Next Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I think I read somewhere that the application window began 1/24, but that needs to be confirmed.

These are some of the comments from the PA News article:

“We will post the position for 10 days and begin the difficult process of selecting those individuals that might be the best fit here at PNG,” Superintendent Mike Gonzales said in a statement to Port Arthur Newsmedia.

“The committee is going to take their time and vet every candidate that they deem worthy of the interview. I don’t think there is an exact timeframe. We don’t even know how many qualified applicants we are going to receive…I do know they would like to have someone in place before the spring football season starts.”

The school board president said he hopes the opening draws interest from across the state.

“I want someone that is going to be the best fit for the PNG student athletes,” Bartlett said. “That is what I am looking for — someone who is going to put kids above everything in all that they do. The reason we are all here is to make sure every child has the perfect opportunity at PNGISD.

“We really want to bring in the best, and you can’t do that if you limit it geographically. Our hope is that we get some big names from all over the state that are looking to settle down in Port Neches-Groves and get to work coaching a football team.”

Bartlett also said style of coaching will likely play a factor in the decision-making process.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
No mention of winning at football. Just that every student 'has the perfect opportunity'. What does that mean? Everyone plays the same amount? Every student already has an opportunity. It's up to the individual to make something of that. And like real life, talent, ability and effort SHOULD decide who plays.

VegasNDN

I hope everyone realizes, regardless of the side you're on, that the entire state is watching this $#!t show. The people in charge should be embarrassed as all hell as it's the kids who will suffer. I can understand running off a coach for horrible seasons (not talking about his Mid-County record) or complete mismanagement of the athletic department or misappropriation of athletic funds; none of which are the case. He was run off with malicious intent.

I love where I'm from as it made me the man I am today. I truly believe all of my success in business is a direct correlation to my upbringing and the coaches that beat my butt when I needed it. I make a point not to bring shame to my family name or all of the generations that have walked the halls at PNG decades before me.

I don't live there anymore, but I have some money to spend. Please feel free to DM me and I will 100% help back the RIGHT candidates that simply want the best for all of the kids that walk the halls at PNG, regardless of athletic affiliation or otherwise. This entire fiasco makes me angry and sad all at the same time.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Many of us feel exactly the same and are in a similar position. We could easily walk away but we care for the ultimate good of all things PNG. Or not fight for the honor of a good coach and man. And then encourage the hire of the very best coach possible.

You are correct, this is all an embarrassment and should have never taken place.

bark

1,000+ Posts
I hope everyone realizes, regardless of the side you're on, that the entire state is watching this $#!t show. The people in charge should be embarrassed as all hell as it's the kids who will suffer. I can understand running off a coach for horrible seasons (not talking about his Mid-County record) or complete mismanagement of the athletic department or misappropriation of athletic funds; none of which are the case. He was run off with malicious intent.

I love where I'm from as it made me the man I am today. I truly believe all of my success in business is a direct correlation to my upbringing and the coaches that beat my butt when I needed it. I make a point not to bring shame to my family name or all of the generations that have walked the halls at PNG decades before me.

I don't live there anymore, but I have some money to spend. Please feel free to DM me and I will 100% help back the RIGHT candidates that simply want the best for all of the kids that walk the halls at PNG, regardless of athletic affiliation or otherwise. This entire fiasco makes me angry and sad all at the same time.
Honestly, very very few fans really have interest in who’s the coach. Aside from dad mom and maw maw only interest is being seen 5 Friday nights shaking hands. For example, when faircloth came everybody thought several wealthy alumni would donate and fund the indoor facility
When you get older education matters more- so no $. Facility cancelled. The first booster club was to promote those Daddies kids. They graduated- not much Boostering going on the last few years.
As far as the entire state looking at us - really doubt it.
We are only special if your looking thru purple lenses.
My opinion

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
I think I read somewhere that the application window began 1/24, but that needs to be confirmed.

These are some of the comments from the PA News article:

Post for 10 days and “take their time” lol

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
While we're playing the waiting game, a list of all active head coaches in the state with 150 or more wins might be fun. May as well look at the stars when we play fantasy league coach ball. This list does not factor in longevity, winning percentage, championships or other leading indicators that younger coaches might have achieved.

There are a few with local ties or some history. (bolded below) Definitely intriguing.

Any other names look familiar in this list?

Wins -- CoachStatus
490 – PHIL DANAHERRetired
434 -- RANDY ALLEN
330 -- DENNEY FAITH
311 -- REGINALD SAMPLES
285 -- LARRY HILL
267 -- TIM BUCHANAN
267 -- JASON HERRING
260 -- ROSS ROGERS
256 -- HAL WASSON
251 -- JIMMY THOMPSON
250 -- MARK KIRCHOFF
245 -- JERRY BOMAR
241 -- GARY JOSEPH
239 -- RICHARD BARRETT
233 -- TODD DODGETJ grad, Texas coaching legend w/ 7 state championships, Retiring?
226 -- SAM HARRELL
221 -- TODD RODGERS
216 -- DAVID G. SANCHEZ
215 -- LEE FEDORA
208 -- TONY VILLARREAL
205 -- JAMES MORTON
204 -- BRENT DAVIS
200 -- RAY BILES
198 -- STEVE VAN METER
196 -- BOB WAGER
194 -- BO ROBINSON
193 -- JACK ALVAREZCuero AD\HC
192 -- LES GOAD
191 -- BRYAN WOOD
189 -- SCOTT SURRATT
185 -- CHRIS SOZA
181 -- GARY KOCH
179 -- JAKE FIESZEL
178 -- CHAD MORRIS
174 -- RICKY LOCK
173 -- FINIS VANOVER
170 -- RICHARD WHITAKER
162 -- KEVIN FLANIGANTomball AD\HC, coached at several area schools
162 -- RODNEY WEBB
161 -- SCOTT BROOKS
160 -- DARRELL BARBAYwas at Jasper, just took Mansfield, LA job.
158 -- DAVE HENIGAN
158 -- JEFF MILLER
158 -- JOEL LOPEZ
157 -- FRANK JOHNSON
157 -- WAYNE HUTCHINSON
157 -- CHUCK LIPSEY
157 -- LEE WIGINTON
156 -- MIKE JACKSON
156 -- GRADY ROWE
156 -- CRAIG STUMPTJ grad, Humble Atascocita HC
155 -- KERRY THERWHANGER
154 -- RICK RHOADES
154 -- KYLE MAXFIELD
152 -- BRAIN BRAZIL
152 -- KYLE STORY
151 -- JOHN CAMPBELL
151 -- CHRIS KOETTING
151 -- GREG OWENS
151 -- CHAD ROGERS

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
And here's an applicant list from 2009. Only top applicants around back then either declined or were not selected.

Craig Stump, not on the 2009 list. was allegedly interested. See 2009 conversation here.

Kevin Barbay
Fred Bolton
Darrell Andrus
Paul Baird
Frederic Camp
B J Carlton
Huey Chancellor
Lonnie Cook
Jamie Critchlow
Philip Danaher ***possibly withdrawn***
Brandon Faircloth
Chris Garrett
Chuck Griffin
Jason Holman
Robert Howell
Bob Jones
Lonnie Judd
Chuck Langston
Mike Long
Leonard McAngus
Jeff McCord
Jeff Mayfield
Kristopher Micheaux
Chris Morgan
Ronald Poehls
Mike Rabe
Danny Ramsey
Byron Sanford
David Satcher
Paul Smith
Brent Southworth
Rock Stanley
Carl Straube
Jerry Vance ***name withdrawn***
Joe Volentine

VegasNDN

Honestly, very very few fans really have interest in who’s the coach. Aside from dad mom and maw maw only interest is being seen 5 Friday nights shaking hands. For example, when faircloth came everybody thought several wealthy alumni would donate and fund the indoor facility
When you get older education matters more- so no $. Facility cancelled. The first booster club was to promote those Daddies kids. They graduated- not much Boostering going on the last few years.
As far as the entire state looking at us - really doubt it.
We are only special if your looking thru purple lenses.
My opinion
I don't mean every citizen in the Great State. But I can guarantee you that every coach in the coaching arena in Texas is 100% aware of the toxic situation here at PNG. As for boosters, I don't live there or had a child go to school there, but I've given my fair share of money. If the boosters have gone away, I would ask the booster board what they are doing to ramp up activity. There are a ton of alumni that are spread out across the country that have the means to help in many ways...just ask.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t buy into the theory that no one cares. There are a lot of people that care who the coach is and about the success of football and athletics.

Every contact I hear from describes how friends and neighbors in PN and G are talking about some problems that have existed for a long time. A LOT of people are angry and fed up. You can describe it as ‘politics’ or whatever fits. The community wants it to stop.

Whoever or whatever is creating a toxic atmosphere is doing a disservice to the community, school, ISD and all students, fans and alumni. And that was not Brandon Faircloth. It’s time for that to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores