Final: Nederland 38, PN-G 28

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
See the fire Faircloth talk starting on the other site.
No thanks. Too much big mouth trash talking, hate mongers, ads and tracking on that site. ;)

Coaches don’t play the game, don’t fumble, don’t throw interceptions, don’t miss tackles, don’t miss calling penalties, etc. The emotional response is expected but calling for the head coaches head is extreme.

All the pot stirring experts need to write up a game plan and email it to the real coaches. They’ll get a good laugh out of that.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
And for the record, I support Faircloth. My comments about playing better and calling the right plays are generic football fan comments. The team self destructed last night and the reasons are myriad. But bottom line players perform at every level, not the coaches.

If Coach Faircloth leaves someday it will be his choice and for a better opportunity.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
I don’t want to lose Faircloth, but think he needs to change the way he coaches at times. Put more emphasis on Defense including 2 way players and have a deeper rotation. Lots of good sized kids standing on sidelines. Think the past couple years he’s given in to the purple pressure to play favorites.

And no my kids graduated YEARS ago!! Just an observant fan whose played college ball.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
Also what’s up with our special teams this year? Especially Punt and kickoff returners? Also why are we pouch kicking when we have a kicker that can kick thru end zone?

Torino

500+ Posts
A team must place its players on the field. I have no idea how many players should play both ways.
But: From the Beaumont Enterprise
WR/DB Kyndon Fuselier, Nederland Fuselier was the best player on the field in Friday night’s Mid-County Madness game, getting it done on both sides of the ball. In the first half, he recovered a fumble and returned it 70 yards for a touchdown that tied the game at 14. Later, with the game on the line in the fourth quarter, Fuselier hauled in a 34-yard touchdown to give Nederland its first lead of the game. He finished with 81 yards receiving, 47 rushing and the two scores. t:

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I suspect that if there was an obvious situation where PNG has a phenomenal athlete that could make that much difference, it would happen. RJ and Bost saw a few plays on the other side of the ball but not many.

Interesting observation after reviewing some of the plays, on that long fumble return by number 8 for a TD, the play should have been called back. Nederland’s #52 was not flagged for a block in the back on Wallace that pushed him to the ground. No room for argument, blatant push not called. Another questionable push in the back by #6 knocking #77 Jeff Carter to the ground during the run. At a minimum that play should have been a penalty from the point of the first infraction which was Nederland's 39 yard line. The fumble return should have been called back. If the officials had gotten that right the momentum shift is much less impactful. The football gods were on the side of Nederland that night.

bark

1,000+ Posts
I don’t want to lose Faircloth, but think he needs to change the way he coaches at times. Put more emphasis on Defense including 2 way players and have a deeper rotation. Lots of good sized kids standing on sidelines. Think the past couple years he’s given in to the purple pressure to play favorites.

And no my kids graduated YEARS ago!! Just an observant fan whose played college ball.
Why would you not want to lose Faicloth? Surely, you must concede there are much more experienced coaches- isn’t this Faircloths 1st HC job? Surely, you must agree there are lots of coaches with more success than Faircloth? I believe He is a good guy and good for the program. However, his belief that HIS Qb can beat your entire team only works with a Morse, Johnson, Bost, etc... we need a multi faceted attack, in my opinion. May be change coming?
Last I’m gonna comment on it. Traveling the next 30 days. Hope it turns out well for the kids

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The offensive approach has proven to be well balanced this year. The running backs are getting 20-25+ carries per game and Crippen is attempting to distribute the ball. Every team wants great QB play, few have had the success that the Indians have developing the QB and that’s a great thing. Crippen needs some time to improve. PNG is running the same RPO type of offense that is all the rage at the college level.
The offense was chewing up Nederland’s defense. Run and pass. If they can do that every week minus the glitches this team will rock and roll. The score against Nederland could have EASILY been PNG 42-28 if those glitches don’t happen.

And how about all those 4th down stops? The defense is improving.

The improvement needed is better and consistent execution from every position. Hold those blocks, throw accurately, catch the ball, make the tackle, cover the receiver.
Don’t miss your block allowing extra pressure on Crippen. Hold on to the ball if you’re going to run it. Don’t force a pass. Don’t drop a pass that hits you in the hands. Don’t run in front of the snapped ball. Don’t miss an easy tackle. Cover your man and turn your head to look for the ball in the air. If that’s not done the X’s and O’s matter less.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Why would you not want to lose Faicloth? Surely, you must concede there are much more experienced coaches- isn’t this Faircloths 1st HC job? Surely, you must agree there are lots of coaches with more success than Faircloth? I believe He is a good guy and good for the program. However, his belief that HIS Qb can beat your entire team only works with a Morse, Johnson, Bost, etc... we need a multi faceted attack, in my opinion. May be change coming?
Last I’m gonna comment on it. Traveling the next 30 days. Hope it turns out well for the kids

Who would you hire? Tell me about all of the elite experienced coaches that will come to PN-G? Give me some names?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
If any decent coaches out there where to ever hear about a helicopter school board wanting to influence how the head coach decides who plays what position, or learns about the other political pressures that have transpired here, they would say no thanks. The only proven coach that interviewed was Danaher and all he had to say was how cold the staff was. The other one that turned out to be a good coach was Jack Alvarez that was at Kirbyville at the time.
PNG is probably not a top tier coaching job in terms of salary or opportunity. But it’s a dang good place with good pay, pretty good facilities and support, and that ever present reminder of history. If a good coach sees the value, it’s a great job. And if he’s allowed to do that job without any sideshows going on.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
This area isn’t a hot bed of talent as it was 40 years ago. Completely different landscape!

Why would an established experienced coach want to come here?

Torino

500+ Posts
If any decent coaches out there where to ever hear about a helicopter school board wanting to influence how the head coach decides who plays what position, or learns about the other political pressures that have transpired here, they would say no thanks. The only proven coach that interviewed was Danaher and all he had to say was how cold the staff was. The other one that turned out to be a good coach was Jack Alvarez that was at Kirbyville at the time.
PNG is probably not a top tier coaching job in terms of salary or opportunity. But it’s a dang good place with good pay, pretty good facilities and support, and that ever present reminder of history. If a good coach sees the value, it’s a great job. And if he’s allowed to do that job without any sideshows going on.
Actually, there was another top-notch applicant when Faircloth was selected. I won't mention his name because he withdrew and remains the AD where he was coach/AD at the time. He had won 85 games in the 7 previous seasons including 2 state championships and 2 semifinal appearances. He had some family issues and just couldn't leave where he was/is--seems like his father-in-law had died and they couldn't leave his mother-in-law. Anyway, I think he saw his program was about to hit a rough spot---and it did--but he had it up and running strong when he retired. And it remains strong, still running his system. And, he's loved in his community. His school had never won anything before he arrived, so anything he did was appreciated.
However, he was from a smaller school.
In a choice between the 2 it would have been difficult to overlook Mr. Faircloth's coaching experience at Austin Westlake, serving as backfield coach for Highland Park's 15-0 state champion in 2005, and 3 years as OC at Odessa Permian when the Mojo went 33-6 (6-3 in the playoffs) and set school records averaging 41 points per game. Those are large, complex, demanding schools.
BTW, another thing that impressed me was that Mr. Faircloth taught AP Algebra at Highland Park. At that school that is quite an accomplishment.
I think he and his family are one of the best things that has happened to this community.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Good info. I just know what I read in the funny papers about the 2008-09 hiring process.

Faircloth Is a good coach and a better man by all accounts. So was Matt Burnett.

We all wish the Indians could make a long run but in reality it’s a different world than the 70’s. PNG doesn’t have the talent pool that Westlake, Southlake Carrol or any big school has although Permian is nothing like it once was. 2017 was the best team PNG has had in a long time and couldn’t play enough defense to get past round 3. But it can still happen.

Burnett needed help on offense at the end of his run. Now Faircloth could use as much support possible in bringing the defense up another notch. Wouldn’t it be something f if coach Burnett would consider helping coach the defense? No other coach on the planet has his level of PNG pedigree and pride. And he’s a manster at heart and can probably teach that. What a great addition to his legacy that could be.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
This area isn’t a hot bed of talent as it was 40 years ago. Completely different landscape!

Why would an established experienced coach want to come here?
It would be interesting to better understand any correlation between the loss of many refinery jobs and other economic factors. The layoffs began around 1981. Back in the old days Texaco and Gulf were both like small cities with employee counts of 5,000+ each. The other plants were probably booming too. Families we’re moving to SE Texas from all over and PNG was one of the best places to have your kids go.
Even WO-S is not the program it once was. Part of that may be players going to LC-M.

Fan4Life

No thanks. Too much big mouth trash talking, hate mongers, ads and tracking on that site. ;)

Coaches don’t play the game, don’t fumble, don’t throw interceptions, don’t miss tackles, don’t miss calling penalties, etc. The emotional response is expected but calling for the head coaches head is extreme.

All the pot stirring experts need to write up a game plan and email it to the real coaches. They’ll get a good laugh out of that.
What is the other site?

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Actually, there was another top-notch applicant when Faircloth was selected. I won't mention his name because he withdrew and remains the AD where he was coach/AD at the time. He had won 85 games in the 7 previous seasons including 2 state championships and 2 semifinal appearances. He had some family issues and just couldn't leave where he was/is--seems like his father-in-law had died and they couldn't leave his mother-in-law. Anyway, I think he saw his program was about to hit a rough spot---and it did--but he had it up and running strong when he retired. And it remains strong, still running his system. And, he's loved in his community. His school had never won anything before he arrived, so anything he did was appreciated.
However, he was from a smaller school.
In a choice between the 2 it would have been difficult to overlook Mr. Faircloth's coaching experience at Austin Westlake, serving as backfield coach for Highland Park's 15-0 state champion in 2005, and 3 years as OC at Odessa Permian when the Mojo went 33-6 (6-3 in the playoffs) and set school records averaging 41 points per game. Those are large, complex, demanding schools.
BTW, another thing that impressed me was that Mr. Faircloth taught AP Algebra at Highland Park. At that school that is quite an accomplishment.
I think he and his family are one of the best things that has happened to this community.

I doubt Jerry Vance (Liberty Hill) or Phil Danaher (Calallen) were ever coming to PN-G in 2009. The school board made the right hire when it hired Coach Faircloth. When he decides to leave PN-G, the armchair coaches will find the TXHS coaching landscape has changed. It's not 1973 or 2009. Too many districts across the state have growing student populations, new facilities, and high pay. Several have loyal and large fan bases. On top of that, the whole PC crowd angry about the mascot name will make things uncomfortable for applicants. I have my doubts top-notch experienced coaches will apply. Unless PN-GISD decides to throw large sums of money around ala Barbers Hill, the applicant pool may not be that deep or impressive. Be careful what you ask for...1984-1988 could be right around the corner.

Torino

500+ Posts
Good info. I just know what I read in the funny papers about the 2008-09 hiring process.

Faircloth Is a good coach and a better man by all accounts. So was Matt Burnett.

We all wish the Indians could make a long run but in reality it’s a different world than the 70’s. PNG doesn’t have the talent pool that Westlake, Southlake Carrol or any big school has although Permian is nothing like it once was. 2017 was the best team PNG has had in a long time and couldn’t play enough defense to get past round 3. But it can still happen.

Burnett needed help on offense at the end of his run. Now Faircloth could use as much support possible in bringing the defense up another notch. Wouldn’t it be something f if coach Burnett would consider helping coach the defense? No other coach on the planet has his level of PNG pedigree and pride. And he’s a manster at heart and can probably teach that. What a great addition to his legacy that could be.

Torino

500+ Posts
1. How did you know green is my favorite Color?
2. Burnett definitely needed better offensive coaches, but on the other hand he handpicked them.
3. "Now Faircloth could use as much support possible in bringing the defense up another notch." Maybe we don't have enough players to do that unless a few go both ways.
4. As for talent pool, PN-G HS had 2000 students in the glory years of the 70s--1970 thru 1977--when the HS was a pretty good sized 4A --now 6A--school. Now the Indians are mid-sized 5A-D2 school.
5. So, to beat the larger schools requires innovation and intelligence. Part of the reason for hiring Coach F was that his system could work against the Centrals, Memorials, etc. We were never going to be successful again running the power I.

Torino

500+ Posts
I doubt Jerry Vance (Liberty Hill) or Phil Danaher (Calallen) were ever coming to PN-G in 2009. The school board made the right hire when it hired Coach Faircloth. When he decides to leave PN-G, the armchair coaches will find the TXHS coaching landscape has changed. It's not 1973 or 2009. Too many districts across the state have growing student populations, new facilities, and high pay. Several have loyal and large fan bases. On top of that, the whole PC crowd angry about the mascot name will make things uncomfortable for applicants. I have my doubts top-notch experienced coaches will apply. Unless PN-GISD decides to throw large sums of money around ala Barbers Hill, the applicant pool may not be that deep or impressive. Be careful what you ask for...1984-1988 could be right around the corner.
I can tell you that some of the top 2A, 3A and 4A coaches in Texas were unofficially contacted in 2009 and none responded. They were told about the $120 million bond, the $10 million stadium renovation, great schools for their kids, etc. and they never applied. As a person who has lived in several parts of the state, PN-G HS doesn't mean much 100 miles away from here--particularly since the 70s.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores