Game Updates: PN-G vs. Gregory Portland

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
pngfan93 said:
kingcrablegs said:
so you think the PNG offense is going to compete with Central, and Lumberton this year.

You mean the Central team that couldn't score against PAM?

The district race will be a brawl this season ... LC-M and Lumberton will be better ... apparently Vidor can move the ball ... I think a real sleeper might be Ozen. I can't wait to see how it all unfolds over the next 10 weeks. Go Indians.

Peace.

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
and if the fg was no good some would ask why not punch it 1 yard and get an opportunity to get closer. The coach knows his team and their capabilities

kingcrablegs

now that you put it that way I understand now where the coach is coming from in this situation it is just going to make the Indians that much stronger come district time.

indianforever

100+ Posts
i hate that we lost but this game will make us better and now we know what we have to work on to keep that district title at the Reservation...great job Indians i saw some great things this evening

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
Secondary needs some seroius work. The are not aggressive at all. they are big and fast but not physical at all. They also play to soft.

Bob S.

Lotta hindsight available for this game. Very close game obviously. GP started stuffing the traps and misdirection stuff by loading the box and apparently had enough speed to stop the outside run game ... that was the difference I think ... we ended up <70 yards rushing and slightly more than a 3 yd average. Secondary was our achiles heel but maybe a little more pressure on the QB coulda made the difference.

GP made the adjustments to win of 2 fairly evenly matched teams. ... period.

One thing I question is when We went up 28-27 why not go for 2 again ... that nullifies the FG if you make it and makes no difference if you don't ... just sayin' ! (I was screaming at the computer about that when it was happening). The 4th down attempt at the end shouldn't had gone up the middle ... they just stuffed the middle the whole 2nd half. Its 50/50 in my mind whether to go for it on that 4th of kick. That's football!

All in all exciting game to watch! Very disappointed in the result but that's me!

BTW ... the FG attempt at the end woulda been 38-39 yarder, not 30 as someone had said.

Gp83

THE GREGORY PORTLAND WILDCATS
Bob S. said:
Lotta hindsight available for this game. Very close game obviously. GP started stuffing the traps and misdirection stuff by loading the box and apparently had enough speed to stop the outside run game ... that was the difference I think ... we ended up <70 yards rushing and slightly more than a 3 yd average. Secondary was our achiles heel but maybe a little more pressure on the QB coulda made the difference.

One thing I question is when We went up 28-27 why not go for 2 again ... that nullifies the FG if you make it and makes no difference if you don't ... just sayin' ! (I was screaming at the computer about that when it was happening). The 4th down attempt at the end shouldn't had gone up the middle ... they just stuffed the middle the whole 2nd half. Its 50/50 in my mind whether to go for it on that 4th of kick. That's football!

All in all exciting game to watch! Very disappointed in the result but that's me!

BTW ... the FG attempt at the end woulda been 38-39 yarder, not 30 as someone had said.

I have to agree that I was surprised you went for it on 4th down...but it was going to be a long FG.

Gp83

THE GREGORY PORTLAND WILDCATS
91ndn said:
Did they ever say anything about the Attendance from PNG fans....

I will say this...it was no where close to our Gp-Tivy attendance of 2002. We filled it end zone to end zone 2 decks high, and I heard it had 30,000 plus.

Bob S. said:

to be excat it would of been a 35 yard fg very makaable we have a very good kicker sould of went for fg running game was going no where

NDNband69

500+ Posts
This was a really exciting game! I am very proud of our Indians. Two closely matched teams. I like our chances heading toward district.

Some Pics:
The Alamodome video screen.
DSCF0132.jpg

Nice sombrero......I like the color.
DSCF0101.jpg

The cheerleaders from El Paso Hanks H.S. gotta have a picture with the Indian Spirit.
DSCF0106.jpg

The Gregory Portland crowd.
DSCF0140.jpg

Our PNG crowd.
DSCF0126.jpg

hookem14

100+ Posts
I’ve noticed more and more over the years that people who criticize coaches for their calls or Especially players for their play did not,( in most cases), play themselves. For if they did, they would know better!!

Pngrick72

From Dave Campbell's live blog during the game;
Travis Stewart: And yes, Colo ... this truthfully might be the best crowd we've had for one school, ever. Port Lavaca Calhoun two years ago is close.
Saturday August 28, 2010 3:47 Travis Stewart
3:47 Travis Stewart: I kid you not when I say this is a sea of purple, all standing.
Saturday August 28, 2010 3:47 Travis Stewart
3:48 Travis Stewart: And they're on our side of the stadium — right underneath me — so when PN-G scores, this place is going to get all sorts-a-kinda loud.
Travis Stewart: GP has a good crowd, maybe 1,500 or so, but I bet you PNG has them outnumbered 2.5 to 1.
Travis Stewart: PN-G's mascot outfit, a purple indian in full gear, is very nice. Travis Stewart: Nice PNG chant rumbling through the stadium, here. And the Indians fans are on their feet!
Saturday August 28, 2010 3:56 Travis Stewart
Travis Stewart: Man. I don't see an empty seat on this side, anywhere.
Saturday August 28, 2010 Saturday August 28, 2010 Travis Stewart: Man. I don't see an empty seat on this side, anywhere.
Saturday August 28, 2010 3:56 Travis Stewart
3:57 Travis Stewart: Estimates ranging anywhere from 4,000 to 6,000 for PNG's side.

Saturday August 28, 2010 3:57 Travis Stewart Travis Stewart: Streaking out onto the field in the purple tops, while pants and white numbers. A classy uniform, indeed.
Saturday August 28, 2010 3:59 Travis Stewart
4:00 Travis Stewart: And the stadium rumbles with the PNG side's clapping. Travis Stewart: WOW -- it's loud in here. Holy cow! I haven't heard it that loud here since the 2007 playoffs!

Bob S.

Indiansalltheway said:
it would of been 30 yard fg if that

Just to help with your math ... Ball on the 21, ...plus the 10 yard endzone, ... plus the 7-8 yard drop on the snap placement . . .

let's see here 21 --- line of scrimage
10 --- endzone
8 --- snap placement

39 --- yards --- FG attemp distance .

Not a given as far as points ... hard decision for Faircloth who I'm sure knows his kicker better than anyone on the internet.

We all have hindsight and opinions ... some are based on good logic. In the end it is water under the bridge.

91ndn

Coach new what he was doing...The last play just didn't work the way we wanted it to...Those young men on the field last night will be ready next week...

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (4-0)
vs.
Huntsville Hornets (3-1)

Friday, Oct. 4, 7:00PM

Huntsville ISD Stadium, Huntsville, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores