Remember this Quote 2010 NDNs

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
bandkid said:
NDNmom91 said:
I'm sorry, some may not agree, but I say we bring back Bonzai!! People talk about the fans getting on their feet....well...that will do it BIG TIME!!

What, exactly, is "Bonzai"?

I could have sworn there are some videos of when the Indians did this floating around here somewhere, but I'll try and explain it the best I can. We got a new coach the football season of '89 (Danny Malone) and our kickoff team started doing Bonzai. There was one player designated as "Bonzai man" and he would jump up and down, and get the crowd pumped up, then right before kickoff, he would grab his facemask and rare back and the whole crowd would yell..........BONZAI!!!! We only did it for two seasons, cause Malone left and the new coach stopped it, but it was BAD *SS!!! I mean for every kickoff the crowd was on there feet yelling and cheering, then thousands of rabid Indian fans would yell Bonzai at the same time! I just wish we could start it again, it was fun!

NDN06

100+ Posts
Thanks bandkid for asking, I was wondering too. (Seems were the young 'uns on here lol)

And thanks for the response IndianMom... sounds like a heck of alot of fun!

If someone finds a video on the internet, please post the link so all the 'kids' can see it. Haha

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
IndianFan said:
Malone and Bonzai were 20 years ago. Time passes quickly. :eek:ld:

IndianFan...did you have to remind me ;D! On that note, I remember someone posting a video of Bonzai on here last year I think...it was on the old board, do you know anything about it?

Indian99

500+ Posts
Bonzai was awesome. Some guy on the kickoff team did it in '99 to start the 2nd half when we were getting beat by LCM at halftime. It pumped the whole team up and we went out and limited LCM to 11 total yards the 2nd half. But, that was nothing compared to Bonzai in '89. That guy went all out.

badndn

500+ Posts
That guy in 89 was Ted Ancelet.

Japanese soldiers shouted "Tennouheika Banzai!" when they were dying during World War II.

"GERONIMO" would be a great battle cry!

I thought they were churning ice cream for the refs. We got a chance to meet Coach Faircloths dad and he sure is a nice gentleman. On the way out of the stadium after the game, he was agreeing with us that the guys in the striped shirts had a big influence on the outcome. No sour grapes. I don't mind getting beat by a better team but I hate to lose when the refs have made such a difference. No matter, our team, our coaches, and our fans are class acts which can not be said by everyone we play.

Starfire

I will freely admit I'm a Brenham fan, but I would like to give another part of the story as to why Ty spoke as he did. Here is the comment before and after his comment in the story (bold, color my emphasis):

Brenham beat the previously undefeated Indians 27-21 at W.W. Thorne Stadium after jumping out to a 20-0 first half lead and then holding on in the closing seconds. PN-G, led by running back Caleb Harmon, won its first 11 games of the season, but perhaps it was that outstanding regular season that inspired a few Internet comments that captured the Cubs’ attention heading into Friday night’s game.

“This whole week we’ve been hearing stuff that they don’t respect us at all,” Brenham quarterback Ty Schlottmann said. “They don’t respect our offense, our defense - they just think they can come out here and beat us and we just came out here with so much intensity, played with so much emotion, and after we scored that first touchdown we knew we could beat these guys. They’re not all that.”

Brenham (10-2) coach Glen West said the online comments didn’t come from PN-G’s players or coaches, but instead came from the fans. That seemed to make little difference to the Cubs.

You guys came out there and backed your talk - but as it's obvious anyone can read your boards and comments. And, sometimes it backfires.

Learned this another way from another school we played against in volleyball my senior year. We had split the games (though the one at their stadium will be questionable due to items such as electric megaphones be used), and had to play a playoff to determine first and second place seeding. Well... they won again.

The two teams went down in the playoffs, defeating teams until the Regional Finals. Unlike State, where the teams and fans are intentionally separated into different hotels, that is not the case in regionals (at least 1996).

Well, their fans were behaving like the previous game, banging on the doors all hours of the night, calling the phones and saying "We're going to kick your butt" and all the other smack talk...

... Our team got pissed off and won 15-5, 15-9, first time we ever swept the opponent.

But to go back to the game last week, I wanted to mention this too - Ty's comment isn't the only side of the story. I overheard comments on our side thinking they had it in the bag. Personally, I have seen teams win it in literally 20 seconds or less before, so I said, "wait up guys... not with PNG" and they shrugged. Afterall, football's at the one yard line and all they need to do is run it in and that's that...

Well - their cockiness got them and they fumbled, allowing your team to take advantage of it and score a touchdown that - along with the onside kick recovery, could've have made it a stunning (probably literally in some cases), come from behind victory.

I want to make it clear - save the last minute which nearly bit them in the butt, I didn't hear a single Brenham player diss your team. If I did, I'd been disappointed, because you know what? Everyone can have a good day/bad day/odd day, which all were there that game. They played harder because of comments here, but you guys are so proud of your team (and should be - I was really impressed with them - they'd make yearly dominating team Katy quiver), that you can smack talk and back it as well.

All in all, I wasn't fond of either side's comments, but for a different reason. Karma has a horrible way of coming back on teams in these things. It makes for weaker teams such as Waller (who needed to beat Brenham to even make playoffs) look and act like all-stars in a second.

Personally, I hate any and all cockiness of any level (we're going to kick your butt, etc.) because each time you go out on the field, it's anyone's game. Whether your 2-8 or 10-0, each game you can easily win or lose based on many factors. Smack talk doesn't do anything except rile up people and more often than not make things worse - one case, put two schools on UIL probation for a year.

Starfire

15PNG said:
Exactly! That's why I posted the article that I saw out on Brenham's paper/website. I read that and thought, NO CLASS. That surprised me about Brenham. We ARE all that, and then some. We just had a bad game in the first half. Let's learn to play 4 FULL quarters with a LEAD foot. Bring it on, and keep it on. NO MERCY. The PN-G haters out there, fire me up. They want what we have. We love our teams unconditionally. I'm ready for 2010 and will make many more trips in from Austin, rain or shine. I played for the Indians, I am an Indian, and will forever remain an Indian, win or lose. BRING IT in 2010. i will be there doing my part. :rocks:

badndn said:
Put it on the bulletin board underclassmen and use it as fuel all off-season.
I initially was hoping Brenham would win it all, but the way they taunted and acted on the field and now in the newspapper, I hope Angleton puts a beating on them next week!!!

This is what I mean - please don't get upset with a whole team because of a comment by a football player that he gave the reporter just after they had to hold on to their lead and win in literally the last 12 or so seconds of the game.

Adrenaline's high at that time - as it was in comments here all through the week that lead up to the game against Brenham. People say things they wish they don't say when that wave is high, and I think this is what has happened here on all sides (note, I say all sides).

Look at it another way - you wouldn't want people to look down on your fantastic team just because of a comment made by one player or their fans? All this does is make you look like poor sports when you should be proud of your team.

I think - remembering how the Indian Spirit danced (please forgive me if I'm in error here, but the dancer), it's best to look at it like him - show spirit for your team and lift it higher and for a good cause - as well as celebrating a fine season - instead of channeling it out as hatred toward another team for a relatively stupid comment (which it is).

Starfire

PNGROW4650YRDLN said:
My mother always told me that actions speak louder than words. The arrogance of the Brenham Cubs was evident on the field before the game, during the game, when a PNG player was down on the field, after the game and as well as in the newspaper article. As for me, I would rather have an humble loser on my team than an arrogant winner anyday. Enough said.

I was near the sidelines, and wanted to say this - even I didn't see the player was hurt and when I did, I tried to get the band to stop. They didn't see that the player was down, and had NO signal from anyone that there was no play going on.

Please note, there were NO PNG players kneeling down to show their player was hurt, whereas Brenham players as soon as they could quickly took a knee. This can be seen (at least I hope - I haven't been able to view it) in the video.

Brenham has always quickly stopped their band from playing if a player is hurt - regardless of team. Had they known, they'd done that quickly. Quite frankly, the whole side was embarrassed that it happened, and if it isn't clear here, I will say that I'm sorry that I couldn't get them to stop though I did try.

But, I do take a bit of offense reading the two comments in red, because they're ironic.

When I say I'm a fan of Brenham, I'm also very observant of both teams - both acted very cocky and arrogant, and that includes the fans. Why shouldn't they? - all sides are proud of their team's accomplishments and have a right to brag.

I found the sing-song of Brenham when they thought they had the win easily with a minute left on the clock and the events that lead to the double personal fouls on PNG - and the booing of the fans that ensued - to be totally tactless. That's not what football - or fandom - should be, particularly high school football.

We're passionate for our teams yes, (why else would NBC do a series on Texas HS football?) but it is quite ironic when both sides of the equation call each other tactless yet both really were at times this game.

Now, all this said, I do truly wish you guys the best next season. You do have a lot of reason to go out there and run down Brenham - they are the only team that beat you this year. But calling a whole team tactless due to a reference to comments on a messageboard and not PNG's players doesn't help things out - I have even seen it with others schools make them play worse the next year.

Starfire

modmouse78 said:
Where i was sitting, we were discussing that kick-off routine. We decided that they were churning ice cream. I guess they have to practice even during football games.

I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I would presume it's a way to rally their fans into getting them to get the noise up. It's also probably a teamwork reminder.

Or, it could be similar to your Bonzai comment - which was used at other schools around Texas as well.

It most definitely isn't racist nor to "churn ice cream" (which BTW, machines do that now. ;) )

Starfire

MOM2INDIANS said:
:shout: ITS NOT LIKE THEY KICKED OUR BUTTS...WE WERE A TOUCHDOWN AWAY....AND YOU KNOW THEY WERE SCARED SHI$$LESS WHEN WE GOT THE BALL BACK. WHEN I SAW THAT CHURNING MESS...WHAT? IM GLAD OUR GUYS STAY CLASSY. WE ARE CLASSY ALL AROUND. OUR INDIANETTES WERE CLOTHS, OUR BAND HAS TASTE, WE DONT BOOO THE WHOLE GAME. PROUD TO BE AN INDIAN. MY LIL INDIAN AND MY CHIEF WILL GROW UP THE SAME WAY.

You boo'ed big time when there was a double personal foul as well as many times during the game when calls didn't go your way. The same happened with Brenham's side. I'd say it actually was even-handed there, and there was NO booing ALL game on either side. (Then again - we all were upset about how the referees were calling - they had odd calls on both sides of the stadium. It was just... weird, but I've seen worse unfortunately in playoffs).

I'm also curious as to what you mean by "OUR INDIANETTES WERE CLOTHS, OUR BAND HAS TASTE" Personally, I felt both bands were good, and don't understand the Indianettes' cloths comment.

The one thing I'll agree with you is that Brenham had to be scared in regard to the final minute - what went down is nearly what went down in Waller two weeks prior. That does show you study opponent's games well (if this is the case, I don't know how the coaches scout on other teams, nor do I care to). The only difference was that Brenham didn't psyche themselves out and then held on to win.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Starfire, thanks for your observations. Although I find the players comments in that article silly, any direspect or smacktalk posted by PNG fans, and others posing as PNG fans, was on another message board. I agree that it's unfair in most cases to categorize entire cities/schools/teams/fans. We should all keep in mind that one person's opinion or comments should not be used to paint the entire canvas. And immature or unsportsmanlike actions on the field by a few players are not always indicative of the whole either. (Even though La Marque in 1999 and Galveston Ball in 1976 might come close). That goes both ways. I can't tell you how many times I've read or heard teams or communities labeled based on a reaction to an individual comment on the web.

Congrats to Brenham on the win.

Starfire

IndianFan said:
(Even though La Marque in 1999 and Galveston Ball in 1976 might come close)

Sadly, this was true in George West - (I am from Sealy originally). Our volleyball team played them in the regional semis, taking it to three, but we won the last game after being down 7-12 to win 15-13. Their volleyball team - mostly seniors that year - were of course crushed, but the totally wished us the best and congratulated us. Totally classy - and honestly, though we won silver at state, the only time I truly cried was after that game because not only was it a tough win, but I felt sad for their girls (and so wished that Bellville had been in their region - I honestly think it'd been a Sealy - George West championship match ;) ).

Unfortunately, their football team was totally tactless - their coach, who won a flip-off, intentionally chose a crappy (and muddy due to rain) field in order to try and give their team an advantage. They also played dirty - lots of illegal things, including running a hand under another player's face and scratching it. Sadly there too - the Sealy player was thrown out because he shoved the GW player who did that to him. After Sealy won that season, George West decided to protest to UIL about the game, making several comments that were questionable. Sealy countered - theirs WITH video proof... but UIL decided to give both probation for a year.

What's saddest is that some fans painted that whole school in a poor light, when the girls volleyball team there was totally gracious and classy. I'd hate to see it happen to someone else - including a UIL probation.

badndn

500+ Posts
Starfire, I think the lack of cloting comment was in reference to a few of the teams we played this year who's drill teams wore next to nothing and danced like it was raining (if you know what I mean). Couldn't have been the Cub drill team, since they were wearing long pants and shirts!

squaw

1,000+ Posts
We've had our season tickets since 1956 and seen most all of our games and I honestly can say that most Indian players and fans are very respectful to the other team and have tons of good sportsmanship and class. (with the only exception being last year at one game--others on here know what I am referring to). Brenham deserved the win because they were better than us ON THAT ONE NIGHT! Like you said earlier, every team has a night off every now and then. The Indians had a great season and we're very proud of them. Also, our JV was undefeated also this season, so I feel sure we'll meet again someday. So, lets all just go in peace until next time!

PNGROW4650YRDLN

100+ Posts
Starfire said:
PNGROW4650YRDLN said:
My mother always told me that actions speak louder than words. The arrogance of the Brenham Cubs was evident on the field before the game, during the game, when a PNG player was down on the field, after the game and as well as in the newspaper article. As for me, I would rather have an humble loser on my team than an arrogant winner anyday. Enough said.

I was near the sidelines, and wanted to say this - even I didn't see the player was hurt and when I did, I tried to get the band to stop. They didn't see that the player was down, and had NO signal from anyone that there was no play going on.

Please note, there were NO PNG players kneeling down to show their player was hurt, whereas Brenham players as soon as they could quickly took a knee. This can be seen (at least I hope - I haven't been able to view it) in the video.

Brenham has always quickly stopped their band from playing if a player is hurt - regardless of team. Had they known, they'd done that quickly. Quite frankly, the whole side was embarrassed that it happened, and if it isn't clear here, I will say that I'm sorry that I couldn't get them to stop though I did try.

But, I do take a bit of offense reading the two comments in red, because they're ironic.

When I say I'm a fan of Brenham, I'm also very observant of both teams - both acted very cocky and arrogant, and that includes the fans. Why shouldn't they? - all sides are proud of their team's accomplishments and have a right to brag.

I found the sing-song of Brenham when they thought they had the win easily with a minute left on the clock and the events that lead to the double personal fouls on PNG - and the booing of the fans that ensued - to be totally tactless. That's not what football - or fandom - should be, particularly high school football.

We're passionate for our teams yes, (why else would NBC do a series on Texas HS football?) but it is quite ironic when both sides of the equation call each other tactless yet both really were at times this game.

Now, all this said, I do truly wish you guys the best next season. You do have a lot of reason to go out there and run down Brenham - they are the only team that beat you this year. But calling a whole team tactless due to a reference to comments on a messageboard and not PNG's players doesn't help things out - I have even seen it with others schools make them play worse the next year.
Not disputing what you said about you trying to get the band to stop, etc. However, as I recall, while the PNG player was on the field, there was a lot of noise going on initially. Then it stopped for a period of time. Then while the player was still on the ground and being attended to, the Brenham Cheerleaders started cheering again. Just saying.

Due to the intensity of the game one would have to wonder what would be posted on the Cub message board and if the INDIAN NATION fans would go on their messageboard and smack talk as was the case on our message board. As for the smack talk of some of the fans on other message boards, we don't have control over the whole INDIAN NATION. Same as you don't have control over Cub fans.

I personally gave credit to the Brenham team prior to the game in that I am familiar with the Cubs strong athletic program and its success. I felt all along that the game would be close and would be intense in the 4th quarter no matter who was ahead at that time. Brenham won and we lost, but there will be another day and we will meet again. I will cheer just as strongly for the INDIANS and you will cheer just as for the Cubs. Enough said.

Starfire

PNGROW4650YRDLN said:
Not disputing what you said about you trying to get the band to stop, etc. However, as I recall, while the PNG player was on the field, there was a lot of noise going on initially. Then it stopped for a period of time. Then while the player was still on the ground and being attended to, the Brenham Cheerleaders started cheering again. Just saying.

I am going to be blunt - it also didn't help that there were again no PNG players kneeling down for their player. In fact, Brenham was kneeling before I saw a single player on PNG's side kneel. To most of us (and no, not just Brenham), when no player kneels down on the field to show respect for the downed player, then people DON'T know there's a downed player. And also, where he fell affected him even being seen by the fans on Brenham's side. Even I didn't know someone was hurt until I saw the coaches/trainers come to him, because my view was obscured.

Additionally, the cheerleaders on Brenham's side didn't see what happened - and again stopped when they finally heard that a player was down. Additionally, if they don't see any side kneeling down for a player, then they think the game is going on. I'm just saying.

Due to the intensity of the game one would have to wonder what would be posted on the Cub message board and if the INDIAN NATION fans would go on their messageboard and smack talk as was the case on our message board. As for the smack talk of some of the fans on other message boards, we don't have control over the whole INDIAN NATION. Same as you don't have control over Cub fans.

Reading your boards, there was maybe one or two people who talked smack back at your team. Those two - as is just Ty on the football team, DO NOT represent the entire Brenham community. Would you like YOUR whole community to be painted in the same light because of one person's comments?

And honestly? - given how many fans were on the side for Brenham, there might not have been much going on as far as community discussion. There also were many at San Marcos for the State Volleyball tourney - deciding to just make it a three day event though the girls played Thursday and Saturday.

Additionally, this is a pet peeve of mine - please refrain from saying "As for the smack talk of some of the fans on other message boards, we don't have control over the whole INDIAN NATION." There was in fact smack talk on this board before the game, and would be happy to provide links. But again, as you said, it doesn't (nor do I assume) it reflects the entire Indian Nation.

I personally gave credit to the Brenham team prior to the game in that I am familiar with the Cubs strong athletic program and its success. I felt all along that the game would be close and would be intense in the 4th quarter no matter who was ahead at that time. Brenham won and we lost, but there will be another day and we will meet again. I will cheer just as strongly for the INDIANS and you will cheer just as for the Cubs. Enough said.

Totally expect it - if that didn't happen, you wouldn't be a rabid fan. There's no denying that on this board.

bandkid

Staff member
Is this argument still going on?

There are going to be classy fans and less than classy fans on both sides. Personally, I think some of the posts made by PN-G fans on the SETXSports board are a little over the top, but that appears to be the nature of that board and I have yet to see our fans engage in anything like a few Friendswood Mustang, Barbers Hill Eagle, Memorial Titan, and Sterling Ranger fans (just to name a few) have. On a larger scale, Brenham might be just as bad as anything we can shell out but we can't really make that inference because they don't appear to have a messageboard. Let's just let it be and wish both teams the best of luck until they meet again (which very well may be next year).

Starfire said:
Additionally, this is a pet peeve of mine - please refrain from saying "As for the smack talk of some of the fans on other message boards, we don't have control over the whole INDIAN NATION." There was in fact smack talk on this board before the game, and would be happy to provide links. But again, as you said, it doesn't (nor do I assume) it reflects the entire Indian Nation.

To make one point:

Starfire, no offense, but if you think that what you saw on this site was "smack talk," you need to take a look at SETXSports. PN-G fans are generally the tame ones of the lot.

Starfire

Bandkid, not a problem - for the most part here, I've seen polite fans, and wish all fans were like that. I just didn't like the presumption there wasn't any done here. ;)

And - I wanted to be clear as far as the PNG's player's injury as far as what happened on Brenham's side. The school's players are rarely disrespectful, and the few times I've seen a player do such, they usually ended up eating crow (i.e. the last minute of the game between us. ;) ).

That said, one HUGE thing I'd suggest to your coach is that he makes sure his players take a knee when a player - either side - is hurt. That way, schools on both sides know to be respectful to said player and something like this doesn't happen again. Trust me - I hate that people didn't know on either side about your hurt player (at least it appeared that way to me).

And, if they aren't respectful then, PLEASE by all means razz them to high heaven and hit them where it hurts. Example, my college years proved that when our rival decided to be a mule and yell at downed home team players "Get them off the field" without noting said player needed to be checked out thoroughly. Might explain why my college went on to win the annual trophy that year. ;)

Brenham doesn't have a messageboard I know of, but usually the few comments I read from town are on it's paper's site.

All this said, I do wish you and your teams the best for the rest of they year. If your other sports are as strong as your football team is, you should make it to state in a few of them. :D

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores