Sugar Coating

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
NDN4Life..You don't honestly think that these coaches aren't evaluating these kids daily and having discussions daily about personnel changes that they could make. I have seen a lot of moving kids around and new kids in the games on defense since the GP game. Maybe this is the best defense we can field right now, I don't know. I hope with a returning injured LB and bringing some kids up from JV that they will find the right combination. A word of caution to those who are so high on the JV defense...Most of the defensive players on varsity this season are starters from an undefeated JV defense that pitched a lot of shutouts last year. Evidently, it hasn't translated into success on the varsity level. So there is no guarantee that these kids will make an impact when brought up. I hope with all my heart that they tear it up when given the chance on Friday night.

yankeedawg

500+ Posts
It hasn't been brought up in this thread, but am I the ONLY one who believes that there may be a tiny bit of politics involved in this somehow, to a certain extent ?? I've seen it happen at other schools and I really think it is a common practice, so it wouldn't surprise me.

turn2

yankeedawg said:
It hasn't been brought up in this thread, but am I the ONLY one who believes that there may be a tiny bit of politics involved in this somehow, to a certain extent ?? I've seen it happen at other schools and I really think it is a common practice, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Do not stir the pot "dawg" on something you nothing about :pistols:

pngfan66

500+ Posts
Lets See here now. Politics were most certain in the MB regime. I don't say I can see any here. My son plays on JV. He has started some games and not started some games. On JV as well as on varsity, you hustle and out work your other team mates you earn the position. In my view. I go and watch alot of practices for the JV as well as the Varsity. I can tell you something, there are those that don't do much but drag around and then there are the ones who are busting their $#%'s ! From going to both the JV and varsity games I can tell you that the players who are seriously busting it out there are seeing significant playing time. Now as far as having pet players..... I don't see that with these coaches. Maybe dealing with Doty somewhat, but BF coaches the QB's. For those that have been to JV games, the 2 QB's seem to compete every week for the starting position. I've noticed the same thing with the running backs, D linemen, O linemen, Pretty much all positions.
My Oldest son played in the MB era, he started his senior year but lost it to a Junior. Smaller, slower player who spent most of his time on his back.. Now you want to open up politics.... The juniors family went to the same church, ran in the same circle and the Dad was a close friend of MB. So thats politics. My son faught hard to win back that starting position and it never happened, even when the Junior was being run over and stomped in the ground. I approached MB about my sons position and all I got was a runaround and no reply except oh he is working harder. MY reply at that time was BS ! Even his team mates new the BS and that the junior was not a capable player at all.

So now to this point, If your son feels like he should be starting over someone else then he should ask his coach what he can do to either win that position or how to get more playing time. I'm telling you the coaches put in who they feel are the best ! Our coaches, in my honest opinion give every player the chance to show their stuff. Now if your son quits then that will be on you. I would not let my sons quit something they have started. No player on this team is a individual, they are all a team and everyone contributes in some way or another. Whether its in practice, the scout team or in a game or supporting the guys on the field in the game. They are a team !

pngmom4

500+ Posts
I agree, PNG66, I don't like for kids to quit. In my son's situation, he was continually lied to about playing time. I knew that talking to the coach about it would do no good. If my son had not been told he would start and play, I would have advised my son to talk to the coach and maybe step up his game. I am a firm believer that every player should earn thier position, that includes my own.

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
NDN4Life said:
I didn't say I thought they were better, I said that these coaches have tried different players and different combinations. That was is response to your remark that they might need to do some reevaluating. This reminds me of the old saying about how everyone's favorite player is the back-up quarterback...until they give him the reins and then everyone finds out why he was the back-up. We are a medium sized 4A school, so I just don't buy that we have a bunch of All-State players on the bench and on JV. I think the coaches know what they have and have been working with what they have. People act like we are some big football powerhouse like Katy, Westlake, Lake Travis or Lufkin. We are not and are not loaded with D-1 talent like the above schools.

Edit: This was in response to NDN4Life's last post, which he edited while I was typing above post.

yankeedawg

500+ Posts
turn2 said:
yankeedawg said:

Do not stir the pot "dawg" on something you nothing about :pistols:

You are absolutely right "turn", PNG politics is a topic I KNOW nothing about, nor do I profess to. Nor did I intend to stir the pot as you put it. I merely tried to interject a possible reason for the problems cited by pngmom4. As several posters on this thread have pointed out (pngfan66 hit it on the head, what I was trying to express) , politics are a reality in nearly every aspect of life, like it or not. I did not say that there ARE politics in play, I indicated that it MAY be...big difference. It's a very distinct possiblity...like the old adage goes..."It's not what you know..it's who you know"

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
IndianFan said:
At a 4A-5A school with 50-60 players on the roster, not everyone gets to play significant time. That has been the case every season since football has existed. And every player's parent that's ever existed feels as you do.

Despite a coaches sincere desire to let everyone play, he's hired to, and expected to win games. The 'golden boys' are, most of the time, the players that have the best chance to succeed.

But as a parent it's always difficult to see your child not reap some glory from their efforts.

Excellent post.

Oldschool

If your son is not playing then it is probably because the players in front of him are probably more effective. It is easy for someone to grade high on four plays but a game consists of way more than four plays. There is also the consideration of the level of competition your son faced.I do not believe the coaches would be playing any favorites with the player. They are trying to provide us the best chance to win. Tell your son to stick it out and to keep working hard. Quitting does not solve his problem at all, you have no chance of playing from the stands. Being a part of the team is a great honour due to the importance of football in our two cities. You should encourage him to stick it out if you encourage and allow him to quit then youare telling him that quitting is acceptable, which is a bad parenting choice IMO. I personally hope that he will stays strong and finishes his commitments.

OldEagle

500+ Posts
I remember several years ago there was a lineman that never played much. He continued to practice and work out on weights. Then in his senior year someone got hurt - I think maybe it was a two-way starter. This new player started playing while the starter was out. The new player did so well that when the original starter returned, the new player remained a starter while the old starter just played one-way. So you never know what might happen.
Also the people who may not play much are still an important part of the team and should feel as though they are contributing because they are.

NDN79

500+ Posts
This is a very difficult and emotional issue for players and parents. As parents we want our children to do their best, be successful at what they do, and enjoy their school years. Sometimes as parents its hard to be impartial when our child is involved in any extra-curricular activity--we all want our children to be a starter, 1st teamer, or thought of as being good at what they do. We as parents don't always have the answers for our children, or don't get the answer we hope for. I too think that if you start something you should finish it. Quitting things can lead to the "easy way out" mind-set(not suggesting in any way that this is the case with the earlier discussed young men). Sometimes situations dictate that tough choices have to be made, and those decisions are difficult. Our children will always face adversity, but adversity can build character and faith. I hope the situations work out for the young men.

pngmom

As to those of you who have expressed encouragement to my son, I thank you and he greatly appreciates it. I have never allowed my son or my daughters to be a quitter, but I also wanted him to have the choice (he is 18) to keep his dignity if he thought that is what he needed to do. Him and I (and my husband) have sat down with him this week and many long talks. I told him the choice was his but there were things he should consider in making his decision. I also told him high school was only such a short bleep of your life and there are alot of kids that don't all have the same opprutunities as others. My son is a really good awesome kid (everyone tells us how lucky we are to have such a wonderful son-I will wake up on a Saturday morning and he will have cleaned the whole house:mop, vacum, dust, etc.) and I know he has a bright future ahead of him. He came home after school today and said "Mom. I'm not going to quit. I've never been a quitter and I am not going to start now." I knew he would make the right decision, but I wanted it to be his decision. We are so blessed to have a kid with such a good head on his shoulders. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOU ENCOURAGING WORDS IT PROBABLY PLAYED A PART IN HIS DECISION.
BBHS- Definition of the "Golden Boys"- The ones that get to play all the time, the ones that the coaches show favoritism to, the ones that can half ass practice Mon-Fri but play on Friday night, the ones that the coaches go and beg the teachers to pass them so they can keep playing, the ones that will never get drug tested, the ones that to continue to mess up on Fridat night but are never replaced by a kid that just wants a chance to try, just try to see if he could do the job for his team that needs to be done.

I, for one, am glad that your son is the young man that he obviously is and is not going to quit. Quitters never win in football or the game of life. Unfortunately in football and the real world, we have to work against all types of adversity, discrimination, favoritism, sometimes not being told the whole truth, and all other kinds of things the world throws at us. Those who continue to do their best will aways succeed. That doesn't always mean making the most money or holding the highest position for those are not the true measure of success. The truly successful person is the one who can hold their head high, knowing that they gave every challenge their very best, who has cherished their loved ones, and served their fellowman and their God (no matter which one he is).

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
pngmom your description of the "golden boys" is your opinion and your perspective. Please respect these kids and their parents, as people have been respectful of you and your son. At some of the practices I have been able to attend I witnessed some of the high profile starters smoking everyone when they were running gassers at the end of practice. These kids didn't have anything to prove, their positions were established, but they still busted their butts because they wanted to get better and set an example. As pngfan66 stated, he notices that the kids who are putting out in practice are the ones playing come game time, while the ones who are "half assing it" don't play. Just because you are hurt that your son isn't playing doesn't give you a right to slam coaches and other players on the team. One question. Have you personally witnessed any of the things you have accused these coaches and players of doing? If not, I think you just need to drop it.

carzan

500+ Posts
BBHS- Definition of the "Golden Boys"- The ones that get to play all the time, the ones that the coaches show favoritism to, the ones that can half ass practice Mon-Fri but play on Friday night, the ones that the coaches go and beg the teachers to pass them so they can keep playing, the ones that will never get drug tested, the ones that to continue to mess up on Fridat night but are never replaced by a kid that just wants a chance to try, just try to see if he could do the job for his team that needs to be done.

That's pretty harsh. That's a big accusation, especially with what's going on right now.

BBHS-65

I think that pngmom needs to chill. I also have watched many of the practices and I don't think that the coaches are playing favorites. Your definition of "Golden Boys" is very harsh and I totally disagree with you. And for the record, I don't have a son playing on the team.

hookem14

100+ Posts
I have also been to A LOT of practices and do not believe the coaches are playing favorites. I believe the coaches are playing who they believe will give the team the best chance to win. I do not have a son playing either.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores