PN-G Indians 24, Huntsville Hornets 21

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Our coach just led us to back to back state championship games. Winning the last one. We have currently won 20 games in a row going back to last year. We are currently 5-0 this year. Our coach is also 12-0 in one score games. It’s almost like he knows what he is doing…
And a handful of people can only complain. Over and over and over. Complaining. It's as though they literally cannot help themselves. It is truly mind boggling.
Nothing wrong with PN-G coaching. Stevie Wonder can see that. We've got the best of the best. 15-18 year old kids don't always execute perfectly and that's OK. It's high school football...and it's supposed to be fun. Winning is fun. 20 game win streaks are fun. Carrying around a state championship trophy is fun. Being everyone's game of the year is fun. 12-0 in one score games is fun (but not good for my high blood pressure). Watching our kids beat the other team + terrible officials + a blind clock operator is fun. The fake punt was frustrating and fans getting picky about not sticking with the run game to put Huntsville away is just football fans being fans. I pray every night that PN-G backs up a Brinks truck and gives Chief Joseph and Matt McDaniel whatever it takes to stay at PN-G for a long time. As long as they are walking the sidelines for the Indians, PN-G is going to win a lot of games. We have some emerging WRs. #16 is coming on. He had a great catch on the sideline stop route. I hope #35 is OK. Love his 100 mph motor!!! That was a physical game. Some our kids will be sore tonight and tomorrow. This team is coming together and finding ways to win. I bet our Indians are pretty salty over the next several weeks. We worry about what other teams are doing...other teams need worry about what PN-G is doing becasue the Indians are doing pretty darn good.

hookem14

100+ Posts
Nothing wrong with PN-G coaching. Stevie Wonder can see that. We've got the best of the best. 15-18 year old kids don't always execute perfectly and that's OK. It's high school football...and it's supposed to be fun. Winning is fun. 20 game win streaks are fun. Carrying around a state championship trophy is fun. Being everyone's game of the year is fun. 12-0 in one score games is fun (but not good for my high blood pressure). Watching our kids beat the other team + terrible officials + a blind clock operator is fun. The fake punt was frustrating and fans getting picky about not sticking with the run game to put Huntsville away is just football fans being fans. I pray every night that PN-G backs up a Brinks truck and gives Chief Joseph and Matt McDaniel whatever it takes to stay at PN-G for a long time. As long as they are walking the sidelines for the Indians, PN-G is going to win a lot of games. We have some emerging WRs. #16 is coming on. He had a great catch on the sideline stop route. I hope #35 is OK. Love his 100 mph motor!!! That was a physical game. Some our kids will be sore tonight and tomorrow. This team is coming together and finding ways to win. I bet our Indians are pretty salty over the next several weeks. We worry about what other teams are doing...other teams need worry about what PN-G is doing becasue the Indians are doing pretty darn good.
This community is going to end up getting something they do not want in the not to distant future…

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Very concern with assistance coaches getting penalized due to sideline behavior’s after bad calls. Our HC is the one who will get reprimanded by the UIL for his staff’s actions. Putting our boys at a disadvantage. These same adults would not tolerate a student athlete player being called for unsportsmanlike penalty that ended a promising drive. Players can sense the pressure coaches are placing on them selves. We expect back to back championships with the talent on this team.
I am PROUD of Chief Jeff Joseph and the assistant coaches who ripped the side judge and referee. Don't tell us one thing and then do another. Don't tell our coaching staff that the Indians can run out the clock in the 3Q and then throw a flag with one second left because your officiating crew is too lazy to communicate. Don't extend a play after the Indians sack the QB, the referee blows the whistle, but then allows the Huntsville QB to throw the ball away and save 20-yards. It took the officiating crew two plays to discover the play clocks weren't working. On that second play, the officials penalized PN-G for delay of game...one play clock had zero, the other still had 14 or 15 seconds on it. I'll take a 15-yard penalty for our coaches to stick up for our players. A little Dan Hooks, or Jimmy Johnson, or Chief Jeff Joseph rant is OK with me.

Last edited:

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
MaxPreps is DFW area teams focused. DFW teams beat each other but don’t move out of the top ten. Strength of Schedule not won lost record.

MaxPreps leaped frog Arlington Seguin over PNG. This week on Thursday A. Seguin lost by 2 TDs to a 2-3 district DFW team ranked 20th? Lovejoy (Dodge HC) beat Melissa tonight watch both DFW teams go up in the MaxPrep rankings. again strength of schedule? Other teams across the state are ignored. Computer Program does not have entries for pride honor and tradition. PNG is 12-0 in games decided by one score are less since 2022. Garbage input into computer program garbage output. There must be a manual computer switch to enter DFW human bias. I no longer put any stock in MaxPrep.
I never put much stock in rankings, especially in High School. It’s fun to be highly ranked but who really cares how talking heads or computers view us. The game is played on the field. Additionally, I don’t mind being an underdog.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Players can sense the pressure coaches are placing on them selves. We expect back to back championships with the talent on this team.
I respectfully disagree. I'm not knocking your opinion. My own belief is most PN-G fans expect our kids to play to the best of their ability and to uphold PN-G's core values of Honor, Pride, and Tradition. If you win, great. If you win 20-games in a row, great. If you win the whole thing, great. I'm not sure everyone expects back-to-back state championships. It would be nice. I wouldn't give back the trophy, but I don't expect it. I expect our kids and coaches to enjoy the ride and have fun.

hookem14

100+ Posts
I respectfully disagree. I'm not knocking your opinion. My own belief is most PN-G fans expect our kids to play to the best of their ability and to uphold PN-G's core values of Honor, Pride, and Tradition. If you win, great. If you win 20-games in a row, great. If you win the whole thing, great. I'm not sure everyone expects back-to-back state championships. It would be nice. I wouldn't give back the trophy, but I don't expect it. I expect our kids and coaches to enjoy the ride and have
Precisely. And as far as expecting back to back state championships with the talent on this team, there are probably at least 20 teams in our classification with more talent than us. Anyone that knows football knows there is way more into championship teams than talent alone. Especially back to back. We are way down the food chain in talent. Same as last years team. I’ll take several more variables that go into winning over talent any day!

Rez

MaxPreps is DFW area teams focused. DFW teams beat each other but don’t move out of the top ten. Strength of Schedule not won lost record.

MaxPreps leaped frog Arlington Seguin over PNG. This week on Thursday A. Seguin lost by 2 TDs to a 2-3 district DFW team ranked 20th? Lovejoy (Dodge HC) beat Melissa tonight watch both DFW teams go up in the MaxPrep rankings. again strength of schedule? Other teams across the state are ignored. Computer Program does not have entries for pride honor and tradition. PNG is 12-0 in games decided by one score are less since 2022. Garbage input into computer program garbage output. There must be a manual computer switch to enter DFW human bias. I no longer put any stock in MaxPrep.
I honestly am learning for the first time that anyone even noticed the MaxPreps rankings. They’re in la la land. Might as well assign a fortune cookie to rank the teams.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The PNG coaches had every reason to object to the ridiculous officiating last night. The Indians were on the receiving end of calls that were shaping the game. I’m going to take the high road and say the officials were just using poor judgement rather than trying to help Huntsville. The delay of game calls and the ball spot after the QB sack were the worst that come to mind. Thank you coach Joseph and others who fought for the team to try and turn that tide. After that penalty there was a difference in the determination level of the team. They understood that it would take a supreme effort to overcome that situation on top of playing a very good opponent. That run by Chatagnier was evidence of that fighting spirit. He refused to go down until he had a first down. Thank you coaches for fighting for your team.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I honestly am learning for the first time that anyone even noticed the MaxPreps rankings. They’re in la la land. Might as well assign a fortune cookie to rank the teams.
Maxpreps is a for profit outfit owned by CBS (2007). That was the kiss of death. Their rankings are bird cage liner.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Blatant example.

QB was sacked. Official is raising his arm and blowing the whistle to call the play over. The knee was down and he possesses the ball. The ball should be spotted at least at the 38 or 37 yard line.

IMG_9843.png

IMG_9845.png

Next play, the ball was spotted at the 49. The sack was ignored. Terrible call.
IMG_9847.png

Also notice how the clock kept running. Not sure if that was in sync with the game clock.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
The runs by #15 to get the go ahead TD and then to get the first down to try and close out the game (with no help from a "broken" play clock) were two of the most physical runs I've seen in high school football. He refused to go down and he delivered some blows to the defenders. I'm not sure what lit his fire, but he ran with a mean streak. Fans at the game could hear his pads popping on those two runs. I had to clean my binoculars...I thought Larry Czonka (1972 Miami Dolphins) was playing for PN-G. Incredible effort by #15.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I respectfully disagree. I'm not knocking your opinion. My own belief is most PN-G fans expect our kids to play to the best of their ability and to uphold PN-G's core values of Honor, Pride, and Tradition. If you win, great. If you win 20-games in a row, great. If you win the whole thing, great. I'm not sure everyone expects back-to-back state championships. It would be nice. I wouldn't give back the trophy, but I don't expect it. I expect our kids and coaches to enjoy the ride and have fun.
Right there with you on that opinion. The talent level here is good enough to win the title with these coaches. And we are much better with Coach Joseph, Coach McDaniel and the assistants. But overall our athletic talent is slightly above average at best. But we are loaded with positive intangibles. We should never, ever forget that. All coaches can be questioned at times. We are blessed to have this staff and that should never be forgotten. Coming up against quality opponents is not a reason to question everything. Bottom line the Indians beat two very good teams 2 weeks in a row.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Very concern with assistance coaches getting penalized due to sideline behavior’s after bad calls. Our HC is the one who will get reprimanded by the UIL for his staff’s actions. Putting our boys at a disadvantage. These same adults would not tolerate a student athlete player being called for unsportsmanlike penalty that ended a promising drive. Players can sense the pressure coaches are placing on them selves. We expect back to back championships with the talent on this team.
It was ridiculous throwing a sportsmanship call. Much of the officiating was ridiculous all night.

Coach Joseph was arguing a valid point. I’m glad he made the effort to set them straight. He is passionate and standing up for the team.

Thanks for the continued passionate posts. We are all fanatics after all.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
This community is going to end up getting something they do not want in the not to distant future…

We have the best HC and DC in the state. There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism. This team has potential and hope we make some necessary adjustments before the playoffs. We need to add more of a passing game to go with the running game. We also need better physical play from our DB’s. We miss Droddy and Richard and what they brought to the team. Offensively we need another Adams or Johnson with the wildcat.

bandkid

Staff member
I agree with the concerns expressed about the sideline personal foul call. That is clearly on the coaches and needs to be addressed, even if I think Joseph's objections were justified.

That aside, we’ve had 37 games to observe the Jeff Joseph-coached Port Neches-Groves Indians. By now, we know a few things about Joseph’s style of coaching. One is that he likes to get conservative with the play-calling when the Indians are up by two or more possessions in the second half. Remember the Lake Creek game in the playoffs last year? We were up big at halftime and held on to win by a field goal running a much more conservative offense in the second half. Why does Joseph do that? In short, he’s keeping his powder dry. The more conservative we are throughout the season, the less opposing coaches can pick out of our game film to prepare for. That’s why teams like SOC don’t see on-side kicks coming late in the fourth quarter of a state championship.

Another thing we should all know by now is that Joseph likes his run-first, ball control offense in general, irrespective of who has the lead. It helps keep the defense fresh, it wears down opposing defensive lines, and it also loosens up opposing defenses’ pass coverage for when we need to throw the ball.

The last and most important thing we should all know by now is that Joseph-coached PN-G teams always improve from week to week. That was apparent to me this week, too, and I have no reason to believe that will not continue to happen.

Jeff Joseph is now 33-4 (.892) at PN-G. If I’m not mistaken (I don’t have my copy of DTOV with me to doublecheck), that’s the second best record through 37 games of any coach in PN-G history, behind only Gene McCollum and even besting Doug Etheridge. Through a little over two seasons, he has a district title, two regional titles, two state championship appearances, and a state title to his credit. Under his leadership, the Indians are running a 20 game win streak--the second longest in school history--and ranked #1 in the state for the first time in decades. He is undefeated through his first twelve one-score games as a head coach, which I suspect is a state record. He’s certainly got the rest of the state’s attention. What’s more, this is his first season at PN-G to run undefeated through the first half of the regular season--and three of his five wins this season are over state-ranked teams, one of those teams being a division above our own. For the first time at least since I was in elementary school, the term "powerhouse" is coming up in conversations around the state about PN-G football.

We have no real reason to question the man’s decision-making. I personally think we have the Nick Saban of Texas high school football on our sideline. Y'all know I don't say that lightly. Count your blessings.

PS: Blair Chatagnier is a man among men.

Last edited:

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with the concerns expressed about the sideline personal foul call. That is clearly on the coaches and needs to be addressed.

That aside, we’ve had 37 games to observe the Jeff Joseph-coached Port Neches-Groves Indians. By now, we know a few things about Joseph’s style of coaching. One is that he likes to get conservative with the play-calling when the Indians are up by two or more possessions in the second half. Remember the Lake Creek game in the playoffs last year? We were up big at halftime and held on to win by a field goal running a much more conservative offense in the second half. Why does Joseph do that? In short, he’s keeping his powder dry. The more conservative we are throughout the season, the less opposing coaches can pick out of our game film to prepare for. That’s why teams like SOC don’t see on-side kicks coming late in the fourth quarter of a state championship.

Another thing we should all know by now is that Joseph likes his run-first, ball control offense in general, irrespective of who has the lead. It helps keep the defense fresh, it wears down opposing defensive lines, and it also loosens up opposing defenses’ pass coverage for when we need to throw the ball.

The last and most important thing we should all know by now is that Joseph-coached PN-G teams always improve from week to week. That was apparent to me this week, too, and I have no reason to believe that will not continue to happen.

Jeff Joseph is now 33-4 (.892) at PN-G. If I’m not mistaken (I don’t have my copy of DTOV with me to doublecheck), that’s the second best record through 37 games of any coach in PN-G history, behind only Gene McCollum and even besting Doug Etheridge. Through a little over two seasons, he has a district title, two regional titles, two state championship appearances, and a state title to his credit. Under his leadership, the Indians are running a 20 game win streak—the second longest in school history—and ranked #1 in the state for the first time in decades. He is undefeated through his first twelve one-score games as a head coach, which I suspect is a state record. He’s certainly got the rest of the state’s attention. What’s more, this is his first season at PN-G to run undefeated through the first half of the regular season.

We have no real reason to question the man’s decision-making. I personally think we have the Nick Saban of Texas high school football on our sideline. Y’all count your blessings.

PS: Blake Chatagnier is a man among men.

DTOV records ended in the 90s. The web site is kept up to date. Just add 5 wins to JJ’s total.

bandkid

Staff member
DTOV records ended in the 90s. The web site is kept up to date.

I stand corrected. McCollum was 26-7 at the end of his third season and 27-14 at the end of his fourth. That means Joseph has the best record of any coach in PN-G history through 37 games.

Just one more way he's made history at PN-G.

Reactions: CS

hookem14

100+ Posts
We have the best HC and DC in the state. There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism. This team has potential and hope we make some necessary adjustments before the playoffs. We need to add more of a passing game to go with the running game. We also need better physical play from our DB’s. We miss Droddy and Richard and what they brought to the team. Offensively we need another Adams or Johnson with the wildcat.
I wasn’t speaking of constructive criticism. I was speaking about people that only seem to criticize exclusively. And as fas as bringing up players from last years team, they are gone. No longer here. This is a new team. We have to support the actual players fighting on the field this year. Bringing up any player not currently on this roster is beyond meaningless. It serves no purpose whatsoever!

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (4-0)
vs.
Huntsville Hornets (3-1)

Friday, Oct. 4, 7:00PM

Huntsville ISD Stadium, Huntsville, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores