New AD/Head Coach Jeff Joseph Intro

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
“We are going to build up a team that plays a very physical brand of football,” he said.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
“We are going to build up a team that plays a very physical brand of football,” he said.

Awesome!

Also:

“Day One, you are going to see a team that is full of toughness and plays with fantastic effort,” Joseph said. “That is going to be the standard around here. We will ask three things of them every week and that is to play hard, play smart and be very physical.”

Joseph said he will keep the shotgun, spread-style offense PNG fans have become accustom to and will run a 3-4 defense base with multiple looks.”

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member

Joseph said the team will play a 3-4 package on defense, with an emphasis on bringing pressure from multiple spots.

Offensively, Joseph stayed mum on naming a potential play-caller, but said PN-G will mainly play out of the shotgun.

“The best thing for a defensive coordinator is an offense that scores points,” Joseph said. “We’re going to keep the offense pretty similar to what’s been around here.”

IndianTaxPayer

100+ Posts
Score points in an attempt to win while knowing that the players sizes do not support a Power 'I' style of play on Offense.

On Defense we MUST have 7 or 8 guys in the secondary to avoid get scored on with our opponents speed. The 3-4 Defense is the best defensive scheme to support that.

The players at the school are not 6'3" and 250 pounds that can play DE. If we had them, we would have enough Offensive Lineman to run a Power 'I' Offense.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Score points in an attempt to win while knowing that the players sizes do not support a Power 'I' style of play on Offense.

On Defense we MUST have 7 or 8 guys in the secondary to avoid get scored on with our opponents speed. The 3-4 Defense is the best defensive scheme to support that.

The players at the school are not 6'3" and 250 pounds that can play DE. If we had them, we would have enough Offensive Lineman to run a Power 'I' Offense.
Great observations. PN-G did run the power I from 1973 through the early the late 90s, but to your point opponent size in general was less. The emphasis and strength of those PN-G offenses was technique, execution, effort, conditioning and heart. The opponent knew what was coming but often couldn't stop it. Football comes down to 1-1 matchups and winning the battle against the man in front of you. There was no fear in going against larger players back in those days. It was just another challenge to conquer. You just kept pounding on them until they were worn out.

The Indians will field an offensive line next season that averages probably 6-2 260+ pounds. It will be a good one.

Some of the keys to this defense improving is better strength conditioning and cardio training during the offseason, game planning and game adjustment, staying in position and covering responsibility, tackling with authority.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The new coach walked the talk...

1644971282466.png
Katy's head coach, Mike Johnston talks with his players during a time out in the first half during the 2000 Class 5A division II state championship game between Katy and John Tyler in the Astrodome.

bandkid

Staff member
Had occasion to attend a mixer last night with some recent former officials from some Houston-area ISDs. Safe to say the Joseph hire has caught people’s attention in the Houston suburbs.

PatsCowboy

Had occasion to attend a mixer last night with some recent former officials from some Houston-area ISDs. Safe to say the Joseph hire has caught people’s attention in the Houston suburbs.

What those people are waiting for is to see the terms of his contract including the dollars for Jeff and his assistants, not to mention which assistants he draws and from where.

bandkid

Staff member
What those people are waiting for is to see the terms of his contract including the dollars for Jeff and his assistants, not to mention which assistants he draws and from where.

The point about the assistants Joseph can bring in was specifically mentioned last night. It's clear to me that bringing Joseph in is a huge credibility boost for the PN-G program.

akifan94

500+ Posts
The point about the assistants Joseph can bring in was specifically mentioned last night. It's clear to me that bringing Joseph in is a huge credibility boost for the PN-G program.

It is likely not a coincidence the Katy 3-4 defense will be the base.

PatsCowboy

That was the point I tried to make previously. Joseph will add credibility to whatever damage may have been done to the way PNG is viewed outside Jefferson County. I am led to believe by some posters that there might have been less than honorable actions on the part of some parents and/or elected officials. If that is indeed the case, nobody would be dumb enough to pull that on Texas HS royalty. If they do, the booster club needs to take up a collection to help them move to Rye or Votaw.

Like it or not, PNG has chosen or been chosen for a major change. The last thing the community and program needs is divisive actions. Everybody onboard or the bus & moving vans leave for Houston ISD Saturday morning.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (4-0)
vs.
Huntsville Hornets (3-1)

Friday, Oct. 4, 7:00PM

Huntsville ISD Stadium, Huntsville, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores