Defense

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Curious to hear opinions... after watching portions of various playoff games on Texanlive.com, there's a noticeable difference in how teams play defense.

Physical size and speed can't be replicated, but some teams just play more aggressively.

Previous PN-G teams also played more aggressively. What has changed? Difference in scheme? Difference in practice routines?

twrpng

100+ Posts
Hypothetical here :::
What if you would have put Lane # 24 and Herbert # 23 at
Linebacker to help bost put Hughes and Stansbury at corner Riggs and Jackson at safety . What I'm saying is PNG just did t have enough athletes to feel spots at both defense and offense so the coaches pick their poison.. JMO

RoschonsBigBro

twrpng said:
Linebacker to help bost put Hughes and Stansbury at corner Riggs and Jackson at safety . What I'm saying is PNG just did t have enough athletes to feel spots at both defense and offense so the coaches pick their poison.. JMO
Stansbury was a safety last year. There is a reason he was a wr this year see the memorial, nederland, college station etc. from last year. I don't think those switches make much of a difference other than hughes really. You need Riggs on O and just cuz he is fast don't mean he can tackle. Riggs was best for png where he was. The other guys are you said are bigger especially lane but I see teams running by him just as easily as whoever was there.
Afree watching the team, imo it's a jimmys aND joes issue moreso than x and o. You can coach all u want but if you don't have the guys who can catch people, tackle them, or have basic awareNess off a play, nothing good will come from it. Other than roschon switching over, I don't see that much of a difference in the D. Just didn't have it this year. Maybe some new blood will change it.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
PN-G has never been a hotbed of D1 defensive talent. But the Indians have fielded some aggressive and tough defenses over the years. That's a reasonable expectation with the players here.

rodney12345678

100+ Posts
They havent had a good defense since burnett left, and they have had a good offense since then if they ever put it all together they will be tough. When they won state in 75 they didnt have a high powered offense but the defense and offense were balanced. Would love to see burnett come back as defensive coordinator and faircloth as offensive coordinator and head coach.

BMTSoulja1

Just to add to this, defense is, IMO, about scheme. You have a great scheme on Offense and its been working even before Shug...
I'm a firm believer in an attacking defense. Don't wait, but go get it.. you can't play the wait and see defense against high powered offense. I wonder how the Indian practices go with the first team defense...
I don't take d-1 talent to seal off angles and corners. It don't take d-1 talent to lead the ball carrier inside to be tackled by the LB.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
BMTSoulja1 said:
Just to add to this, defense is, IMO, about scheme. You have a great scheme on Offense and its been working even before Shug...
I'm a firm believer in an attacking defense. Don't wait, but go get it.. you can't play the wait and see defense against high powered offense. I wonder how the Indian practices go with the first team defense...
I don't take d-1 talent to seal off angles and corners. It don't take d-1 talent to lead the ball carrier inside to be tackled by the LB.

Bingo. Kids from PN and G are capable of playing stout defense. In the past the issue was with offensive scheme. Then Coach Faircloth arrived and successfully established an offensive system that now sets records every season. We need the same transformation on defense.

NDN76

MY DOG
Allright, here are my thoughts. The College Ststion game as the first of this season I went to, mainly listen remotely on Kool Radio. When the Defense cam out for their warmups, I thought "WOW, kind of small, are all the hosses still eating Lunch???" I then paid more attention to the Offensive Line warming up and noticed no real size there also. I know the Center was out and also a big Defensive player was in street cloths, but the rest were small. I don't think the Defensive Line averaged over 200 Pounds period. Then when play started I immediately noticed that the PNG Defensive Line was lining up about a full Yard OFF the line of scrimmage. This is a HUGE open space to leave open and was not corrected through the game. Never did they line up nose to nose. The next item is Tackling. When did putting your helmet and shoulders into the player's numbers get replaced with with trying to arm tackle off to the side. I could not count the number of times we thought we had the runner dead to rights just to have them step out of the arms and keep running. Granted the CS Quarter Back and their primary Running Back are talented and fast, but once they got 2 Yards past the Line they were gone with no Defender catching up at all.Now to the Offense. While RJ was excellent at running and Juking and Jiving, I expected way more in his passing. It seems he was just a bit too far on all his longer passes just overthrowing by a foot or so. On the other passes, he was hitting the Receivers in the hands and they were dropping the ball as if they were afraid if being hit. Therein lies the overwhelming impression I took away from this game. It was is if they were afraid of College Station and very nervous. So going forward my suggestions would be to bet some beef on the Lines. Maybe go to some of the rougher kids who have natural aggression and get them on the Team so they have an outlet to work off that aggression. Toughen up the Defense by getting rid of the Arm tackling and drilling relentlessly on tackling through the person. Teach them to push around the Offense that are against. On Offense we need to get way more consistancy in plays, especially passing. RJ has a wonderful arm and needs to mature into it and trust his receivers. I know it's been said ad nauseum, but while Offense DOES Win gamed, it is Defense that wins Championships. I am and always be a lifelong Indian. SCALP EM!!!

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
twrpng said:
I always thought Lane and Hebert could have helped the D in a part time role. Texarkana Pleasant Grove (where I moved from PN as a small child) uses 3 big OL as NG they rotate in part time.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (4-0)
vs.
Huntsville Hornets (3-1)

Friday, Oct. 4, 7:00PM

Huntsville ISD Stadium, Huntsville, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores