Next Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
PatsCowboy - do you think Danaher was serious about leaving Calallen and coming to PN-G? I doubt it. He withdrew because his family did not want to relocate and the Calallen ISD was naming the stadium field after him. Of course he wanted to protect his name. He knew his family did not want to leave Calallen and the ISD was naming the field after him. If news about him visiting PN-G and applying for the job made the rounds in the Coastal Bend, he would have to explain too much to the good people of Calallen who were busy trying to honor him. If PN-G would have offered him, I think he would have (1) withdrew his name, or (2) turned it down. Same for Jerry Vance. He played the PN-G card knowing his wife did not want to relocate and he used PN-G for a raise. I believe Dr. Randall played the hand she was dealt. The end result was not too bad. PN-G got a coach who now holds the all-time win mark and Danaher got a field named after him, he got a raise, and he still has as many state championships as Faircloth...zero. I do agree with you about Todd Dodge. He's a great coach and he is not leaving DFW/Southlake or the Austin/Lake Travis area for SETX. Good gig as a consultant and he can do it from his home office. Nothing wrong with that. Good work if you can get it. I don't think the next Doug Ethridge, Todd Dodge, Scott Surratt, or someone of that caliber is applying. I think it will be area retreads and young assistant coaches. Hopefully, Coach Dodge can find a gem, vet him for the PN-GISD administration, and help Dr. Gonzales make a solid recommendation to the school board. Glad you are visiting the PN-G website and message board. Enjoyed reading your comments and insight. Stay around and chime-in.

Torino

500+ Posts
I am new here but have followed the Indians longer than most of here have been on this earth. I also will say I have known Todd longer than any poster on here, since Fred asked me to help recruit him even if I didn't like Ronnie. (Remember, Fred's first job out of Arkansas was as an assistant to Buckshot Underwood.)

Todd and his wife love Southlake. I'm not sure they sold their house when they moved to CenTex. He retired from Westlake so they could move back to Southlake and be closer to their grandbabies. Whomever got him to assist PNG is brilliant. PNG has made three major coaching decision that changed football, two bad, one great. Bringing in Doug Etheridge was a stroke of genius. Not bringing in Phil Danaher and/or releasing his name to the Beaumont Surprise were the two of the three stupidest actions by the PNG administration since it started in the 20s.

You want to know who applied, call the Surprise & they will demand the list to publish under the freedom of information act. A superintendent with any class and dignity would have contacted everyone on that list to offer to let them withdraw their name, particularly Danaher. I called her up and told her as much, but she said it would cost her $5,000 to get a TRO. That alone was a huge display of ignorance. $5,000 to preserve the school's dignity and image would have been a small price to pay, but most assuredly local counsel would have done it for free.

The posters on this forum seem to be plugged in and in the know. As I am no longer a taxpayer to the district, but still follow the teams, please ensure that we don't have another embarrassment like that again.

FWIW, I would have hired Danaher regardless of the cost. Good guy, great coach.
Well, state law is what it is. See bandkid's post. I've had to comply with several of those requests and there's not much wiggle room. There are ways to stall, and that was done. In fact, the ISD's stalling was the subject of a special news roundtable on FOX-4 (I think). However, in the end compliance is required.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
One more question for PatsCowboy...what was the third decision you believe impacted PN-G football?
1. Hiring Doug Ethridge (good...no, not good, it was GREAT!)
2. Not hiring Phil Danaher (not good)
3. ?

Thanks. Looking forward to your comments.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
PatsCowboy - do you think Danaher was serious about leaving Calallen and coming to PN-G? I doubt it. He withdrew because his family did not want to relocate and the Calallen ISD was naming the stadium field after him. Of course he wanted to protect his name. He knew his family did not want to leave Calallen and the ISD was naming the field after him. If news about him visiting PN-G and applying for the job made the rounds in the Coastal Bend, he would have to explain too much to the good people of Calallen who were busy trying to honor him. If PN-G would have offered him, I think he would have (1) withdrew his name, or (2) turned it down. Same for Jerry Vance. He played the PN-G card knowing his wife did not want to relocate and he used PN-G for a raise. I believe Dr. Randall played the hand she was dealt. The end result was not too bad. PN-G got a coach who now holds the all-time win mark and Danaher got a field named after him, he got a raise, and he still has as many state championships as Faircloth...zero. I do agree with you about Todd Dodge. He's a great coach and he is not leaving DFW/Southlake or the Austin/Lake Travis area for SETX. Good gig as a consultant and he can do it from his home office. Nothing wrong with that. Good work if you can get it. I don't think the next Doug Ethridge, Todd Dodge, Scott Surratt, or someone of that caliber is applying. I think it will be area retreads and young assistant coaches. Hopefully, Coach Dodge can find a gem, vet him for the PN-GISD administration, and help Dr. Gonzales make a solid recommendation to the school board. Glad you are visiting the PN-G website and message board. Enjoyed reading your comments and insight. Stay around and chime-in.
Likely so on Danaher’s reasons but I also remember his comments on the stone cold reception he got from Burnett and staff when he visited PNG before the hiring. He did not leave with a good impression of PN-G because of that.

Torino

500+ Posts
Likely so on Danaher’s reasons but I also remember his comments on the stone cold reception he got from Burnett and staff when he visited PNG before the hiring. He did not leave with a good impression of PN-G.
Really. Was that in the newspaper? I guess Coach Danaher knew Mr. Burnett because Danaher coached at H-F. And, really couldn't expect a warm welcome from the outgoing staff.

Last edited:

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Really. Was that in the newspaper? I guess Coach Danaher knew Mr. Burnett because Danaher coached at H-F.
No. Someone with very close ties. Given it is now 14 years later I don’t think that’s disclosing anything sensitive.

bandkid

Staff member
Ashly Elam retweeted something from Matt Stepp today. Finalists are in town for interviews this week, and some of them have apparently already been on campus. One of the finalists is a Houston-area HC and the other is a DFW-area coordinator.

That last bit is very interesting given Dodge's involvement.

Last edited:

PatsCowboy

Craig Stump will go on my list as mistake #4.

I know he has known Todd since he was one of his receivers at Port Arthur before turning QB. If he gets the job, somebody please monitor whom he brings in as assistants. One in particular might make me lower my standards and wear black & gold.

bark

1,000+ Posts
Craig Stump will go on my list as mistake #4.

I know he has known Todd since he was one of his receivers at Port Arthur before turning QB. If he gets the job, somebody please monitor whom he brings in as assistants. One in particular might make me lower my standards and wear black & gold.
Thanks for joining us yesterday.

what’s wrong with the assistant you speak of?

Looking forward to seeing your future insights did you attend PNG?coach there? Live there?

PatsCowboy

I tell people that I was born there, sentenced to 17 years, and paroled to The University of Texas. My dad bought his season tickets when the new stadium was built - 52 I think.

He coached at Willowridge, Aldine, Port Arthur, then Atascocita and covered up Robert Joseph (think that's the name). Kid was a great safety, but not much of a human being. Seems he had four felony convictions as a minor. Coach kept him on the team, but also didn't inform recruiters. He got to Austin, committed a felony, then got on the jailhouse phone and told one of his teammates to make sure the witness did not testify against him. Of course it was recorded. Two 4* players flushed their lives away. I've had no use for that coach since, although his original coach at Willowridge I have always had great respect for. He is the one that hired him at Humble and later hired Craig at Humble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores