR/DB Brown (12-183, 3 TDs receiving; 53 tackles, 7 sacks) all return. Judge had a pair of interception returns that were taken to the house a year ago. The strength for this team will be the veteran experience returning in the trenches on both sides of the ball.
Very limited success against them over the years. I was present (1992) during one of our three victories against them during the last 20 years. If nothing else, it should give us some indication regarding the progress of the team heading into district play.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
PN-G’s offense is going to be successful this year. Even with all the mistakes against Memorial the Indians still had 400 yards and left points on the field and gave away more. Against United they had 450 yards but still made some mistakes. It will get better.

Defense has really improved with technique and pursuit. Also looks like they are getting more comfortable with the new scheme.

West Orange-Stark will be the biggest test of the season so far. It will take a mistake free game to get the win. This game will be won or lost in the trenches. PN-G’s defense will have to play lights out to win this one.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Game History

1977 PN-G 36, WO-S 13
1978 WO-S 29, PN-G 20
1979 WO-S 28, PN-G 24
1980 WO-S 36, PN-G 24
1981 PN-G 30, WO-S 7
1982 PN-G 19, WO-S 14
1983 PN-G 17, WO-S 14
1984 WO-S 23, PN-G 14
1985 WO-S 14, PN-G 2
1988 WO-S 51, PN-G 0
1989 WO-S 25, PN-G 20
1990 WO-S 35, PN-G 14
1991 WO-S 35, PN-G 16
1992 PN-G 14, WO-S 13
1993 WO-S 42, PN-G 10
1996 PN-G 35, WO-S 7
1997 WO-S 35, PN-G 0
1998 WO-S 17, PN-G 12
1999 WO-S 21, PN-G 14
2000 WO-S 7, PN-G 0
2001 WO-S 28, PN-G 0
2002 WO-S 3, PN-G 0
2003 WO-S 21, PN-G 20
2012 WO-S 34, PN-G 13
2013 PN-G 37, WO-S 34
2014 WO-S 33, PN-G 27 (OT)
2015 WO-S 28, PN-G 14

WO-S leads series 20-7-0

100+ Posts
PNG should win, and I think they will. Not exactly, but pretty much, if you've seen LCM then you've seen WOS, and PNG has already seen LCM, back in pre-season when they were still mulling things over.

WOS has a big OL and very quick running backs. I'm guessing that the game will be similar to the WOS-LCM game, which was decided by 6 points. We'll see, of course.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
The wOS game had a difference of four two point conversions vs LCM missing Xtra points. They each scored 5 tds

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
WO-S usually plays man in the secondary and they bring pressure. The window to complete a pass will be small, and Crippen will have defenders hanging off his arms and legs, just like PN-G saw when Memorial played man and brought the house. PN-G will have to run the ball. If WO-S shuts down the run game the way PAM did, it may be a long night near Chemical Row in Orange County.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
One of the positives that came out of the BU game was the emergence of a very good 3rd receiver in #84 Julian Lopez. Tall, tough and great hands. With Prosperie, Adams, Lopez, as well as Guarnere if needed, the Indians have a good shot at getting open and catching some passes if Crippen is on target. And don’t overlook Brock Hebert or Tommy Reed on a nice wheel route out of the backfield. As mentioned, the line of scrimmage is key. If the big guys give Crippen some time, and open some gaps for Reed, anything is possible.

Also notable in the United game, by not playing him both ways, Guarnere was able to maintain a better energy level and play a tremendous game with several key plays. Having him in the secondary is like having a fourth receiver who is trying to catch opponent passes.

Also the great linebacker play by Mason Droddy, Seth Landry, Sebastian Agudelo, and Nick Gardiner should be recognized. Those guys were all over the field against United with Droddy looking like a superstar for the second week in a row. This defense is definitely improving and will improve each game.

CS

100+ Posts
WO-S usually plays man in the secondary and they bring pressure. The window to complete a pass will be small, and Crippen will have defenders hanging off his arms and legs, just like PN-G saw when Memorial played man and brought the house. PN-G will have to run the ball. If WO-S shuts down the run game the way PAM did, it may be a long night near Chemical Row in Orange County.
They're running a 4-2-5 now.

PNGIndian75

100+ Posts
The Indians continue their quest to prepare for district competition. What are your thoughts on the game?
IndianFan, I would like to see more of what I saw last week with the running game behind that great offensive line. And the defense that showed up last week with leg tackles that took them down right now instead of arm tackles that the opponent breaks free from 90% of the time. Mix the strong running game with a solid passing game in Crippen, play solid defense and this is a PNG win. I know WOS is strong, but a lot of people don't realize that PNG is much stronger than they showed against PAM. Would love Mr. Buddy Garrity's comment. At least things are looking better than after week one even though we know Beaumont United is not the 6A powerhouse that we are all familiar with in the state. Katy, Austin Westlake, Southlake Carroll and others. But this will be great preparation against WOS to get ready for a tough district.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
Its gonna start with the trenches. Our offensive line has already shown they can run block. If we establish the run Then we got ourselves a game. WOS speed is much higher than BUT's was. Across the board. That being said I still dont think they have anyone that can man up on Prosperie. WOS will man up on all 3 recievers. So get the running going and should be able to throw.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
IndianFan, I would like to see more of what I saw last week with the running game behind that great offensive line. And the defense that showed up last week with leg tackles that took them down right now instead of arm tackles that the opponent breaks free from 90% of the time. Mix the strong running game with a solid passing game in Crippen, play solid defense and this is a PNG win. I know WOS is strong, but a lot of people don't realize that PNG is much stronger than they showed against PAM. Would love Mr. Buddy Garrity's comment. At least things are looking better than after week one even though we know Beaumont United is not the 6A powerhouse that we are all familiar with in the state. Katy, Austin Westlake, Southlake Carroll and others. But this will be great preparation against WOS to get ready for a tough district.
Completely agree re Memorial and the chances against WO-S. Week 1 was the equivalent of the first full scrimmage for PNG and the growing pains were evident. The 3rd quarter, outgaining Memorial 178-63, was a better indication of the matchups. WO-S will be good but no one is unbeatable. Win or lose I expect the Indians to continue playing better football as the season progresses.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores