Bob West's Predictions in todays PA News

squaw

1,000+ Posts
Bob West says PNG is considering Mike Long, Alvin Creuder, Jim Bob Helduser and possibly Ronnie Thompson. I think that, while these guys are good coaches, I'd rather see Brian Barbay or someone unknown from way out of town. What is everyone else's opinion on this?

yankeedawg

500+ Posts
Bahhhhh. I'm surprised he didn't write that TH is also in the running.

I tend to agree with Squaw...I think someone removed from the area and the local politics would be a better choice than an area known guy.

pngfan1

Comical, how does he know? He doesn't even know who has or who will put in for it. I am in the crowd that wants someone from outside(and not local). Bob didn't even mention the name(Alvarez) of the only local who I would consider. Oh well, just like us its just speculation on BW's part.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Truth is most ideas that Bob West writes about regarding PN-G are discussed here long before being printed in the PA News. Long and Credeur were being tossed around as possibilities before the West article.

However, Jim Bob Helduser is a curious option that probably few have considered. A starter on the 1975 state championship team , Helduser has primarily been an offensive line coach in the college ranks with a 5 year stint as head coach at SWT (20–34–1 record, 5-5-1, 2-9, 4-7, 4-7, 5-6). He would bring college level coaching experience to a program that is looking for a new direction, but doesn't have a proven track record of turning high school programs around. It would be great if he could return as the offensive line coach if the head coaching position doesn't pan out for him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Bob_Helduser

1IDPURPLEMONSTER

What's the difference between Bob West and a baloney sandwich, the bread!! We need someone with zero connections to PNG, did I say zero connections. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

OLD_cj79

I hope when the new head coach is assigned he will retain Dan Welch as the offensive line coach. We always had a dominating o-line when he was in that position. With multiple players making the all district team under his lead. He is great at teaching fundamentals and blocking schemes. In my opinion while playing for him I learned more from him than any other coach i ever played for.

pngfan1

One name mentioned on other boards that I have not seen mentioned here is Dougald McDougald. Whats ya'lls opinions on him?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Another starter from the 70's playoff teams. Hasn't won a ton of games at Kingwood but is well respected.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Creduer = similar to MB; power run game, attacking defense, will throw the ball around and take some chances downfield; not afraid to start a SOPH at QB or at other skill positions; would be a good choice IMO (I thought MB would be fine with a different OC).

McDougald = run, run, run, run, run, etc. from the wishbone/flexbone/veer/wing-T ... you get the picture ... I'm not sure the forward pass has been seen much at all in Kingwood ... Kingwood is a threat in basketball, not football.

Long = he will throw the ball around ... he can develop QBs ... it would be interesting to see what he could do at PN-G ... he would probably have a similar run game to what MB used, but, he would sling the ball around; I have no idea what his defensive schemes or tendencies would be.

JB Helduser = no idea what he would or would not do ... he's been around some good coaches so who knows?

Perhaps we could go find a young energetic coach with 1 or 2 sons in elementary or middle school ala Art Briles, Todd Dodge, etc. Go find the next Briles, Dodge, Alan Waddell, Sam Harrell, Sonny Detmer, etc. Open up the job and see who applies. Then, pick the best candidate for the job ... and tell them it is okay to develop QBs ... a good QB in Texas High School football will take you a long ways, i.e., Richy Ethridge, Dustin Long, Kendall Briles, Graham Harrell, Riley Dodge, etc. That is why teams like WO-S, Katy, North Shore, LaMarque, Friendswood, Stephenville, West Brook, Nederland are successful (as were the old TJ teams in the early 1980s) ... they were not afraid to develop QBs who could run, throw, and make plays. Just my 0.02 cents. Fire away.

Whoever gets the nod to be the next (new) Chief, give them a chance to implement a new program ... and support the kids of PN-G. Go Indians. Peace.

PNGfan

100+ Posts
Gary McMillan, Houston Kincaid(X)-----.7467: 224-75-3

Larry McBroom, Crlt Turner(x)-------------.7152: 236-94-0

J.G. Cartwright, Boyd(X)(10-4)------------.7114: 241-96-6

Tommy Zajicek, Sweeny(X)-----------------.6982: 111-46-7

Todd York, Kaufman(X)----------------------.6867: 103-47-0

Tommy Bludau, Schulenburg(x)(4-6)----.6775: 189-89-4

I found these names as some of the highest winning active coaches. There was more, but those coaches were at very established HS and wouldn't leave their HS for PNG. I don't know much about these guys, but we could look them up. These stats were from the 06 season.

PNGfan

100+ Posts
Todd York

Campus: Kaufman High School

Job Title: Athletic Director, Head Football Coach

Instructor Of: Athletics

Responsibilities: Total program boys and girls 7-12

Teaching Experience: 22 years

Education: Masters of education : Tarleton State University

PNGfan

100+ Posts
Kaufman Lions earn 'Army Strong' honors
From staff reports
Published:
Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:49 AM CST
Kaufman Lions' fans know they have a special group of players that has represented Kaufman with class and skill on the field, but it was a visit from an Army representative that showed everyone else that the Lions are the real deal.

Dave Campbell’s Texas Football named the Kaufman Lions the Army Strong Team of the Week for Division 3A. Kaufman handed No. 1 ranked Kennedale their first loss of the season, 20-17, Oct. 23.

“This is a real neat thing,” coach Todd York said. “In all my years of coaching I’ve never had a team get this.”

Army representative Sergeant First Class Stephen D. Whited attended the Lions’ last regular pep rally Nov. 7 and presented a plaque acknowledging the achievement.

“The Lions were chosen for this honor because of their teamwork, dedication, discipline, personal courage and integrity, values shared by U.S. Army Soldiers,” he said.

Dave Campbell’s Texas Football is an annual publication, previewing football teams in the state of Texas.

“The Lions held on for a big win over an undefeated Kennedale team,” said Adam Hochfelder, general manager of Dave Campbell’s Texas Football.

“The U.S. Army is recognizing the student-athletes at Kaufman High School for demonstrating qualities similar to those exhibited by a U.S. Army Soldier, who is mentally, emotionally and physically strong,” said Captain Brad Parker. “We expect to see some of these young men competing at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, the college level, or maybe even professionally in the future.”

This guy might be someone to look at if he's willing to move. Kaufman is playing state 3A powerhouse Celina this week in the Quarter finals

PNGfan

100+ Posts
3A Kaufman

Coaching Staff Information
**updated for 2008**

KAUFMAN

Head Football Coach: Todd York
Office Phone #: (972) 932-3179
contact e-mail: tyork@kaufmanisd.net

Athletic Director: Todd York
office phone #: (972) 932-3179
contact e-mail: tyork@kaufmanisd.net

Athletic Secretary: Lisa Cook

Office Fax #: (972) 932-3179

Asst. Coach Phone #: (972) 932-2916

Superintendent: Todd Williams

office phone #: (972) 932-2622

H.S. Principal: John Rouse
office phone #: (972) 932-2811

H.S. Press Box Phone #: (972) 932-2845
Press Box Coordinator: Mike Sloan

2007 SUMMARY
Wins:[/u] 8
Losses: 3

2008 PROSPECTUS
Returning Lettermen: 17
Returning Off Starters: 5
Returning Def Starters: 6

H.S. Mailing Address:
Kaufman High School
3205 South Houston
Kaufman, Texas 75142

H.S. Phone #: (972) 932-2811

H.S. Website:
www.kisd.net

Offensive Coordinator: Larry Clark
Defensive Coordinator: Reese Fleming
Offensive Formation: Wing I
Defensive Formation: 4-3

Time of Athletic Period: 11::00am-12:00pm
Practice Time: 4:00pm-6:30pm

1-A and 1-AA Prospects:
Brett Brewer, C/DE, 6-0, 225, 4.7
Hepitaseo "Hippo" Perea, FB/LB, 5-10, 200, 4.8

Biggest Strength(s): Several three-year starters.

biggest concern(s): Depth in the line.

Head Coaching Experience:
Corrigan-Camden (76-29)
Terrell (22-12)
Kaufman (13-9)
Overall (111-50)

h.s. you graduated from: Conroe High School

college you graduated from: Tarleton State University

most exciting coaching moment: Winning the Class 2-A state championship at Corrigan-Camden.

This is my pick to go after, I think he has only been there a couple of years, but appears to be a good pick. Any thoughts?

squaw

1,000+ Posts
I'd take him and I'd also consider Brian Barbay at Cold Springs and Jeff Traylor at Gilmore. All appear to be young, enthusiastic and successful. Any of the three would be great!

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
dogwood said:
IndianFan said:
Truth is most ideas that Bob West writes about regarding PN-G are discussed here long before being printed in the PA News. Long and Credeur were being tossed around as possibilities before the West article.

However, Jim Bob Helduser is a curious option that probably few have considered. A starter on the 1975 state championship team , Helduser has primarily been an offensive line coach in the college ranks with a 5 year stint as head coach at SWT (20–34–1 record, 5-5-1, 2-9, 4-7, 4-7, 5-6). He would bring college level coaching experience to a program that is looking for a new direction, but doesn't have a proven track record of turning high school programs around. It would be great if he could return as the offensive line coach if the head coaching position doesn't pan out for him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Bob_Helduser

A minor clarification about Jim Bob is that he did not start for the 1975 championship team. He started for the 1974 team that lost in the semifinals against Brazoswood when David Hodge ran back two interceptions for touchdowns to beat PNG 14-7. He and MB graduated in the same class of 1975.

I remember that game well. If not for Hodges, PNG wins state 2 yrs in a row, as Brazoswood goes on to demolish their opponenet in the finals.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores