Sugar Coating

ndn78

100+ Posts
As some one who played and and has watched most every sport over the last 35 years why do people get upset when other fans critic players and coaches? Some say it's only a game and life lesson's they learn are more important, I think they are one in the same. The reason you play is to win, if you do not that is fine as long as you gave your all.

Football as we all know is the most physical and mental game in high school sports. In my lowly opinion we are getting out hustled on defense. You say we are in every game, we have about 4 players carrying the other 7. I have a relative on D and I have told him he plays scared, you dont play football scared. Getting beat by a better athlete is part of it, being scared to make a hit and wrap up is inexcusable.

At the Texas City game I heard a Livingston Coach who was scouting say "The coaches have no confidence in the secondary and the secondary other than #6 is scared to hit". When we went for 2 points in Texas City and they intercepted a 260 lb. lineman had to make the tackle 70 yards down field....thats pretty sad.

On numerous threads people have commented on the "shoulder bump tackle approach", that is sad. Numerous people have commented on why we play 10 -15 yards off the ball, sad. Numerous people have commented on the kick off poach kick, sad. All of these things whether you want to admit it or not show lack of confidence by our coaches in our kids and scouts pick up on this.

I have been to all but 1 JV game and their defense plays way harder as a team, move them up. Go ahead and bash me for expecting to much out of high school kids. This is football and if your not getting the job done someone else deserves a chance. I have and always will continue to support PNG in attendance and financially but it's time for players to step up, our offense is to good. Go PNG!

akifan94

500+ Posts
ndn78 said:
As some one who played and and has watched most every sport over the last 35 years why do people get upset when other fans critic players and coaches? Some say it's only a game and life lesson's they learn are more important, I think they are one in the same. The reason you play is to win, if you do not that is fine as long as you gave your all.

Football as we all know is the most physical and mental game in high school sports. In my lowly opinion we are getting out hustled on defense. You say we are in every game, we have about 4 players carrying the other 7. I have a relative on D and I have told him he plays scared, you dont play football scared. Getting beat by a better athlete is part of it, being scared to make a hit and wrap up is inexcusable.

At the Texas City game I heard a Livingston Coach who was scouting say "The coaches have no confidence in the secondary and the secondary other than #6 is scared to hit". When we went for 2 points in Texas City and they intercepted a 260 lb. lineman had to make the tackle 70 yards down field....thats pretty sad.

On numerous threads people have commented on the "shoulder bump tackle approach", that is sad. Numerous people have commented on why we play 10 -15 yards off the ball, sad. Numerous people have commented on the kick off poach kick, sad. All of these things whether you want to admit it or not show lack of confidence by our coaches in our kids and scouts pick up on this.

I have been to all but 1 JV game and their defense plays way harder as a team, move them up. Go ahead and bash me for expecting to much out of high school kids. This is football and if your not getting the job done someone else deserves a chance. I have and always will continue to support PNG in attendance and financially but it's time for players to step up, our offense is to good. Go PNG!

Please refrain from making posts that make sense please. Thank You.

;) Good post. If someone is not getting it done they will never learn to if they are allowed to continue to execute poorly with no repercussions. Time to find who wants to be on the field even if it means bringing up a JV member.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
I'm not gonna bash you because one of our starting defensive linemen told me basically the same thing. He didn't necessarily "say" some of them were scared to hit, but it kinda sounded like that from what he said. However, I hear changes are being made and some JV players may be moved up, so I'm confident we will see a difference Fri night!!

pngfan66

500+ Posts
How dare you speak the truth ! don't you know you might upset some of the posters on this site ! GEEEEEEEE WIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ LOL Great post ! appreciate someone else pointing out things from another perspective ! You may be absolutely right. Maybe being afraid to hit is one reason the linebackers were not attacking during the Nederland game. I guess its also obvious when other teams coaches make comments on it as well. Hopefully something will change. I didn't see any change today when I stopped by to watch practice. Referring to the D. I've heard of JV players commenting that they want to go full speed against the Varsity in practice and the coaches don't allow them too. I think it would help out the varsity. Besides the few JV players they brought up there are several more who would be very capable if given the chance. Some are Sophmores as well.

attakapandn

100+ Posts
great post!

intimidation is a tool that our D does not use! The other team has no fear of our D, other teams fear our Offense, due to our WB, QB, OL and running game. Got to hit the receivers when then catch the ball or miss it, just do not overdo it to get a 15 yd penalty.

I agree if the current players are not getting it done, bring up someone, , sometimes knowing that You are expendable make you perform better or harder!

PNGROW4650YRDLN

100+ Posts
Nothing wrong with a little friendly competition. We as adults know if you can't get the job done at work, they will find somebody who can. Really hate to see some of the guys be disappointed, but that is how life is. Learning life's tough lesson now may save them it the future out in the work place. I know a young person who is entering the professional work place and having a difficult time finding out what a cut throat world it is. Nobody paves the way for you. You have to pave it yourself.

For any players that read this thread: 1st. string, 2nd. string or 3rd. string - believe in yourself and do your best - that is all anyone expects of you. I N D I A N S SCALP'EM !

shovelhead

100+ Posts
ndn78 said:

I hate to say anything negative or criticize the kids or coaches, but I dont think anything we've discussed hasn't been covered in practice in an MUCH louder abrupt style. I think we all of us have faith in our coaches. They are trying to get the most out of these kids. I dont think pointing out poor tackling on this board has any affect. The coaches pour over the game film and know what did or didnt happen every play. We are all just fans talking here. I promise you the kids are getting a bigger earful in practice that what they may read here. I dont think that you or me as a fan expect any more out of these kids than the coaches or their own teammates.
Oh, and as far as Lunceford running down the interception was my highlight of the game. How many teams have a OL that can do that! I agree, that it shouldn't have happened, but heads up play and great atheleticism from #77!

purplewarrior

Chief Touch The Clouds
ndn78 said:

a lack of discipline quickly siphons away extra talent, that's why it's frequently the most disciplined rather than the most gifted rise to the top. Unknown

pngmom

I HAVE SAT BY ALL SEASON AND READ EVERYONES POST,GOT MAD BUT KEPT IT TO MY SELF. BUT WHEN I READ THIS I HAD TO SAY MY PIECE. I HAVE A SON THAT PLAYS ON VARSITY ON DEFENSE. WELL I GUESS YOU COULD SAY PLAY ....HE'S NOT ALLOWEED TO. HIM AND SEVERAL OTHER SENIORS PRACTICE THEIR HEARTS OUT MON-THURS BUT ARE NEVER ALLOWEED TO PLAY ON FRIDAY NIGHT UNLESS WERE WINNING BY ALOT, WHICH HAS ONLY BEEN ONCE THIS YEAR. ONE CERTAIN COACH ALWAYS PROMISES HIM HE WILL GET TO PLAY BUT AFTER THE GAME TELLS HIM HE COULDN'T PUT HIM IN OR HE MIGHT LOSE HIS JOB FOR GOING AGAINST THE COACH OVER HIM. MANY OF THE "GOLDEN BOYS" ONLY HALF-ASS PRACTICE BUT THATS OK AFTER ALL THEY ARE THE "GOLDEN BOYS." BUT OBVIOUSLY THE GOLDEN BOYS AREN'T GETTING THE JOB DONE. MY SON HAS PRACTICED HIS HEART OUT TO THE POINT HE BROKE HIS ARM. WAS ONLY OUT 2 WEEKS AND DOCTOR SAID HE COULD PLAY.. HE WENT BACK TO PRACTICING SO MAYBE HE WOULD GET A CHANCE TO PLAY. THE PAPER HE RECEIVED AFTER THE SCRIMMAGE AGAINST MEMORIAL THAT CRITICS EACH PLAYERS PLAYS WERE EXCELLENT...ALL 4 PLAYS HE GOT TO PLAY. ONE PLAY STATED TBL. HES NOT TALL BUT BODY BUILDS AND RUNS EVERYDAY. HE'S VERY STRONG AND QUICK. HE CAN MAKE IT THRU THE LINE AND GET TO THE QB. BUT THATS OBVIOUSLY NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR OUR ALMIGHTY COACHES. WHY HAVEN'T THESE SENIOR BOYS THAT HAVEN'T BEEN ALLOWEED TO PLAY GIVEN A CHANCE. THEY COULDN'T DO ANY WORSE THAN WHAT WE HAVE....A LOSS IS A LOSS 1 POINT OR 40. WHY WOULD YOU MOVE UP JV PLAYERS INSTEAD OF WORKING WITH THE BOYS YOU HAVE THAT HAVE GIVEN THEIR ALL, ALL SUMMER, TWOADAYS AT 5AM PRACTICING ON LABOR DAY. I READ ON 1 POST HOW COACH FAIRCLOTH MAKES SURE EVERYONE GETS TO PLAY. WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!! IF MY SON WASN'T CAPABLE WOULD BE ONE THING BUT THESE COACHES PICK THEIR GOLDEN BOYS AND EVERYONE ELSE GETS LEFT OUT. WELL COACHES ANYTIME YOU GET PNG FANS THAT ARE VOICING THEIR DISPLEASURE WITH THE TEAM THATS SAYING SOMETHING BECAUSE PNG FANS ARE THE MOST LOYAL FANS THERE ARE. I AM VERY HURT AND ANGRY AT THIS NEW REGIME OF COACHES WE HAVE. I BELIEVE WE NEEDED A CHANGE, BUT NOT THIS CHANGE. I HAVE WANTED TO GO AND TALK TO MY SONS COACHES BUT HE SAID "NO MOM" THAT WOULD MESS UP ANY CHANCE I HAVE TO PLAY. THAT IS PITIFUL THAT A GOOD HARD WORKING KID HAS TO ENDURE THIS. ALL I HAVE HEARD IS HOW GREAT THESE COACHES ARE WITH THE BOYS BUT I CAN TELL YOU THAT IS NOT ALL TRUE. ONLY THEIR SELECT FEW. THEY DON'T GIVE THE TIME OF DAY TO THE OTHERS. WELL THE SELECT FEW AREN'T DOING IT. GIVE THE OTHER SENIORS A CHANCE. THE ONES THAT PRACTICE THEIR HEARTS OUT AND JUST WANT A CHANCE TO PROVE THEY COUNT. THERE IS SO MUCH BEHIND THE SCENES THE PEOPLE DON'T SEE OR HEAR. BELIEVE ME YOU MAY NOT HAVE THE SAME OPINION OF THE COACHING STAFF(NOT ALL COACHES ARE INCLUDED IN THIS). MY SON SAYS IF THEY LET THESE JV PLAYERS PLAY FRIDAY NIGHT HE IS QUITTING FOOTBALL. HE'S PLAYED SINCE 7TH GRADE. THIS IS VERY SAD THAT THESE COACHES HAVE DONE THIS TO A GOOD HARD WORKING KID. BUT I GUESS TO HIM THAT WOULD BE THE LAST STRAW....I GUESS THE LAST SLAP IN THE FACE, YOU COULD SAY. I'M SURE I WILL GET SLAMMED FOR THIS POST BUT THATS OK I FEEL EVERYONE SHOULD HEAR THE TRUTH.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
At a 4A-5A school with 50-60 players on the roster, not everyone gets to play significant time. That has been the case every season since football has existed. And every player's parent that's ever existed feels as you do.

Despite a coaches sincere desire to let everyone play, he's hired to, and expected to win games. The 'golden boys' are, most of the time, the players that have the best chance to succeed.

But as a parent it's always difficult to see your child not reap some glory from their efforts.

bark

1,000+ Posts
As a 2nd team junior in 1975 ( we played 15 games) I think everyone played on something, Kick off, kick off return etc...and in the second half - if we were 21 points ahead - we would get what Worm and I called 4QA which meant Forth Quarter Action. Other than that, you were guaranteed 1 play. It was never said, just done.

indian17

pngmom, I totally understand your frustration but I can tell you there are numerous people that have become before you and never got to step on the field. Being a former player for PNG I have witnessed it myself with MB as the defensive coordinator, many of my best friends never got to play but they were just happy to be apart of the team and to be a PNG Indian.

It also relates to life, I wish I could be the CEO of my company but things happen (life, etc.) and we just have to make the best of it. Sometimes being humble and patient is a good thing you never know when your time will come but if you quit and give up then you may miss your chance. Then later you will be forever regretful of what you may have missed out on.

Basically I am saying to your son don't give up, you do not know what tomorrow holds and your number may be called.

purplefan

It would be sad to see his years of hard work end with leaving the team during the middle of his senior year. Please think long and hard before before taking action, as it could be a decision he will regret in years to come.Do what you have to, but I have regretted leaving my HS football program after my freshman year for more years than I want to admit.

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
Good post indian17. pngmom I will not slam you. I am a parent and I know how much emotion and passion goes into raising children. When Coach Burnett was here, there were a lot of kids that never got to play except for at the end of blowout games. We are blessed that our past coaching staffs and current staff allow all kids who stick with the program to be on varsity their senior year. A lot of big 4A and 5A programs cut kids. We have had a lot of years that we have had 40-plus seniors....there is no way that you can get that many kids in every game. I hope that your son doesn't quit, because he will regret that the rest of his life. Part of the problem is that your son is playing a position that had established varsity players from last season coming back. That is one of those things that is out of his or anyone else's control. From what I have heard, there are not any d-line players being pulled up from JV, so it shouldn't have an impact on his situation. I hope that you encourage him to keep working hard and maybe he will get his opportunity. If not, he will reap the benefits of working hard, being part of a team and finishing what he started. When Coach Faircloth came here he said that his philosohy was that he wanted all the kids in the sub-varsity programs to play every game. That way they would have motivation to keep working hard and if they develop as they get older they will still be in the program, instead of getting discouraged and quitting. I think that he has done that. I doubt that these coaches would intentionally mistreat any player. There were some parents that were upset last year because their boys lost their starting jobs when the new staff came in. The simple fact is that they are putting the players on the field that they have evaluated and determined that give them the best chance to win.

NDN4Life

Scalp Em Indians
ndnsrock44 said:
Good post indian17. pngmom I will not slam you. I am a parent and I know how much emotion and passion goes into raising children. When Coach Burnett was here, there were a lot of kids that never got to play except for at the end of blowout games. We are blessed that our past coaching staffs and current staff allow all kids who stick with the program to be on varsity their senior year. A lot of big 4A and 5A programs cut kids. We have had a lot of years that we have had 40-plus seniors....there is no way that you can get that many kids in every game. I hope that your son doesn't quit, because he will regret that the rest of his life. Part of the problem is that your son is playing a position that had established varsity players from last season coming back. That is one of those things that is out of his or anyone else's control. From what I have heard, there are not any d-line players being pulled up from JV, so it shouldn't have an impact on his situation. I hope that you encourage him to keep working hard and maybe he will get his opportunity. If not, he will reap the benefits of working hard, being part of a team and finishing what he started. When Coach Faircloth came here he said that his philosohy was that he wanted all the kids in the sub-varsity programs to play every game. That way they would have motivation to keep working hard and if they develop as they get older they will still be in the program, instead of getting discouraged and quitting. I think that he has done that. I doubt that these coaches would intentionally mistreat any player. There were some parents that were upset last year because their boys lost their starting jobs when the new staff came in. The simple fact is that they are putting the players on the field that they have evaluated and determined that give them the best chance to win.

I think they might need to do some reevaluating.

pngmom4

500+ Posts
I feel for you PNGMOM. I know exactly how you feel. My son was at the high school during the MB years. He too was on defense. The worst feeling is being told you will start in the game, and then game time gets here, and yet again, you are on the sidelines watching. Yes, that coach who lied to my son back then is still here coaching at PNG. My son said back then, if coach did not tell him he would be starting, then it wouldn't be so bad. However, I can remember the look on his face after each game. How was I to continue to encourage him to continue to play? The last game he was at, I watched as the coach instructed my son to go in on the next play, and the starter waved my son off and said, "I have this". The coach then called my son back and the starter remained in the game. I let my son quit the very next day.

MOM2INDIANS

500+ Posts
PNGMOM...While I dont have a kid that plays football (mine plays soccer and is only 10), I believe there are some really good players sitting the benches...some wont get the chance to prove themselves and scouts will look the other way and scholarships will be missed...so sad....BTW..My husband played for PNG and was a starter on Varsity..long ago...he had it out with MB, I think hes still scared of him, when he patrols the stands my Husband sits a little straighter when he walks by. lol

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores