MCM, Bum Phillips Bowl

19PNGndn68

If the Indians play to their capability on both sides of the ball , they win by two TDs. Mix in any turnovers or other boneheaded mistakes. It’s a toss up.
Why are we nervous?

too many fake punts for TDs with our starting defense on the side lines.

successful onside kickoff when there is were no “hands teams” on receiving kick off special teams.

Expect the unexpected. Think about the opponents timing and need for a momentum change not a mechanical response to a down marker and yardage.

When you are the underdog you will resort to fake punts, onside kicks, etc.
Get in the head of the opponent Coach anticipate the timing when will they take these risks/need for a momentum changer.

Special team’s play can decide a narrow victory or defeat. Go into the MCM game as if it’s the 4th Q of a Liberty Hill game where LH Coaches and team play that
anything goes and no lead is safe. Hit them When, Where, and with What they least expect.

Still have pregame jitters after venting my worst fears. The sure sign of a PNG fanatic who fears the worst but embraces and appreciates the best PNG offers. Who are We!!! PNG

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
It is the Halloween season but no need for Freddy Krueger, or Nederland Bulldogs to live rent free in the minds of any PNG faithful or player. ;) The boogeyman lives in Port Neches and Groves more often than Nederland. (54-39-7)

The turnovers, penalties and other mistakes can go both ways and will definitely affect the outcome either way. Motivation wise, both teams have their reasons to kick a**.

Nederland will bring the house often on defense to disrupt the Indians preferred running lanes and pressure Bailey. Nederland will try to blanket Nunley. But the Indians power and excellence may succeed anyway. Henry and Chatagnier running behind 1400+ pounds of prime PNG o-line are going to punish some people and get their yards too. Huntsville’s defense is much better than Nederland and they struggled to stop the run and pass.

Nederland’s #1 could have a big night. Or if the containment busts continue allowing their QB to escape it could be dramatic. PNG has some great defensive coaches that will prepare the team well and adjust during the game. And the Indians have some hosses on defense that will make their presence known.

If PN-G players execute the plan, they win.

PN-G wins the fan representation too. Be loud and give the Bulldogs a taste of playoff atmosphere.

CS

100+ Posts
Really think that? I hope your right.
Yes, I do. We’ve beaten much better teams along the way. MUCH better teams. You think Ned hangs with LaPorte? Huntsville? Look at what Klein Oak has done since playing us. Not bad at all.
They won’t be able to handle the PNG O line at all.
McDaniel will have a plan ready for Thomas and Sunday and we will be just fine.
Sure, anything can happen in this game…. But not this year. Last year wasn’t a fluke. We are #1 and will show them why this Friday. See y’all there.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Why are we nervous?

too many fake punts for TDs with our starting defense on the side lines.

successful onside kickoff when there is were no “hands teams” on receiving kick off special teams.

Expect the unexpected. Think about the opponents timing and need for a momentum change not a mechanical response to a down marker and yardage.

When you are the underdog you will resort to fake punts, onside kicks, etc.
Get in the head of the opponent Coach anticipate the timing when will they take these risks/need for a momentum changer.

Special team’s play can decide a narrow victory or defeat. Go into the MCM game as if it’s the 4th Q of a Liberty Hill game where LH Coaches and team play that
anything goes and no lead is safe. Hit them When, Where, and with What they least expect.

Still have pregame jitters after venting my worst fears. The sure sign of a PNG fanatic who fears the worst but embraces and appreciates the best PNG offers. Who are We!!! PNG
Of all the college football marathon games yesterday

ONE punt got returned for maybe 10 yards (that I saw)

To me NO returner back
It’s a defense play just like any other down

EVERY punt return goes like this

Either (80%) (made up stats of how it seems)
The returner is frantically telling team mates to “get away” from the ball
Almost all the rest is a fair catch (under duress) with threat of a hold, illegal block or muff. None of the penalties or accidental touches make up for the yardage you save or gain from a catch or return.(when you add it all up)
It’s the same as punting on 4th down
Safe is sometimes best (punt returns are similar to going for it on 4th and long)
You only do it when you absolutely have to
Kickoff
Almost All returns could be hands team
As it is now mostly its fair catch put 2-3 guys back to handle the squib
The kickoff does allow for a return from time to time but there never should be an onside kick recovered with 95% certainly

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Of all the college football marathon games yesterday

ONE punt got returned for maybe 10 yards (that I saw)

To me NO returner back
It’s a defense play just like any other down

EVERY punt return goes like this

Either (80%) (made up stats of how it seems)
The returner is frantically telling team mates to “get away” from the ball
Almost all the rest is a fair catch (under duress) with threat of a hold, illegal block or muff. None of the penalties or accidental touches make up for the yardage you save or gain from a catch or return.(when you add it all up)
It’s the same as punting on 4th down
Safe is sometimes best (punt returns are similar to going for it on 4th and long)
You only do it when you absolutely have to
Kickoff
Almost All returns could be hands team
As it is now mostly its fair catch put 2-3 guys back to handle the squib
The kickoff does allow for a return from time to time but there never should be an onside kick recovered with 95% certainly
Leave the starting D in there on punts! Don’t give Nederland any easier opportunities to gain trick yardage.

These games are like chess matches. Every play and every series is magnified. Momentum can swing quickly. Put the proverbial foot on the proverbial neck and don’t raise it. 4 quarters worth.

But that’s just my opinion. Looking forward to reading more thoughts on the game.

Reactions: Rez

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I do. We’ve beaten much better teams along the way. MUCH better teams. You think Ned hangs with LaPorte? Huntsville? Look at what Klein Oak has done since playing us. Not bad at all.
They won’t be able to handle the PNG O line at all.
McDaniel will have a plan ready for Thomas and Sunday and we will be just fine.
Sure, anything can happen in this game…. But not this year. Last year wasn’t a fluke. We are #1 and will show them why this Friday. See y’all there.
Nederland will go for disruption at the line of scrimmage and hope their linebackers play a perfect game and make all the tackles. Look for their down linemen to attack the gaps and create chaos. But those big PNG linemen are going to beat on the dogs all night and both Henry and Chatagnier are strong enough and fast enough to break tackles and take it to the house.

tony79

Reviewing the Ned vs MLC game on Texan Live.
Ned will be very physical if not brutal.
Perhaps knowing this could be an advantage if well coached.
Ned hurt the MLC quarterback. He came back but our O-line must be in maximum protection.

Rez

Reviewing the Ned vs MLC game on Texan Live.
Ned will be very physical if not brutal.
Perhaps knowing this could be an advantage if well coached.
Ned hurt the MLC quarterback. He came back but our O-line must be in maximum protection.
We shouldn’t (and mostly will not need to) do many slow developing pass plays. Nederland absolutely got away with a roughing the passer against LC - They broke through and slammed the qb on the ground hard, and unnecessarily. We need to take advantage of their blitzing and just keep running the ball, or using short passes to the outside. If we hang Conner out to dry he’s going to get hurt.

Last edited:

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (7-0)
vs.
Nederland Bulldogs (6-1)

Friday, Oct. 25, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium, Port Neches, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores