Countdown to Week 1 2016!

bark

1,000+ Posts
1989NDN said:
IndianFan said:
I'm more worried about losing Hauck. If the Indians don't have the horses up front blocking, it's going to be a long night for whoever is running the ball. And Hauck was going to be the anchor.

+1...he was going to be a 3-year starter with good size and quickness...next man up...PN-G OLs have rarely just lined up and out-sized opponents...our kids will just have to use good technique, good positioning, and out work the other kids wearing different the other jerseys.

Go Indians. Peace.
Don't know why the quick exit. Could have been a star going into his Sr. year? I have a friend who's son is a third year starter for Vandergrif he tells me he is alternating 2/3rd spot OL. Late move in I guess.

This year looks bleak with young 1st year Qb, no Rb, no defense returners at the same position, recievers?
Anyone in the know have any insight. I only hear from work and the gym. No one involved that I know.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
If Runnels is hurt then go with the speedster hughes we will run every play in high gear with Roschon and hughes in the backfield and McZeal outside!!!!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
bark said:
1989NDN said:
IndianFan said:
I'm more worried about losing Hauck. If the Indians don't have the horses up front blocking, it's going to be a long night for whoever is running the ball. And Hauck was going to be the anchor.

+1...he was going to be a 3-year starter with good size and quickness...next man up...PN-G OLs have rarely just lined up and out-sized opponents...our kids will just have to use good technique, good positioning, and out work the other kids wearing different the other jerseys.

Go Indians. Peace.
Don't know why the quick exit. Could have been a star going into his Sr. year? I have a friend who's son is a third year starter for Vandergrif he tells me he is alternating 2/3rd spot OL. Late move in I guess.

This year looks bleak with young 1st year Qb, no Rb, no defense returners at the same position, recievers?
Anyone in the know have any insight. I only hear from work and the gym. No one involved that I know.

Hughes, Morris, LeJuene, Piekenbrook, Robinson, Hightower, Hammond, and Shults if he recovers, are all returning defensive starters. And a few others saw playing time. Those first three are as good as any in the district at their positions.

McZeal will be a force at WR if he can hang onto the ball, and McGough was pretty good last year. He's the receiver that had the long catch and run TD against Nederland. That play was called back on a bogus penalty.

Are any solid receivers or running backs coming up from JV?

bark

1,000+ Posts
It will be interesting. Pa News had only Lejune and Robinson ( both 2nd team all district) as only returning starters on defense.

Year 7 or so we need to do something. IMO. Realizing our limitations - height,weight and speed- we need a DC

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Don't forget Luke Morris. 2015 All-District and PA News Super team as a junior last year. He also played a lot as a sophomore. LeJeune should have been picked first team. The other defensive guys started at various times and/or played a lot.

ALL-DISTRICT 22-5A HONORS
Co-MVP: Adam Morse – Port Neches-Groves
Co-Coach of the Year: Brandon Faircloth – Port Neches-Groves

First Team
Offense
Receivers: Caisen Sullivan – Port Neches-Groves; Jack Giblin – Port Neches-Groves
Offensive guards – Tyler Moran – Port Neches-Groves
Kicker: Gunnar Nicholson – Port Neches-Groves

Defense
Defensive ends: Luke Morris – Port Neches-Groves
Outside linebackers: Anthony Anniboli – Port Neches-Groves
Cornerbacks: Cole Girouard – Port Neches-Groves

Second team
Offense
Running backs: Kody Cropper – Port Neches-Groves
Jace Runnels – Port Neches-Groves
Offensive tackles: Kyle Ardoin – Port Neches-Groves

Defense
Defensive tackles: Nick Valentine – Port Neches-Groves
Inside linebackers: Trey Rembert – Port Neches-Groves; Cole Robinson – Port Neches-Groves
Safeties: Bryce Meche – Port Neches-Groves; Logan LeJeune – Port Neches-Groves

90NDN

500+ Posts
So being realistic, where do we stack up this year? I guess we will know more once we scrimmage WO-S. Sucks living out of town during football season. Do we know yet if the Freshman QB has the inside edge at the starting positive yet?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I'm guessing the PNG defense with leaders like LeJeune, Hughes , Morris and names I'm probably overlooking might start off the season as the more experienced unit.

On offense Morse and former cohorts almost automatic 300 ypg and 12-18+ ppg passing will need to be filled in.

Someone will step up and make a difference.

90NDN

500+ Posts
IndianFan said:
I'm guessing the PNG defense with leaders like LeJeune, Hughes , Morris and names I'm probably overlooking might start off the season as the more experienced need unit.

On offense Morse and companies almost automatic 300 ypg and 12-18+ ppg passing will need to be filled in.

Someone will step up and make a difference.

Losing Morse will no doubt hurt early on, but hopefully by the time district gets underway, we will be hitting our stride. I'm hoping to make one game this year. Living in the North Dallas area gives me access to good high school games, but it's just not the same. I will probably attend a game at the new Frisco "Star" though this year.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I live in the Houston metro area and have attended Cy-Fair ISD, Katy Tigers, and The Woodlands games. All powerhouse 6a schools. They have nothing over a PNG home game experience. Home team game attendance is usually lower.

90NDN

500+ Posts
Katy's new stadium should be really nice...I'm curious how it will stick up to Allen's stadium .... I think it was more expensive? I saw the first game at Allen's stadium a few yrs back (Allen vs Southlake Carroll).

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Allen Eagle Stadium is quite a bit nicer than the new Katy ISD Stadium, which will seat 12,000. Allen's stadium capacity is 18,000.

KISD Stadium will be more equivalent to Berry Center in Cypress. Price tag ($61M) is only higher than Allen Eagle Stadium cost of $60M due to increased prices since 2012.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
90NDN said:
So being realistic, where do we stack up this year? I guess we will know more once we scrimmage WO-S. Sucks living out of town during football season. Do we know yet if the Freshman QB has the inside edge at the starting positive yet?

From the rumblings I've heard, the soon-to-be Soph QB will be just fine...he has athleticism we have not seen at the QB position in decades and all he needs is experience. I'm sure he will have a few growing pains, but he has the physical tools (legs and strong arm), he knows the offense and he has the ability to make the right reads to distribute the football, and he has a winner's mentality - he can shake off a bad play and move on to the next one. He is growing, but still a tad thin. That's OK, he is a Soph. He will have some playmakers to get the ball to, e.g., McZeal, McGough (spelling), Runnels (if he can make it back), Hughes, and others. The key this year will be solidifying the trenches on both sides of the ball. Without a solid OL, it will be hard to move the football. Without a scrappy DL, teams will run the ball on the Indians and wear them out. Remember what Angleton did last year? Run, run, pound, pound, pound...and in the second half, PN-G was worn out. I've heard depth will be a concern again this year. Seems the past few years, depth has been an issue. The Indians must avoid the injury bug and find a way to develop depth. There is some decent talent in the lower ranks to go with LeJeune, Morris, McZeal, et al. The Indians just have to be patient early on and develop some of the inexperienced kids. Central and PAM should be the favorites for the district title. Central will have an experienced and salty defense. It will be hard for anyone to move the ball on them this season. Not sure what they will have on offense, but they might be good enough on defense that it doesn't matter what they have on offense. They might win games 6-0, 13-0, or something similar. Because of the numbers pool, PAM should have an edge on most teams. PN-G and Nederland should battle it out for spots 3 and 4. PN-G should get better each week as the teams gels...presuming no injuries. Should be an interesting season.

Go Indians. Peace.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores