Season in review.

SethNDN

At the beginning of this season the two main football magazines in this area picked PNG to finish third or fourth. Even some on this message board said that this might be a rebuild year. Three starters went out due to injuries and moving. There was uncertainties at the QB and RB positions.
PNG went on to a 9-1 record with wins over Silsbee, Central, Vidor, and Nederland. The only loss was a shootout with the (co-district champions) PAM Titans. Roschon Johnson played at District MVP level and Logan Lejune should receive defensive MVP consideration.
Heading into the playoffs PNG was missing Texas A&M commit Keyneal McZeal, 900 yard rusher Preston Hughes, and eventually a solid safety/ backup QB in Austin Bost. The rest of the team stepped up. Dylan McGough had at 4 TDs in the playoffs. Gavin Deslatte came off the JV or Freshman team and had a 100 yard rushing night against FB Willowridge. Roschon Johnson took the team on his back and did everything in his power win. The defense made key stops vs Willowridge and Barbers Hill. The whole team stepped up.
Unfortunately PNG came up against an offense that they could not stop. They ended the season with a loss to state ranked College Station at 11-2. They made some mistakes. Still, I believe we should all be extremely proud of this INDIANS team and very excited for the future.
*****GOD BLESS THE PORT NECHES GROVES INDIANS****"

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
I love Coach Faircloth, but he's got to put more emphasis on the defensive side of the ball and get back to the fundamentals of tackling. We try to tackle too many times with our hands. The DB's need serious development. These guys played hard, but can't be afraid of contact. We cannot keep playing the DB's 15 yards off the line. CS defensive game plan was a lot better than ours, crowd the line and make the QB beat you with his arm.

bark

1,000+ Posts
justafan said:
I love Coach Faircloth, but he's got to put more emphasis on the defensive side of the ball and get back to the fundamentals of tackling. We try to tackle too many times with our hands. The DB's need serious development. These guys played hard, but can't be afraid of contact. We cannot keep playing the DB's 15 yards off the line. CS defensive game plan was a lot better than ours, crowd the line and make the QB beat you with his arm.
Really good season. We enjoyed listing to them week after week
What history making was BF referring to in the Enterprise?
They did so much more than any would think.
PANews article putting Fairclothe close to Ethridge and Burnet is getting to be more of a reality still got to put Ford and Mccullom in there. # 4/5 on the all time PNG list damn good!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Faircloth is doing a lot with what he has.

It's not fair to compare to Ethridge who had outstanding assistants on staff that made a huge difference (Greg Davis, Bruce Bush, Butch Troy, etc), and a group of athletes that won everything junior high through senior year.).

The next two years should be incredible.

SethNDN

justafan said:
What's the over/under on how many jobs Faircloth applies for this offseason?
I don't see many coaches walking away from 2 morr years with a player like Roschon Johnson.

Tomahawk4

This team dug deep and went 3 rounds deep because of their heart, hard work and talent. The best thing I can say about BF is that he has some good solid assistant coaches who make him look good. I think we all know that if we had lost to Big Ned, he would be gone. He was lucky and had talent, amazing seniors and players that were willing to step up and play where they were needed. You can't have that many starters out, pull up your second string and go three rounds deep unless you have a deep talent pool. Never saw adjustments made, especially in the secondary, where we were weak all season. BF has a solid Defensive Line and those boys have worked their tails off against big size all season long with very little recognition by him. He throws them some crumbs every now and then, but that's about it. When you have a DB say that one of the DL is "just a stumbling block for him to get over to make a play" and the coaches let that slide, you know the defensive line had no respect. Defense wins games and if the rest of the defense isn't as solid as your front, you are going to get burned in the secondary. A group of us watched defensive linemen try to chase down receivers and backs Friday night, coming from the opposite side of the field, because of our weak zone and poor tackling.
Faircloth won't leave. He's going to ride Johnson and that strong upcoming Freshman group as long as he can or until Nederland beats us again and the board gets rid of him. He will apply for jobs, just to scare his followers, but he will stay here, kiss the right butts and ride the upcoming talent as long as he can.
But, looking forward, and more importantly, how many Seniors are we losing?

bark

1,000+ Posts
If that happened with a Lb saying that about an DL. Thats BS!

Our future looks good but a long way off from a State Championship.

Saw where RJ was just tweeted as MVP. Like 4k yards and 56/57 TDs.

That's all great BUT ONE gage of success. Championships. Outright Dc or State. Like WOS, Newton to name a few locals are doing.

Still congratulations PNG

twrpng

100+ Posts
If you have a good Defense then your Offense will automatically be better it's just the way it works but if your trying to win a state championship by offense alone you better be able to score 60 points a game just saying . We will be a good team next year but a great team is all about Defense GO INDIANS and I do have a dog is this hunt !!!

Tomahawk4

Bark,
The comment was made and unfortunately, it is true. Didn't believe it either and started asking some dads, varsity and jv, if it was true. Everyone said the comment was made. If that many on the team, including JV, knew it, then you know the coaches knew about it.
I've heard stories of some other issues off of the field that BF picks and chooses what he will and won't address. Haven't verified them since I don't know parents well enough to ask.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The defensive line was a strong point of the defense.

And the defensive line also serves a purpose of keeping blockers off of the linebackers. If that comment is true it indicates a lack of fundamental understanding of the game.

And there were NO players on that defense, linebackers included, that were such standouts that they didn't need that line in front of them. Team defense wins games.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
PNG Proud said:
justafan said:

It's sounding like you'd like to see him leave.

Not at all!! I hope he stays!! He's applied for other jobs almost every year since he's been here.

Only thing I want changed is more emphasis on defense and philosophy change on that side of the ball.

hookem14

100+ Posts
justafan said:
PNG Proud said:
justafan said:

Not at all!! I hope he stays!! He's applied for other jobs almost every year since he's been here.

Only thing I want changed is more emphasis on defense and philosophy change on that side of the ball.
[/quot
We had the number one ranked defense in the district the last two years and I believe we finished number two this year. Out of curiosity, what change are you looking for?

hookem14

100+ Posts
justafan said:
PNG Proud said:
justafan said:

We had the number one ranked defense in the district the last two years and I believe we finished number two this year. Out of curiosity, what change are you looking for?

hookem14

100+ Posts
BF average PPG defenses the last four years (22.4) PPG
His predecessors average PPG defenses over his last four years (22.5) PPG

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores