Next Game: 5A Division II State Championship

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
To Indian Fan and all. Statewide Alumni are active. I am having special purple and white shirts made and are to be ready for pick up on Wed at a local tailor. The shirts say:
PNG TRIBE
TOP OF TEXAS
(BOOKER}

JIM & ANN

It is 486 mile from my house to ATT stadium. We will be traveling on Fri. We will make a number of stops on the way and we will proudly show off the "Purple and White" at every stop.

Over two weeks ago we made our reservations at the Arlington Hilton. So, we will get up early and get over to the stadium as soon as the parking gates open.. When the information is available, will someone direct me to the site that gives the parking lot gate where we need to park.

The parts of my family that will be at the game:
Niece from Argyle
Nephew and his wife and family (6) from Groves
Brother and his wife from Houston

I am also contacting our Class of '59 events coordinator to get out the message that the band kid's and all other auxiliary members can have adequate funds for food.

PS: Booker is the most northern incorporated community in the great state of Texas.

God bless PNG
Please post a picture of the shirts. Ask IndianFan to post it here on the message board, on the website www.pngindians.com, and on the PN-G facebook page. Rock on, PN-G Class of 1959. See you at the game!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
To Indian Fan and all. Statewide Alumni are active. I am having special purple and white shirts made and are to be ready for pick up on Wed at a local tailor. The shirts say:
PNG TRIBE
TOP OF TEXAS
(BOOKER}

JIM & ANN

It is 486 mile from my house to ATT stadium. We will be traveling on Fri. We will make a number of stops on the way and we will proudly show off the "Purple and White" at every stop.

Over two weeks ago we made our reservations at the Arlington Hilton. So, we will get up early and get over to the stadium as soon as the parking gates open.. When the information is available, will someone direct me to the site that gives the parking lot gate where we need to park.

The parts of my family that will be at the game:
Niece from Argyle
Nephew and his wife and family (6) from Groves
Brother and his wife from Houston

I am also contacting our Class of '59 events coordinator to get out the message that the band kid's and all other auxiliary members can have adequate funds for food.

PS: Booker is the most northern incorporated community in the great state of Texas.

God bless PNG
Inspiring. Alumni and fans like yourself are who make PN-G a special place.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Ashly Elam had the same reaction I did to this article. Texasfootball is not up to date with their knowledge about PNG.

One, the 2023 Indians defense is not inferior to the ‘22 team. With all due respect, the ‘23 defense, and overall tram is BETTER team in different ways. That’s not surprising given that so many starters returned from last season and a talented group of backups that played often are now starters.

Yes, some terrific position players were lost to graduation. Crippen, Prosperie, Guarnere, Ware, Droddy, Hinton, Baker, Loftin, Landry, Pena and others. But overall a very good player has filled into each position and performed just as well. For example, we miss the heart and motor of a Mason Droddy on defense but look what 6-2 205 Mason Wuenschell is doing at the outside linebacker position this year.

And second, DCTF must have forgotten that Cole Crippen was the starting QB in 2022 instead of Shea Adams. A 2-year starter who passed for over 5,000 yards in his career and led the Indians offense to the championship game with his arm as the passing game improved and made a big difference in the outcomes of key games.

The oversight might be contributed to the fact that SE TX is small and tucked away in the corner with little significant media coverage. Our nearest metro area sports coverage practically ignores PN-G. They prefer to publish mascot controversy topics rather than recognizing student excellence.

As PN-G continues to walk onto the big stage and remind the state of the school's legacy, I hope and believe that will change.

Xcrystalbeachbum

100+ Posts
Ashly Elam had the same reaction I did to this article. Texasfootball is not up to date with their knowledge about PNG.

One, the 2023 Indians defense is not inferior to the ‘22 team. With all due respect, the ‘23 defense, and overall tram is BETTER team in different ways. That’s not surprising given that so many starters returned from last season and a talented group of backups that played often are now starters.

Yes, some terrific position players were lost to graduation. Crippen, Prosperie, Guarnere, Ware, Droddy, Hinton, Baker, Loftin, Landry, Pena and others. But overall a very good player has filled into each position and performed just as well. For example, we miss the heart and motor of a Mason Droddy on defense but look what 6-2 205 Mason Wuenschell is doing at the outside linebacker position this year.

And second, DCTF must have forgotten that Cole Crippen was the starting QB in 2022 instead of Shea Adams. A 2-year starter who passed for over 5,000 yards in his career and led the Indians offense to the championship game with his arm as the passing game improved and made a big difference in the outcomes of key games.

The oversight might be contributed to the fact that SE TX is small and tucked away in the corner with little significant media coverage. Our nearest metro area sports coverage practically ignores PN-G. They prefer to publish mascot controversy topics rather than recognizing student excellence.

As PN-G continues to walk onto the big stage and remind the state of the school's legacy, I hope and believe that will change.
Yea they pretty much blew over the fact we have a sophomore QB and a running back with close to 2,000 yards rushing but we still got to beat them on the field. We do it this time because we are now such a balanced offensive threat. Teams have been stacking the box and we beat them with pass. They play a standard 4 2 defense and we pound them on the ground.

Come'on coach throw to the TE or the fullback...they will be wide open. Throw those slants...easy money.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts

Not much respect from the prognosticators. Bit surprised Stepp is the ONLY one who picked us.

cal81

Would anyone have guessed 5 years ago that we’d be here going to our second consecutive finals ?
I’ll be honest I didn’t expect it.
No. I thought that we would never get close to being in a state championship because we couldn't ever beat a big Houston or Dallas school. I'm glad I was wrong. This is where the bar should have been set and needs to stay. We proved it last year. I told people in August during the first week of practice that I would not be surprised if we make it back to the title game at AT&T stadium. I'm so happy the coaches and team proved me right!

Furthermore, I see us making it back to Arlington again more in the near future!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Success feeds on success. Just like prior decades, there are a lot kids growing up and taking all this in, and dreaming of the day they can play in front of huge crowds and maybe become the reason that Cherokee is played during a game. Some will say, "You just described every town in Texas that plays high school football". They don't understand. It IS different in Port Neches and Groves but they can't comprehend it until they experience it. Here's to hoping that this 2022, 2023, 2024... run will generate all the benefits that the McCollum/Ford era, Burnett era, Ethridge era, and yes even the Faircloth era generated with the community and program. It's tough to maintain, but maybe the stars have aligned and destiny is smiling on PN-G.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
When on defense the Indians will line up against this SOC front. Player position could be off in a couple of cases.

C 58 6-1 260
RG 72 6-4 317
LG 51 6-3 276
RT 71 6-5 280
LT 50 6-3 300

Hernandez, Cabrera and Fuentes can bang with these guys. They've proven it. The 2022 defense went toe to toe with an even bigger SOC o-line last year and stymied their run game.

MOM2INDIANS

500+ Posts
Did I see that right in the highlight video against Emerson?? SOC was 2 of 8 on 3rd down conversions? So they can be stopped. Emerson had several turn overs, one being returned for 6. That can't happen. Bailey has shown nerves of steel behind our big line. In Conner Bailey we trust! Stop the run and make SOC pass. I believe the SOC QB has thrown 6 interceptions this season. We have some ball grabbers on defense. This can be done. Play all 4 quarters. Fans, they call us rabid for a reason. Be loud and don't sit down. Make the yellow flags fly with false starts. We were making up chants in the stands last game. I even heard a "See you at Bucees" chant. The wave was even going in the upper deck.....several times...it was pretty pitiful but we tried...lol. Anything and every thing. Any distraction. It's SHOWTIME!....for real.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I like ‘Bandkid’s’ previous idea of cheer leaders responsible for managing crowd cheers. And we need more D-E-F-E-N-S-E chanting as in every defensive series. Don’t stop.

MOM2INDIANS

500+ Posts
I like ‘Bandkid’s’ previous idea of cheer leaders responsible for managing crowd cheers. And we need more D-E-F-E-N-S-E chanting as in every defensive series. Don’t stop.
I agree. It would be much more effective if it were coordinated. If War Chant isn't playing then Defense chant needs to be happening. All the new stadiums are nice, but I'm not a fan of the 2 tiered stacked ones. It's hard to see the cheerleaders on the sidelines if you're on the upper level, and the band is stuck below and all I could hear was an echo. Our clapping to Cherokee was all off.

PNG742

When on defense the Indians will line up against this SOC front. Player position could be off in a couple of cases.

C 58 6-1 260
RG 72 6-4 317
LG 51 6-3 276
RT 71 6-5 280
LT 50 6-3 300

Hernandez, Cabrera and Fuentes can bang with these guys. They've proven it. The 2022 defense went toe to toe with an even bigger SOC o-line last year and stymied their run game.
SOC offense can be stopped. It was 10-10 at half last week and did not have a first down.

100+ Posts
We can beat them. They're not unbeatable. There's talk on here or maybe some other site about which PNG team is better, '22 or this '23 team. That serves no purpose, and is hard to compare anyway. The teams are very similar, with lots of returning players that played regularly last year. If we play as mistake free as possible and have decent refs who will flag the holding and PFs, then I have no doubt that we will take them.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
It was Dave Campbell Texas Football talking about how neither team is as good as last year.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Did I see that right in the highlight video against Emerson?? SOC was 2 of 8 on 3rd down conversions? So they can be stopped. Emerson had several turn overs, one being returned for 6. That can't happen. Bailey has shown nerves of steel behind our big line. In Conner Bailey we trust! Stop the run and make SOC pass. I believe the SOC QB has thrown 6 interceptions this season. We have some ball grabbers on defense. This can be done. Play all 4 quarters. Fans, they call us rabid for a reason. Be loud and don't sit down. Make the yellow flags fly with false starts. We were making up chants in the stands last game. I even heard a "See you at Bucees" chant. The wave was even going in the upper deck.....several times...it was pretty pitiful but we tried...lol. Anything and every thing. Any distraction. It's SHOWTIME!....for real.

I think that in addition to avoiding turnovers, playing well all 4 quarters is the key. We need to get off to a quick start like we usually do, but we can’t afford to let off the gas until the final tick of the clock. SOC has shown that if you don’t play well the entire game. or if you fail to effectively counter adjustments they make as the game progresses, they can turn a close game into a comfortable lead pretty quickly like they did against Emerson (or can overcome a deficit like they did against us last year). Nevertheless, I think that with the right play calling (which I trust the coaching staff to execute), if we play as well as we are capable for a full 4 quarters they will have a hard time beating us.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores