Totally Impressed <<<<Geronimo's Fury>>>>>>

ndnwarrior

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMk4UEHzvAY

I think this video would be GREAT to be played on the JumoTron the last home game.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed. The current team expect to see themselves in the video footage. It's really nice though.

TheBoysMom

That footage was filmed and edited last year by Brent Walker and the PN-G Prime Time crew from the class of 2009. Someone else used the footage recently and added the new music.

I agree, a current video of a similar style would be great. Hopefully the current Prime Time staff already has it underway!

NDN79

500+ Posts
The videos for Ned. and Vidor games were good, I thought. I would like to see them use the jumbotron more after a good defensive play--play some music and get the crowd even more fired-up!!

bandkid

Staff member
The video for MCM was awesome. I really wish someone had a recording of it that they could upload to this site.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
I wish they would play Cherokee on the scoreboard so everyone, even those in general admission, could hear it and get fired up. The scoreboard was awesome this past week.

bandkid

Staff member
squaw said:
I wish they would play Cherokee on the scoreboard so everyone, even those in general admission, could hear it and get fired up. The scoreboard was awesome this past week.

This may not be a very good solution. Running a sound system (especially one as large as that of Indian Stadium) requires balance between the microphones and the speakers, something that is going to be very hard to achieve in a stadium with such loud speakers and such a large, open area. In addition, the massive sound delay (as evidenced when the choir sings the national anthem every Friday) is going to end up throwing people in the center of the stands off and we're not taking into account how much background noise could be picked up from the crowd whether during Cherokee, pop tunes, or when the band is simply watching the game.

Now, if the district could find some way to position a microphone in a location so that it could catch only the band's sound and perfectly balance the volume with the microphone's reception and eliminate the sound delay, I'd be all for it, but that's pretty hard to do with a small sound system in a controlled environment, let alone such a large sound system in an environment as chaotic as Indian Stadium on a Friday night.

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
The day they have to mic up the marching band is the day you should turn in your instrument. :)

Seriously though, I think pointing the horns more toward the crowd and more "playing from the gut" might help. During the Texas City game I happened to be down by the track when the band marched in and played Cherokee, many years ago you would need earplugs that close, not now.

I was also surprised at how weak the Vidor band sounded, even when they played "Cathedral" at the end of their halftime show. Years ago that was an awesome wall of sound, not anymore.

Not saying the band should blare like the Central band, but there is a happy medium in there somewhere.

I understand about the nature of contest drills and competing now days, and how shows have changed....but heck, back in the day what we enjoyed more than anything was playing something that brought the "pop-corn munchers" (folks that normally don't pay attention to halftime) to their feet, and it is amazing how a little volume will do that ;)

Good luck at Area!

bandkid

Staff member
It has consistently been getting louder. I come out of each game a little bit more deaf. I think that, given time, you'll start to hear it from further away as the band grows and gains more brass and percussion instruments.

I heard a rumor the other day that there will be a couple more tubas, something like nine more trumpets (there's already something like 24), and a whole mess of new trombone and french horn players next year and that they will be adding the second quint and possibly the fifth bass drum back in next year. It's just a rumor, though. I'll post more as I find out more.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
Funny--this problem began when we got the new sound system which was BEFORE the stands and stadium were upgraded. For many years, we could hear. All I know is that this needs to be addressed by the people we paid lots of money to for a lousy sound system. At first, I blamed it all on the band, but now am convinced its the sound system setup.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I read somewhere that the sound system is NFL quality.

What does the sound system have to do with band volume?

bandkid

Staff member
squaw said:
Funny--this problem began when we got the new sound system which was BEFORE the stands and stadium were upgraded. For many years, we could hear. All I know is that this needs to be addressed by the people we paid lots of money to for a lousy sound system. At first, I blamed it all on the band, but now am convinced its the sound system setup.

Are you absolutely sure that the band's sound was amplified with the stadium's sound system at one time? That's not common practice (in fact, I don't think I've ever heard of a band doing that under any circumstances) and I would think that the problems with it would be catastrophic.

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
bandkid said:
squaw said:

Are you absolutely sure that the band's sound was amplified with the stadium's sound system at one time? That's not common practice (in fact, I don't think I've ever heard of a band doing that under any circumstances) and I would think that the problems with it would be catastrophic.

There is no way this band, or any other high school band has been miked in the past. It would be way too difficult. Bandkid is right. Any benefit received would be minimal and completely outweighed by the problems created. There would only be two ways to mic the band and that would require either a direct mic be placed on every instrument and then mixed together (lets just say this would be IMPOSSIBLE). The next type, and the type that most would likely advocate would be with omni directional mics to pick up an ambient sound. Problem, these mics pick up EVERYTHING. This would create all kinds of problems from picking up talking to major feedback issues. No need to get into all the specifics but it would be in the best interest to not waste the money to mic the band.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The only memory I have of band music over the sound system was 1999. They played a recording of Cherokee if I remember correctly.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
A friend of mine suggested using "I've Got A Feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas as an intro song. If you listen to the words, it would be awesome and I think it would pump up the crowd.

My husband says .....putting the band in the middle - 50 yard line section of the bleachers, that should eliminate all the not being able to hear the band!

What about that idea ? Folks on both sides should be able to hear Cherokee and other songs...... :music:

NDN79

500+ Posts
That's not going to happen! No way are they going to take season ticket holders on the 50yd. line and move them so that everyone can hear the band. Won't happen.

I thought we retired this subject (NOT BEING ABLE TO HEAR THE BAND) WEEKS ago!?

Let's move on please! :huh:

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores