Vote on Your Favorite Tempo for Cherokee

What is your preferred tempo for Cherokee after 1st downs and touchdowns?

• 1984 Indian Band, Post Marching Contest ~ 144 bpm.

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • 1999 Indian Band, Brazosport Playoff Game ~ 132 bpm.

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • 2008 Indian Band, Nederland Game ~ 120 bpm.

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
I voted for the 1999 version because I think the '84 version was a little TOO fast. Someone on here who was in the '84 band even said they rushed it because they were excited about going to state. I was in band from '87 to '91 and we played it around 135, and we didn't have to slow it down for anyone to keep up ::)! The recording they use on the radio and it used to be on the PNGISD.org website was from when I was in band, I wanna say the ringtone that is going around is us too, not sure about that though. Maybe someone could find that version and post it here so we'd have another option to choose from, just a suggestion.

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
I would say optimum tempo is somwhere between '84 and '99. Just my opinion though.
The mp3 verison on this site (linked above) that was played by the 1988 Wind Ensemble is at ~140 bpm, which, wouldn't you know it, is right between the '84 and '99 versions. This tempo would have been typical speed the '84 band would have played it as well.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
140bpm...wow..I didn't realize we played it that fast! I think we did slow it down a bit for the marching I, not much though, probably around 135. This is the reason I don't buy into what Mr. Wells said about Mr. A and Mr. W telling him that the "perfect" tempo for Cherokee is between 112 and 120 bpm, there's no way because NONE of their bands played it that slow, so why would they tell him that?? ::)

Another thing, is there any way for someone on here to write up a generic letter about this issue, including all the points we have been making on here and post it so anyone who wants to can copy and paste it in an email to the band directors? I just think we would get alot more participation on this if we did that. Anyway, just a suggestion.

PNGIndianFan06

100+ Posts
Since there is discussion again about the tempo of Cherokee, don't forget to vote in the poll! Let's see everyone's preference.

bandkid

Staff member
I didn't notice this until just now, but there's a problem with the examples listed beside the speeds. The speed of the recorded Cherokee (the one that IndianFan posted) is approximately 120 bpm. The 1999 Brazosport game is about 100 bpm and the current Cherokee varies between 100 and 120 bpm. The 1984 Cherokee (the video that started this whole discussion back in December) ran somewhere between 132 and 144 bpm.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
I don't think its the bpm's, its the lack of brass, drums and volume of sound. We are just not very loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout:

N

NDNPARENT

Justafan said:
I don't think its the bpm's, its the lack of brass, drums and volume of sound. We are just not very loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout:

i agree.. i also heard that they limit the numbers of band and indianettes personel too. Unlike in the past there was not a fixed number of personel.

Former NDNette

100+ Posts
There has always been a limit on the # of Indianettes. Back in the 70's there were 80 Indianettes and 72 marched each game. Then later they lowered the #. Don't know what they are doing now, I just wish they would stop marching in the Westernaires. There was nothing wrong with the way we marched in up until 2 yrs ago.

bandkid

Staff member
NDNPARENT said:
Justafan said:

i agree.. i also heard that they limit the numbers of band and indianettes personel too. Unlike in the past there was not a fixed number of personel.

Indianettes, yes, although the limit has been raised since they have started marching. Band, no. However, like in all extra-curricular activities, grades and drug tests affect the number of members who actually participate.

bandkid

Staff member
I did a little bit of late night research and found something interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/v/HNsv57_iJG0&hl=en&fs=1&

This is from one of our home games (not sure which one) in the 2007 season. I'd say that this one was played at a nice volume and a nice tempo based on what I saw from the video.

phetonb

I played Tuba from 82-86. We played it LOUDER, and faster.

I was at band practice the other day and noticed a few things our band directors should consider, if they want it to be more like the fans want it to be.

1. The Tuba part has changed since I remember it. At the end of the 'original' version, the Tubas played whole notes. Without a solid Bass that is loud, it will not sound the same.

2. In the 2007 version, the notes at the end of the first phrases are held too long. I noticed that had changed back to the old way at practice.

3. The tempo at practice was too slow, but Mr. Wells did say to the band he wanted it slow for this practice but it would be played faster this year.

4. The drums still don't sound like they used to. I think the emphasis used to be on the 1 beat, and now it is not, or they are not hitting the 1 beat loud enough. Cherokee used to start on the 1st tom tom beat, no drum intro.

5. I know Mr. Wells wants a good sound. We did too, back in the day, but I can remember Mr. A. and W. both saying to play it loud!!! they wanted good tone, but a little edgy. I could make my fiberglass sousaphone resonate like I have not heard in a long time on Cherokee.

6. Cherokee is a FIGHT SONG. It should not sound like a concert piece, but loud, and strong. Not bad tone quality, but push the envelope a bit. If memory serves fff not f or ff.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
More drums and More brass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout:

squaw

1,000+ Posts
I say impeach the current band director if he can't even play our fight song correctly and Justafan is right--more drums (with the proper cadence) and more horns---and everything played LOUD!!

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
I am one section over from the band and I can't even hear them. Very sad...... In the past you could alway hear the drums to let you know it was beginning.

Bandkid, HELP US OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout:

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
phetonb said:

I was at band practice the other day and noticed a few things our band directors should consider, if they want it to be more like the fans want it to be.

1. The Tuba part has changed since I remember it. At the end of the 'original' version, the Tubas played whole notes. Without a solid Bass that is loud, it will not sound the same.

2. In the 2007 version, the notes at the end of the first phrases are held too long. I noticed that had changed back to the old way at practice.

3. The tempo at practice was too slow, but Mr. Wells did say to the band he wanted it slow for this practice but it would be played faster this year.

4. The drums still don't sound like they used to. I think the emphasis used to be on the 1 beat, and now it is not, or they are not hitting the 1 beat loud enough. Cherokee used to start on the 1st tom tom beat, no drum intro.

5. I know Mr. Wells wants a good sound. We did too, back in the day, but I can remember Mr. A. and W. both saying to play it loud!!! they wanted good tone, but a little edgy. I could make my fiberglass sousaphone resonate like I have not heard in a long time on Cherokee.

6. Cherokee is a FIGHT SONG. It should not sound like a concert piece, but loud, and strong. Not bad tone quality, but push the envelope a bit. If memory serves fff not f or ff.

AMEN

bandkid

Staff member
phetonb said:

In response to "2," I believe this is indicative of Mr. Wells' willingness to work on Cherokee and make it more appropriate to the fans.

In response to "3," that's the way everything is right now. We're going very slow right now because the only thing on the judgment sheets last year that made any sense were the comments about our fundamentals. Understandably, Mr. Wells has slowed things down to put much more emphasis on our fundamentals. Mr. Wells did mention that Cherokee will be faster this year, which is also indicative of the aforementioned willingness.

In response to "4," we've had an intro for all of my years in band, which means that an intro was added before Mr. Wells became the head band director. I have no idea when that was added; all I can say is that it was added sometime before I joined the band.

In response to "5," my bet is that you'll have both a good and loud sound soon.

In response to "6," it'll get that way. Things are being held back right now because, again, stress is being put on fundamentals. Last year, practices at this point in marching season were much louder than that. It'll get there.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores