PN-GISD vows to keep coach applicants secret

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
For those are interested in what the law says...

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/GV/content/htm/gv.005.00.000552.00.htm

A salient point from the preamble...

Under the fundamental philosophy of the American constitutional form of representative government that adheres to the principle that government is the servant and not the master of the people, it is the policy of this state that each person is entitled, unless otherwise expressly provided by law, at all times to complete information about the affairs of government and the official acts of public officials and employees. The people, in delegating authority, do not give their public servants the right to decide what is good for the people to know and what is not good for them to know. The people insist on remaining informed so that they may retain control over the instruments they have created. The provisions of this chapter shall be liberally construed to implement this policy.

It goes on to include school districts are part of the governmental bodies covers under the act.

It's the Law.

lizard

The board is doing a good job protecting these applicants. They are doing the right thing for these candidates and also for the district to land the best coach that it can get.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
old dog said:
The board is doing a good job protecting these applicants. They are doing the right thing for these candidates and also for the district to land the best coach that it can get.
Wrong! The only people protected by the law from disclosure are college presidental candidates and school district superintendents applicants. For example, every teacher knows you can go online and find the salary of every person employed by a public school. I KNOW from a very good source that all the local papers and media are planning more stories about PNG that will make us sound like a bunch of idiots. This exact situation has already been tried in the courts and the Attorney General has ruled on it. I am not being negative because I have no dog in this fight. I'd just really like to understand "why all the secrecy?" It doesn't make sense if all the other districts disclose this info. Also, it is NOT the entire board involved--just the "infamous three".

Gumbeaux

"I have no dog in the fight"...or the "infamous three"....Squaw we all know the board member you support and trying to put board members names on here just shows how much true class you really have....If you dont have any "dogs in the fight" then why post on this board?

I know who you are and everyone else knows who you are...We also know which board member you support and realize that your "1" is not on the selection committee....Who gives a flip....Get over it....

I am not on one side or the other....We all know the law and we all know that some laws really dont bide well in certain situations....I support protecting the applicants....Its a decent and genuine way of handling it...

Xcrystalbeachbum

100+ Posts
Gumbeaux said:
"I have no dog in the fight"...or the "infamous three"....Squaw we all know the board member you support and trying to put board members names on here just shows how much true class you really have....If you dont have any "dogs in the fight" then why post on this board?

I know who you are and everyone else knows who you are...We also know which board member you support and realize that your "1" is not on the selection committee....Who gives a flip....Get over it....

I am not on one side or the other....We all know the law and we all know that some laws really dont bide well in certain situations....I support protecting the applicants....Its a decent and genuine way of handling it...

I have no idea who Squaw is. Since everyone knows who you are Squaw, just give it up. If you don't then I may have to throw down a FOI on these guys. :clap:

So to quote "Gumbeaux" himself, once they release the names "Get over it".

[/quote]

squaw

1,000+ Posts
Xcrystalbeachbum said:
Gumbeaux said:

I have no idea who Squaw is. Since everyone knows who you are Squaw, just give it up. If you don't then I may have to throw down a FOI on these guys. :clap:

So to quote "Gumbeaux" himself, once they release the names "Get over it".
Well said! Gum just thinks he knows who I am. lol Also, I support several people on the board--including one of the "infamous three". Even if I disagree with some things, I try hard to be reasonable. GUM---read the Beaumont Enterprise statement today. If you still disagree, I'm sorry for you.

kfdmcoop

100+ Posts
Beaumont Enterprise

PN-G school district should release names of coach applicants
By ENTERPRISE OPINIONS
January, 16, 2009

The Port Neches-Groves school board is causing a needless problem and expense for its taxpayers. It is refusing to release the names of those who have applied for athletics director/football coach in violation of and ignorance of state law and previous attorney general's rulings.

This is silly. This exact issue has been dragged through the AG's office and the courts many times. It is settled law. Only two exceptions exist to the requirement that the names of all applicants for public jobs be released - university presidents and school district superintendents.

Any attorney should be able to tell the PN-G board that privacy statutes don't apply. Trustees are flouting the law by requesting an AG's opinion. They quite probably are hoping that by the time the AG rules against them, the hire will be made and they will have safely circumvented the law and gotten their way.

Taxpayers deserve to know who the applicants are before the new person is hired, not after. They may be forgiven for wondering what else trustees are hiding.

Xcrystalbeachbum

100+ Posts
"The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them."
---Karl Marx-----

Gumbeaux

When a district "inquires" to the AG I would think the only "COST" would be an envelope and stamp....

If the AG says "no go".....Then they release....Where is everyone coming up with all these "expenses"????

As for Squaw....I wont put your name out there...Dont think that is right.....But if need be I can send you a personal message confirming....Your call.....

:popcorn:

NONS81

Gumbeaux said:
When a district "inquires" to the AG I would think the only "COST" would be an envelope and stamp....

If the AG says "no go".....Then they release....Where is everyone coming up with all these "expenses"????

As for Squaw....I wont put your name out there...Dont think that is right.....But if need be I can send you a personal message confirming....Your call.....

The district does nothing without an attorney and I mean nothing!!!! And that is not free. Actually, I am surprised that no one has filed a petition yet, to have the entire board removed - not just over this but for the many types of things like this that occur. Maybe that will be the next big "hoopla" here in PN. Every other school board allows for an open forum for feedback in their district (around here) but not us - which, in my mind suggest that they don't give a flip what we think. You cannot speak out at the meetings, if the topic you wish to speak to them about comes out on the agenda, it is too late to be added to the agenda and the topic is voted on at that meeting and you have no chance to make you statement and then it is a done deal. What is up with that? How is that community involvement? Do I think the board is doing a good job? Not really.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
Gumbeaux said:

PM me--I will gladly discuss this with you but be sure you identify yourself also. I am not ashamed of who I am or what I say because I have the district and the taxpayers at heart.

PNGIndianFan06

100+ Posts
NDNS81 said:
The district does nothing without an attorney and I mean nothing!!!! And that is not free. Actually, I am surprised that no one has filed a petition yet, to have the entire board removed - not just over this but for the many types of things like this that occur. Maybe that will be the next big "hoopla" here in PN. Every other school board allows for an open forum for feedback in their district (around here) but not us - which, in my mind suggest that they don't give a flip what we think. You cannot speak out at the meetings, if the topic you wish to speak to them about comes out on the agenda, it is too late to be added to the agenda and the topic is voted on at that meeting and you have no chance to make you statement and then it is a done deal. What is up with that? How is that community involvement? Do I think the board is doing a good job? Not really.

I don't know if this is true for PNGISD but most schools keep an attorney on retainer; you pay them monthly whether you use their services or not. In our litigeous society it only makes sense to do so; I know we do for our business we may not use their services every month but we do have them at our service if needed.

So needless to say, you are probably paying for attorneys fees with your tax dollars whether they are needed or not.

Also, most board meetings are run by Robert's Rules of Order. Any business meeting, whether it is a school board, a church, or a Fortune 500 company, requires that you be on the agenda to be recognized to speak at the board meeting.

NONS81

PNGIndianFan06 said:
NDNS81 said:

I don't know if this is true for PNGISD but most schools keep an attorney on retainer; you pay them monthly whether you use their services or not. In our litigeous society it only makes sense to do so; I know we do for our business we may not use their services every month but we do have them at our service if needed.

So needless to say, you are probably paying for attorneys fees with your tax dollars whether they are needed or not.

Also, most board meetings are run by Robert's Rules of Order. Any business meeting, whether it is a school board, a church, or a Fortune 500 company, requires that you be on the agenda to be recognized to speak at the board meeting.

Just wondering why others have an open forum for discussion. Couldn't a brief period of time be assigned for discussion from the public?

Another thought came to mind - how about a separate meeting for public response or discussion? Maybe it just needs to be suggested to the school district.

PNGIndianFan06

100+ Posts
I don't see why it could not be arranged the way EX79NDN explained it is done at his school district; nice thought but not sure if it would ever happen. See his post in Community Concerns.

NONS81

PNGIndianFan06 said:
I don't see why it could not be arranged the way EX79NDN explained it is done at his school district; nice thought but not sure if it would ever happen. See his post in Community Concerns.

I saw her post and that is what I was getting at. I like the idea and will try make the suggestion. I really hope they consider it. I realize it could make for a lengthy meeting that is why I suggested a separate meeting for voicing concerns and open forum.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
A reasonable and calm request to recognize and execute existing policies might be in order.

http://www.tasb.org/policy/pol/private/123908/pol.cfm?DisplayPage=BED(LEGAL).pdf

http://www.tasb.org/policy/pol/private/123908/pol.cfm?DisplayPage=BED(LOCAL).pdf

EX79NDN

100+ Posts
NDNS81 said:
PNGIndianFan06 said:

I saw her post and that is what I was getting at. I like the idea and will try make the suggestion. I really hope they consider it. I realize it could make for a lengthy meeting that is why I suggested a separate meeting for voicing concerns and open forum.
Not any longer than some other meetings are. I failed to also post that they limit it to the first five people on the list. Knowing that a person who wants to speak makes sure they get there early and get their name on the list early. If only two people show up, that only extended the meeting an extra 20 minutes. A small price to pay or should I say time frame when you are being kind enough to listen to the communities concerns and the people you serve! I know our (the school board in my area) school board would stay all night long listening to the community if that is what it took. I understand that PNGISD is a larger school district, but if I was on a school board I would want to hear what my neighbors and the people I work for have to say.

It is also very comman to see various school board members at various extracurricular activies supporting the students. Let's you feel like the school board is really in their postion for the students and not the glamour, glory or money.

NONS81

EX79NDN said:
NDNS81 said:
PNGIndianFan06 said:

Not any longer than some other meetings are. I failed to also post that they limit it to the first five people on the list. Knowing that a person who wants to speak makes sure they get there early and get their name on the list early. If only two people show up, that only extended the meeting an extra 20 minutes. A small price to pay or should I say time frame when you are being kind enough to listen to the communities concerns and the people you serve! I know our (the school board in my area) school board would stay all night long listening to the community if that is what it took. I understand that PNGISD is a larger school district, but if I was on a school board I would want to hear what my neighbors and the people I work for have to say.

It is also very comman to see various school board members at various extracurricular activies supporting the students. Let's you feel like the school board is really in their postion for the students and not the glamour, glory or money.

I wish it was this way here...

EX79NDN

100+ Posts
NDNS81 said:
EX79NDN said:
NDNS81 said:
PNGIndianFan06 said:

I wish it was this way here...

I love the community I was raised in and the school district I graduated from. I truly bleed purple and white, hold season tickets to the games and try to support PNG in every way I can but I would not trade the community I live in now or the school board we have for anything in the world. Even though a smaller school district, it reminds me of how the PNG school district use to be when I went to school there. Everybody knows everybody, all parents know all the kids and alot of the parents work for the school district in some form or another. Our Superintendent lives just down the street from me. During Rita and Ike we were back and fourth between each others house sharing what supplies we each had. When the government supplies came in (MRE'S, Ice and water) the collection point for the community was at the high school. The community pitched in on different days and helped with the distributing of the supplies. Also alot of the various high school clubs helped out. I know that the FFA help several days and the FFA teachers used it as a service event and the students that showed up and helped got extra credit. Yes, some people might say we are kind of clannish, but we all like it that way and do not want it to change. O and did I also mention that we also just passed a bond election for a new high school, expand the elementary and revamp the current high school to become the Jr. high. When the school board was in the planning stages for this, they held several community school board meetings to keep the community advised on the progress and to also get feed back from the community, since it was "Our schools", not the school boards schools.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores