Sugar Coating

pngmom

If I offened anyone, I am sorry. That wasn't my intension. And I did not spefically name names because I was talking in general. Theses are just my views. I wasn't necessairly referring to just PNG this goes on in alot of high school football programs. Yankeedawg got it right "POLITICS." I am just thankful that my son has so much more going for him than just football. I as a mom just see how hard he has tried and his dissapointment. And as a mom it hurts your heart when you see your kid hurt. But no matter who plays tommrow night I hope we beat the pants off of Lumberton. Good Luck to the team.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Don't mean to trivialize your son's disappointment, but there are probably a couple of dozen seniors every year that don't see much playing time. It doesn't make it any easier to accept, but it's always been like that.

Coaches recognize ability and effort. The most productive play. Otherwise it wouldn't be fair to those players either.

Practice and team drills is where you win notoriety and playing time.

Indian03

100+ Posts
For the record, we did not have any failures this first six weeks on the varsity level. All 63 kids passed every class. This is a testament to the hard work and efforts of the students and their weekly study hall sessions during their athletic period.

NDN NATION

100+ Posts
Indian03 said:
For the record, we did not have any failures this first six weeks on the varsity level. All 63 kids passed every class. This is a testament to the hard work and efforts of the students and their weekly study hall sessions during their athletic period.

That is awesome!!! :rocks: :clap:

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
I'm sure every parent has high hopes of their child getting field time on the football field. Yet, as in life, this is when the harsh reality that life is not always fair comes to light.

Even as an adult, you do your best at your job, put the hours in and sometimes see someone else (who in your opinion may not deserve it) get the promotion. To quote pngmom, "Golden Boys" are everywhere... in politics, at your place of employment and sometimes in high school sports.

I personally feel like this would be an excellent opportunity to take the time to applaud the kids who do put in the hard work and do attend every practice and do train and work hard. Just because you may not receive playing time at each and every game does not diminish the accomplishment and hard work you have put forth in being a TEAM MEMBER of one of the most respected and well coached high school football teams in the state of Texas.

As I was taught as a child... it's not always about the win or 1st place. It's about giving it your all, doing your best, making your family proud and taking someting away from your high school years that will make you an outstanding adult and a productive member of society. I think we sometimes overlook this important lesson and should rise above to encourage our kids and not teach them to blame the system. It is a tough life out here and sometimes the word "fair" does not always work it's way in to every life experience.

bark

1,000+ Posts
ibleedpurple - great post and I am sure that, like every coach and asst. coach before and including BF, have favorites and sometimes the best may not play. That is life. I know it happened with Ethridge, I was told Burnet did the same.

ndn78

100+ Posts
Favoritism happens in all our lives and thats just part of human nature. Does it go on at PNG, sure it does but I truely believe it is less than in the past. I also played in the Ethridge hey day era and it went on then and always will in all walks of life so it's a lesson kids have to learn.

I started this post because I felt some players where either playing scared or just being out played. Like I said I have no problem with getting beat by a better athelete but when you go all the way back to the GP game in the Alamodome we were constantly getting beat on 3rd and long situations and it has continued throughout the season because of poor tackeling. No one on here can honestly say that at one point or another during every game you said either to yourself or out loud "Tackle Somebody".

Go PNG!

squaw

1,000+ Posts
ndn78, I can't post what I've said on here or I'd get thrown off! lol I agree with your take on things--these boys act scared to get hit or hit someone. Not all, but some. As for favoritism, we had two sons who played and one was good and only weighed 169 (in high school) and the other was over 6'2", 210 and the first son started every game while the smaller, younger son did a great job holding down the bench! We are proud of both of them. Neither were quitters and both could've been good, but coaches make their choices and parents have to go along with them. The boys who don't play much are still contributing to the team and will always be Indians!

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
squaw said:
ndn78, I can't post what I've said on here or I'd get thrown off! lol I agree with your take on things--these boys act scared to get hit or hit someone. Not all, but some. As for favoritism, we had two sons who played and one was good and only weighed 169 (in high school) and the other was over 6'2", 210 and the first son started every game while the smaller, younger son did a great job holding down the bench! We are proud of both of them. Neither were quitters and both could've been good, but coaches make their choices and parents have to go along with them. The boys who don't play much are still contributing to the team and will always be Indians!

+ 1 ... that is the right attitude IMO.

Go Indians. Peace.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
There is a lot to be said for just having the privilege of suiting up and knocking people's heads off, in games or practice. Later in life you get thrown in jail for similar activity. ;D

ndnnike16

pngmom said:
I HAVE SAT BY ALL SEASON AND READ EVERYONES POST,GOT MAD BUT KEPT IT TO MY SELF. BUT WHEN I READ THIS I HAD TO SAY MY PIECE. I HAVE A SON THAT PLAYS ON VARSITY ON DEFENSE. WELL I GUESS YOU COULD SAY PLAY ....HE'S NOT ALLOWEED TO. HIM AND SEVERAL OTHER SENIORS PRACTICE THEIR HEARTS OUT MON-THURS BUT ARE NEVER ALLOWEED TO PLAY ON FRIDAY NIGHT UNLESS WERE WINNING BY ALOT, WHICH HAS ONLY BEEN ONCE THIS YEAR. ONE CERTAIN COACH ALWAYS PROMISES HIM HE WILL GET TO PLAY BUT AFTER THE GAME TELLS HIM HE COULDN'T PUT HIM IN OR HE MIGHT LOSE HIS JOB FOR GOING AGAINST THE COACH OVER HIM. MANY OF THE "GOLDEN BOYS" ONLY HALF-ASS PRACTICE BUT THATS OK AFTER ALL THEY ARE THE "GOLDEN BOYS." BUT OBVIOUSLY THE GOLDEN BOYS AREN'T GETTING THE JOB DONE. MY SON HAS PRACTICED HIS HEART OUT TO THE POINT HE BROKE HIS ARM. WAS ONLY OUT 2 WEEKS AND DOCTOR SAID HE COULD PLAY.. HE WENT BACK TO PRACTICING SO MAYBE HE WOULD GET A CHANCE TO PLAY. THE PAPER HE RECEIVED AFTER THE SCRIMMAGE AGAINST MEMORIAL THAT CRITICS EACH PLAYERS PLAYS WERE EXCELLENT...ALL 4 PLAYS HE GOT TO PLAY. ONE PLAY STATED TBL. HES NOT TALL BUT BODY BUILDS AND RUNS EVERYDAY. HE'S VERY STRONG AND QUICK. HE CAN MAKE IT THRU THE LINE AND GET TO THE QB. BUT THATS OBVIOUSLY NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR OUR ALMIGHTY COACHES. WHY HAVEN'T THESE SENIOR BOYS THAT HAVEN'T BEEN ALLOWEED TO PLAY GIVEN A CHANCE. THEY COULDN'T DO ANY WORSE THAN WHAT WE HAVE....A LOSS IS A LOSS 1 POINT OR 40. WHY WOULD YOU MOVE UP JV PLAYERS INSTEAD OF WORKING WITH THE BOYS YOU HAVE THAT HAVE GIVEN THEIR ALL, ALL SUMMER, TWOADAYS AT 5AM PRACTICING ON LABOR DAY. I READ ON 1 POST HOW COACH FAIRCLOTH MAKES SURE EVERYONE GETS TO PLAY. WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!! IF MY SON WASN'T CAPABLE WOULD BE ONE THING BUT THESE COACHES PICK THEIR GOLDEN BOYS AND EVERYONE ELSE GETS LEFT OUT. WELL COACHES ANYTIME YOU GET PNG FANS THAT ARE VOICING THEIR DISPLEASURE WITH THE TEAM THATS SAYING SOMETHING BECAUSE PNG FANS ARE THE MOST LOYAL FANS THERE ARE. I AM VERY HURT AND ANGRY AT THIS NEW REGIME OF COACHES WE HAVE. I BELIEVE WE NEEDED A CHANGE, BUT NOT THIS CHANGE. I HAVE WANTED TO GO AND TALK TO MY SONS COACHES BUT HE SAID "NO MOM" THAT WOULD MESS UP ANY CHANCE I HAVE TO PLAY. THAT IS PITIFUL THAT A GOOD HARD WORKING KID HAS TO ENDURE THIS. ALL I HAVE HEARD IS HOW GREAT THESE COACHES ARE WITH THE BOYS BUT I CAN TELL YOU THAT IS NOT ALL TRUE. ONLY THEIR SELECT FEW. THEY DON'T GIVE THE TIME OF DAY TO THE OTHERS. WELL THE SELECT FEW AREN'T DOING IT. GIVE THE OTHER SENIORS A CHANCE. THE ONES THAT PRACTICE THEIR HEARTS OUT AND JUST WANT A CHANCE TO PROVE THEY COUNT. THERE IS SO MUCH BEHIND THE SCENES THE PEOPLE DON'T SEE OR HEAR. BELIEVE ME YOU MAY NOT HAVE THE SAME OPINION OF THE COACHING STAFF(NOT ALL COACHES ARE INCLUDED IN THIS). MY SON SAYS IF THEY LET THESE JV PLAYERS PLAY FRIDAY NIGHT HE IS QUITTING FOOTBALL. HE'S PLAYED SINCE 7TH GRADE. THIS IS VERY SAD THAT THESE COACHES HAVE DONE THIS TO A GOOD HARD WORKING KID. BUT I GUESS TO HIM THAT WOULD BE THE LAST STRAW....I GUESS THE LAST SLAP IN THE FACE, YOU COULD SAY. I'M SURE I WILL GET SLAMMED FOR THIS POST BUT THATS OK I FEEL EVERYONE SHOULD HEAR THE TRUTH.

This could quite possibly be the most ridiculous post I have ever seen, The coaches we have are world class. They aren't here so that your little baby gets playing time, they are here to win. Now we have started off rough this season but they will make the changes they believe are right. Please in future refrain from ridiculous posts such as this one when apparently you have no idea what is going on. THANKS!

squaw

1,000+ Posts
Her post was not ridiculous. It is all about being hurt because you know how much your son cares and doesn't get to play. I understand her feelings completely and I support her, but I also know that there is nothing she can do except make her son proud to be an Indian. He will be an Indian all his life whether he plays a down or not. He contributed. Without him and others like him, there would be no Indian successes. One son who played on the state championship team got lots of recognition while the other didn't but both are proud to walk tall as Indians and I am proud of them. They didn't quit. Sports is all about teaching young students things such as leadership, pride and hard work which will help them become men we can be proud of. Enough said. Just please try to understand how this mother is feeling.

bark

1,000+ Posts
exactly right Squaw. I am of the opinion that the Seniors should have gotten a couple of plays in last Friday night. I know one (*family friend) that did not play 1 down but has practiced every year beginning in grade 7 - that's 6 years of practice and no play. It is Fairclothes team and decision. That's life, learn from it and maybe they do things their way when they are the decision maker.

NDN79

500+ Posts
It is a very difficult situation balancing the best needs of the team with getting playing time for many different players. It is tough for the parents, and tough for the coaches too. This is just one of many different situations that a head-coach must deal with daily. All we see as fans is what goes on in the games on Friday's, but their is much more that goes on in running the team. I feel for any parent who's child doesn't get much, if any playing time. All we can do is encourage the student athlete's and believe that the coaching staff will make the right decisions.I think that our staff has done a great job, but I understand how emotional it is for parents that have a son that may not get much playing time.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores