Vote on Your Favorite Tempo for Cherokee

What is your preferred tempo for Cherokee after 1st downs and touchdowns?

• 1984 Indian Band, Post Marching Contest ~ 144 bpm.

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • 1999 Indian Band, Brazosport Playoff Game ~ 132 bpm.

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • 2008 Indian Band, Nederland Game ~ 120 bpm.

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters

bandkid

Staff member
Justafan said:
Cherokee is one song Mr. Wells can let slide on the fundamentals, play it LOUD!!!!!! lol

I believe so as well, but please understand that, while I think Mr. Wells would be very open to any suggestions, it would be inappropriate for me as a member of the band to tell a band director how to do his job. That's not my place.

I would suggest that any communications be held until after the first few games, but Mr. Wells has shown himself to be very open to suggestions from the fans and any e-mails or phone calls would be well-received.

phetonb

Thanks Band Kid for your responses.

I am not at all upset with Mr. Wells, nor the band. I, and I believe many fans, just want to hear Cherokee like we used to.

My son is in the band now, and I know that the music for Cherokee is not the same sheet music we used. Someone over the years must have "rewritten" some parts.

We played it from the old "love song" music, but only played parts of it, and not the written dynamics.

Someone probably rewrote it to make it easier to play by not having to ignore much of the original music.

As a section leader, I remember in 1984 being in the front of the band in the bandhall during Cherokee, and it was so loud, you could hardly hear yourself think. Our band hall had lower ceilings than you do now, so that may have some effect.

The dynamics of the fight song is so important. All I ask is that the band "Play it Loud, and Play it Proud".

ndnette04

Okay, seriously. The fire it up pep rally was even more proof that the tempo for Cherokee has got to get faster. The percussion picks it up perfectly to count it off...but it's like the director then slows it down....and everyone suffers. do you know what its like to be a cheerleader and have to run in place IN SLOW MOTION!?! The Indianettes have had to slow officer Cherokee down and the crowd looks like a bunch of idiots who don't know how to clap, but the truth is they're so used to it being faster.

I mean I'm not even saying super fast...just a couple more bpm's. Seriously.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
We spent several hours yesterday evening/night at the scrimmage. We sit on the 30 yd. line AWAY from the band (closer to the fire dept.) and could not even tell when Cherokee was beginning and could hardly even hear it at all. We sat for 38 years in almost the same spot in the old stadium and never had trouble hearing it before (and, NO, I don't need a hearing aid!). There is only two possible reasons; (1) the new sound system stinks, or (2) the band still cannot play Cherokee loud enough. Also, it was SO SLOW! In fact, it almost put us senior citizens to sleep. Can anybody find the solution to this problem?

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
In my opinion.... it's too slow. It's too slow this year... it was too slow last year.... and short of getting a petition with signatures and delivering it to the principal, I assume we will continue to hear the "new' softer and slower version all year long. From what I can gather, the focus is on the "quality and sound of the note". Which, don't get me wrong... is important. But, come on.. it's a fight song.

Someone could probably make a good living off of printing and selling a tee shirt saying:

CHEROKEE..... play it louder..play it faster.

shovelhead

100+ Posts
I just read this thread, and am kinda surprised. I thought the band played very well last night at the fire it up pep rally. It was louder, as there is more brass this year than last. I think the tempo this year was faster... and about the right speed. I remember feeling it was to slow and not loud enough last year. Lets give it a couple of games and see. I do feel we'll have a lot more to get excited about this year!. I do like the saying CHEROKEE - Play it Loud, Play it Proud!

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
I thought it was faster too! Now, there was one point when it was REALLY slow and I was like, here we go again, but after that it got better. Still think it needs to be a little faster and louder, and they need to do something about the drums, I don't like the way they play the intro now, but overall I thought it was a big improvement from last year!

squaw

1,000+ Posts
I just realized that the volume changed when they added a new sound system in the older stadium. I owe Jim Wesbrook an apology for complaining about the speakers when, come to find out, it was the band that was the problem. I'd say they lowered the sound about 5 to 6 years ago and it hasn't gotten any better. Please, please, Mr. Wells, go back to the glory days and play Cherokee as it was played then. Let us know if you need recordings, etc., but get it right before we lose our fan base due to lackluster sound from our band which is so important to us, the fans! We love our band and just want our traditions that are so special to us to continue and NOT CHANGE!

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
squaw said:
I just realized that the volume changed when they added a new sound system in the older stadium. I owe Jim Wesbrook an apology for complaining about the speakers when, come to find out, it was the band that was the problem. I'd say they lowered the sound about 5 to 6 years ago and it hasn't gotten any better. Please, please, Mr. Wells, go back to the glory days and play Cherokee as it was played then. Let us know if you need recordings, etc., but get it right before we lose our fan base due to lackluster sound from our band which is so important to us, the fans! We love our band and just want our traditions that are so special to us to continue and NOT CHANGE!

Have you emailed him?

squaw

1,000+ Posts
I know he reads this site. If he has questions, he can PM me on here anytime and, if he wants it, I will give him my personal phone number if he wants to talk about this. Justafan, you know I stand behind what I say. :-*

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
Justafan said:
squaw said:

Have you emailed him?

I have. The standard "we had to slow the tempo down so the Indian Spirit, Indianette Officers and twirlers could effectively do their ceremony routines properly". I think the email was posted in the forum last year.

I'm quite surprised it has continued to be played slower than years past, however, I am trying to be confident and still hoping that Mr. Wells (and the DRUM MAJORS) will count it off a little faster, bang the drums louder, and blow the horns loud and proud this year!

You can always hope.....

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
MORE DRUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!

:band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band:

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores