GAME DAY: PN-G Indians vs Nederland Bulldogs, 101st Meeting

Rez

Our OC is killing us. Playcalling is predictable and atrocious. SMH.
We’ve had that problem all season. There’s no logic, no system at all. I can’t stand our play calling. We just run and if they stuff us we reward them with incompletions. We’ve known since Lake Creek that the first team that was able to take advantage of the wasted possessions we seem intent on gifting them would be able to beat us. We’ve mostly been lucky up until now.

Rez

It may be time to move up those JV defensive backs.
We have athletes who want to make tackles all over the sideline. We have portions of our secondary who seem to want to avoid contact at all cost and run more slowly than my mom. I don’t understand not putting the hungry players in.

Rez

Poor non creative play calling and the inability to prevent big plays on defense cost us this game. We’ve got to make some changes on defense and we’ve got to find a more balanced offense than depending on running every play and only one dependable receiver.
I’d rather run every play. In the 3rd quarter we marched down the field with something like 8 run plays in a row, and then our OC wanted to scratch his “Make Faircloth Proud” itch and threw the three worst pass plays in human history. If we had simply run the ball we would have at least set up a closer field goal and been able to at least be tied at the end of the game.

WarDance

Poor non creative play calling and the inability to prevent big plays on defense cost us this game. We’ve got to make some changes on defense and we’ve got to find a more balanced offense than depending on running every play and only one dependable receiver.
Like the 3rd down delayed draw? Stupid call

100+ Posts
Well hopefully we've hit bottom now. We've been headed there ever since the very first game in Klein. We can now be rid of the win streak, the #1 ranking, and maybe Mitch will stop with the defending state champs announcement at the beginning of the next home game, and we can take care of business against Montgomery. Maybe Nederland did us a favor.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think the Indians are hitting bottom. The opportunity was there. The defense played well other than a handful of plays. The offense had it's moments too but not enough. Nederland made more plays. They also came in with extra impetus with it being the #1 ranked defending state champion on a winning streak. They hit the target on the back of the Indians. A few plays here or there and it would have been an Indian win. Now back to the core work that has brought the program to where it's at. Now the job is to beat Montgomery.

jstonedrummer

Offensive line was outplayed tonight by a smaller defensive line and LB crew. Nederland wanted it more than the Indians. It showed throughout the game with their effort. We were in position to make plays and we let Nederland players out hustle us play after play. Corners can’t set edges. I agree the play calling is also very suspect at times. Hopefully this wakes them up. They have been very uninspired for a lot of the season.. we shall see.

100+ Posts
I don't think the Indians are hitting bottom. The opportunity was there. The defense played well other than a handful of plays. The offense had it's moments too but not enough. Nederland made more plays. They also came in with extra impetus with it being the #1 ranked defending state champion on a winning streak. They hit the target on the back of the Indians. A few plays here or there and it would have been an Indian win. Now back to the core work that has brought the program to where it's at. Now the job is to beat Montgomery.
Wow, I sure hope that this is the bottom! And I'm not talking about just the boys, but the coaches too. Maybe get back to basics, including the stadium lights. Dimming the lights when your own team is trying to kick an extra point is embarrassing. Even NDN Press (although they are doing a great job) maybe needs to simplify a little and get back to where they were.
This isn't a rant, btw, just my own objective observations.
As far as the Nederland team, they came to play football, pure and simple. They're the hot team team right now, and Huntsville and Montgomery better watch out. Us, Nederland, Huntsville and Montgomery all pretty much control our own destinies for District now.

Jerrylisa1977

I agree with Nederland wanted it more. You could tell from the coin toss that the Indians weren’t fired up. I would put much more blame on bad coaching and play calling. When they keep stuffing the up the middle plays you try something else. The coaches didn’t have the team ready for this one and I don’t think the coaches were ready for this game. We have the talent and our coaches are great. Just weren’t ready.

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
I can’t tell you how many times in the 1st half on obvious running downs Ned stacked 8 in the box and what did we do—try to run between the tackles. I was watching the actual definition of insanity unfold right in front of my eyes.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Even if the offensive line makes their blocks, if the defense throws enough bodies into the area there will be no running lanes. And send a linebacker to the preferred gap to get ahead of the pulling guard or tackle. It's all about reading the keys as the play unfolds. That HAD to be Nederland's game plan, they did it and it worked enough. The running style for PNG backs is straight ahead. There were plays where cutting to the left or right to open field would have yielded positive yardage.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (7-0)
vs.
Nederland Bulldogs (6-1)

Friday, Oct. 25, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium, Port Neches, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores