PNG - Brenham Football only!

Lilabbeyville

I've done some queries online about the Cubs and haven't found any info. pertaining to their squad. I will say this about ours though, for the last two games somethings changed concerning the Indian offense. I'll list my observations to see how many have been paying attention. 1. Quarterback leaving pocket with little or no pressure and throwing while trotting. Prior to Central game, stayed cool and showed exceptional mechanics. 2. Primary reciever has changed (why change from the ones that got us to the dance)! 3. Hard fought drives dying on the vine inside the 20 (Heck, inside the 10). Ball club in the last 2 games show signs mirroring that of the last decade, you can tell when they exit the field house to enter the field at kickoff, Flatter than a pancake. When you don't start playing football till 3 or 4 minutes into the 3rd quarter, its a sign of something wrong. We've gotten away with it so far and had better get back to playing 4 quarters of football offensively. Address why the QB is throwing off one foot while jogging, find out why all the sudden passes in the gloves are dropped or worse yet, fumbled. Got 3 days left. Lets get it together...

NDNfan#1

100+ Posts
Yes, I have noticed some of the same things on offense. I think that nerves are getting to them. Now that they have two stressful games under their belt, lets hope the boys can settle the nerves and play smart. Defense has been virtually the same all year. It seems like we see what their offense has the first half, then completely shut them down the second half. FYI, I also just noticed that the Massey ratings have PNG ranked 12th and Brenham 39th

akifan94

500+ Posts
I posted this in the other thread also...

Here is a scouting report I was told the other night by someone who has watched a few Brenham games this year.....

Offense

QB is very accurate. He does not make many mistakes and can run. He is not as good a runner as we have seen in Merka and Viverette, but he is not scared to tuck it in run when their is no one open. His only weakness is he tends to lock onto #81 and rarely looks elsewhere unless the play is designed to go away from #81. #81 is their best player and is a national top 200 recruit commited to Utah. He is fast with good hands. He lines up at TE and WR. They will try to run the ball more than they throw and have a sophomore at RB. He is good but will not be the best we have seen. He is under 500 yards rushing on the year but has a good average. They have a big line, no other details were mentioned.

Defense

Good size up front but they can be ran on. #81 once again is their playmaker on defense. It is best to throw away from him. Nothing outstanding about the defense. Good team speed and can get to the ball but they do not always make the tackle.

Conclusion

Think Central game. If we limit mistakes we have a good chance of winning. We make mistakes and we will be in a dogfight to try and win. Brenham does not turn the ball over very often and we can't have drives stall due to mistakes and penalties.

N

NDNPARENT

my take is if they have mutli players playing both ways then come 4th qtr we will wear them down. I for one hope they KICK the Kickoff away and put them inside their 20 and let our defense take over. I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THE SHORT KICK AND GIVE THEM GOOD FIELD POSITION.

if #81 is their best player on offense then we need to stick a man on him man to man and make the QB beat us with another WR.

I believe in our DEFENSE and they will stop the run and make the big def. play . Us fan need to fire them up with our DE FENSE CHANTS on every down. Trust me they do hear us and they feed off of us!

if our off. line can push the bigger guys on def. then Harmon will get his yardage. but i feel we need to have Ross and company to pick up the slack due to they will be focus on #7 . He carried 40 times last week and that is a lot of hits!

as for as Doty he will be just fine as long as the off. line protect him and he spread the ball around to keep the Def. honest. One thing i did not like last week was the EAST/WEST passing instead of the North/south .. gotta move the ball up the field instead of trying to pass sideline and depent on the WR to run for the yards.

pngfan66

500+ Posts
Ok I watched some of the practice today. Shetley is back practicing full speed. Something I noticed today was that the team was hustling hard. They were high fiving each other, jumping up in the air chest butting. They just all looked serious and very pumped up. I saw some new stuff on the offensive side as well. Not going to mention it on here though. But it was interesting. It just looked like to me today that the team was busting their butts on every thing they were doing. Such intensity tells me that the coaches have done some butt chewing and refocusing of the team. It almost reminded me of when the teams do 2 a days. Run hard from one station to the next, no breaks, just hard work. I saw in the practice that the coaches must have implemented more conditioning drills as well. I think we are going to see a different NDN team this Friday that what we saw last Friday. All for the good to say !!! Go get em NDN'S !!!! Ya'll looked good in focused in practice today. Keep it up. On another note. D Davis was in street clothes on the field. Don't know if we will get to see him play this week. Better to be safe than sorry.

ndn78

100+ Posts
As per Faircloth at BC mtg. #81 is their version on #44 Hale from Central except he plays WR/TE as well as Safety. Going to Utah with Hale. Nose Tackle 6'3" 295lb. sophomore. Well coached run a little bit of everything. #81 is the only one that goes both ways and the big NT plays fullback on short yardage (The Fridge). Good athletes, 2 studs all the rest like our boys, they just play hard. We can take em!

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
Lilabbeyville said:
2. Primary reciever has changed (why change from the ones that got us to the dance)!

Here is my opinion on this based on things I have heard at BC meetings:

1) Doty is not coached on which receiver to throw to. He takes what the defense gives him and utilizes it exceptionally well. Prior to the Central game, we had 5 different as leading receivers across 9 games. That makes it very difficult for defenses to prepare for. Cover as many as you can, but he will always find one to throw to.

2) The team is coached to function as a team. It is not about which receiver is the go to. They all understand very well that they get the ball on some plays, but that they have to be available to block on other plays. Faircloth illustrates this very well when showing video as one play will have a receiver gaining great yardage, then another play will show that same receiver laying an excellent block for a team mate to gain yardage.

Also, someone mentioned putting a spy on #81. My personal opinion is that this is the best way to get beat by him unless you are talking about a spy in addition to regular coverage that he would normally get. He is simply too good to have just one player locked on to him.

ndn78

100+ Posts
The Brenham Cub defense continues to be an offensive threat in its own right.

Terrell Reese and Michael Walker each returned interceptions for touchdowns in Friday’s 49-14 Class 4A Division II bi-district victory over the Manor Mustangs, bringing the Cubs’ defensive touchdown count up to eight in 11 games this season.

Senior defensive end Ken-neth Allen has recovered three fumbles for touchdowns this season, giving him the team lead, while Reese and Christian McBride each have a pair of defensive touchdowns. Safety Jeremy Hall has one, as does Walker.

“They’re an athletic bunch and they take advantage of opportunities,” Brenham (9-2) coach Glen West said. “They can go the distance because they are very athletic.”

Friday’s win not only advanced the Cubs to the area round of the playoffs, where they will face Port Neches-Groves (11-0) Friday at Aldine ISD’s Thorne Stadium, but gave the team a boost after a 15-14 loss to Waller in its regular-season finale. Brenham opened that game with a kickoff return by Derek Edwards for a touchdown, and the Cubs pulled a similar trick against Manor when Reese returned his interception to the end zone to give Brenham a quick 7-0 lead. The Cubs would go on to lead 42-0 by halftime.

“We played with a lot of emotion, and when Terrell intercepted that first pass and ran it back for a touchdown, it wasn’t the same as returning the kick against Waller,” West said. “It felt different. We just exploded into it and I think that’s because we were ready to play.”

West said the win lifted the Cubs’ spirits after a disappointing loss the week before, but cautioned that the Cubs haven’t fixed everything yet, especially with a team the caliber of PN-G up next.

“Right now the thing to understand is that we’re living on borrowed time,” West said. “Every week the challenges get bigger and that’s the fun of the playoffs. You go out with everything you’ve got and try to live another week.”

---

Port Neches-Groves is coming off a 21-7 victory over Barbers Hill in which Caleb Harmon ran for three touchdowns and finished with 195 yards on 41 carries.

Indians quarterback Brennan Doty completed 18 of 28 passes for 145 yards and an interception.

“This is a team that is extremely disciplined, big, physical and very, very well-coached,” West said.

PN-G coach Brandon Faircloth, like West, is a Brownwood High School graduate who played for the Lions during his own prep football days. Faircloth is in his first season at PN-G after serving as a coordinator at Odessa Permian.

“He’s got them playing at a fever pitch and that area over there will play at a fever pitch,” West said. “They’re serious about their football.”

Indeed, some Indians fans have written e-mails to both West and the Banner-Press expressing displeasure over the game being held at 10,000-capacity Thorne Stadium. PN-G is expected to bring about 8,000 fans to the game.

West said Brenham and PN-G agreed to hold the game Friday due to Brenham’s participation in the state volleyball tournament Thursday and possibly Saturday, and were then looking for available stadiums. Brenham suggested Thorne and PN-G suggested Spring Branch, but Spring Branch’s availability couldn’t be guaranteed until the conclusion of another playoff game Saturday night, and if that stadium was unavailable the teams would have to scramble to find a venue. Instead, both coaches agreed to Thorne Stadium without a coin flip.

The Brenham/PN-G winner will face the winner between Houston Jones and Angleton.

---

N

NDNPARENT

LOVE this quote from Coach West!

He’s got them playing at a fever pitch and that area over there will play at a fever pitch,” West said. “They’re serious about their football.”
:rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks:

Lilabbeyville

Akifan94, Thanks for sharing the scouting report.
NDNfan#1, I agree that the "pre-game jitters" and nerves are in play here. The young men who practice hard and play before the size crowds this Community brings must be awe-inspiring not to mention nerve racking for both players and staff. Its a Purple Phenomenon, lol
PNGfan93, Your "opinion" is right on target. I didn't do a good job of communicating my concerns and what you laid out about the recieving corp throughout the season (prior to Central) of 4 or 5 team players catching footballs is true.
PNG82, It may be that when staff sees the QB being frustrated that they go to the higher % pass routes. I noticed the same thing you did after it was evident things were tough for the mid & long routes.
This ball club will play their hearts out till the end. When its over Win or Lose, the field they walk off of will have been Blessed by a presence of Character.

Lonestar JR

Cubs are Tough - Thanks for sharing the scouting report. The Brenham Banner Express reported that Brenham played its reserves during the entire second half of its bi-district route of Manor. In addition they only lost two games all season. One of those losses was by one point to their Co-District partner, Waller. You can read this article on the Brenham Banner Express online page. But, the Indians can win this tough contest.

Go INDIANS and HARMONIZE the Cubs. May the ARROWFORCE be with you.

Lonestar JR

pngfan66

500+ Posts
Like I said above, I saw some new things in the back field in practice yesterday. Could be interesting. The recievers were working OT yesterday as well. Lots and Lots of pass routes and lots of balls going to each one. I feel the NDN's win this one. Should be close first half with the NDN's wearing out the cub D in the second half. Still feel we will pull away in the second half. We will see lots of Harmon and other things from the backfield. Its going to be wet and cold Friday night. So I see lots of ground game happening. Our D will step up and shut down the Cub offense. The D will have to put some serious pressure on the cubs QB. Make some hard hits on him. Let him know they are there and can get to him. Should frustrate him some. Turnovers could come into play. But that was worked hard in practice as well with the practice D hitting at the ball on the backs and recievers. Coaches are working hard on basics and fundamentals. Like I said above, the team just looked alot different in practice compared to last week. I get a chance to watch about half the practice most days. Its alot of fun to go and watch. If you get the chance I would go. Lots of fans watching at times.

png9mon

When our "D" steps up & shuts down Brenham (as the fans know we are due for a defensive domination for 4 quarters), then I know we will get some momentum to generate scoring. Rain, or Shine!!!

NDN79

500+ Posts
Talked to a couple of our players and they say that they have had a greta week of practice so far. They are very excited and focused about the game with Brenham. :woohoo:

NDNfan#1

100+ Posts
PNG82 said:
my take is if they have mutli players playing both ways then come 4th qtr we will wear them down...
I agree with you PNG82 I think our players only being on one side of the ball has helped us all year.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
For the sake of keeping things as secret as possible, please do not post what you see happening in practice. I'm sure Faircloth and staff would greatly appreciate it.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores