Indians vs. CS Cougars... thoughts?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
College Station features an elusive QB who will run for a lot of yards if he’s not wrapped up.

Any thoughts on the game?

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Quick snaps much like Crosby when they sub they sub in platoons I'd say use every possible slow down tactic even if it's subbing one person when they do. Otherwise it's 5 seconds after the ball is placed by the ref. QB doesn't have a long ball imo it's all quick slants, curls, etc. (so jumping a route taking a chance could result in a pick 6) especially early in the game/drive. the RBs have a tendency to try to find greener pastures wide rather than north south which I believe plays to one of our strengths. We can beat them but for me every week further gets you one more week of practice for underclassmen and one more week of PNG for the SRs and fans. To RJ PLEASE LEARN TO DIVE FORWARD WHEN YOU GET TO THE END OF THE RUN. LOL. I say this to the greatest QB I've seen in the HS ranks. Get down when you know the run is over. Haha. To the coaches. 1st down with no timeouts for the other team equals 2:00. 1st down with one timeout for the other team equals 1:20 (that's 80 seconds) we ran two RJ punishing plays with 1:21 left. the game was over with two kneel downs. PLEASE MAKE A CHART. Great effort by both sides all playoffs Crosby the defense got down but fought hard every inch of the way. Friday obvious improvements don't give up on #3 Taylor he'll be a good one. I wish #19 would give defense a try as well he's fast and looks like to me he would be a good tackler but then again that's just observational. We can beat this team - PNG has a long history of beating the bigger, deeper teams (that's the case here) they have 2-3 deep at several positions. Hopefully Georgetown gave em a few swats on the butt that will leave a mark I have a feeling that's the case. We have plenty of scars from our two games as well. Wish the center would be back but I think he's out. Deslatte hopefully will be near 100% we need him big time. I saw the play he got hurt on really well we re lucky it's not an ACL/mcl

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I would seriously look at frequent blitzing on the side of CS’s right OT. That may be a weak link in their armor. Get into the backfield and disrupt the QB before he gets too much momentum.

Their defense is going to give up lots of yards and points.

bark

1,000+ Posts
RJ is so good I don't know how CS is going to stop him. Nederland did something with our receivers that took them out of the game to beat us - but they were back last week

One of the Dad's of the OL group tells me the center will possibly be out this week too.

If RJ can stay healthy - big task at 50 plus touches per game - I believe we have a chance to beat anyone, without him I don't think we could beat anyone. My Opinion

Speaking of RJ' touches at 50 per game that's between 600 - 750 touches per season UNREAL

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
bark said:
RJ is so good I don't know how CS is going to stop him. Nederland did something with our receivers that took them out of the game to beat us - but they were back last week

One of the Dad's of the OL group tells me the center will possibly be out this week too.

If RJ can stay healthy - big task at 50 plus touches per game - I believe we have a chance to beat anyone, without him I don't think we could beat anyone. My Opinion

Speaking of RJ' touches at 50 per game that's between 600 - 750 touches per season UNREAL

Yeah. He's the best I've ever seen at this level. I saw Reggie McNeil as a freshman but he was playing a 1A team who had a 500 pounder at NG who would stand up at the snap and not move. So defense was like tackling dummies. But he's the closest I've seen to RJ. Kyler Murray thinks he's RJ but not quite. Haha. We can absolutely beat ANYONE in 5A proven to me at the MT game they are amongst the best in 5A and COULD win div I with a little luck. (Go MT beat womanvel) (best putdown I could think of) PNG is the opposite of Manvel one reason I am a fan. Haha. Class vs school in the summertime. (No class) thanks to Fat Albert.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
If I was a defensive coach, which I am not, I would look to plug the leaks in that defensive middle. Too many quarterbacks and running backs go straight up the gut to pick up easy yardage. And if they’re fast enough, as the CS quarterback will be, they go the distance.

When the Indian defenders have time to swarm, the likelihood of a stop increases tremendously. Avoid one on one situations as much as possible. Plug the middle, pressure on the edge, and slow that Quarterback down before he breaks the line of scrimmage. Make him go laterally and pursue. Linebackers need to be ready to react to his cuts.

Basic, obvious defense, but easier to say than do. (Says this armchair coach)

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Agree. I think this is another "all you have to do is stop the QB" haha. He accounted for most of their yards and 3 rushing TDs (one for 95 yards) I think the main difference in our QBs is the deep threat we have. Once he raises up to pass it's either coming out or he's running Hughes can catch him though. In the past Georgetown had big defenders not necessarily the fastest so once he broke the front 7he was gone.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Best defense is an unstoppable offense. I watched some video of CS and was not impressed with their defense. RJ will have his way. And if the passing game is clicking, the run will open up even more.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Ok after watching most of two CS games from this year I'm going to call a PNG win. That's dependent on a clean injury free game of course. But we can win this game for sure. Go NDNZ. If we can stop the "quick big play" we win. Most of CS offensive plays are determined in the first 2 seconds. High percentage completions and very fast handoffs. Great QB but I think if we put some pressure on the overall offense we will get some turnovers. I call PNG could be a repeat of the Crosby game I think the CS defense is good they return almost all the front seven and the QB is a 3 year starter (started the 15 season as WR ended as QB)

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
I'm just worried about tickets. I called the stadium today and they said they weren't overselling. I told them we brought over 10K last week I could hear a guy in the background saying "that was 3 games" ha they have no idea what's coming at them. Let's show up at 11 and buy all the visitor side tickets. Lol. Like MR G said.

bark

1,000+ Posts
Mr. Buddy Garrity said:
I think first to 50 wins. If there was ever a time for some Landshark D this would be it Png.
I agree Mr. G 50 + wins and hopefully the D steps it up and takes some pressure off RJ and finish not so close to the end.

Anyone know how ___ family and him are doing?

90NDN

500+ Posts
Not sure this really matters, but CS handled TC 42-12 I believe..granted things are different come playoff time. Hopefully the new center will have not have any issues with a week under his belt now and the offense will be in sync . I can't see us winning if RJ is mainly running (it at least has to be balanced or more passing than running). Additionally, the defense is going to have to come up with some holds. Will this game be streamed live? I won't be able to make this one like last week.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
It wiil be streamed on Texanlive, but I have been unable to determine whether their system is compatible with my older iphone running Safari 8. No info about system requirements on their website other than indicating that internet explorer is not compatible and that you need most recent version of Safari for "best experience." Will be in Houston this weekend but cannot attend due to poor handicapped seating at Turner. No computer available due to Harvey, and browser cannot be upgraded due to age of phone. If anyone knows whether Texan will work with Safari 8 please let me know.

NDN76

MY DOG
I streamed last weeks game against TC on Texanlive on my PC using FireFox and it was beautiful with no issues. I even captured it and saved it on my External Drive. :eek:ld:

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
I made a mistake in previous post. I meant IOS 8, not Safari 8. Anyone know whether Texanlive is compatible with it? Any one have experience streaming Texanlive on any kind of phone? No computer due to Harvey, and IOS cannot be upgraded due to age of phone. Think we have a shot in this game if center problems get straightened out, and hope I can find some way to watch it.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
90NDN said:
Not sure this really matters, but CS handled TC 42-12 I believe..granted things are different come playoff time. Hopefully the new center will have not have any issues with a week under his belt now and the offense will be in sync . I can't see us winning if RJ is mainly running (it at least has to be balanced or more passing than running). Additionally, the defense is going to have to come up with some holds. Will this game be streamed live? I won't be able to make this one like last week.
CS and Texas City didn't play this year. Trying to look for any common opponents. Clear Lake beat TC by 7 and Clear Lake did very well this year. Dickinson Manvel FB Marshall could give us something me common opponents I can look.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
90NDN said:
Tyeah i had that mixed io with another team...my bad
I think you were looking at FB Marshall. Not trying to "call you out" or anything. Haha. Can't tell much about the St Pius loss they're a whole different animal. Westlake by 7. We can beat them. I'll be there as long as they keep winning and my schedule allows. Wish I could say I'd only missed one game since 1975. I was at the Brenham game and I'll be at this one so we can say together we've seen them all (ndnzeek that said that?) very impressive. Only at PNG will you hear something like that.

90NDN

500+ Posts
Yeah.. fb Marshall beat tc :) i though Hutto was going to beat Marshall last night, but list by 3 in the end.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (4-0)
vs.
Huntsville Hornets (3-1)

Friday, Oct. 4, 7:00PM

Huntsville ISD Stadium, Huntsville, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores