Final: Nederland 38, PN-G 28

Torino

500+ Posts
I doubt Jerry Vance (Liberty Hill) or Phil Danaher (Calallen) were ever coming to PN-G in 2009. The school board made the right hire when it hired Coach Faircloth. When he decides to leave PN-G, the armchair coaches will find the TXHS coaching landscape has changed. It's not 1973 or 2009. Too many districts across the state have growing student populations, new facilities, and high pay. Several have loyal and large fan bases. On top of that, the whole PC crowd angry about the mascot name will make things uncomfortable for applicants. I have my doubts top-notch experienced coaches will apply. Unless PN-GISD decides to throw large sums of money around ala Barbers Hill, the applicant pool may not be that deep or impressive. Be careful what you ask for...1984-1988 could be right around the corner.
Danaher was interested in PN-G because he wanted to break the record for most coaching wins and he thought there was better material here than Calallen. But, the Calallen stadium was about to be named for him. And, he may have leveraged the situation for a raise (just don't recall).

Last edited:

Indian99

500+ Posts
Just an FYI - Faircloth’s kids will be out of school in about 3 years. Enjoy him while you have him, because he will not have any ties (family wise) to keep him from leaving after that.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Would be unfortunate if any Nederland fan clowns (not all qualify for clown status) read this talk about coaching and perceive some satisfaction or responsibility for it. Not the case. Indians were on track to win the game by 2 TDs at a minimum. Take away the bogus fumble run and TD aided by 2 blocks in the back, and the interceptions which were self inflicted, and it’s a comfortable win.

In a MCM game the tide of momentum can become a tsunami. PN-G was driving easily towards a probable 35-14 lead. Then the bottom fell out, the fumble, interceptions and other mistakes turned the tide. Young team may be more susceptible to the pressure.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I can tell you that some of the top 2A, 3A and 4A coaches in Texas were unofficially contacted in 2009 and none responded. They were told about the $120 million bond, the $10 million stadium renovation, great schools for their kids, etc. and they never applied. As a person who has lived in several parts of the state, PN-G HS doesn't mean much 100 miles away from here--particularly since the 70s.
No doubt it means more to alumni but PNG is a known name across the state by coaches, especially the more recognizable years where record setting crowds followed the teams everywhere. But as time continues those people are fewer and fewer. And what have you done lately is the focus. Still, there is a depth to the PNG situation that is not easily found. I’ve seen plenty of big time 6A games including one of the top programs in the state. The game experience is not equivalent to PN-G nor is the fan following in most cases. But as mentioned, the PC police and cancel culture is at the door re the Indian theme. They will not rest until everyone is as miserable as they are.

Bigdog

The Dog
Would be unfortunate if any Nederland fan clowns (not all qualify for clown status) read this talk about coaching and perceive some satisfaction or responsibility for it. Not the case. Indians were on track to win the game by 2 TDs at a minimum. Take away the bogus fumble run and TD aided by 2 blocks in the back, and the interceptions which were self inflicted, and it’s a comfortable win.

In a MCM game the tide of momentum can become a tsunami. PN-G was driving easily towards a probable 35-14 lead. Then the bottom fell out, interceptions and other mistakes turned the tide. Young team may be more susceptible to the pressure.

Fumbles , INTs and missed calls are all part of the game. Funny how they aren't mentioned when the game is won instead of lost. ;)

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Fumbles , INTs and missed calls are all part of the game. Funny how they aren't mentioned when the game is won instead of lost. ;)

Ned had the best player. He made the plays. Credit to Ned. Dogs turned mistakes by the Indians into points. Tip of the cap to Nederland this year. As the old saying goes, "just wait until next year...!!!" :)

Good luck Ned on the rest of the season. PN-G...hit the reset button, get back to work, and grind out Ws to get into the playoffs. It can happen. Need to play clean games...no mistakes. Go Indians.

Bigdog

The Dog
Ned had the best player. He made the plays. Credit to Ned. Dogs turned mistakes by the Indians into points. Tip of the cap to Nederland this year. As the old saying goes, "just wait until next year...!!!" :)

Good luck Ned on the rest of the season. PN-G...hit the reset button, get back to work, and grind out Ws to get into the playoffs. It can happen. Need to play clean games...no mistakes. Go Indians.
Good luck the rest of the year, I think you guys will best Dayton this week.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
You mean like the 1974 TD catch that Aguillard made for the win? The play that Nederland fans for years claimed robbed them of the playoffs and tainted the Indians playoff run? :)
Sure we do. Matt Burnett just talked about that play in his podcast. It's a part of the history of the game. Dissecting a game down to the play and talking about the impact has nothing to do with being pragmatic. If you don't want to hear pro-PNG comments then don't read them. If you do you'll also see that we mention the gaffs after wins as well. I'm also going to point out the thin line between winning and losing in support of the team and coaches I support. That's what fans do. There are some good wins ahead for PN-G.

Torino

500+ Posts
You mean like the 1974 TD catch that Aguillard made for the win? The play that Nederland fans for years claimed robbed them of the playoffs and tainted the Indians playoff run? :)
Sure we do. Matt Burnett just talked about that play in his podcast. It's a part of the history of the game. Dissecting a game down to the play and talking about the impact has nothing to do with being pragmatic. If you don't want to hear pro-PNG comments then don't read them. If you do you'll also see that we mention the gaffs after wins as well. I'm also going to point out the thin line between winning and losing in support of the team and coaches I support. That's what fans do. There are some good wins ahead for PN-G.
Matt Burnett has a podcast?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Matt Burnett has a podcast?

Interviewed by Buck Ford and Brad Burnett. Great stuff!

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Those podcasts are excellent! All of them. The Launch, Wade Phillips, Mike Simpson, Barbara Comeaux, Jeff Bergeron, Brad and Matt Burnett, Lew Ford.... Awesome! I highly recommend listening to them. Save them. Buck Ford and Brad Burnett did an excellent job moderating/asking questions. Wow! Thanks for finding and sharing them.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores