PN-G Indians 24, Huntsville Hornets 21

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Agreed. The Indians will focus on Splendora, West Fork, and Nederland before they get to Montgomery. One week at a time. Win each week...go 1-0 for that week. Mischeviously, as a fan who has never coached, I say bring on Montgomery and their run game (four weeks from now). The Indians have seen it thanks to LaPorte, MLC, and Huntsville. I'll keep saying, it is time for all the other teams to worry about what PN-G brings to the table, which is a whole lot of whip ass! Whatever a team does well, Chief Jospeh and Coach McDaniel take it away.

99JBBG

The last three games have helped PN-G grow and get better. Thank you La Porte, Montgomery Lake Creek, and Huntsville. All very good teams in different ways. LaPorte and Huntsville were physical with very good athletes. PN-G stood strong. The Indians can go toe-to-toe with anyone in the trenches and in a physical throw down. You will not "out tough" the Indians. The MLC game had the best QB/RB duo the Indians will see all seaon. PN-G found a way to win an explosive back-and-forth game. You will not "out finesse" the Indians. This team is finding its identity and discovering it can win in different ways. The Indians are finding their strengths. The Indians are going to be a tough out come playoff time. It's all coming together.

Any word on the status of #35, #27, and #2? They all went down with tough bumps last night. Hope they are all OK.

As an aside, fun fact from last night, Huntsville had the flashy LED lights. The flashed them, off-and-on when Huntsville scored. Kind of a strobe light feel. I thought about what was said on this message boad about PN-G's new lights. I think it would be groovy to have flashing purple and white lights after the Indians scored points. I'm not tech savvy, so I don't know how, or if, it is possible, but Huntsville's strobe light effect did make me think of the conversation on this message board about purple and white lights.

GO INDIANS!
I agree with this. I'm glad these tough games came early. It's a jump start. Last year these games were our 12th and 13th, respectively. This year they were 4th and 5th. Add in the revenge factor. Very good test of our metal.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
MLC's defense is Charmin soft. MLC plays man-to-man on the wide outs and they shoot the gaps. If the OL can plug those gaps and give the RBs a crease, adios...meet me in the end zone. Nederland's RB may have a huge night like #27 and #15 for PN-G. Ned's RB is very good. If Ned can get a few stops against Eli Morcos and Tyvann Byars, it's game on. If MLC's offense is firing on all cylinders, and Ned can't get a few stops, then I would favor MLC. It's hard to match them score for score. But, who knows? It may be another game where the last team with the ball wins the game.

Rez

I didn’t know Lake Creek was rolling out the Swiss Cheese defense package this year. Nederland gets them at home in 2 weeks and the Dogs have a shot. Could Lake Creek miss the playoffs? Just the thought of that is shocking to me.
I don’t think LC misses the playoffs, but they’ll need to right the ship before going to Nederland. If LC loses to Nederland and then has to face Huntsville the following week they’re looking at a steep hill. Still, if LC ends up even being the 4th seed it would be shocking. Still a lot of ball to play. No one is locked into their spot.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Agreed. A very bright note. #75 has good size. I had heard over the summer he would compete for a starting spot on the OL but with so many returning SR OL, all of which are likely all state candidates, it's hard to break into the starting line up. #75 and #77 rotate in when an OG or OT needs a break. Both of those young men have size and ability. #77 is tall. 6'5" or 6'6" or taller? The Indians have been blessed with OL talent over the past three or four years. The FGs and PATs were excellent last night. KO and KO return have been much improved. Other than the fake punt snafu, the PN-G special teams have been getting better and contributing to our Ws. There is a lot to be excited about for the purple and white! GO INDIANS!

100+ Posts
On a bright note, I did notice we switched the snapper on field goals to the sophomore lineman #75 and we didn't have any missed extra points this week. I know not really a huge point, but the missed extra points against lake creek were a gut punch. Glad to see we got that sorted out.
Last season there were at least 4 long snappers, and at least 3 of them didn't really want it.

It really is a skill position. A fine line between putting the ball into the punter or holder's hands or over their heads. My grandson could get the ball to the punter the fastest, like in 1 sec or so, but couldn't see, and so just went by feel. About 4 of 5 hikes were accurate, and he was always worried about that errant 5th one. There were other guys that were more accurate but the ball took 2 or 3 seconds to get to the punter. Whoever was most consistent and confident got the job, with the others as back-ups. Sometimes these types of skill positions can make or break a close game.

Last edited:

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Last comment I’ll make on the Huntsville game. I rewatched some of the game. Throughout and especially in the 4th quarter, the Huntsville defense was hurting and dragging. Several players were slow to get up after tackles or being blocked. A couple had to leave the field on different plays. Of course the Hornets were also hitting hard.

To do that against Huntsville, who is always a tough bunch, is an accomplishment. PNG’s offense is physically dominating.

I’m proud of the effort and results against that very tough Huntsville team. We may meet them again.

Eazy Money

There are college scholarships for deep snappers. I knew a kid playing D1 and that was his only job. Get you a tire swing and put it at about 15 yards and start practicing.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (4-0)
vs.
Huntsville Hornets (3-1)

Friday, Oct. 4, 7:00PM

Huntsville ISD Stadium, Huntsville, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores