District 8-5A Standings - Week 9

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
PN-G has yet to fire on all cylinders but remains good enough to stay undefeated. Defensive lapses continue to be the greatest weakness.

Huntsville keeps chugging along.

Montgomery remains a threat to any team.

Nederland belied it's critics and is in position to make the playoffs.

Lake Creek falls yet again. They are not the team that everyone expected.

Splendora, West Fork and Dayton continue to be overwhelmed by the top teams.

Eazy Money

Still not sure of the 3 way tiebreaker rules, that would be good to know. But looks like PNG, Montgomery, and Nederland should be in the playoffs at this point. Huntsville still has Road games against Lake Creek and Nederland to play, which is the only chance now for Lake Creek to get in.

Rez

Still not sure of the 3 way tiebreaker rules, that would be good to know. But looks like PNG, Montgomery, and Nederland should be in the playoffs at this point. Huntsville still has Road games against Lake Creek and Nederland to play, which is the only chance now for Lake Creek to get in.
Montgomery could still technically lose its last three and Lc would be in as long as they win out (would have to beat Huntsville). If Montgomery only loses two of the last three they’d still have the tie breaker over LC. PNG or Ned can lose the last three and still be in over LC. Huntsville would have to lose to Ned and Lc to miss.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
So, I’m not taking anything away from Nederland because they’ve improved A LOT, and definitely look LEGIT! However…I could be wrong, but MLC seems to be one of those teams that can’t rebound after a difficult loss because they just don’t look like the same team we saw! Kinda reminds me of FBM…they rolled into The Reservation last season wanting revenge after losing to us in the playoffs and when that didn’t happen…they just imploded…lost to TC, got BEAT DOWN by a struggling Nederland team, and knocked out by Randle in the first round of the playoffs!
Just my observation for whatever it’s worth!

Last edited:

Rez

So, I’m not taking anything away from Nederland because they’ve improved A LOT, and definitely look LEGIT! However…I could be wrong, but MLC just seems like one of those teams that can’t rebound after a difficult loss because they just don’t look like the same team we saw! Kinda reminds me of FBM…they rolled into The Reservation last season wanting revenge after losing to us in the playoffs and when that didn’t happen…they just imploded…lost to TC, got BEAT DOWN by a struggling Nederland team, and knocked out by Randle in the first round of the playoffs!
That’s probably part of it. As a program, they have no experience overcoming losses to play well later. 2022 was their first good season, and their only losses came in the playoffs. Losing at all in district is uncharted territory for this group, and then losing two in a row was absolutely not where they thought they would be.

I also think they create a matchup problem for themselves on defense that any decent team can exploit, no matter what their record is. They basically set themselves up where one guy will have a chance to make a play, and if he misses the tackle no one else will be in position to do it. Nederland just had to wait for their chance , and LC gave it to them.

Last edited:

Eazy Money

Lake Creek was 10-0 both of the last 2 years in the regular season. They could be looking at 5-5 this year. Hard to believe with Byers and Morcos back this year. They were virtually a playoff lock. But if your defense can’t hold teams below 40, it’s a problem. Teams have also figured out how to neutralize Byers and get some stops.

bandkid

Staff member
I said on a certain other messageboard last night that one should never underestimate the Montgomery County sense of entitlement. I will add here today that one should never underestimate Montgomery County overconfidence, either. There’s not a lot of experience overcoming real adversity in that neck of the woods. The way the MLC coach talks about their opponents exemplifies the broader cultural problem.

I guarantee y’all there are folks in Montgomery County fuming over the fact that two Golden Triangle teams are currently leading the district race today.

Rez

I said on a certain other messageboard last night that one should never underestimate the Montgomery County sense of entitlement. I will add here today that one should never underestimate Montgomery County overconfidence, either. There’s not a lot of experience overcoming real adversity in that neck of the woods. The way the MLC coach talks about their opponents exemplifies the broader cultural problem.

I guarantee y’all there are folks in Montgomery County fuming over the fact that two Golden Triangle teams are currently leading the district race today.
I’m sure they hate it and it makes me happy. They were good for exactly two seasons and immediately started running up the score on weak teams. Last night the first time a call didn’t go their way they started screaming swear words. I’m not offended by profanity, but in my experience people at high school football games tend to do a good job keeping their language clean. There’s small children at these games. These millionaires can’t fathom the idea that their precious little beauties aren’t the bestest most special angels in the world.

19PNGndn68

So, I’m not taking anything away from Nederland because they’ve improved A LOT, and definitely look LEGIT! However…I could be wrong, but MLC seems to be one of those teams that can’t rebound after a difficult loss because they just don’t look like the same team we saw! Kinda reminds me of FBM…they rolled into The Reservation last season wanting revenge after losing to us in the playoffs and when that didn’t happen…they just imploded…lost to TC, got BEAT DOWN by a struggling Nederland team, and knocked out by Randle in the first round of the playoffs!
I agree with your assessment of MLC and FBM. Pride cometh before the Fall. Have to respect Huntsville. I expected the same outcome would befall Huntsville after the narrow loss to PNG. Huntsville's next week convincing win over Montgomery spoke volumes about their resilient character. I pity their next district opponents.

19PNGndn68

I’m sure they hate it and it makes me happy. They were good for exactly two seasons and immediately started running up the score on weak teams. Last night the first time a call didn’t go their way they started screaming swear words. I’m not offended by profanity, but in my experience people at high school football games tend to do a good job keeping their language clean. There’s small children at these games. These millionaires can’t fathom the idea that their precious little beauties aren’t the bestest most special angels in the world.
There must be an underlying MLC issue with the small participation in varsity numbers and subsequent lack in game roster depth.

When MLC went 12-1 in 2022 they were beaten in playoffs 55-18 by FBM with MLC scoring late in the 4th Q against FBM reserves with a lot of penalties. MLC “faithful” only remember the lasting embarrassment of the 2022 season. The previous week in the 2022 playoffs MLC beat Leander Rouse 78-19. Karma is a revenge dish best served cold.

Reactions: Rez

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (6-0)
vs.
West Fork Gators (2-4)

Friday, Oct. 18, 7:00PM

Randall Reed Stadium, New Caney, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores