Dream of the Future Revisited: Multipurpose Indoor Facility

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
In 2010 a serious effort to plan and build an indoor practice facility was alive and well. With $500,000+ in donations, booster club funds and budget money at hand, the original goal was a 50 yard enclosed field with no AC. The original site of interest was eventually nixed because of water and sewer lines underground, and the last planned location was across from the bus maintenance building where the buses are currently parked. With rising construction costs, the available money was only sufficient to build a 35-yard facility. Hardly acceptable to anyone.

One of the cool things about having a dedicated message board for 23 years is we can go back and revisit topics and conversations form years ago. 13 years ago we were discussing the initial effort to build an all purpose facility.

I don't take credit for any influence, ideas or results in the past or recent times, but this thread suggested a decent idea that started some conversations and actions back in 2010.

How close was this becoming a reality? This 2014 news report was exciting to read.

A 2015 story explains how the plans began to unravel.

And finally an article explaining the end of the efforts.

Now that the new schools are a reality, it's time for a renewed effort. A multi-purpose facility built on the band practice field would be a great spot within easy walking distance of the high school and field house. Band and all sports could use it as a refuge from the hot Texas sun. It could even be used as a community space for some events. Industry, local business, fans, deep pocketed alums, and creative fund raising ideas could make it happen. No other district in Texas needs or deserves it more than PNGISD.

15PNG

500+ Posts
I've been to camps around the Austin area at schools who do not have money and poor neighborhoods. Somehow, they have amazing indoor facilities and a nice stadium. Just doesn't make sense.

90NDN

500+ Posts
That article you referenced indicated costs etc, but I was under the assumption (based on another post) that we had the funding and the issue was the location?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I've been to camps around the Austin area at schools who do not have money and poor neighborhoods. Somehow, they have amazing indoor facilities and a nice stadium. Just doesn't make sense.
Redistribution of tax funds from wealthy districts?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
That article you referenced indicated costs etc, but I was under the assumption (based on another post) that we had the funding and the issue was the location?
"By May, trustees decided to reject all bids for the project. Bids ranged from $773,750 to $885.000 for the 35-yard sized facility. Board members voiced concern that to construct the no frills, small version of the facility would be an embarrassment, a disappointment and disrespect to the donors."

Good decision by the board to kill the 35 yard facility. Nothing more than an expensive, large metal building with roll up doors and not enough room to fit all needs.

90NDN

500+ Posts
I wonder how much the nicer facility would have cost and did we have the funds for that from donor?

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Just saying
That far away sort of defeats the purpose
DOES create shade
But they won’t go there during a storm usually

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Not ideal but options are limited. A lot of teams have to walk or travel to their facilities. UT Austin will be getting rid of their old bubble after they complete their new indoor facility. Maybe RJ can go to bat and talk them into donating or selling it to PNGISD. :D

That seems like a lame design for UT. They can afford to do better than that.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Lightning and shade are the two most important factors (everyone’s practiced and played in the rain)(in fact your coach might take advantage of a rain for a practice)
And really … you can still be struck by lightning in a metal building (although it might be a better outcome than just being struck out in the open (when I was in /college/ I think the kid from Tyler got killed when lightning struck the SPRINKLER SYSTEM)(it jumped off the metal pipes and got him if I remember correctly) (Tyler Lee/Legacy I believe) so you’re probably not even going into this building when there’s a storm
So. We’re left with shade and heat
So - what about the soccer style shade canopies over the existing stadium ?
Would that help shade the field some at practice time ?? (maybe game time)
Just wood shedding the question
If that was an option it would be dual use for players AND for fans.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
IMG_8753.jpeg
Not a good winter solution but large fans would suffice to move air in the summer. Overall still expensive and not ideal. But better than no shade or cover over the practice field.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
To me if you can strategically shade even parts of the field and stands for time of day etc
That has a high value and also somewhat solves some of the real estate issues

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores