GAME DAY: PN-G Indians vs Nederland Bulldogs, 101st Meeting

bandkid

Staff member
Made it to the game last night. Ran late, because I left Austin later than I’d hoped. (Politics happened.) Got there about halfway through the second quarter.

I’m most frustrated by the penalties. Yes, it’s a big rivalry game. But we’re also eight games into the season at this point and faced serious adversity from Huntsville, MLC, and La Porte earlier in the season. Not to mention that we have two state championship appearances and plenty of tough playoff wins to our credit over the last two seasons. The boys know how to handle pressure better than that. This is the area in most critical need of improvement.

The defense got burned a lot, but I can’t really hang this game on the defense. Your defense is inevitably going to start underperforming when it’s spending too much time on the field.

Two missed field goals, an interception, and way too many short drives by the offense. Those are the difference-makers in this game, in my opinion.

To Nederland’s credit, it was apparent Scott Rich spent years working for Gary Joseph last night. It seemed like he knew exactly how to adjust the Nederland D for every look the Indian O gave him. I suppose you could say he has an intuitive understanding of the Joseph play-calling philosophy, certainly better than any other HC I’ve watched Jeff Joseph square off against to date. Once again, Nederland made an outstanding hire in picking Rich.

Here’s the good news. I saw Jackson Christian at the Whataburger on Twin City last night. He was upbeat, classy as ever, and reassuring the other PN-G students in the restaurant that the Indians will be okay. All the rumors are true—the kid’s got the best attitude you could ask for from a high school football player. If the rest of the team takes that attitude, uses this as a learning opportunity and a motivator, we’ll be alright the rest of the season.

PS: Y’all know what I say about history repeating itself. The only time in school history the Indians have made it to a third consecutive state title game was the 1955 season. We won state that season. PN-G went 11-2 that year, both losses occurring in the regular season. Y’all know who those losses were to?

Our rivals: Nederland and TJ. :cool:

Always be faithful, folks.

kingcrablegs

Made it to the game last night. Ran late, because I left Austin later than I’d hoped. (Politics happened.) Got there about halfway through the second quarter.

I’m most frustrated by the penalties. Yes, it’s a big rivalry game. But we’re also eight games into the season at this point and faced serious adversity from Huntsville, MLC, and La Porte earlier in the season. Not to mention that we have two state championship appearances and plenty of tough playoff wins to our credit over the last two seasons. The boys know how to handle pressure better than that. This is the area in most critical need of improvement.

The defense got burned a lot, but I can’t really hang this game on the defense. Your defense is inevitably going to start underperforming when it’s spending too much time on the field.

Two missed field goals, an interception, and way too many short drives by the offense. Those are the difference-makers in this game, in my opinion.

To Nederland’s credit, it was apparent Scott Rich spent years working for Gary Joseph last night. It seemed like he knew exactly how to adjust the Nederland D for every look the Indian O gave him. I suppose you could say he has an intuitive understanding of the Joseph play-calling philosophy, certainly better than any other HC I’ve watched Jeff Joseph square off against to date. Once again, Nederland made an outstanding hire in picking Rich.

Here’s the good news. I saw Jackson Christian at the Whataburger on Twin City last night. He was upbeat, classy as ever, and reassuring the other PN-G students in the restaurant that the Indians will be okay. All the rumors are true—the kid’s got the best attitude you could ask for from a high school football player. If the rest of the team takes that attitude, uses this as a learning opportunity and a motivator, we’ll be alright the rest of the season.

PS: Y’all know what I say about history repeating itself. The only time in school history the Indians have made it to a third consecutive state title game was the 1955 season. We won state that season. PN-G went 11-2 that year, both losses occurring in the regular season. Y’all know who those losses were to?

Our rivals: Nederland and TJ. :cool:

Always be faithful, folks.
They got to throw some trick plays every now and then.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (7-0)
vs.
Nederland Bulldogs (6-1)

Friday, Oct. 25, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium, Port Neches, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores