Senior Bowl - Roschon

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts

2023 NFL Draft sleepers: Texas RB Roschon Johnson has feature-back skills​

February 2, 2023 12:17 pm ET​

Texas running back Bijan Robinson might be the best non-quarterback skill position player in the 2023 NFL draft class. Robinson’s combination of size, speed, movement skills, power, and versatility will make him a coveted first-round prospect when the draft rolls around, “running backs don’t matter” talk aside.
The only reason we haven’t heard more from Texas running back Roschon Johnson is that the guy above him in the Longhorns’ depth chart is an alien. But that should not in any way minimize what Johnson has been able to do to college defenses, and his potential for success at the NFL level.

In four seasons with Texas, Johnson totaled 2,182 rushing yards, a 5.6 yards per carry average, and 23 touchdowns on 392 carries. The high-school All-American quarterback from Port Arthur, Texas (the birthplace of Jimmy Johnson and Janis Joplin), who switched positions at Texas after injuries forced that hand, also caught 56 passes for 420 yards and three touchdowns in his collegiate career.

The plan was for Johnson to get down to the Senior Bowl this week and benefit from the spotlight on him as it hadn’t been before. Sadly, he suffered an injury early in the week that will prevent him from further participation, but he managed to leave an impression in the few reps he had.

I would not be surprised if Johnson finds himself with an NFL team in the second day of the draft, because the skills pop right off the tape.

While he’s more than capable of running with power (as you’d expect from a back with a six-foot-2, 223-pound frame, Johnson can also turn on the jets both at the second and third levels, and when it’s time to bounce something outside. His longest run of the 2022 season, this 52-yard touchdown against Oklahoma State, was more about Johnson’s ability to just beat everyone to the goal line.

And just because he’s big, don’t assume that Johnson was forcing all of those missed tackles by running people over. On this 32-yard run against UTSA, Johnson’s quickness and elusiveness in short spaces were the featured skills.

Of course, when it is time to just go Beast Mode on a defense, Johnson has no problem doing that. He’s an aggressive, smart runner with outstanding second-reaction recovery and contact balance. You don’t have to tell Oklahoma’s defense about it — they’ve seen it up close.

Johnson has been great in relative anonymity for a long time, and it’s unfortunate that he’ll miss most of his star turn in Mobile. But it’s my guess that NFL teams are already more than aware of what he can bring at the next level.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Dude is going to have NFL coaches saying where did this guy come from? Answer should be from being hidden in the shadows of UT’s failures to utilize talent. They were too focused on Bijan Robinson’s success. All the scouts talking about how slow RJ is are insane. No he does not cut on a dime but he has a great burst and 22.6MPH top end is far from slow. As a comparison, Tyreek Hill from the Chiefs was timed at 21.91 mph in 2021.

100%
I’m less of a UT fan because of how they handled him

90NDN

500+ Posts
Roschon officially got a combine invite on Feb 8th. I'm hoping his hand is healed where he can do drills etc, not just run and vertical.

VegasNDN

Waited a bit to respond to all the critics. I'm a donor and season ticket holder at Texas. I can assure you that Roschon was not underutilized while on the 40 acres; he played a ton the entire time. Maybe not at RB every snap, but he's on all special teams plays. Let's also not forget that he's wanted to play at Texas since he was a child so transferring was never part of the plan, even though he would have been a featured back at 30 different schools.

From what I understand, every NFL GM has him on their radar, ranging from round 3 to UFA. He's going to play on Sundays and he's going to be a difference maker. He's a product of the greatest high school in the country and has a degree from The University of Texas. Let's focus on supporting his journey. Hook 'Em!!

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Waited a bit to respond to all the critics. I'm a donor and season ticket holder at Texas. I can assure you that Roschon was not underutilized while on the 40 acres; he played a ton the entire time. Maybe not at RB every snap, but he's on all special teams plays. Let's also not forget that he's wanted to play at Texas since he was a child so transferring was never part of the plan, even though he would have been a featured back at 30 different schools.

From what I understand, every NFL GM has him on their radar, ranging from round 3 to UFA. He's going to play on Sundays and he's going to be a difference maker. He's a product of the greatest high school in the country and has a degree from The University of Texas. Let's focus on supporting his journey. Hook 'Em!!
He was underutilized because he was the best QB on the team except for his freshman year
They barely played him at RB even after his sacrifice to move to the position even with over 5.5 yards per carry
We can agree to disagree on this one
They should have moved him back to QB after Ehlinger left
Thompson showed how loyal and team minded he was.
In my opinion there are “parrots” who say
He needs to work on his mechanics as they talk about how great that first round draft pick of the Jaguars Blake Bortles worst delivery ever Roschon had great mechanics even as a freshman.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
50+ year fan of The University of Texas football here. I’ve seen the ups and the downs and everything in between. UT has failed to develop and utilize talent for many more years than Roschon Johnson’s time in Austin.

VegasNDN

Have any of you asked him why he CHOSE to stay in the RB room after his freshman year? He had the opportunity to go back to the QB room but chose to stay a RB and sellout to that position. I've never spoken with him about his life choices, but know enough folks who have. Kids come in and switch positions all the time.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Most people think we’re just “Homers”
(Hometown guys who only root for other homers and are blind to everyone else)
Secondly they think we’re also unaware of the mystical jump from HS to college

But I myself being in the lower group in knowledge on this forum still go to HS games in Houston all over and see their D1 and NFL talent

Yes, Roschon was head and shoulders above the other players (which you also saw in opponents like Achane and Sweat just to name a couple of PNG foes who will probably be NFL draft picks) you could just see it. And that’s not through purple rose colored glasses.
But he was also the best player I’ve ever seen at not making “bone head” mistakes
Which is intensified usually when you’re “the guy” (bonehead mistakes increase the more things depend on you)
I’ll still root for UT as always but just ~less~

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Certainly no iintention to promote bad feelings regarding support of UT or any other university that PNG alumni may have attended or support. My comments come from decades of observing results. I was in the stands watching the 1969 national championship UT team play. Not many can say that.

My point has been out of x offensive snaps over 4 seasons, Roschon Johnson was underutilized in both number of downs and play selection. Especially in his freshman and sophomore seasons with Ingram playing ahead of him.

No question that RJ left his mark on the university. His character outshining his stats. But even with reduced touches, he finished as the #18 all-time at UT in rushing yardage gained.

But RJ is a player that needs to be in the game and getting reps. With more plays, more experience and creative utilization of his passing ability, he could have contributed more and substantially greater statistics. Nothing controversial about that opinion. And in the end, his YPC was little less than Robinson who received the accolades, bulk of the carries and outrageous NIL money for 2 1/2 seasons.

The upside now is RJ has a great degree from the university he wanted to attend, is a Longhorn legend. and has less mileage on his legs which appeals to the NFL teams.

90NDN

500+ Posts
Combine starts on Feb 28th. Anyone heard how his hand is healing and if he will be able to participate in drills at all?

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Reminds me of my dad talking about “hometown boy (TXK)”
How the Texas High QB (name on the tip of my tongue) NORWOOD was so much better than James Street and how he believes if Norwood had been the starter they would have beat (Arkansas?” That year. Lol. Yes UT (IMO) has “legacyITIS” maybe Roschon’s future offspring will get a starting position. Lol. Just ask the backup to Colt McCoy’s brother (Cade?)

VegasNDN

Certainly no iintention to promote bad feelings regarding support of UT or any other university that PNG alumni may have attended or support. My comments come from decades of observing results. I was in the stands watching the 1969 national championship UT team play. Not many can say that.

My point has been out of x offensive snaps over 4 seasons, Roschon Johnson was underutilized in both number of downs and play selection. Especially in his freshman and sophomore seasons with Ingram playing ahead of him.

No question that RJ left his mark on the university. His character outshining his stats. But even with reduced touches, he finished as the #18 all-time at UT in rushing yardage gained.

But RJ is a player that needs to be in the game and getting reps. With more plays, more experience and creative utilization of his passing ability, he could have contributed more and substantially greater statistics. Nothing controversial about that opinion. And in the end, his YPC was little less than Robinson who received the accolades, bulk of the carries and outrageous NIL money for 2 1/2 seasons.

The upside now is RJ has a great degree from the university he wanted to attend, is a Longhorn legend. and has less mileage on his legs which appeals to the NFL teams.
I can assure you I'm not sensitive to a good debate. My frustration with how RJ was utilized mirrors yours. If you were at a home game when he came in at QB, you would have heard the crowd go crazy as the entire stadium knew what he is capable of. I'm excited for his future, but even more for the younger Indians. The UT coaches need to continue recruiting in the 409, especially PNG. RJ is a testament to the quality of young men this community is raising that deserve a shot at D1 schools #keepthemintexas

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Part of my deal was
He’s bar none my favorite player at any level to ever play football (I love football more than I like players) but he made people stand up even with 10 defensive players in front of him
He had a body language that when he knew he was going to end up in the end zone it was almost a done deal
It’s like he saw a path before it showed up
Troy Aikman had that- you knew when he let go of the ball whether the receiver was open deep.

Then add to his academic and social standing in the community
As well as meeting most of his family.

THEN to find out he was going to my favorite college team.
Man , I was like a kid on Christmas Eve

Then Whaa whaa whaa whaaaaaaaaah (with a muted trombone)
Nopeville lol.

And yes I expect an NFL team to create packages for him to play WILDCAT QB
Or else I’ll post on ~their~ forum that he’s being underutilized lol.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Part of my deal was
He’s bar none my favorite player at any level to ever play football (I love football more than I like players) but he made people stand up even with 10 defensive players in front of him
He had a body language that when he knew he was going to end up in the end zone it was almost a done deal
It’s like he saw a path before it showed up
Troy Aikman had that- you knew when he let go of the ball whether the receiver was open deep.

Then add to his academic and social standing in the community
As well as meeting most of his family.

THEN to find out he was going to my favorite college team.
Man , I was like a kid on Christmas Eve

Then Whaa whaa whaa whaaaaaaaaah (with a muted trombone)
Nopeville lol.

And yes I expect an NFL team to create packages for him to play WILDCAT QB
Or else I’ll post on ~their~ forum that he’s being underutilized lol.
I’m sure this is close to the way a lot of us feel. Definitely true for me. As a horns fan for 50+ years, it was not only that he did not get quite as much of an opportunity as he deserved at UT, it was also that UT lost the opportunity to be so much better if they had just utilized his talents a bit better. I am not just talking about the percentage of carries he got relative to Robinson or Ingram (although he definitely should have gotten a much higher percentage relative to Ingram). And sure, they let him play special teams. However, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you have a converted QB playing RB, much less one that was an outstanding passer, this would be an unbelievably good weapon for trick plays such as a HB pass or passes out of the Wildcat formation. This was even more true after he had firmly established himself as an effective RB in general and out of the Wildcat formation in particular. The fact that they had to respect his running ability made these types plays a clear no-brainer. However, during his entire career at UT, with two different coaching staffs, this particular skill was rarely, if EVER, utilized (I think I recall reading about ONE instance where a passing play had been called during a Wildcat play but he elected to run because the receiver was not open). To add insult to injury, there were several times during his career at UT when similar plays were called using someone OTHER than RJ (e.g., a WR pass). So yes, his abilities were not completely neglected or overlooked at UT by any means, but they were also not utilized to the degree that they should have been to the detriment of both RJ and the UT football program. Hopefully they will be at the next level.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores