Defense

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
bark said:
squaw said:
I HATE to lose, but realize that we're going to be just fine. In case some of the posters don't know, the 75 team that won our last state championship was defeated in preseason play by South Houston. We played again in bi-district and overwhelmingly whipped them. This loss means nothing in the scheme of things. I'm kinda glad that the players now know how bad it feels to lose. I'd hate to be in Texas City
s shoes right not cause our boys will be fired up. So will the fans!

Yea, in fact we won 27 straight -2nd game of '75 then last (14th) game of '76.

For those that want to Faircloth is collecting donations for the "75 state champ. sign to be put up with '53 & '55. $5,000 is the number needed. I don't know how that figure is arrived at but those guys do.

Thank you for sharing that information...as an out-of-town alum, I appreciate it..I'll send Coach Faircloth my donation this week. Long overdue that we recognize the title winners in 53, 55, and 75.

Torino

500+ Posts
IndianFan said:
Honor Pride Tradition said:
Ok I'm 100% kidding but on a serious note I miss his defenses. A Burnett coached team never tackled this bad. I hope they work on tackling drills all week this week cause we owe Texas city from last season.

Coach Burnett was just one component. Cobb, Pachuka, and the other excellent coaches that were there deserve just as much credit.

Burnett's time is over.

Burnett's defenes were good the first few years we were in AAAA.

Port Neches-Groves 39 South Houston 0
Port Neches-Groves 30 Newton 6
Port Neches-Groves 49 Silsbee 9
Port Neches-Groves 7 Vidor 6
Port Neches-Groves 6 Lincoln 12
Port Neches-Groves 41 Little Cypress-Mauriceville 0
Port Neches-Groves 35 West Orange-Stark 7
Port Neches-Groves 17 Nederland 14
Port Neches-Groves 69 Lumberton 7
Port Neches-Groves 27 Bridge City 26
Port Neches-Groves 42 Livingston 8
Port Neches-Groves 7 Jacksonville 14

Port Neches-Groves 21 South Houston 17
Port Neches-Groves 21 Newton 14
Port Neches-Groves 27 Silsbee 0
Port Neches-Groves 34 Vidor 6
Port Neches-Groves 45 Lincoln 12
Port Neches-Groves 21 Little Cypress-Mauriceville 34
Port Neches-Groves 0 West Orange-Stark 35
Port Neches-Groves 7 Nederland 28
Port Neches-Groves 47 Lumberton 14
Port Neches-Groves 28 Bridge City 21

Port Neches-Groves 31 Kelly 14
Port Neches-Groves 25 Ozen 0
Port Neches-Groves 29 Silsbee 7
Port Neches-Groves 24 LC-M 6
Port Neches-Groves 42 Port Arthur Jefferson 14
Port Neches-Groves 44 Lincoln 7
Port Neches-Groves 35 Bridge City 0
Port Neches-Groves 12 West Orange-Stark 17
Port Neches-Groves 42 Vidor 6
Port Neches-Groves 28 Nederland 7
Port Neches-Groves 24 Dayton 45

Over the last 6 years he coached the defense produced 2 shutouts (both in 2007). The last year--2008--we didn't stop anyone except LCM.

Indian99

500+ Posts
Burnett was one to put alot of kids in when the score got out of hand towards the end of games...alot of those scores will be skewed; you can't really base it off of that entirely.

Pngindian99

Man I was a starter on the 98 defense I forgot how we shut everyone down. The WOS game was the best I was ever a part of. Losing on the one yard line as the clock ran out. We shut down folks except for that dayton game.

I watched the GP game and the Manvel game last year and it seems to me that the problem on D is the same as always, once we face team with speed and great athletes they seem to get the edge on us. I remember commenting to my dad last year vs GP how terrible the tackling was. It is truly a lost form.

On a positive note the offense is fun to watch similar to what we ran when i was in college.

bark

1,000+ Posts
Indian99 said:
Burnett was one to put alot of kids in when the score got out of hand towards the end of games...alot of those scores will be skewed; you can't really base it off of that entirely.
You are right Matt and Ethridge let 2nd and 3rd teamers play lots. Carl Frey and I had a saying in '75 "3QA" which meant 3rd quarter action. Every game we were up 21 points or more Doug pulled the starters and let us all in. Made parents and players happy. The only ones penalized were the stats of the stars. To which Ethridge would reply it's a team sport, that's why no names on jerseys -if your that good the fans will know who you are.

On that note, that was part of our super success in 74,75,76,77 we never missed a beat. One playoff game(76 season) Richey got hurt and Jackie Havard played QB and threw like 300 yds and a couple TD, started at safety, punted and was a leader on the field.

I don't recall if Faircloth did it against GP - I did not go. I would think 42 -zip everyone should have played.

pngdad8520

100+ Posts
bark said:
Indian99 said:
You are right Matt and Ethridge let 2nd and 3rd teamers play lots. Carl Frey and I had a saying in '75 "3QA" which meant 3rd quarter action. Every game we were up 21 points or more Doug pulled the starters and let us all in. Made parents and players happy. The only ones penalized were the stats of the stars. To which Ethridge would reply it's a team sport, that's why no names on jerseys -if your that good the fans will know who you are.

On that note, that was part of our super success in 74,75,76,77 we never missed a beat. One playoff game(76 season) Richey got hurt and Jackie Havard played QB and threw like 300 yds and a couple TD, started at safety, punted and was a leader on the field.

I don't recall if Faircloth did it against GP - I did not go. I would think 42 -zip everyone should have played.
4th quarter everyone played on D and O, Most if not all the starters did not play in the 4th.

bark

1,000+ Posts
Burnett was a defence guy and Faircloth is a Offense guy.

Matt had Long several years to depend on for the O

Faircloth needs to (and he may have) get a D guy to depend on.

HighChief2008

Every coach has their strengths and weaknesses. Many stay around long enough for everyone and their mom to find and use to either defeat them or to run them out of their position. I have a lot of faith in our current coaching staff and have just as much respect for them as much as I did MB when I played under him. That is all. :guns:

NDN79

500+ Posts
I for one think that entirely TOO MUCH is being made of 1 game!! Did we make some mistakes on defense / offense--yes. Can they be corrected--yes. 1 game does not a season make!! How many predicted doom and gloom after a slow start last season----plenty did!! What happened---they turned things around and made their deepest play-off run in years. The Indians will be fine--we all just need to focus on the positives, keep supporting and encouraging the team and coaches, and believe anything is possible on the reservation!! GO INDIANS!!!!!

Indian99

500+ Posts
Pngindian99 said:
Man I was a starter on the 98 defense I forgot how we shut everyone down. The WOS game was the best I was ever a part of. Losing on the one yard line as the clock ran out. We shut down folks except for that dayton game.

I watched the GP game and the Manvel game last year and it seems to me that the problem on D is the same as always, once we face team with speed and great athletes they seem to get the edge on us. I remember commenting to my dad last year vs GP how terrible the tackling was. It is truly a lost form.

On a positive note the offense is fun to watch similar to what we ran when i was in college.

We were pretty stout on those 98' and 99' defenses. There were hardly any missed tackles, and several headhunters on the field flying to the ball. Good times.

15PNG

500+ Posts
NDN79 said:
I for one think that entirely TOO MUCH is being made of 1 game!! Did we make some mistakes on defense / offense--yes. Can they be corrected--yes. 1 game does not a season make!! How many predicted doom and gloom after a slow start last season----plenty did!! What happened---they turned things around and made their deepest play-off run in years. The Indians will be fine--we all just need to focus on the positives, keep supporting and encouraging the team and coaches, and believe anything is possible on the reservation!! GO INDIANS!!!!!

Here here +1 :clap:

thetestament

Torino said:
IndianFan said:
Honor Pride Tradition said:
Ok I'm 100% kidding but on a serious note I miss his defenses. A Burnett coached team never tackled this bad. I hope they work on tackling drills all week this week cause we owe Texas city from last season.

Coach Burnett was just one component. Cobb, Pachuka, and the other excellent coaches that were there deserve just as much credit.

Burnett's time is over.

Burnett's defenes were good the first few years we were in AAAA.
Port Neches-Groves 39 South Houston 0
Port Neches-Groves 30 Newton 6
Port Neches-Groves 49 Silsbee 9
Port Neches-Groves 7 Vidor 6
Port Neches-Groves 6 Lincoln 12
Port Neches-Groves 41 Little Cypress-Mauriceville 0
Port Neches-Groves 35 West Orange-Stark 7
Port Neches-Groves 17 Nederland 14
Port Neches-Groves 69 Lumberton 7
Port Neches-Groves 27 Bridge City 26
Port Neches-Groves 42 Livingston 8
Port Neches-Groves 7 Jacksonville 14

Port Neches-Groves 21 South Houston 17
Port Neches-Groves 21 Newton 14
Port Neches-Groves 27 Silsbee 0
Port Neches-Groves 34 Vidor 6
Port Neches-Groves 45 Lincoln 12
Port Neches-Groves 21 Little Cypress-Mauriceville 34
Port Neches-Groves 0 West Orange-Stark 35
Port Neches-Groves 7 Nederland 28
Port Neches-Groves 47 Lumberton 14
Port Neches-Groves 28 Bridge City 21

Port Neches-Groves 31 Kelly 14
Port Neches-Groves 25 Ozen 0
Port Neches-Groves 29 Silsbee 7
Port Neches-Groves 24 LC-M 6
Port Neches-Groves 42 Port Arthur Jefferson 14
Port Neches-Groves 44 Lincoln 7
Port Neches-Groves 35 Bridge City 0
Port Neches-Groves 12 West Orange-Stark 17
Port Neches-Groves 42 Vidor 6
Port Neches-Groves 28 Nederland 7
Port Neches-Groves 24 Dayton 45

Over the last 6 years he coached the defense produced 2 shutouts (both in 2007). The last year--2008--we didn't stop anyone except LCM.

Actually you can look at the DC. Ken Cummings was the entire reason for "Burnett's" success. Cummings was the man!

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
NDN79 said:
+2...we have a game tomorrow night and another chance to get better and be ready for Livingston 9-23. While it is great to put one in the W column, pre-district is all about preparation for district games...the games that determine if you play an eleventh game.

bark

1,000+ Posts
thetestement, do you really think Cummins was the entire reason for Burnetts success? 16 years worth of coaching.

I noticed this was your 1st post. Did you play for Burnett?

Glad to have your insight. Welcome, if you have never posted under another name.

thetestament

bark said:
thetestement, do you really think Cummins was the entire reason for Burnetts success? 16 years worth of coaching.

Glad to have your insight. Welcome, if you have never posted under another name.

I played on the 94, 95 and 96 teams and I absolutely know it was Cummings who made the defense. He was a defensive genius. I can only remember one game where he was not at his best and it was the year after I graduated. His game planning was second to none.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
thetestament said:
bark said:

I played on the 94, 95 and 96 teams and I absolutely know it was Cummings who made the defense. He was a defensive genius. I can only remember one game where he was not at his best and it was the year after I graduated. His game planning was second to none.

I know a player who played in the same time frame and he feels the exact same way about Cummings. Excellent coach.

bark

1,000+ Posts

[/quote]

[/quote]

I know a player who played in the same time frame and he feels the exact same way about Cummings. Excellent coach.
[/quote]
I concede to the 2 folks who posted above. Cummins must have been the man and Matt was just a figure head.

As I was not there, I will go with your opinions. How Burnett pulled the wool over some peoples eye for 16 years is a testement to him.

hookem14

100+ Posts
I also played for Matt when he was a DC before he became the Head Coach. Although I would never say anything remotely bad about him as a man, (I think he is an awesome guy), he was not very good at coming up with game plans to stop our opponents and had no real idea how to come up with changing schemes or making adjustments at halftime to stop someone that was having success against us. I would be willing to bet most former players would say the same thing.

bark

1,000+ Posts
hookem14 said:
I also played for Matt when he was a DC before he became the Head Coach. Although I would never say anything remotely bad about him as a man, (I think he is an awesome guy), he was not very good at coming up with game plans to stop our opponents and had no real idea how to come up with changing schemes or making adjustments at halftime to stop someone that was having success against us. I would be willing to bet most former players would say the same thing.
I'll go with you guys It seems like that is the overall opinion.

Thanks for the insight, as I had no idea, I'm so old I was a 10th grade dummy team player against Matt his senior year ('74 season) I am not qualified to evaluate his coaching ability. I did not get a degree in PE, BBA Finance, nor have I ever made a living coaching - Little League only on my resume.

Go Indians!!

thetestament

hookem14 said:

I second that. Matt was/is a great man with great moral values. He was just not a great HC. If you go back and study the history of his tenure, then you will find that his best years were full of great talent. The talent level is what propelled those teams, not the coaching. I have always said that high school football is more about coaching rather than talent. Mainly because the talent level is not very much different from school to school.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores